Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Absent from the body...have a question

Matt 10:28

Matthew 10:28

Since both soul [life]and body can be destroyed in hell "Gehenna"---the garbage dump outside the walls of Jerusalem, this indicates that the soul [psuche] is as destructible as the body.

The Greek word, "psuche" translated "soul" in this verse has the meaning of "life".

In Matt. 16:25, "psuche" is translated "life": "For whosoever shall save his life [psuche] shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life [psuche] for my sake shall find it."

In the R.S.V. "psuche" is translated "life" in Matt 16:26: "For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life."

The similarity of context suggests that "life" in Matt. 10:28 should be read for "soul".

http://www.bbie.org/WrestedScriptures/B ... 10v28.html

Okay, now I am a little confuesed...am I triune?

Body.....physical body that dies

Spirit--the personality...my real self that lives on

Soul----the life in this body... that dies

awake or asleep in Christ

"For God has destined us not for wrath but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep we may live with him" (1 Thess. 5:9-10).

Here Paul contrasts those who are alive [awake] and those who are dead [asleep] in the Lord.

so that whether we are awake or asleep we may live with him" (1 Thess. 5:9-10).

Here Paul contrasts those who are alive [awake] and those who are dead [asleep] in the Lord.

Yes he does. But notice how he says those who are asleep live with him.

...so that whether we are awake or asleep we may live with him" (1 Thess. 5:9-10).

IMO, in due course.

When we are all resurrected at the second coming.

Some will still be alive when Christ returns, some will be dead [asleep]; the dead shall rise first and we which are alive shall be caught up with them in the air, in the clouds; and so shall we ever be with the LORD.

...."Abraham's bosom"....

There is no doubt as to how the Bible uses the word "bosom".

In Isaiah 40:11, we find God will care for His people as a shepherd does his sheep, carrying them "in His bosom".

Jesus was "in the bosom" of the Father (Jn. 1:18), enjoying the Father's blessings and close relationship.

Moses carried the children of Israel in his bosom (Num. 11:12). To be in one's bosom is to have that one's love and protection, and share his blessings and inheritance.

Lazarus being carried away by the angels (Matt. 25:31) into Abraham's bosom, means he was carried - not up to Heaven - but into the status of a son and heir of Abraham (Gal. 3:29).

Lazarus being carried away by the angels (Matt. 25:31) into Abraham's bosom, means he was carried - not up to Heaven - but into the status of a son and heir of Abraham (Gal. 3:29).

The Jews believed Abraham's bosom was the place where the righteous dead went to await the resurrection in bliss. This is consistent wih the story.

......where the righteous dead went to await the resurrection.....

Free,
If the dead are already alive in some blissful place, what's the use of the resurrection?

In most places in the Bible, it is called the resurrection of the dead.

How can God bring people back from the dead, if they are already alive.

Jesus says the good people and the bad people are still in their graves - graveyard dead - John 5: 28-29 ----- not some blissful place.

If the dead are already alive in some blissful place, what's the use of the resurrection?

In most places in the Bible, it is called the resurrection of the dead.

I have given you the Jewish meaning of "Abraham's bosom," and that would be what this passage is talking about.

How can God bring people back from the dead, if they are already alive.

Well that's the whole point of this thread, isn't it? Man has a soul which remains alive after we die and then God sill resurrect the bodies.

Maatt. 22:32, "`I AM THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, AND THE GOD OF ISAAC, AND THE GOD OF JACOB'? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.""

And everything I have stated is consistent with this verse:

Matt. 17:3, "And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him."

Jesus says the good people and the bad people are still in their graves - graveyard dead - John 5: 28-29 ----- not some blissful place.

It doesn't matter what word Jesus uses, they are physically dead as far as we are concerned. You have to reconcile this with the rest of the verses that you have been given.

Matt. 16:25 - "For whosoever shall save his life [psuche] shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life [psuche] for my sake shall find it."*

In the R.S.V. "psuche" is translated "life" in vs. 26: "For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life."

* "Obviously if the words "immortal soul" were substituted for "life" in this reference, the result would be absurd."

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/psuche.html

I don't believe the Bible teaches that man has an immortal soul.

I can't find it in any of these references ---

Doesn't matter. I've given verses which prove that man lives after he dies and there are a few more. The Bible is pretty clear on that.

Free,

Doesn't matter. I've given verses which prove that man lives after he dies and there are a few more. The Bible is pretty clear on that.

You are absolutely correct. Man does live after he dies.

BUT WHEN ? ---- immediately after death, or at Jesus' return..........

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be MADE ALIVE. But every MAN in his own order: Christ first; afterward they that are Christ's AT HIS COMING (1 Cor. 15:22-23).

IMO that's as clear as crystal.

Except that the passage in Luke is clear that these men are dead and not resurrected. The passage in Matthew is very self-explanatory as well.

Re: Matt 10:28

Bob10 said:
Matthew 10:28

Since both soul [life]and body can be destroyed in hell "Gehenna"---the garbage dump outside the walls of Jerusalem, this indicates that the soul [psuche] is as destructible as the body.

HI there!

:fadein:

You really don't have a clue, do you?

Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament

Destroy both soul and body in hell (kai psuchn kai swma apolesai en geennh). Note "soul" here of the eternal spirit, not just life in the body. "Destroy" here is not annihilation, but eternal punishment in Gehenna (the real hell) for which see on "Mt 5:22". ....

We need not use "indications" unless your intepretation is the only "indication" to be considered.

~thanks again for sharing~

Bob10 said:
Matt. 16:25 - "For whosoever shall save his life [psuche] shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life [psuche] for my sake shall find it."*

In the R.S.V. "psuche" is translated "life" in vs. 26: "For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life."

* "Obviously if the words "immortal soul" were substituted for "life" in this reference, the result would be absurd."

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/psuche.html

HI there!

Perhaps the Revised Standard Version would not be a good reference point since they are not a word-for-word translation but, instead in "thought units".

Let's apply your "absurd" statement....

For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his immortal life.

Works for me. If one worships this world, one will never see eternal life, but instead will endure eternal death.

~serapha~

Back