Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Basic christian doctrines

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Kaliani said:
Are you saying that if Christians decided to put aside their disputes so that peace prevails, God would sabotage their efforts or otherwise refuse to help them?
Exactly none of us bear our own respective cross without Divine Intentions and Divine Reasons.

s
An idea completely unsupported by Scripture.

If discord among Christians is of God, then we should suspect satanic activity where Christians seem to be getting along perfectly?

Where might that be?! ...;)

God honors and blesses evil/sin in the heart of NONE.

That working is meant for the CROSS. It is also the source of all divisions and disputes in the Body.

s

An idea completely unsupported by Scripture.

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Luke 9:23
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Most will find personal offense in the cross, falsely believing they have no evil present to be hung thereon and instead will seek to both cover and bless same in their doctrines.

s

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Luke 9:23
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Most will find personal offense in the cross, falsely believing they have no evil present to be hung thereon and instead will seek to both cover and bless same in their doctrines.

s
The idea that "if Christians decided to put aside their disputes so that peace prevails, God would sabotage their efforts or otherwise refuse to help them," is what I was referencing there.

Filter all doctrines through the below filter and ya can't go wrong... it's really that simple folks, but it does take some work.

Baptism and the Lords Supper are prime example of doctrines that fit like a glove. Speaking in tongues as proof of salvatioin, well, not so much so and the list could go on.

1 Timothy 1:3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer 4 or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work—which is by faith.

8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine

Reference Romans 7:7

11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

Notice that all doctrines must conform to the Gospel of Christ.

Conform:
1. to act in accordance or harmony; comply (usually followed by to ): to conform to rules.
2. to act in accord with the prevailing standards, attitudes, practices, etc., of society or a group: One has to conform in order to succeed in this company.
3. to be or become similar in form, nature, or character.
4. to be in harmony or accord.

Gospel:
1 Corinthians 15:Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

The idea that "if Christians decided to put aside their disputes so that peace prevails, God would sabotage their efforts or otherwise refuse to help them," is what I was referencing there.

Meaning help or sabotage from God?

As noted earlier herein, God Purposefully keeps the evil in the hearts of men divided and divided they will remain no matter what flag/standard they seek to raise or fly.

This 'working' of God has been in the earth continually, from day 1, and will continue to the end of the current age.

The Two Edged Firey Sword from His Mouth that caused John the Apostle to fall as if dead on the Isle of Patmos [ = "my killing" ] works exactly that way still today and is witnessed throughout the text with engagements of the Prophets and the Apostles in numerous showings.

The same God who raised up Moses also sought to kill him. Men of God do not fear Him in vain.

It is the same matter that brought Paul to see his own wretchedness in Romans 7.

They are problematic matters to observe, personally. The tendency of the natural man is to flee from these matters.

The fact of Romans 7:21 is not too popular in churches or in creeds, nor can it be. But on that ground is the offense of the Cross is found.

Colossians 1:24
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

s

Nonetheless, it seemed to me that this was smaller's position. I was seeking his clarification.
My comment regarding what you said was aimed at his reply to you. You were asking for clarification. What I was addressing was really the first word in his reply, "Exactly."

So he agreed that your question is in fact what he is saying, but I do not believe his statement is to be found in Scripture.

Filter all doctrines through the below filter and ya can't go wrong... it's really that simple folks, but it does take some work.

Baptism and the Lords Supper are prime example of doctrines that fit like a glove. Speaking in tongues as proof of salvatioin, well, not so much so and the list could go on.
Agreed. Although there are even disputes regarding the specifics of baptism and the Lord's Supper, the point is that these are to be observed.

Let's get this back on topic and not discuss specifics.

Meaning help or sabotage from God?

As noted earlier herein, God Purposefully keeps the evil in the hearts of men divided and divided they will remain no matter what flag/standard they seek to raise or fly.

This 'working' of God has been in the earth continually, from day 1, and will continue to the end of the current age.

The Two Edged Firey Sword from His Mouth that caused John the Apostle to fall as if dead on the Isle of Patmos [ = "my killing" ] works exactly that way still today and is witnessed throughout the text with engagements of the Prophets and the Apostles in numerous showings.

The same God who raised up Moses also sought to kill him. Men of God do not fear Him in vain.

It is the same matter that brought Paul to see his own wretchedness in Romans 7.

They are problematic matters to observe, personally. The tendency of the natural man is to flee from these matters.

The fact of Romans 7:21 is not too popular in churches or in creeds, nor can it be. But on that ground is the offense of the Cross is found.

Colossians 1:24
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

s
This is not biblical but I am not going to discuss it further as it is off topic.

In the end, to answer the OP, there are many basic Christian doctrines that all who claim to be Christian must adhere to. I both am and am not surprised that it is proving difficult to even get a list going.

This is not biblical but I am not going to discuss it further as it is off topic.
In the end, to answer the OP, there are many basic Christian doctrines that all who claim to be Christian must adhere to. I both am and am not surprised that it is proving difficult to even get a list going.

for purposes of your 'short list' intentions to the which were prior stated and topical:

1 Corinthians 1:18
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

another:

Acts 10:34
Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons

another:

Galatians 6:7
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Christian CLASSICS.

s

What basic doctrines should all Christians agree on as essential?
Please support your answer.

Oh my, Everything Jesus tells us, and everything the Apostles tell us. i know that is very broad, but i truly believe it is the basic doctrine that all Christians should agree is essential.

If i were to sum it up as best i could i would say to

LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

if you want to read many different false doctrines that people claim to be basic doctrines please go to the website below.

