Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Are Christians to keep the Sabbath?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
How far did Paul travel on Saturday to "keep the Sabbath"?

I don't know how far he walked but....Saturday, the seventh day, is the Sabbath.

Why would Paul write this -

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Colossians 2:16-17

Please consider that the meaning of the above may be...when you keep the feasts and sabbaths, when you eat and drink as instructed....don't let others judge you. Because they don't follow His instructions you shouldn't allow them to judge you.

They are a "shadow of things to come" but does that mean they are then null and void when the shadow comes to fruition? Do the foods that weren't good for us suddely become good for us?

and again, why would Paul write this -

4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. 5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. Romans 14:4-6

When you are in Christ, you have entered His rest! Thats the reality of the shadow of the sabbath!

He is your rest!

He is your righteousness!

He fulfilled the Law in your place, because you can't!

JLB

I very much agree with that...He became our rest, our Sabbath. However I struggle with how or if the literal day should be observed. To my way of thinking, as He is our Sabbath, if we keep Him always in our hearts and minds then we are fulfilling keeping the Sabbath holy. But, what then of not working? How does that fit into the understanding?

I don't know how far he walked but....Saturday, the seventh day, is the Sabbath.

Please consider that the meaning of the above may be...when you keep the feasts and sabbaths, when you eat and drink as instructed....don't let others judge you. Because they don't follow His instructions you shouldn't allow them to judge you.

They are a "shadow of things to come" but does that mean they are then null and void when the shadow comes to fruition? Do the foods that weren't good for us suddely become good for us?

I very much agree with that...He became our rest, our Sabbath. However I struggle with how or if the literal day should be observed. To my way of thinking, as He is our Sabbath, if we keep Him always in our hearts and minds then we are fulfilling keeping the Sabbath holy. But, what then of not working? How does that fit into the understanding?

First of all, I believe everybody needs to take a day off. We need a day of peace and rest.

If a person works all the time and does not take time to enjoy the fruits of his labor, there will be no motivation to continue to be productive and eventually he will "burn out".

This is "rest" in it's most elementary level.

The commandment instructs us, not to keep the Sabbath, but to keep the Sabbath holy.

What is considered "keeping the Sabbath holy"?

The rest that the Lord has in mind is the "seventh day" which is the last 1000 years.

For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest,' " although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all His works"; 5 and again in this place: "They shall not enter My rest." 6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, "Today," after such a long time, as it has been said: "Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts." 8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. Hebrews 4:3-8

The last 1000 years is the seventh "day", But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

JLB

sabbath is for jews, not gentiles.

gentiels do not even know how to hold sabbath.
it is more than just not working.

And every one of them were Nailed to the Cross:

Colossians 2:14 (KJV)
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Pulling a scripture out of context and misreading it can leadone astray. What is the subject here?

Col 2:8 Beware lestany man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition ofmen, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

The subject is man made ordinances. The Ten Commandments were never called thehandwriting of ordinances, in fact…

Col 2:14 Blotting outthe handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us,and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Handwriting of ordinances

Handwriting:

G5498
χειρόγραφον
cheirographon
khi-rog'-raf-on
Neuter of a compound of G5495 and G1125; something handwritten (“chirograph”), that is, a manuscript (specifically a legal document orbond (figuratively)): - handwriting.

Ordinances:

G1378
δόγμα
dogma
dog'-mah
From the base of G1380; a law (civil, ceremonial orecclesiastical): - decree, ordinance.

So these were handwritten civil, ceremonial orecclesiastical decrees or ordinances that were handwritten in a manuscript.

Contrast that to the Ten Commandments…

Deu 9:10 And the LORDdelivered unto me two tables of stone written with the finger of God;and on them was written according to all the words, which the LORD spake with youin the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly.

Now these handwritings of ordinances were against us, but the Law of God is what…

Deu 5:29 O that therewere such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all mycommandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their childrenfor ever!

Psa 19:7 The law ofthe LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure,making wise the simple.

Psa 19:8 The statutesof the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD ispure, enlightening the eyes.

Psa 19:9 The fear ofthe LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true andrighteous altogether.

