Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Are plants "alive"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I don't see how organs tie to souls. The relevant distinction here is consciousness.

johnmuise said:
Snidey said:
I don't see how organs tie to souls. The relevant distinction here is consciousness.

Do plants have a conscious? can they think? do they have memories? etc.

...? I'm not sure what you're saying

johnmuise said:
Snidey said:

Do plants have a conscious? can they think? do they have memories? etc.
Can you prove that worms do?

For a Christian it's no problem. The "Death" God spoke of in Genesis was a spiritual, not a physical death. We know this, because He says that Adam will die the day he eats from the tree, but Adam lives on physically for many years after.

BTW, the Bible says that plants are alive. Jesus refers to them as being alive in various contexts, such as His saying that a seed must die in order to bring forth life.

The Barbarian said:
For a Christian it's no problem. The "Death" God spoke of in Genesis was a spiritual, not a physical death. We know this, because He says that Adam will die the day he eats from the tree, but Adam lives on physically for many years after.

BTW, the Bible says that plants are alive. Jesus refers to them as being alive in various contexts, such as His saying that a seed must die in order to bring forth life.

Yes...then he dies :wink:

Ummm make sure you know what "seed" he is talking about.

He was using a metaphor, describing a living thing (a seed) and saying it must die in order for new life to come. If you are a Christian, you should know that there is a non-literal meaning there as well, a more important one.

But your argument is over. God does indeed say that plants are living things.

need to post up some verses.

Ok, for those who don't read the Bible much...

John 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

johnmuise said:
proponent said:
Leaves can be though of as organs. They take in nutrients (Sunlight) for conversion to usable energy. Bark is very similar to skin, and even more similar to scales, as it is a protective outer layer. I still don't see a huge distinction that makes plants 'not alive'.
Edit: Sorry if I implied that bark is an organ.

Dog,Human,worm all have a heart, my backyard Oak tree does not.
Since when has 'has a heart' been a scientific qualifier for life? I mean, sure, if you define life the way YOU want to it's easy to exclude plants, but language does not work that way.

Life is in DNA. When the Bible was written, there was no understanding of DNA, so maybe "blood" was just a metaphor. It probably shouldn't be taken literally.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back