Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Basic christian doctrines

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Thanks all for your contribution to this topic ;):wave

Do you think that it is also essential that all Christians agree that:
1) The Bible is inspired by God (2Tim. 3:16)
2) All people have sinned (Rom. 3:23,5:12)
3) Jesus is the only way to God the Father (John 14:6 ; Matt. 11:27 ; Luke 10:22)
4) Those who reject Jesus will go to Hell (Rev. 20:11-15)

Absolutely!

1 Peter 1:18Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot

1 Peter 1:18Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot

Excellent verse, and the passage goes on to refer to 'the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever', the source of sound doctrine.

There are numerous passages that either explicitly or implicitly state that Christians are to hold to correct doctrine.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,
1Ti 4:2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron,
1Ti 4:3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. (NKJV)

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, (NKJV)

Jud 1:3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. (NKJV)

Actually, it could be said that all Scripture implies that Christians are to hold to specific doctrine, hence it's writing, inspiration and canonization. Of course we cannot be so rigid as to think that that is all there is to it, lest it become a mere list of rules producing a dead faith. There is more to it than mere intellectual assent but neither can we deny that there are certain things Christians must believe.

Excellent verse, and the passage goes on to refer to 'the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever', the source of sound doctrine.
Thanks. I was emphasizing how only by the blood of Jesus that our sins are washed away. That is essential

All I have said so far is based on historical, orthodox Christianity. I will continue to say that who Jesus is is central to salvation. We simply cannot make Jesus out to be whomever we want and be saved.

From a christological point I would argue that is exactly what many do. All one has to do is read the posts on any Christian forum and you will find a plethora of Jesus' all individually tailored to fit todays individualism.

I have supply the answer to the OP but no one seems capably of understanding that what defines a Christian is contained in the Nicene Creed. Anything outside of that is non-Christian. It's that simple folks.

If you want to find out more study the Church Fathers.

All I have said so far is based on historical, orthodox Christianity. I will continue to say that who Jesus is is central to salvation. We simply cannot make Jesus out to be whomever we want and be saved.

I agree, and who is Jesus? He is the Christ the Son of the living God.
Making Him out to be whomever we want? Free, what I said came directly from Scripture.

Of course they didn't believe he was going to die for their sins. They expected a military campaign to set them free from the tyranny of Roman rule. Can you prove that any were saved solely based on believing Jesus was the Messiah? It sure isn't in the passage above. It seems your answers are still far too narrow. You are focusing on one passage at a time as though it says all there is to say on a matter. This is not good practice.

Free, again, if one understands what it means to be the Christ this is not an issue.

Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. (ESV)

Do you agree or disagree with Paul here?

Of course I do, and if one understands what it means to be the Christ they would also agree.

I would argue that the very term "Son of God" was understood by the Jews to mean that he was, in fact, God in nature--"they shall call his name 'Immanuel' (which means, God with us)" (Matt 1:23, ESV). He was the very embodiment of Israel's God.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this.

We also shouldn't forget other things Jesus said:

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up,
Joh 3:15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.
Joh 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Joh 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Joh 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. (ESV)

Seems that Jesus here is implicitly, if not explicitly, stating that salvation will be through his death and resurrection.

Maybe, if Nicodemus would have understood the word gave as referring to Christ's death. I don't think he would have made that connection given Jesus further statements about telling him of heavenly things. Either way that was a conversation with one man Jesus wasn't preaching, believe I'm going to die for your sins and you'll be saved.

You mean what Paul is referring to in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4?

15 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

Yes, notice that Paul says "Christ" not Jesus. I think this is significant because it was the Christ that was prophesied. Those things were prophesied of "The Christ." It is the argument of the NT writers that Jesus is the Christ. John says,

30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book;​
31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name. (Joh 20:30-31 NKJ)

What's significant here is that John's gospel was not addressed primarily to Jews but to Gentiles also. So, he's saying that the Gentiles also may believe that Jesus is the Christ.

There are numerous passages that either explicitly or implicitly state that Christians are to hold to correct doctrine.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,
1Ti 4:2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron,
1Ti 4:3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. (NKJV)

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, (NKJV)

Jud 1:3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. (NKJV)

Actually, it could be said that all Scripture implies that Christians are to hold to specific doctrine, hence it's writing, inspiration and canonization. Of course we cannot be so rigid as to think that that is all there is to it, lest it become a mere list of rules producing a dead faith. There is more to it than mere intellectual assent but neither can we deny that there are certain things Christians must believe.

Those verses from Paul to Timothy are certainly a necessary and wholesome reminder.

Blessings.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Agape

15 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

Yes, notice that Paul says "Christ" not Jesus. I think this is significant because it was the Christ that was prophesied. Those things were prophesied of "The Christ." It is the argument of the NT writers that Jesus is the Christ. John says,

30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book;​
31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name. (Joh 20:30-31 NKJ)

What's significant here is that John's gospel was not addressed primarily to Jews but to Gentiles also. So, he's saying that the Gentiles also may believe that Jesus is the Christ.​

Originally Posted by Agape

4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,​

Originally Posted by Butch5

What's significant here is that John's gospel was not addressed primarily to Jews but to Gentiles also. So, he's saying that the Gentiles also may believe that Jesus is the Christ.​

Hi agape,

Here is another passage where Paul addresses this subject.

Acts 26:21-23 (KJV)
21 For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me.
22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

Notice Paul says that he's saying nothing different than Moses and the prophets. To believe in the Christ is to believe these prophecies about Him and to believe that Jesus is this Christ.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back