Psa 19:10 More to bedesired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honeyand the honeycomb.

Psa 19:11 Moreover bythem is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

David did not believe that the Law of God was against him,in fact he thought the diametric opposite. He said the Law of God converted the soul.

What is the law of Christ? Hmmm, let’s look at this…

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

So we see that the Word was the Creator…

Col 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
Col 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Col 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Jesus Christ was the Creator God of Gen 1, He made all things. Now let’s read a couple of His quotes…

Joh 5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

Joh 6:46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

So no man has seen the Father or heard His voice at any time…

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

So who was talking to Adam? The Word, the One who became Jesus Christ, because no man has seen the Father.

Exo 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.
Exo 33:20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
Exo 33:21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
Exo 33:22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
Exo 33:23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

So Moses saw the backside of Someone, but it was not the Father, no one has ever seen His shape. Moses talked with and saw the backside of the one we know as Jesus Christ.

Now what else did Christ say…

Deu 5:1 And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.
Deu 5:2 The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.
Deu 5:3 The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.
Deu 5:4 The LORD talked with you face to face in the mount out of the midst of the fire,

So the Eternal God talked to Israel, what did He say?

Deu 5:6 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
Deu 5:7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me.
Deu 5:8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:
Deu 5:9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,
Deu 5:10 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
Deu 5:11 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Deu 5:12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.
Deu 5:13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:
Deu 5:14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.
Deu 5:15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.
Deu 5:16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Deu 5:17 Thou shalt not kill.
Deu 5:18 Neither shalt thou commit adultery.
Deu 5:19 Neither shalt thou steal.
Deu 5:20 Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Deu 5:21 Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbour's.
Deu 5:22 These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.
Deu 5:23 And it came to pass, when ye heard the voice out of the midst of the darkness, (for the mountain did burn with fire,) that ye came near unto me, even all the heads of your tribes, and your elders;
Deu 5:24 And ye said, Behold, the LORD our God hath shewed us his glory and his greatness, and we have heard his voice out of the midst of the fire: we have seen this day that God doth talk with man, and he liveth.

He spoke the Ten Commandments. The One who became Jesus Christ gave His law, written with His own finger in stone.

The same One Who said…

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

What do I do to inherit eternal life, why anything I want to the law is done away? Jesus Christ said to inherit eternal life, KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS.

Paul said of the law…

Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

The problem is not with the law, it is with us. We are carnal, we are sinners the Ten Commandments are holy, and just and good.

A few more modern translations shed some light on what the phrase “handwriting of ordinances†really is…

New Living Translation (©2007)
He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross.

English Standard Version (©2001)
by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

International Standard Version (©2008)
having erased the charges that were brought against us, along with their obligations that were hostile to us. He took those charges away when he nailed them to the cross.

What was nailed to the cross, was the note of debt that we owed. Christ paid the penalty for our sins in our stead and that debt was nailed to the cross so that we could be forgiven and given eternal life. What then, are these handwritings of ordinances, Paul goes on to explain…

Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
Col 2:21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
Col 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
Col 2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Plainly stated by Paul here that these were ordinances of men not the Law of God.

Who inherits eternal life?

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

We already saw that the Ten Commandments were the commandments of Christ.

We now receive our message,take collections, and partake of the Lords Supper in remembrance of Him upon the first day of the week (Not the Sabbath):

Perhaps you do, but the only authority you have for this isthe handwritings of ordinances of men, namely the council of Nicea in 325 AD.

Acts 20:7 (KJV) And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2 (KJV) 1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

There are actually three “proof texts†which are used to support Sunday worship, youforgot one. I will deal with each ofthem in a separate post as this one has already become lengthy and I have justhit the highlights of Col 2. So to do some meaningful exegesis on these scriptures will require some space.

First of all, I believe everybody needs to take a day off. We need a day of peace and rest.

If a person works all the time and does not take time to enjoy the fruits of his labor, there will be no motivation to continue to be productive and eventually he will "burn out".

The commandment instructs us, not to keep the Sabbath, but to keep the Sabbath holy.

The rest that the Lord has in mind is the "seventh day" which is the last 1000 years.

