Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Basic christian doctrines

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Agape

What basic doctrines should all Christians agree on as essential?
Please support your answer.

If you believe the main one the rest should fall into place. According to the apostle eternal life comes from believing that Jesus is the Christ.

1 Timothy 1:3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer 4 or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work—which is by faith.

8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine

Reference Romans 7:7

11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

Notice that all doctrines must conform to the Gospel of Christ.

Conform:
1. to act in accordance or harmony; comply (usually followed by to ): to conform to rules.
2. to act in accord with the prevailing standards, attitudes, practices, etc., of society or a group: One has to conform in order to succeed in this company.
3. to be or become similar in form, nature, or character.
4. to be in harmony or accord.

Gospel:
1 Corinthians 15:Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

If you believe the main one the rest should fall into place. According to the apostle eternal life comes from believing that Jesus is the Christ.
There is no apostle I can think of that says that, or at least only that.

As for basic Christian doctrine all Christians should believe:

1. The deity of Jesus.
2. The Incarnation.
3. The literal physical death and resurrection of Jesus.
4. The distinctness of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Just to name a few and get the ball rolling.

The resurrection of the dead...

Perhaps the most significant attack upon the gospel today is the denial of the future and literal resurrection of the dead, which is directly connected to His coming... which is also under attack..

Absolutely essential to the gospel of God concerning His Son.

It seems many believe that we just go to heaven when we die or something like that.. Although the scriptures teach that that the whole creations groans.. Even we who have the first fruits of the Spirit.. And that we are waiting for the manifestation of the sons of God... To wit...

The redemption of our bodies..

Hope that is seen is no hope at all..

Paul showed the simplicity of faith, even stating it is the ONLY THING that counts:

Galatians 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Men will beat Jesus to death and whip/slice and dice Him into pieces to this day.

s

Paul showed the simplicity of faith, even stating it is the ONLY THING that counts:

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Men will beat Jesus to death and whip/slice and dice Him into pieces to this day.

s
Clearly that is not all that Paul states and therefore isn't saying what you are making him to be saying.

Paul said what he said.

Make it as complex as you want from there.

s
Of course Paul said what he said but the point is, he said a lot more as well. It is far more complex than you are making it out to be.

Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. (ESV)

1Co 15:12 Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?
1Co 15:13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.
1Co 15:14 And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain.
1Co 15:15 We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because we testified about God that he raised Christ, whom he did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised.
1Co 15:16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised.
1Co 15:17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. (ESV)

Gal 1:6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel—
Gal 1:7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.
Gal 1:8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. (ESV)

That is, of course, just a small sampling of what Paul said that has direct bearing on this topic. That faith that works through love must be based on correct doctrine, on the correct gospel.

Of course Paul said what he said but the point is, he said a lot more as well. It is far more complex than you are making it out to be.

Do you believe there will be a mandatory correct dissertation required to be presented on the Trinity before one might be allowed through the Pearly Gate?

I'm thinkin' not.

Paul was clear that if we understood all mysteries, prophesied, had all knowledge, had faith, gave to the poor, and even gave our body to be burned and did not have love, it in essence probably wouldn't mean much.

I might think that the only thought we will leave here with is this: I should have loved MORE.

That is, of course, just a small sampling of what Paul said that has direct bearing on this topic. That faith that works through love must be based on correct doctrine, on the correct gospel.
If you think 'correct doctrine' somehow equates to love or being unable to do so apart from same I would beg to disagree. Using the 'correct and perfect knowledge' position only the smartest guys in the room will be moving on and that is again NOT going to be the measure.

Many a believer in faith of God in Christ and simply living in His Love will find their way home and not have gotten dragged into a single discourse about 'the Trinity' or any other number of intense spiritual matters such as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

High intellect is not necessarily the equal of faith in love, to which I will personally attest...;)

Nor will that be the measure.

s

IMO the absolute and clear foundation of the gospel of God's Son is miraculously summarized and written in 1 Cor 15.. which has already been shared here in this thread...

That Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and that He was buried.. and that He rose again on the third day according to the scriptures..

That's the gospel.. its foundation being that chief cornerstone.. our Lord Jesus Christ.. the eternal Word of God which is witnessed by the OT prophets and the Apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ.

according to the scriptures...

