Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Are you confident that, what you believe will guarantee your eternal destination ?

Re: Are you confident that, what you believe will guarantee your eternal destination

Some people are fully confident in what they believe, other's hope, still other's have their doubts. I'd like to here your varying feelings on this subject ???

Well, if we thought what we believed would save us, that would be gnosticism now, wouldn't it? :yes

Rather we walk by faith with the hope of glory, Christ in us.

Love, faith, and assurance? Not so. But he who perseveres to the end, he will be saved. :)

Re: Are you confident that, what you believe will guarantee your eternal destination

Are not terrorists also completely convinced of their own beliefs?

Then hadn't you better do some serious investigations?

Start with a careful examination of the evidence for the resurrection of Christ.

That has convinced many an unbeliever, and misbelievers.

Then go for the archaeological support for the biblical accounts. The Bible Triumphant by Urquhart is a good one to start with.

And if you can get your hands on Blunt's Undesigned Coincidences of Holy Scripture, [think it's on Amazon] that will give you a certainty that cannot be expressed in words.

All the best.

Oh, please don't get me wrong! I'm not saying that I don't believe; I just cannot say that I know that I am correct, for that would be false. If it helps you to understand me, I'll just say that I always refrain from using the word "know" in formal contexts- the verb represents a degree of certainty in beliefs that I consider to be impossible with respect to all things.

Are not terrorists also completely convinced of their own beliefs?
Oh I like this one. Scripture says men will persecute men of God believing they are serving God. This is where I would say there is a such thing as an enslaved will. " if your light is darkness, how deep is that darkness?"

Some people are fully confident in what they believe, other's hope, still other's have their doubts. I'd like to here your varying feelings on this subject ???

I am confident that if the Holy Spirit is residing in my soul/temple/heart at the time of my death, I will definitely be saved. :)

His presence in my soul/temple/heart at the time of my death is my guarantee of salvation.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 "Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, 22 who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee."

I take special care to not defile my temple with sin leading to death so that the Holy Spirit will continue to remain in me. (Sin leading to death is also defined as mortal sin in the RSV.)

1John.5:16 "If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. [17] All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal." RSV

Acts 5:32 "And we are His witnesses to these things, and so also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him."

The Holy Spirit continually resides in the souls of people who obey God's commands.

If people defile their souls with mortal sin, the Holy Spirit no longer abides in their defiled temples/souls and so they no longer have their guarantee of salvation. His presence within their souls is their only guarantee of salvation.

1 Corinthians 3:16-18 "Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 18 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise."

Destroy means condemnation.

2 Timothy 2:16-19 "But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. 17 And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, 18 who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,†and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity."

If God's Holy Spirit is not residing within my soul at the time of my death, God will not recognize me as one of His own. Matthew 7:21-24

Luke 13:23-27 "Then one said to Him, “Lord, are there few who are saved?†And He said to them, 24 “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. 25 When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open for us,’ and He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know you, where you are from,’ 26 then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.’ 27 But He will say, ‘I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.’"

Why doesn't He now recognize/know the persons who were once saved through faith and baptism but who later sinned mortal sins and did not repent before death?

Ezekiel 33:13 "When I say to the righteous that he shall surely live, but he trusts in his own righteousness and commits iniquity, none of his righteous works shall be remembered; but because of the iniquity that he has committed, he shall die."

Die means to be condemned.

I am confident that if the Holy Spirit is residing in my soul/temple/heart at the time of my death, I will definitely be saved. :)

His presence in my soul/temple/heart at the time of my death is my guarantee of salvation.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 "Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, 22 who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee."

I take special care to not defile my temple with sin leading to death so that the Holy Spirit will continue to remain in me. (Sin leading to death is also defined as mortal sin in the RSV.)

1John.5:16 "If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. [17] All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal." RSV

Acts 5:32 "And we are His witnesses to these things, and so also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him."

The Holy Spirit continually resides in the souls of people who obey God's commands.

If people defile their souls with mortal sin, the Holy Spirit no longer abides in their defiled temples/souls and so they no longer have their guarantee of salvation. His presence within their souls is their only guarantee of salvation.

1 Corinthians 3:16-18 "Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 18 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise."

Destroy means condemnation.

2 Timothy 2:16-19 "But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. 17 And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, 18 who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,†and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity."

If God's Holy Spirit is not residing within my soul at the time of my death, God will not recognize me as one of His own. Matthew 7:21-24

Luke 13:23-27 "Then one said to Him, “Lord, are there few who are saved?†And He said to them, 24 “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. 25 When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open for us,’ and He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know you, where you are from,’ 26 then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.’ 27 But He will say, ‘I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.’"

Why doesn't He now recognize/know the persons who were once saved through faith and baptism but who later sinned mortal sins and did not repent before death?

Ezekiel 33:13 "When I say to the righteous that he shall surely live, but he trusts in his own righteousness and commits iniquity, none of his righteous works shall be remembered; but because of the iniquity that he has committed, he shall die."

Die means to be condemned.

My friend, once you are "born again Spiritually" you "cannot" become unsaved...The Scriptures say, in 1 john 5:13, "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

God wants EVERY believer to have "utmost" assurance of their "salvation."

My friend, once you are "born again Spiritually" you "cannot" become unsaved...The Scriptures say, in 1 john 5:13, "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

Since we're kept by the Power of God, what's to doubt?