For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest,' " although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all His works"; 5 and again in this place: "They shall not enter My rest." 6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, "Today," after such a long time, as it has been said: "Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts." 8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. Hebrews 4:3-8

The last 1000 years is the seventh "day", But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

JLB

Sometimes out of the mouths of babes...

Consider what you just wrote about the seventh day being the Millenium, it is absolutely true. The Sabbath is a type or shadow of that Millenium...

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Don't judge any man for keeping the Holydays, the New Moons or Sabbaths. Doesn't say don't keep them, or that they are done away, it says don't speak against anyone who keeps them, don't judge someone for keeping them. Why?

Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The Sabbath and the Holydays are the shadows of future events. As Paul wrote, "things to come". They are not here yet.

The six day work week is the type of six thousand years of mans "works" under the direction or Satan. The Sabbath is the Millenium of rest under the reign of Jesus Christ. The Sabbath is the shadow of a future event, the 1000 year reign of Christ.

This is one reason the seventh day Sabbath is still in effect, every week it points to the 1000 year reign of Christ that is yet to come.

Sometimes out of the mouths of babes...

Consider what you just wrote about the seventh day being the Millenium, it is absolutely true. The Sabbath is a type or shadow of that Millenium...

Here we go, now you twist scripture again taking a verse in the bible that simply states that time as we know it is meaningless to God, comparing time to eternity there is no long and short and like other scripture you have to twist it to fit your MAN MADE doctrine contrary to the doctrine of Christ... this scripture has absolutely NOTHING to do with millennial man made doctrine or the Sabath!

5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
Matt 12:5 (KJV)

[The Sabbath law is not reenacted in the new covenant, or New Testament. When the disciples plucked the ears of corn and ate them on the Sabbath, the Pharisees remonstrated with the Master for his desecration of the day by his disciples. Jesus answered them that "the Son of man is lord of the sabbath." This shows that Jesus was "lord" or ruler "of the sabbath" and that he had the right to annul its requirements as God did in the two examples noted. Jesus fulfilled the law in his own body, rested in the grave on the Sabbath, took it out of the way, and rose from the dead on the first day of the week and "brought life and immortality to light." He introduced the new and everlasting covenant. This covenant rested on the truth that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. He was "declared to be the Son of God with power,... by the resurrection from the dead." (Rom. 1:4.) He was raised from the dead on the first day of the week, and in the new dispensation this was consecrated as the day of all days, the day of perpetual worship. Jesus met with the disciples on the first day of the week, and on the second first day he again met with them, not having met with them during the intervening time. The Holy Spirit descended from heaven to earth to begin his personal ministry on the first day, Pentecost, and on this day took up his abode with the church of God to guide it into the fullness of all truth. (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:1, 2.) The first day of the week was thus sanctified by Christ and the Holy Spirit as the Lord's day, the day for the Lord's worship. From this time forward it is called "the Lord's day." (Rev. 1:10.)]
—Gospel Advocate Commentaries

Here we go, now you twist scripture again taking a verse in the bible that simply states that time as we know it is meaningless to God, comparing time to eternity there is no long and short and like other scripture you have to twist it to fit your MAN MADE doctrine contrary to the doctrine of Christ... this scripture has absolutely NOTHING to do with millennial man made doctrine or the Sabath!

Time is meaningless to God?

Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

God is the author of time.

I see that you used no scripture but again used opinion to support your doctrine. I simply quoted the scripture and showed what it plainly says.

sabbath is for jews, not gentiles.

gentiels do not even know how to hold sabbath.
it is more than just not working.

The Sabbath of the Jews?

Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Lev 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

Deu 5:14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Mar 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

I never learned to spell Jew L-O-R-D, we must have went to different schools.

