Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Are Negative thoughts Sin?

The problem is, is that few understand the context of the Bible. That's right . . . the entire Bible.

Yup. "Context is king," but there are spheres of context that begin with the immediate context within a verse, then expand to surrounding verses, then to preceding and following chapters, and then to corresponding verses/passages in other books, and then to the entire counsel of God's word. In properly understanding a verse or passage, the most helpful sphere of context, though, is often the most immediate one, I think.

That's interesting, as I don't pay attention to such details when recognizing the Gospel (the context of the entire Bible), particularly in the Old Testament. Why? Because the Gospel transcends culture and language.

Galatians 3:28 CSB - "There is no Jew or Greek, slave or free, male and female; since you are all one in Christ Jesus."

What Paul was hinting at above . . . that is the Gospel, and that is the context of the entire Bible. The context of the entire Bible answers why there is no Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female in Christ.
I am sorry, but that is very wrong. Yes, salvation makes us all one in God's sight; but to understand what is written you must take all of that context into account.

"Clearly, Paul did not "walk orderly to keep the law." As he wrote, he had been "released from the Law."
Why are you straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel Tenchi ?

Matthew 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

Although you think you had so much to say, you had nothing to say at all. The simplicity that is in Christ, prevents you from having anything to add or take away.

It is a simple situation, the Elder Jews who believed at Jerusalem, required Apostle Paul to do as they said, (to avoid offending the Jews) and the requirement was not for Paul to show he did wrong things, but to show he did right. ( walking orderly.)

Paul confirmed they asked the right thing from him, ( as Apostle Paul did walk orderly in the law/fulfilling the righteousness of the law. Romans 8:4, as all Gentiles also fulfil.) and Paul purified himself with the Jews, for the purpose of confirming Apostle Paul was not an offence towards the Jews ( or to the Gentiles) and we see even that Apostle Paul took part in their custom even, of purifying himself with the Jews who shaved their heads to show to all men exactly that Paul walked orderly. ( to take away offence from the Jews who believed and were zealous in the law.)

If you guys speak of context, why do you ignore the actual situation, of the requirement of Apostle Paul having offended the Jews who believed at Jerusalem, ( by what they heard of him) was willing to be a servant to all, to gain all men. Paul becomes a Jew, to the Jews, to gain them that are under the law.)

Acts 5:23 Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them;
24 Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.
25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.
26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

1 Corinthians 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

1 Corinthians 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:
33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

"Clearly, Paul did not "walk orderly to keep the law." As he wrote, he had been "released from the Law."
Why are you straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel Tenchi ?

Matthew 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

Although you think you had so much to say, you had nothing to say at all. The simplicity that is in Christ, prevents you from having anything to add or take away.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, gordon777, but simply saying I'm doing something doesn't prove that I am. I don't think I'm "straining at a gnat" at all. And you haven't actually shown that I am; you've just asserted that I am, as though your mere saying makes it so. It doesn't.

In any case, I showed that your comment about Paul and the law was quite in error, your comment in obvious opposition to what Paul actually wrote about himself. If that's a "gnat" to you, well, it shows how careless your attitude is toward God's word.

It is a simple situation, the Elder Jews who believed at Jerusalem, required Apostle Paul to do as they said, (to avoid offending the Jews) and the requirement was not for Paul to show he did wrong things, but to show he did right. ( walking orderly.)

Paul confirmed they asked the right thing from him, ( as Apostle Paul did walk orderly in the law/fulfilling the righteousness of the law. Romans 8:4, as all Gentiles also fulfil.) and Paul purified himself with the Jews, for the purpose of confirming Apostle Paul was not an offence towards the Jews ( or to the Gentiles) and we see even that Apostle Paul took part in their custom even, of purifying himself with the Jews who shaved their heads to show to all men exactly that Paul walked orderly. ( to take away offence from the Jews who believed and were zealous in the law.)

If you guys speak of context, why do you ignore the actual situation, of the requirement of Apostle Paul having offended the Jews who believed at Jerusalem, ( by what they heard of him) was willing to be a servant to all, to gain all men. Paul becomes a Jew, to the Jews, to gain them that are under the law.)

