Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Basic christian doctrines

but faith in what?
What (not how) should I believe?

I testify to what I know, that God in Christ loves me.

Luke 11:

9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you
10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

No one else can ask, seek or knock OR BELIEVE for you.

It is God in Christ who gives and grants.

s

Thanks all for your contribution to this topic ;):wave

Do you think that it is also essential that all Christians agree that:
1) The Bible is inspired by God (2Tim. 3:16)
2) All people have sinned (Rom. 3:23,5:12)
3) Jesus is the only way to God the Father (John 14:6 ; Matt. 11:27 ; Luke 10:22)
4) Those who reject Jesus will go to Hell (Rev. 20:11-15)

There is no apostle I can think of that says that, or at least only that.

As for basic Christian doctrine all Christians should believe:

1. The deity of Jesus.
2. The Incarnation.
3. The literal physical death and resurrection of Jesus.
4. The distinctness of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Just to name a few and get the ball rolling.

Hi Free,

It's John,

30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:​
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name (Joh 20:30-31 KJV)

This is the confession that Peter made upon which Jesus said He would build His church.

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.​
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (Mat 16:15-18 KJV)

Peter's Statement was an acknowledgment of Psalm 2.

2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.​
(Psa 2:2-12 KJV)

His annointed in Greek is, "His Christ." Psalm 2 speaks of God begetting His Son and His Christ and says what His inheritance will be. This is the basis of the Christian faith.

In Ephesians 4:4-6, Paul said that Christians are united by "ONE Lord", "ONE faith", "ONE baptism", and "ONE God and Father of all".

What is the "one faith" Paul is referring to?

The faith preached by Jesus and His apostles.

What basic doctrines should all Christians agree on as essential?
Please support your answer.

This one:

2 John 1:9 (KJV)
9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

Re: The resurrection of the dead...

Perhaps the most significant attack upon the gospel today is the denial of the future and literal resurrection of the dead, which is directly connected to His coming... which is also under attack..

Absolutely essential to the gospel of God concerning His Son.

All Christians believe that those in Christ who have died will be resurrected. So, what are you're disputing? Do you think we have to be resurrected in the same body we died in? Jesus's body didn't see decay, but ours do. Our bodies are nothing but tents. They are not us.

But, whatever details you're up in arms about, I'd love to see you try to make your case that your doctrine regarding some details of resurrection is essential and that the a disagreement over these details is the most significant attack against the Gospel today. Is there a verse that says "believe in a literal and future resurrection or parish"? Are people leaving Christianity because of difference in views of our resurrection?

Second only to simply rejecting the authority of the Bible, Futurism is the most significant attack upon the Gospel today. It leads to unjust wars in the middle east that provokes Muslims to further oppress their Christian communities. It leads to unjust wars which cause Christians to lose credibility with heathens. It puts forth failed after failed predictions which causes the loss of faith in many. It leads to Christians believing that there's a group of people who don't need Christ. It causes Christians to give support to their enemies, including a country that has all but banned Christianity. It diverts Christian efforts from accomplishing good things, as they pursue the above bad things. And, it causes loony tune declarations that preterism is the most significant threat against Christianity today.

This one:

2 John 1:9 (KJV)
9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

Thanks! ;)
Should we interpret "doctrine of Christ" as the "teaching of Christ" or "teaching about Christ"?

All Christians believe that those in Christ who have died will be resurrected. So, what are you're disputing? Do you think we have to be resurrected in the same body we died in? Jesus's body didn't see decay, but ours do. Our bodies are nothing but tents. They are not us.

I have asked you this before and you ignored it.. Specifically with respect to the emboldened part..

What scripture do you base the resurrection of the dead on ?

But, whatever details you're up in arms about, I'd love to see you try to make your case that your doctrine regarding some details of resurrection is essential and that the a disagreement over these details is the most significant attack against the Gospel today. Is there a verse that says "believe in a literal and future resurrection or parish"? Are people leaving Christianity because of difference in views of our resurrection?

I simply made a statement.. Seems to me that you're the one up in arms here.

Second only to simply rejecting the authority of the Bible, Futurism is the most significant attack upon the Gospel today. It leads to unjust wars in the middle east that provokes Muslims to further oppress their Christian communities. It leads to unjust wars which cause Christians to lose credibility with heathens. It puts forth failed after failed predictions which causes the loss of faith in many. It leads to Christians believing that there's a group of people who don't need Christ. It causes Christians to give support to their enemies, including a country that has all but banned Christianity. It diverts Christian efforts from accomplishing good things, as they pursue the above bad things. And, it causes loony tune declarations that preterism is the most significant threat against Christianity today.

