Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Are Christians to keep the Sabbath?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Thank you JLB...I too believe it points to the millennium and is the rest we are to enter. I also agree with keeping the Sabbath holy. But my mind still questions the literal aspect of the commandment. Was the literal done away with when Jesus came in flesh?

Here He refers to "My sabbaths," plural which I see as literal days. Words like "forever, perpetual, generations," are used which lead me to think more is being asked than entering the millennium or keeping Jesus Christ holy in our lives.

Exodus 31:12-17 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily My sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.

I see this spiritually as I do the food laws and what they symbolize and yet....I still observe the food laws literally because they were written to be followed. I do not observe the literal Sabbath for I work in my home on Saturdays. I wonder if I may be justifying this because...I want to work on Saturdays as well as need to?

I don't know the answer but the question has always bothered me.

Interestingly enough, no one questions whether the sixth Commandment is literal, we all know that not murdering is not just figurative or a thought process, it is literal.

We all know that the seventh Commandment is literal, the physical act of adultery is sin.

We know that taking the LORD's name in vain is sin. That asking God to condemn someone or something is a sin.

Is lying a sin? (Bearing false witness)

Why would the fourth Commandment be any different? Why would we spiritualize away the keeping to the fourth Commandment, but not the others?

So let's look at a scripture that gets abused...

Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
Jas 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

So if one does not commit adultery and does not kill but trangresses the Sabbath command, is he guilty of all? James says yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time is meaningless to God?

Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

God is the author of time.

I see that you used no scripture but again used opinion to support your doctrine. I simply quoted the scripture and showed what it plainly says.

I was responding to the scripture you miss used, this one:

2 Peter 3:8 (KJV)
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Time here explained is meaningless to God, there is no "to long a time" or "to short a time", 1 day to God is as 1000 years to God, or in other words pointless...

It has NOTHING to do with any false doctrine of a 1000 year rein (Millennialism)...

Your twisting scripture to fit your man made doctrine because you cannot find real scripture to support it!

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Time here explained is meaningless to God, there is no "to long a time" or "to short a time", 1 day to God is as 1000 years to God, or in other words pointless...

It has NOTHING to do with any false doctrine of a 1000 year rein (Millennialism)...

Your twisting scripture to fit your man made doctrine because you cannot find real scripture to support it!

Yepper, and you missed these also...

Num 14:34 After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years, and ye shall know my breach of promise.

Eze 4:6 And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year.

And then look at Dan 9 and we see this day for year principle carried out exactly to the day.

God the inventor and creator of time knows time far more intricately and accurately than we do and does use time.

You mean this false doctrine?

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
Rev 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Interestingly enough, you are discounting a portion of this book (Revelation)

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Good luck with that, you are going to need it.

Interestingly enough, no one questions whether the sixth Commandment is literal, we all know that not murdering is not just figurative or a thought process, it is literal.

We all know that the seventh Commandment is literal, the physical act of adultery is sin.

We know that taking the LORD's name in vain is sin. That asking God to condemn someone or something is a sin.

Is lying a sin? (Bearing false witness)

Why would the fourth Commandment be any different? Why would we spiritualize away the keeping to the fourth Commandment, but not the others?

So let's look at a scripture that gets abused...

Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
Jas 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

So if one does not commit adultery and does not kill but trangresses the Sabbath command, is he guilty of all? James says yes.

The difference, as I see it, is that He fulfilled many things for they were shadows of what was to come and...He did. None of the ones mentioned above would qualify for that.

That being said, I still do wonder about the literal Sabbath days and not working.

Mark 2:27 And He said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Seen spiritually, the Sabbath/Jesus, the Son of God was the "word made flesh" for man...not man for Him.

Seen literally, the Sabbath/Saturdays was made for man to rest for God didn't need us to provide rest for Him.

There are times "thousand" is Biblically understood as...lots and lots of time. But there are also verses, as in the thousand years as a day to God [2 Peter 3:8] meaning....a thousand as in the millennium [Rev.11:3]. A specific length of time or specific number.

The difference, as I see it, is that He fulfilled many things for they were shadows of what was to come and...He did. None of the ones mentioned above would qualify for that.

That being said, I still do wonder about the literal Sabbath days and not working.

Mark 2:27 And He said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
Seen spiritually, the Sabbath/Jesus, the Son of God was the "word made flesh" for man...not man for Him.

Seen literally, the Sabbath/Saturdays was made for man to rest for God didn't need us to provide rest for Him.

When Jesus said He fulfilled the law what is the context?

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Mat 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Mat 5:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Here is the sixth Commandment fulfilled. It is obviously not done away, but fulfilling (filling full) gives it a much deeper meaning than was previously understood.

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Here is the seventh Commandment fulfilled, filled full.