It's important for the Christian to understand the foundation for the gospel of God concerning His Son..

And that is the LAW and the OT Prophets... all laid down before Christ..

Along with the Apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ.. all eyewitnesses of His life, death, burial, and resurrection...

There's limitless testimony to the eternal glory of God's Son written in the OT just as there is limitless testimony written to His eternal glory in the NT..

And just an interesting reminder..

There are twelve Apostles to the circumcision...

There is one Apostle to the Gentiles...

(NASB) John 17:1 Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, "Father, …. :3. "This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” [emphasis added]

Do you believe there will be a mandatory correct dissertation required to be presented on the Trinity before one might be allowed through the Pearly Gate?

I'm thinkin' not.
Of course not, and I am not suggesting such.

smaller said:
Paul was clear that if we understood all mysteries, prophesied, had all knowledge, had faith, gave to the poor, and even gave our body to be burned and did not have love, it in essence probably wouldn't mean much.
And yet this simply begs the question. Paul was writing to Christians, that is, those who already adhered to a certain set of beliefs. The NT is replete with explicit and implicit statements that followers of Christ are those who believe certain things to be true as well as those who live a life of loving others. You simply cannot
have one without the other.

You seem to be saying that it essentially doesn't matter what one believes, as long as one lives a live of love towards others. But this would be patently false and no apostle nor Jesus make such a statement. All make it clear that what one believes, particularly about Christ, is central to salvation and as those who then are saved and profess Christ as Lord, they ought to live a life of love.

smaller said:
If you think 'correct doctrine' somehow equates to love or being unable to do so apart from same I would beg to disagree. Using the 'correct and perfect knowledge' position only the smartest guys in the room will be moving on and that is again NOT going to be the measure.
That is certainly not what I am saying. I think my above statements make it clearer.

smaller said:
Many a believer in faith of God in Christ and simply living in His Love will find their way home and not have gotten dragged into a single discourse about 'the Trinity' or any other number of intense spiritual matters such as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
But you are once again begging the question. The Scriptures I posted, and I could have posted many more, clearly show that there are to be certain beliefs which define Christians over against everyone else, even those who claim to be Christian but are not.

smaller said:
High intellect is not necessarily the equal of faith in love, to which I will personally attest...;)

Nor will that be the measure.
Of course it isn't. I would never say that that is the case. All I am saying is that it is far more complex than you appear to be making it.

As for basic Christian doctrine all Christians should believe:

1. The deity of Jesus.
2. The Incarnation.
3. The literal physical death and resurrection of Jesus.
4. The distinctness of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Just to name a few and get the ball rolling.

#2 is redundant of #1. And, I just don't see what's so critical about the Trinity that it makes such a short list, especially when there's nothing about repentance or righteousness in your short list.

#2 is redundant of #1.
Actually, it isn't. JW's deny this and Mormons have a very different idea about it. And below John is likely addressing Gnositicism:

1Jn 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
1Jn 4:2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,
1Jn 4:3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already. (ESV)

2Jn 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.
2Jn 1:8 Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward.
2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
2Jn 1:10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting,
2Jn 1:11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works. (ESV)

Also worth noting here are John's strong statements regarding correct belief.

Hammer said:
And, I just don't see what's so critical about the Trinity that it makes such a short list, especially when there's nothing about repentance or righteousness in your short list.
To point out what I wrote: "Just to name a few and get the ball rolling."

Of course not, and I am not suggesting such.

Of course not. I accept the Nicene Creed for example because it is a well considered and thought out structure set from 'others' of considerate and likewise faith that I acknowledge is truthful to the scriptures, and was 'developed' largely to counter heresies of various forms.

If there is a use for doctrines, it might be at least partially found in that. But to say that 'mental or intellectual ascent' to same means anything is quite another matter. If a person is led and believe that Jesus is their Savior and never picked up any of it I don't think they'd do themselves a disservice in simple faith.

As to what happened from there (dividing over 4 words of the filioque or claiming full and complete ownership of the scriptures and all interpretations thereof,) was a disservice of division that 'intellect' started and which has been running rampant ever since, where these various doctrines are used to measure and determine ones eternal destiny, to submit to some sects authority, and to force condemnation into the heart.