What Paul agreed to do for the sake of Jewish believers was an accommodation of their cultural-religious sensitivities, it was not something he HAD to do as a born-again believer set at liberty from the Law, as he had explained to the Gentile believers in Galatia. It would have been troubling to Jewish believers to throw off completely, in one fell swoop, the OT Mosaic Law that had governed their lives in so many ways. But this was a weakness on their part, a feature of their inability to live fully in the truth of their new identity in Christ, under the New Covenant in his blood, free, totally free, from the condemning letter of the Law. Paul, then, was accommodating their weakness, he was not putting himself again under the OT Law because all that he had taught about freedom from it in Christ was false.

In any case, you did not deal with the passages and observations I made from them - gnat-like though you think to be - but simply have responded almost as though nothing I wrote was written. This has been your MO all along which, in my view, serves to erode your remarks rather than strengthen them.

Yes, Paul walked orderly, and kept the law without being disorderly. ( fulfilling the righteousness of the law, and bearing one another's burdens to fulfil the law of Christ.)

No longer teaching circumcision ( as it was previously in the law) as now circumcision is in the heart in the Spirit, the circumcision of Christ without hands.

Paul had to do as asked, to keep the peace, as he did not observe all customs of the Jews, but was prepared to assist them in a controversial matter. We notice the Jewish believers reciprocated, by not putting any burden on the Gentiles ( of circumcision)

Matthew 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
24 Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.

No longer teaching circumcision ( as it was previously in the law) as now circumcision is in the heart in the Spirit, the circumcision of Christ without hands.
Huge assumption with no direct biblical evidence. Yes he taught against circ to the gentiles; but do you have evidence that was what he taught to the Jewish believers?

BTW, Acts 21 is fairly clear that the 2 groups did not have the same teaching

Yes he taught against circ to the gentiles; but do you have evidence that was what he taught to the Jewish believers?

If Paul truly said the following, perhaps this is one of the reasons for why he was stoned and left for dead, and ultimately decapitated.

Galatians 5:11-12 NIV - "Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!"

Who was persecuting Paul? Jews or Gentiles? Right . . . Jews.

Who are the agitators? Right . . . Jews.

If Paul truly said the following, perhaps this is one of the reasons for why he was stoned and left for dead, and ultimately decapitated.

Galatians 5:11-12 NIV - "Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!"

Who was persecuting Paul? Jews or Gentiles? Right . . . Jews.

Who are the agitators? Right . . . Jews.
It was Rome that killed Paul for teaching that Caesar was NOT a god.

Huge assumption with no direct biblical evidence. Yes he taught against circ to the gentiles; but do you have evidence that was what he taught to the Jewish believers?

But it is clear that Romans was written to both Jews and Gentiles.

I guess you live for dispute.

For Gentiles to beware of that concision ( circumcision of the flesh people) because we ( Gentiles including Apostle Paul the Apostle to the Gentiles Romans 11:13. are the circumcision which worship God in the Spirit ( having no confidence in the flesh, as they who are of flesh circumcision must still have)

Paul shows he could have that confidence in the flesh, as he had previously been a perfect example of a Jew in the flesh and zealous of the same law ( confidence in the flesh)

Then Paul shows the path for the Jew, is to lose all of that, to lose all things for the knowledge of Christ ( to now worship in the Spirit)

No longer the law of self righteousness ( circumcision in the flesh to have glory of men, and stated they who are circumcised that way neither keep the law, so are hypocrites. As they are debtor to do the whole law but break it) and we know the faith of Christ, which is His resurrection. ( this is the circumcision made without hands)

It is also when there is no longer Jew nor Gentile, there is only the new creature or nothing at all, and then this is the circumcision of the heart, to put on Christ which is bowels of mercies and charity, the bond of perfectness.

Philippians 3: 2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

Galatians 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

Galatians 6:13 For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh.

Colossians 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Colossians 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.
12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

Back