When we speak of the New Covenant, writing the law in our hearts and minds, this is exactly what Christ was explaining here.

Christ came to magnify the law...

Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

Here is a little thought experiment for us to ponder, take two styrofoam cups, fill one with water and pick it up in your right hand. Now pick the empty one up in your left hand and crush it and discard it. Which one did you fulfill? The one you crushed and discarded? or the one you filled to the brim with water?

Same with the law, Christ did not crush and discard His law, He filled it to the brim with spiritual meaning.

Now apply this to the Sabbath. It has much spiritual meaning exemplified by the water up to the top, but is the cup itself, the physical keeping of the Sabbath done away?

Now the physical is magnified with the filling to the top with the spiritual.

In the quote you C&P'd and in rrowell's post reference was made to the New Covenant. Just what is the New Covenant?

You have to be kidding right? how can one consider themselves a "Christian" yet don't know what the "New Covenant" is? the one Christ died to enact?

Hebrews 9:16 (KJV)
For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Notice where the problem lay, not with the law, but with them, the people.

Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Writing God's law in our hearts and minds is the New Covenant, not abolishing the law.
EXACTLY, the people would not follow the law of Moses and there was no salvation in it... he abolished it!

"abolish", "annulling", or "waxeth old" or "decayeth" or "vanish away" is NOT "destroying"...

In fact He clearly states he did not come to "destroy" the law but to fulfill it:

Matthew 5:17 (KJV)
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

The "law" was not an abomination, it was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ:

Galatians 3:24 (KJV)
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Note the word "faith" here? it is now also "laws into their mind" and "in their hearts" Heb. 8:10

The old law was Nailed to the Cross:

Colossians 2:14 (KJV)
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Making a new covenant making the old obsolete:

Hebrews 8:13 (KJV)
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

No longer subject to the ministry of death and condemnation:

2 Corinthians 3:7 (KJV) But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

Our instruction for doctrine and practice now come from the law of Christ, the New Testament.

We now receive our message,take collections, and partake of the Lords Supper in remembrance of Him upon the first day of the week (Not the Sabbath):

Acts 20:7 (KJV) And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2 (KJV) 1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

It doesn't get any clearer than that!

There are times "thousand" is Biblically understood as...lots and lots of time. But there are also verses, as in the thousand years as a day to God [2 Peter 3:8] meaning....a thousand as in the millennium [Rev.11:3]. A specific length of time or specific number.

If you are referring to the so called "thousand year reign" false doctrine Ill be glad to address it, just start the thread but it does not belong in this one!

You have to be kidding right? how can one consider themselves a "Christian" yet don't know what the "New Covenant" is? the one Christ died to enact?

Hebrews 9:16 (KJV)
For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

EXACTLY, the people would not follow the law of Moses and there was no salvation in it... he abolished it!

Not what it says at all, the covenant and the law are two different things. Here is the Old Covenant...

Exo 19:8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

The Old Covenant was the agreement that Israel would do all that God said and that He would do all that He said...

Exo 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
Exo 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

H1285
בּרית
berı̂yth
ber-eeth'
From H1262 (in the sense of cutting (like H1254)); a compact (because made by passing between pieces of flesh): - confederacy, [con-]feder[-ate], covenant, league.

Do you see anything in there about law? The Old Covenant is a compact, a confederacy, a league, an agreement between God and the people. The Law is separate from this, the Law is simply the rules and regulations of the Covenant. If one side of the covenant breaks the rules of the covenant, does that abolish the rules? It wasn't the rules that were in question, it was the agreement, the Covenant. By the way, the God who made the covenant and gave the rules did not break anything, the people did not keep the rules of the covenant.

Tell you what, you go make a legal covenant with your neighbor with certain rules that apply. Now break those rules and when your neighbor hauls you into court, see if the judge agrees with you that you breaking the rules nullifies the covenant. I am pretty sure your neighbor will have his way with you in court. I don't think you understand what a covenant is.

"abolish", "annulling", or "waxeth old" or "decayeth" or "vanish away" is NOT "destroying"...

In fact He clearly states he did not come to "destroy" the law but to fulfill it:

Matthew 5:17 (KJV)
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

And then He said that not one jot or tittle would pass from the law until all is fulfilled. Has He returned yet? Is all fulfilled? Has heaven and earth passed away?

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

I walked across the earth this morning to get in to my car, and I can see the sun in the heaven. Is the law passed away?

The "law" was not an abomination, it was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ:

Galatians 3:24 (KJV)
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Note the word "faith" here? it is a now also "laws into their mind" and "in their hearts" Heb. 8:10

I will have to deal with this in a seaparate post. Instead of throwing up a one liner and trying to make it say something it absolutely does not, I will give an in depth explanation.

The old law was Nailed to the Cross:

Colossians 2:14 (KJV)
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Dealt with this one already, I showed that the handwriting of ordinance was of men...