That is an evil working, period. Such encounters are better left avoided.

And yet this simply begs the question. Paul was writing to Christians, that is, those who already adhered to a certain set of beliefs.
The 'acceptance' of God is not as complex as is put on. God hears the prayers of those who fear Him and do good according to their conscience. And it is in fact Him working in them, doing so.

Acts 10:
34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

The NT is replete with explicit and implicit statements that followers of Christ are those who believe certain things to be true as well as those who live a life of loving others. You simply cannot
have one without the other.
You have to admit that there is a very certain danger involved in sitting down in the eternal judgment to damnation seat to those as above whom God has in fact ACCEPTED, and quite apart from knowing anything about Jesus.

Some determinists will understand that God knows what He is doing and will lead accordingly:

John 6:45
It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Where is 'our role' in that? As sharers in Divine matters. It is not as complex as 'men' make it. The Spirit interrupted Peter as he rambled on to the household of Cornelius, a NON Jew.

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell

There is a DIVINE PRIORITY at work in all things.

You seem to be saying that it essentially doesn't matter what one believes,
I would never say such, understanding that 'whom' God chooses to believe and hear are pretty much His Entire Business.

Paul rejoiced no matter HOW Jesus was proclaimed. I believe he had a similar confidence in God in Christ and NOT in men.

as long as one lives a live of love towards others.
Who puts those matters in the hearts of men to begin with? People who have never heard the Gospel and follow the good dictates of their conscience and fear even a God they do not know as we do can in fact BE accepted by God as Cornelius shows us. The Gospel is not 'against' such, but for them. And they WILL be honored again by THE HOLY SPIRIT upon disclosures.

Paul often appealed to matters of 'conscience' when preaching. A 'known' God being better than an unknown for example on Mars Hill. Many are called in that form of appeal.

But this would be patently false and no apostle nor Jesus make such a statement. All make it clear that what one believes, particularly about Christ, is central to salvation and as those who then are saved and profess Christ as Lord, they ought to live a life of love.
There is not as much 'distinction' as you suppose between God who is love and those who do same. IF Jesus is presented as being 'against' such I might say the promoters themselves have the wrong Jesus in hand and are instead making proselytes of men and their doctrines.

That is certainly not what I am saying. I think my above statements make it clearer.
Believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior and be saved is an exceptional simple message. At what point does a 'man' let go and expect to see the Holy Spirit working? Examples of living in His love can be just as powerful without a WORD of 'doctrine' spoken. His Love is NOT a doctrine!

But you are once again begging the question. The Scriptures I posted, and I could have posted many more, clearly show that there are to be certain beliefs which define Christians over against everyone else, even those who claim to be Christian but are not.
Intention is everything. We in fact only know brothers and sisters in Christ by their FRUIT. Doctrinal measures are quite pointless.

I'm sure you've heard this one:

"Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?" He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!" Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."

I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over."

Of course it isn't. I would never say that that is the case. All I am saying is that it is far more complex than you appear to be making it.
Unfortunately the above example is not as funny as some think. What makes it funny is that it's TRUE and IRONIC of many.

s

s

In Ephesians 4:4-6, Paul said that Christians are united by "ONE Lord", "ONE faith", "ONE baptism", and "ONE God and Father of all".

What is the "one faith" Paul is referring to?

In Ephesians 4:4-6, Paul said that Christians are united by "ONE Lord", "ONE faith", "ONE baptism", and "ONE God and Father of all".

What is the "one faith" Paul is referring to?

The only measure of 'faith' that I can find is faith that works through love.

1 John 4:
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

No 'doctrine' can 'instill' or 'control' God as much as some like to claim that to be so.

God Himself LIVES in our heart as believers AS LOVE and is expressed in faith working through LOVE.

Simple faith will find HIM THEREIN, loving.

s

The only measure of 'faith' that I can find is faith that works through love.

1 John 4:
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

No 'doctrine' can 'instill' or 'control' God as much as some like to claim that to be so.

God Himself LIVES in our heart as believers AS LOVE and is expressed in faith working through LOVE.

Simple faith will find HIM THEREIN, loving.

s

but faith in what?
What (not how) should I believe?

Back