Standing on the Promises of God. :thumbsup

This is not good for we in our human condition to be assured of anything...but that life is IN Christ. We walk in the fear of God AND the comfort of the Holy Spirit. To walk in one without the other is foolishness.

I am confident of the things He has revealed to me about Himself, and because man has not done this, then man can't take it away.
I also am confident in the fact that He is the Saviour of all men, especially to those that believe.

I am also confident that I did not choose Him, but He me, and that Only, by His Grace and Faith do I live.

Blessings :yes
Good answer. :thumbsup

It is by and through His Faith that we are saved. It may be our faith that counts as righteousness, but it's His faith that sustains us.

I am confident because He is faithful. :nod

Yup - good to go.

"Faith", after all is a "SUBSTANCE", and an "EVIDENCE".

God let me know in terms I could understand just before they cut my chest open 20 years ago, and stopped my heart that I was "O.K." - nothing to be concerned about - and the family was O.K. too. I'm STILL O.K.

AbsolutlyPositivelyNoDoubtAboutIt!!!!!!!

I am confident of the things He has revealed to me about Himself, and because man has not done this, then man can't take it away.
I also am confident in the fact that He is the Saviour of all men, especially to those that believe.

I am also confident that I did not choose Him, but He me, and that Only, by His Grace and Faith do I live.

Blessings :yes

Amen. And God has chosen those who choose His Son.

When we believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, we become members of His body, having been persuaded by the power of the Gospel unto salvation. So God is actually choosing the Son and we are One in Him, being justified by faith.

Our faith in Him to Christ's faith in God....from faith to faith. Therein is the righteousness of God revealed.
Romans 1:16-17 said:
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

It wouldn't be righteousness if God just chose some to be saved. It would not be righteous for the Son of God to command us to "repent and believe" if we weren't able to do so.
Mark 1:14-16 said:
Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Abraham had to make the choice of whether to obey God and offer his son or to disobey God, thereby showing he loved his son more than God. The rich young ruler made the wrong choice. We must reach out and take the gift that has been offered us, and look unto Jesus and LIVE.

Read the REST of 1 John... It states that we know we have the Spirit of God AS WE OBEY THE COMMANDMENTS.

Not because you are "really, really sure" of anything... We are easily deluded. By our actions, we can know Who leads us and abides in us. Not just because of something done 20 years ago.

Regards

The "two" commandments by which we are told to abide with are, "To love the Lord thy God and to love our neighbor." Once one is "born again Spiritually" he has the Holy Spirit with him, to bring forth "good works/fruits" and is given the "righteousness" of Christ, due to the fact that the Spirit places him in the "body of Christ" and now, is considered a "child of God," and hence will have "eternal life..." Churches may tell you, that "you must obey the law, do good works, be water baptized, etc,. in order to gain eternal life, this is a "fallacy." You must first, hear the message of salvation through the Bible, be convicted of your sins by the work of the Holy Spirit, who uses that very word (Bible) to lead you to Christ, and then you must place your faith in Christ as your Lord and Savior...After that the Spirit works within you to become "conformed" to the image of Christ... There are churches and persons that will tell you "otherwise" but they are being "deceitful" and will lead you into "eternal punishment" and separation from God...

The "two" commandments by which we are told to abide with are, "To love the Lord thy God and to love our neighbor." Once one is "born again Spiritually" he has the Holy Spirit with him, to bring forth "good works/fruits" and is given the "righteousness" of Christ, due to the fact that the Spirit places him in the "body of Christ" and now, is considered a "child of God," and hence will have "eternal life..." Churches may tell you, that "you must obey the law, do good works, be water baptized, etc,. in order to gain eternal life, this is a "fallacy." You must first, hear the message of salvation through the Bible, be convicted of your sins by the work of the Holy Spirit, who uses that very word (Bible) to lead you to Christ, and then you must place your faith in Christ as your Lord and Savior...After that the Spirit works within you to become "conformed" to the image of Christ... There are churches and persons that will tell you "otherwise" but they are being "deceitful" and will lead you into "eternal punishment" and separation from God...

Amen, brother. There is a big difference between religion and faith. Religion is man trying to make himself good enough for God, and faith is allowing God to make us like Him. By faith, we enter into His Rest.

Hebrews 4:10 - "For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his."

The human mind is the most easily deluded organ in the world. The more "sure" you are the more deluded you probably are. Faith springs from doubt a lot better than it does from our own certainty. In fact, our own certainty does more to kill true faith than any other thing save the wickedness of the human heart.

I'm confident the meek and humble will inhherit the earth. They don't go around proclaiming they are the meek and humble. God will say and others may say it about them, but they don't say it about their selves. I'm not even sure they even think it. If I say I am humble am I proud? If I say I am proud, am I humble? Does an honest person say I never lie? Does a liar say I am honest?

I'm confident the meek and humble will inhherit the earth. They don't go around proclaiming they are the meek and humble. God will say and others may say it about them, but they don't say it about their selves. I'm not even sure they even think it. If I say I am humble am I proud? If I say I am proud, am I humble? Does an honest person say I never lie? Does a liar say I am honest?

We will be judged at least in part by our reputation in the world. What do people say of us?

The human mind is the most easily deluded organ in the world. The more "sure" you are the more deluded you probably are. Faith springs from doubt a lot better than it does from our own certainty. In fact, our own certainty does more to kill true faith than any other thing save the wickedness of the human heart.

I don't agree with you!!!

Back