Preterism is a very real and serious attack on the gospel today because it says that the resurrection is past already.. Paul says that their words eat like a cancer and that they overthrow the faith of some... That's serious... And if in this life only we have hope, then surely we're the most miserable of all men.

What basic doctrines should all Christians agree on as essential?
Please support your answer.

Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

These basic doctrines are called the foundation by Paul.

Everyone - stop looking. Google the Nicene Creed which was essentially adopted at the First Council of Nicaea in 325 and later refined at the First Council of Constantinople in 381.

You may note it says nothing about Jesus being killed by the Jews.

Everyone - stop looking. Google the Nicene Creed which was essentially adopted at the First Council of Nicaea in 325 and later refined at the First Council of Constantinople in 381.

You may note it says nothing about Jesus being killed by the Jews.

Hi Wayseer! :wave
As far as I am concerned, I looked up "basic christian doctrines" and got different answers, and noticed that it was not always that elementary! But what I am looking for is what is basic and should be agreed upon by all believers, new Christians and mature ones. What should unite us, not what divides us.

I think it is important to lovingly sacrifice my personal opinions on nonessential doctrines for the sake of unity. However, Paul warned us against those who cause divisions "contrary to the doctrine we learned" and said we are to avoid them (Romans 16:17). This means that while we must keep our focus on essential beliefs that unite us, we cannot accept a phony form of unity based on hypocrisy.

How do we evaluate what is essential and nonessential? What are the basic christian doctrines? As you can see, there are already conflicting answers given. Let us pray for the illumination of the Holy Spirit that we may understand what the Word says and not read our own meaning into it.

Now my question with regard to this topic is: Do you think the "ONE faith" Paul spoke about in Ephesians 4:5 is "the faith" referred to in Jude 3? Notice it says that it was "once for all" delivered to the saints.
Thoughts?

As far as I am concerned, I looked up "basic christian doctrines" and got different answers, and noticed that it was not always that elementary! But what I am looking for is what is basic and should be agreed upon by all believers, new Christians and mature ones. What should unite us, not what divides us.

I think it is important to lovingly sacrifice my personal opinions on nonessential doctrines for the sake of unity. However, Paul warned us against those who cause divisions "contrary to the doctrine we learned" and said we are to avoid them (Romans 16:17). This means that while we must keep our focus on essential beliefs that unite us, we cannot accept a phony form of unity based on hypocrisy.

How do we evaluate what is essential and nonessential? What are the basic christian doctrines? As you can see, there are already conflicting answers given. Let us pray for the illumination of the Holy Spirit that we may understand what the Word says and not read our own meaning into it.

Now my question with regard to this topic is: Do you think the "ONE faith" Paul spoke about in Ephesians 4:5 is "the faith" referred to in Jude 3? Notice it says that it was "once for all" delivered to the saints.
Thoughts?

These various disputes within Christianity are Divinely Intentional and can not be thwarted.

I started posting on various christian sites many years ago when the format first started, and tried a similar engagement at the time on 3 very simple propositions, thinking them quite secure in my own mind at the time.

Needless to say there was no consensus. And none will be found.

If one understands that it is Divine Providence that factually keeps believers divided, it is much more interesting.

Just as God confused the language of the people at the Tower of Babel, He does so continue to work to confuse the languages of even believers to this day.

And there are reasons that this is done. Divine Reasons.

God will assuredly not allow the evil in the hearts of men of the churches to coalesce. That will not and even CAN NOT be done with any given set of doctrines.

And every member therein will seek either to exalt their own understandings, or to bang their proverbial heads against THE ROCK til they get the picture.

Those who fall upon the STONE will be DIVIDED. And what they are DIVIDED from will be crushed to DUST. It's as sure a working as there is in Christiandom, shown right before ALL of our eyes.

Yet the phenomena can not be engaged and seen for what it really is

s

What scripture do you base the resurrection of the dead on ?

We both agree that those those who in Christ are resurrected. So, what's the point of your question?

Preterism is a very real and serious attack on the gospel today because it says that the resurrection is past already.. Paul says that their words eat like a cancer and that they overthrow the faith of some... That's serious... And if in this life only we have hope, then surely we're the most miserable of all men.