5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

[The Sabbath law is not reenacted in the new covenant, or New Testament. When the disciples plucked the ears of corn and ate them on the Sabbath, the Pharisees remonstrated with the Master for his desecration of the day by his disciples. Jesus answered them that "the Son of man is lord of the sabbath." This shows that Jesus was "lord" or ruler "of the sabbath" and that he had the right to annul its requirements as God did in the two examples noted. Jesus fulfilled the law in his own body, rested in the grave on the Sabbath, took it out of the way, and rose from the dead on the first day of the week and "brought life and immortality to light." He introduced the new and everlasting covenant. This covenant rested on the truth that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. He was "declared to be the Son of God with power,... by the resurrection from the dead." (Rom. 1:4.) He was raised from the dead on the first day of the week, and in the new dispensation this was consecrated as the day of all days, the day of perpetual worship. Jesus met with the disciples on the first day of the week, and on the second first day he again met with them, not having met with them during the intervening time. The Holy Spirit descended from heaven to earth to begin his personal ministry on the first day, Pentecost, and on this day took up his abode with the church of God to guide it into the fullness of all truth. (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:1, 2.) The first day of the week was thus sanctified by Christ and the Holy Spirit as the Lord's day, the day for the Lord's worship. From this time forward it is called "the Lord's day." (Rev. 1:10.)]

Ah, and the disciples plucking the grain and eating it is a perfect example of Col 2 and the ordinances of men. There is no scripture in God's word that forbids plucking grain and eating it on the Sabbath.

In the quote you C&P'd and in rrowell's post reference was made to the New Covenant. Just what is the New Covenant?

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And just in case you want to say that since that it is the OT it is not New Covenant teaching...

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Notice where the problem lay, not with the law, but with them, the people.

Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Writing God's law in our hearts and minds is the New Covenant, not abolishing the law.

Ah, and the disciples plucking the grain and eating it is a perfect example of Col 2 and the ordinances of men. There is no scripture in God's word that forbids plucking grain and eating it on the Sabbath.

8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Col 2:8 (KJV)

@rrowell,

How about explaining these direct quotes of Christ for me...

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

And this one of Paul...

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

In the quote you C&P'd and in rrowell's post reference was made to the New Covenant. Just what is the New Covenant?

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And just in case you want to say that since that it is the OT it is not New Covenant teaching...

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Notice where the problem lay, not with the law, but with them, the people.

Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Writing God's law in our hearts and minds is the New Covenant, not abolishing the law.

I quote scripture from KJV and the Gospel Advocate.

The new coventant is the New Testament....

Last edited by a moderator:
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Col 2:8 (KJV)

Exactly, the prohibition against plucking grain and eating it was a tradition of the pharisees and a rudiment of what? The Word of God? Can't find it in God's Word, it is a rudiment of the world and not after Christ.

Isa 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

So who made the Sabbath a burden? God? Christ, the one who created it and instituted it?

Mat 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
Mat 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
Mat 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

So in the law of Moses, which is different from the Law of God by the way, where does it say not to pluck grain on the Sabbath? It does not. This was one of many heavy burdens laid on the people by the Pharisees.

I quote scripture from KJV and the Gospel Advocate.

The new coventant is the New Testament....

Actually, it is not. This is the New Covenant...

Or so says God through Jeremiah and Paul.

JLB

Thank you JLB...I too believe it points to the millennium and is the rest we are to enter. I also agree with keeping the Sabbath holy. But my mind still questions the literal aspect of the commandment. Was the literal done away with when Jesus came in flesh?

Here He refers to "My sabbaths," plural which I see as literal days. Words like "forever, perpetual, generations," are used which lead me to think more is being asked than entering the millennium or keeping Jesus Christ holy in our lives.

Exodus 31:12-17 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily My sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.

I see this spiritually as I do the food laws and what they symbolize and yet....I still observe the food laws literally because they were written to be followed. I do not observe the literal Sabbath for I work in my home on Saturdays. I wonder if I may be justifying this because...I want to work on Saturdays as well as need to?

I don't know the answer but the question has always bothered me.

Exactly, the prohibition against plucking grain and eating it was a tradition of the pharisees and a rudiment of what? The Word of God? Can't find it in God's Word, it is a rudiment of the world and not after Christ.

Isa 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

So who made the Sabbath a burden? God? Christ, the one who created it and instituted it?

Mat 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
Mat 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
Mat 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

So in the law of Moses, which is different from the Law of God by the way, where does it say not to pluck grain on the Sabbath? It does not. This was one of many heavy burdens laid on the people by the Pharisees.

I think we agree...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back