^i^

Hi Dave! :wave

If i were to sum it up as best i could i would say to

LOVE ONE ANOTHER.
Amen! As Jesus loved us. By this all will know that we are His disciples. (John 13:34-35)
That's a command though, not a doctrine, but thanks for reminding in us that we are to love one another as our Lord loved us. ;)

Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.
2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew,

Above is Gods first mention of Doctrine.

The Red Letter Bible isolating only The Words of God and His Christ were an attempt to focus on only His Words.

When God uttered the first 2 commands to man, be fruitful and multiply, and also the first 'law' to not eat, the difficulties of doctrine were set in place.

Men have been busy ever since to distill Gods Words, His Speech into their own subjective lists. The Old Testament shows that in the final analysis only God can instill wisdom and understandings and teach doctrine.

Isaiah 28:9
Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

One of the Hebrew 'expressions' of God is 'The Breasted One who utters.' Even on animals who provide milk the final delivery system is 'an udder.'

Spiritual children are raised at His Utters. Every Word of Him provides their spiritual substance. When His children are 'weaned' in this matter, they move on in similar fashion to MEAT. Again, a spiritual matter, not of substance, but of understandings. And again, these matters come from God Alone who can and does provide.

It is often quite pitiful to see God reduced to these various 'lists.' Men tend to have little respect for the entirety of His Counsels and like to distill to their own preferred lists.

The Doctrine of Christ for example was delivered in parable fashion.
The Law itself is a parable. An allegory. A continuing working allegory, in real time no less. But to find much allegory or parable understandings will always be absent in doctrinal lists for the most part, men again preferring their own forms of external rigidity.

The Law of the parable actually 'lives' and also 'dies' in Man. It is an 'operational principle' of our 'system.' The system we walk in, our body.

Doctrine that. It will remain problematic for 'men' to make their own lists. There is only One Teacher, and He is both maker and teacher.

Where one observes any particular doctrines of sects, we see doctrinal growth with sectarian names attached, the men who make same commanding to submit to them. It was not so with the Apostles. They taught each believer to submit only to God Himself, and to enter into our own relationship, in our own temple.

Men again will reject such notions, preferring their right of entry only and commanding others submission. Such will claim that God only lives in you according to their lists, and if not, then REJECTION. And of course such will also point to matters of discourse trying to prove they or their various sects have such right and authority.

The Word of God rains down on both the good and the bad. The tare and the wheat grow from the same ground, not in the other guy or the other sect will one locate the tare. The tare we all struggle with in our same ground for both rain and light. This matter is shown here for example:

2 Kings 19:30
And the remnant that is escaped of the house of Judah shall yet again take root downward, and bear fruit upward.

and here:

Psalm 113:7
He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth the needy out of the dunghill

and here:

Luke 13:
7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

Turn your face toward God and ALL HIS WORDS for LIGHT in your GROUND, for His Word Doctrine, that the WHEAT spring up, and the TARE does not overtake you and you be cut down and off. If a little commanding dictating overlord is growing next to you, in your ground, may God make that apparent to you.

The Harvester WILL harvest and He Will have HIS Intentions upon you, one way or another.

And everyone who reads any of this and has no understanding in them, will only scratch their heads in wonder, not understanding. Never understanding.

God was not 'made' for us, but we for Him. The world and all the things therein is His Crop. No man makes himself one way or the other. You are what you are. All the doctrine in the world will not and can not change it.

1 Peter 1:23
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

It is in fact God who lives in you, to Will and to do of His Good Pleasure.

s

Last edited by a moderator:
What basic doctrines should all Christians agree on as essential?
Please support your answer.

We should seek to honour God in all things. We should always strive for the unity of the body. We should seek God in His holiness. We should remain humble in all things. We should love as Jesus loved.

Agreed. Although there are even disputes regarding the specifics of baptism and the Lord's Supper, the point is that these are to be observed.

Let's get this back on topic and not discuss specifics.

As for the disagreements, Paul tells us how to flush them out too..

1 timothy 4 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

Now then, which churches forbid people to marry and orders abstinence from certain foods? Yeah yeah, I know the ones Paul is referring to are Jews... But we see many similarities.

Also, Paul begins with 1 Timothy 1:7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.

What we see with these types of teachers is that they seek their own glory, and not God's glory through their doctrines.

sin, righteousness. judgment...

Another way to consider biblical doctrine is in light of what the Holy Spirit was sent into the world to do..

Convict of sin...

Convict of righteousness...

Convict of judgment...

The Holy Spirit testifies of Christ.. His life, death, and burial, for our sin and even the sin of the world.. and His resurrection which is unto justification of life by faith in Him... by that perfect man, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hi Wayseer! :wave
As far as I am concerned, I looked up "basic christian doctrines" and got different answers, and noticed that it was not always that elementary! But what I am looking for is what is basic and should be agreed upon by all believers, new Christians and mature ones. What should unite us, not what divides us.

As I suggested - all that was the reason why the Council of Nicaea was formed - to gain some form of common assent - and then it took a number of other councils to clarify the position. The end result if what we now know as the Nicene Creed - which essential defines a Christian.

Wayseer has already made is clear that he places Catholic Creeds above the Bible, because he thinks the Bible is the fruit of man's own errant mind. But, Catholic Creeds are inspired of God.

At the time of Nicaea there was nothing known as a Catholic (capital C) creed.

The Nicene Creed is about doctrine. The 'doctrine' has to come from the canon (authority) of scripture which we know as the Bible. So, No - the creed cannot be 'above' the Biblical texts.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back