I presented my case that futurism (especially Dispensationalism) is a cancer. You've presented nothing for your case except an invalid reference to something Paul said, before 70AD. And, while Paul objected to a premature declaration of the resurrection, in the rank of Paul's concerns, it was pretty low on the list, not the "most significant" threat to the Gospel.

Wayseer has already made is clear that he places Catholic Creeds above the Bible, because he thinks the Bible is the fruit of man's own errant mind. But, Catholic Creeds are inspired of God.

We both agree that those those who in Christ are resurrected. So, what's the point of your question?

The point is that the resurrection of the dead is a scriptural truth.. not something we simply agree on..

SO, is there a scriptural basis for your belief in the resurrection of the dead or is it simply something that you believe and has nothing to do with scripture..?

I presented my case that futurism (especially Dispensationalism) is a cancer. You've presented nothing for your case except an invalid reference to something Paul said, before 70AD. And, while Paul objected to a premature declaration of the resurrection, in the rank of Paul's concerns, it was pretty low on the list, not the "most significant" threat to the Gospel.

Well, what say you ?

Is the resurrection of the dead already past ?

Yes, No, ? You're not sure and it's just something you believe without scriptural basis..?

Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

These basic doctrines are called the foundation by Paul.

The first two things Paul identifies as the foundation of Christian doctrine is repentance and faith. Jesus taught repent or perish. Yet, repentance doesn't make the enumerated list of important doctrines of some Christians, showing how out of touch they really are with the Christianity. Many Christians even make their lists without bothering with the word "faith."

"Baptisms and laying on of hands" also doesn't make many short lists. Someone in this forum doesn't think "resurrection of the dead" is important, but that "future" resurrection of the past dead is what's important. And, then there is the doctrine of eternal judgement which is outright rejected more and more, let alone not making many short lists.

One poster's short list is four items long, and three of those items are variations on the doctrine of the Trinity. Repentance didn't make his list, but various details of the Trinity doctrine did.

Butch5 said:
Free said:
Butch5 said:
If you believe the main one the rest should fall into place. According to the apostle eternal life comes from believing that Jesus is the Christ.
There is no apostle I can think of that says that, or at least only that.
It's John,

30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:​
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name (Joh 20:30-31 KJV)
But that is not only what John says, is it? That is my point. It is misleading to take a single verse and say that "eternal life comes from believing that Jesus is the Christ," and that is all there is to it. There is much more that John says and much more the other NT writers say.

I first point you to what I already posted:

1Jn 4:2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,
1Jn 4:3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already. (ESV)

2Jn 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. (ESV)

So clearly there is something that is already to be believed about who Jesus is for one to be a true follower of Christ. Looking at what John says in his gospel:

Joh 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, (ESV)

Joh 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up,
Joh 3:15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.
Joh 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

From Vincent's Word Studies:

"Name (ὄνομα)

See on Mat_28:19. Expressing the sum of the qualities which mark the nature or character of a person. To believe in the name of Jesus Christ the Son of God, is to accept as true the revelation contained in that title. Compare Joh_20:31."

It is significant that in John 3 the context is the death and resurrection of Jesus. This is in agreement with Paul in Rom 10:9,10. As I've stated many times in these forums, who Jesus is is absolutely central to salvation. We simply cannot believe whatever we want about him and think we are saved. Is he the Christ and the Son of God? Yes, but there is more to it than just that. Not to mention believing in his death and physical resurrection.

One poster's short list is four items long, and three of those items are variations on the doctrine of the Trinity. Repentance didn't make his list, but various details of the Trinity doctrine did.
I was nice the first time--post #16, 'To point out what I wrote: "Just to name a few and get the ball rolling."'--but now I am going to have to tell you to re-read what I clearly wrote and stop purposefully misrepresenting my position.

So, to reiterate, my list was to "Just to name a few and get the ball rolling." Is that clear enough?

These various disputes within Christianity are Divinely Intentional and can not be thwarted.

Are you saying that if Christians decided to put aside their disputes so that peace prevails, God would sabotage their efforts or otherwise refuse to help them?

Are you saying that if Christians decided to put aside their disputes so that peace prevails, God would sabotage their efforts or otherwise refuse to help them?

Exactly none of us bear our own respective cross without Divine Intentions and Divine Reasons.

s

Back