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
Col 2:21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
Col 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
Col 2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Making a new covenant making the old obsolete:

Hebrews 8:13 (KJV)
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

No longer subject to the ministry of death and condemnation:

2 Corinthians 3:7 (KJV) But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

Our instruction for doctrine and practice now come from the law of Christ, the New Testament.[/quote]

I have shown that Christ gave the Ten Commandments at Sinai, that He then said that the Commandments would not pass away until heaven and earth pass away.

We now receive our message,take collections, and partake of the Lords Supper in remembrance of Him upon the first day of the week (Not the Sabbath):

Acts 20:7 (KJV) And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2 (KJV) 1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

It doesn't get any clearer than that!

I am going to clear up Acts 17, I Cor 16 and Rev 1:10, the other proof text you forgot to mention.

But first, Gal 3...

OK, Gal 3 is an important scripture, but what law is it referring to?

Gal 3:17 Were the Ten Commandments in force before Mt. Sinai? I issued a challenge in that other thread to find the Ten Commandments either in principle or stated prior to Ex 20:1. No one has taken me up on it. I gave the example of the Sabbath prior to Mt. Sinai and here is another…

Gen 20:3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife.
Gen 20:4 But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
Gen 20:5 Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
Gen 20:6 And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.
Gen 20:7 Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.

The death penalty for adultery, and remember these verses…

Rom 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

So there was a law against adultery prior to Mt. Sinai? There certainly was, the Ten Commandments have been in force from the beginning.

How about murder? In your heart?

Gen 4:6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
Gen 4:7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

And remember Rom 4:15 and 5:13.

One can easily find the other seven and that is not what I am addressing here. Now to Gal 3

Was the inheritance, the birthright obtained by Israel’s continued obedience?

Gen 26:3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father;
Gen 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
Gen 26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Only because of Abraham’s obedience and then the promises became unconditional…

Gal 3:16-18

Gen 22:11 And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
Gen 22:12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
Gen 22:13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
Gen 22:14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.
Gen 22:15 And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,
Gen 22:16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
Gen 22:17That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
Gen 22:18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

So, no matter what occurred 430 years later, the birthright was to be given to Israel and the scepter to Judah.

Gal 3:19

What was added?

Deut 5:22 These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.

Jer 7:22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:
Jer 7:23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

Why would the law be added because of transgressions if it were speaking of the Ten Commandments? There is no transgression when there is no law…

Rom 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

If the Ten Commandments were not in force there would be no transgression. By the way, what is sin?

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

If the law is done away, why do you need Christ? There is no sin for there is no law and therefore you do not need a savior? You do not really believe that do you?

Back to Galatians

Gal 3:21

Can the law give life? No. One hundred lifetimes of one hundred years each of perfectly keeping the law will not earn eternal life. It is the gift of God…

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 3:22

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

We have all sinned and earned death. No matter how perfect one is, the law does not give life, but breaking the law guarantees death. But we are saved by grace and faith…

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

But not our faith, the faith of Christ and the grace given to us.

Gal 3:23-25

Prior to Christ’s sacrifice what did one have to do that was of the law?

Exo 29:10 And thou shalt cause a bullock to be brought before the tabernacle of the congregation: and Aaron and his sons shall put their hands upon the head of the bullock.
Exo 29:11 And thou shalt kill the bullock before the LORD, by the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
Exo 29:12 And thou shalt take of the blood of the bullock, and put it upon the horns of the altar with thy finger, and pour all the blood beside the bottom of the altar.
Exo 29:13 And thou shalt take all the fat that covereth the inwards, and the caul that is above the liver, and the two kidneys, and the fat that is upon them, and burn them upon the altar.
Exo 29:14 But the flesh of the bullock, and his skin, and his dung, shalt thou burn with fire without the camp: it is a sin offering.

Exo 29:36 And thou shalt offer every day a bullock for a sin offering for atonement: and thou shalt cleanse the altar, when thou hast made an atonement for it, and thou shalt anoint it, to sanctify it.

The entire fourth chapter of Leviticus deals with what to do in case someone sins.

Why did they have to do this?

Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Sin requires blood, either yours or my blood or the blood of a sacrificial offering.

Heb 9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
Heb 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
Heb 9:13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Heb 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
Heb 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
Heb 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
Heb 9:18 Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.
Heb 9:19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,
Heb 9:20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.
Heb 9:21 Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry.
Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
Heb 9:23 It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
Heb 9:24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
Heb 9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

The entire book of Hebrews should be studied here on our knees. We do not realize the seriousness of sin and the price that had to be paid for us so that we do not have to die. Christ came to fill up the law, to give it a much deeper meaning, not to do away with it. If He came to do away with the law, then why did He have to die? Why not say Abracadabra and just do away with it. Then there would be no sin and no requirement for blood.

That schoolmaster that brought us to Christ was the law of sacrifices. The blood offered in our stead. Now that Christ has come and been hung on the stake, there is no more need for a teacher to show us what was coming, the reality is Christ and Him crucified. The law of sacrifices was not done away either, it was completely satisfied by the perfect Lamb of God…

Joh 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Notice this verse does not say ‘which taketh away the law’, it says ‘which taketh away the penalty of breaking the law’.

This passage in Gal 3 is not referring to the Ten Commandments, it is referring to the law of sacrifices.

so much quoting about nothing.

If jesus wants gentiles to do sabbath he would have strongly said ; do sabbath.
and he did not.

so much quoting about nothing.

If jesus wants gentiles to do sabbath he would have strongly said ; do sabbath.
and he did not.

Interesting, you call quoting the scriptures "nothing".

If Christ wanted to do away with the Sabbath, He would have come out and said 'I have changed Sabbath to Sunday.'

When Jesus said He fulfilled the law what is the context?

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Yes, He fulfilled the Sabbath for He is our Rest.

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Mat 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Mat 5:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Here is the sixth Commandment fulfilled. It is obviously not done away, but fulfilling (filling full) gives it a much deeper meaning than was previously understood.

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Here is the seventh Commandment fulfilled, filled full.

When we speak of the New Covenant, writing the law in our hearts and minds, this is exactly what Christ was explaining here.

Christ came to magnify the law...

Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

Here is a little thought experiment for us to ponder, take two styrofoam cups, fill one with water and pick it up in your right hand. Now pick the empty one up in your left hand and crush it and discard it. Which one did you fulfill? The one you crushed and discarded? or the one you filled to the brim with water?

Same with the law, Christ did not crush and discard His law, He filled it to the brim with spiritual meaning.

LOL. You're preaching to the choir here. I don't think the laws are done away with at all and yes..they are filled with spiritual meaning. I see them as magnified, enhanced but not fulfilled by His Advent.

Luke 24:44 And He said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning Me.

Adultery/idolatry, murder/killing...whether spiritual or literal, wasn't fulfilled by Him. But, He fulfilled the Sabbath for He became our Rest.

Now apply this to the Sabbath. It has much spiritual meaning exemplified by the water up to the top, but is the cup itself, the physical keeping of the Sabbath done away?

Now the physical is magnified with the filling to the top with the spiritual.

That is the question...is the physical keeping done away with? Is keeping the Sabbath Holy in our lives fulfilling the commandment? I would say yes except for the wording, "Sabbaths" and "Sabbath days" for they give me pause. Then I consider the Millennium which points to The Sabbath Day.

Were I on my own I would simply keep the day as literally intended...no work but I'm not on my own and things need to be done for home and family.

no i say your quoting a lot ABOUT nothing.
you quote and quote and quote and nothing in your quotes says
gentiles should keep the shabbth.

If Christ wanted to do away with the Sabbath, He would have come out and said 'I have changed Sabbath to Sunday.'

If Jesus thought it was important he would have told everyone to keep shabbath.
and also how to do it right.
sabbath is for jews only. Christians dont know it and cant do it.

no i say your quoting a lot ABOUT nothing.
you quote and quote and quote and nothing in your quotes says
gentiles should keep the shabbth.

If Jesus thought it was important he would have told everyone to keep shabbath.
and also how to do it right.
sabbath is for jews only. Christians dont know it and cant do it.

Well then here is one for ya...

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

I do believe that "all flesh" includes the gentiles. The gentiles will also keep the Feast days...

Zec 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.
Zec 14:17 And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.
Zec 14:18 And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.
Zec 14:19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

All nations would include the gentiles also, would it not?

What he is saying is your quoting a bunch of old testament scripture and saying NOTHING to support your argument!

We are supposed to be called "Christians", find the word "Christian" in the old testament... quote me that one! you cannot because it is not there, you know why? its in the new testament because Christ started His New Testament Church in the New Testament, and those that follow the New Testament follow HIM making them a Christian!

You have it backwards, if Christ would have wanted us to carry on the commandment of the "Sabbath" he would have told us to do so like he did the other 9 commandants.

What he is saying is your quoting a bunch of old testament scripture and saying NOTHING to support your argument!

We are supposed to be called "Christians", find the word "Christian" in the old testament... quote me that one! you cannot because it is not there, you know why? its in the new testament because Christ started His New Testament Church in the New Testament, and those that follow the New Testament follow HIM making them a Christian!

You have it backwards, if Christ would have wanted us to carry on the commandment of the "Sabbath" he would have told us to do so like he did the other 9 commandants.

Show me the first commandment in the New Testament.

So when He said...

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

What did He mean.

By the way you never got around to explaining...

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

or this...

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back