Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Been having a major disagreement with boyfriend and needing some insight and/or advice.

So my boyfriend and I have been together for less than a year. We fell in to sexual sin and moved in together shortly thereafter. Essentially, we were just doing everything backwards and living like worldly couples do. It took me a couple of months to finally feel like we weren’t doing things according to God’s plan or design and so I moved out of his place in May and I’ve been abstaining from sex ever since then.

The thing is, he believes we’re married based off of some bible verses. He often likes to bring up the woman at the well where Jesus tells the woman she has 5 husbands. However, it seems like he’s not interested in acknowledging the end of those verses where Jesus tells her to "sin no more". Furthermore, because he believes we’re married he also brings up the verse that says married couples shouldn’t refuse sex from each other in 1 Corinthians. So now he’s pretty upset whenever he wants to have sex and I’m refusing saying that I’m going against God’s will and I’m sinning whenever I deny him sex.

We both feel like we’re right in our stance and are having a hard time seeing eye on eye on this and it’s just causing conflict. I know that if this a relationship I want to pursue, it might be wise to seek counseling from another believer who can help guide us through this.

There some truth in both sides.

If you love each other then get married.

Why not find a church and start going and begin to build your lives according to God?

Marriage is more than just consensual sexual relations between one man and one woman. There's also a personal relationship involved and one that is cooperative, open, honest and binding and not just until one gets bored or something.

He (Jesus) answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.
Matthew 19:4-6 NKJV

Scripture often equates the relationship between Israel and God's Church as a husband-wife relationship.

“Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people."
Jeremiah 31:31-33 NKJV

Then the disciples of John came to Him, saying, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but Your disciples do not fast?” And Jesus said to them, “Can the friends of the bridegroom mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them?"
Matthew 9:14-15 NKJV

Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls filled with the seven last plagues came to me and talked with me, saying, “Come, I will show you the bride, the Lamb’s wife.” And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, having the glory of God. Her light was like a most precious stone, like a jasper stone, clear as crystal.

But I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light. And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in its light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor into it. Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there). And they shall bring the glory and the honor of the nations into it. But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.

Revelation 21:9-11, 22-27 NKJV

I think everyone needs to back up a little, and consider the facts on the ground, and stop being emotionally involved as to what sexual congress between two unmarried parties equates to.

What Yeshua permitted or did not permit as viable grounds for divorce is not relevant in this particular case. What was considered marriage in Yeshua's time is.

Biblical marriage involves a contract that specifies details as to how the wife is to be treated by her husband. Primarily, this was to ensure her financial safety in the event of divorce, such as the return of dower property, and certain guarantees of maintainance while married (ie food and clothing); this contract is then validated publically by a marriage ceremony, involving public statements of the man taking the wife, and the woman consenting to be taken.

No contract was made (whether written or verbally before witnesses in their congregation), and no marital vows were taken, civilly, or within their congregation.

1) Both persons involved fornicated, they did not promise to marry, announce a betrothal, or give vows to one another.

2) Both parties lived in sin with one another. One party repented of the sin, and withdrew from the illicit relationship.

3) The other party is claiming marital rights that would not have been granted in Yeshua's time, and are not legal now.

Marriage is a covenant. There is no covenant here, as no promises have been made and witnessed.

If they are both committed believers in Yeshua, and wish to continue a relationship, they should get counseling on the practical realities of marriage OUTSIDE of their congregation, and not be pressured into formalizing what was obviously a major misstep in their lives. This is a problem that requires a practical solution, and not a religious one, as religion has obviously not been the prime mover in the previous cohabitation. Lust has been, and secular world views that we are all submerged in. Simply going to one's pastor or congregational leader for his viewpoint of how best to solve a situation involving blatant sexual sin under the guise of what is effectively a pre-marital counseling session (pre-cana conferance) is asking for trouble, because judgement will enter into to how not the man is judged, but the woman is, and what her duties are, as opposed to what the man's obligations are biblically.

The young woman is asking for advice on how to proceed, not to be told she has to marry a man who obviously does not value her.

Slapping a requirement on either party to continue a relationship that was begun in sin will not make it a workable reality.

Please show me where this is flawed by using scripture about marriage like I did.
Adam and Eve, in Genesis. God said a man will leave his parents and join with his wife. this is not a casual shacking up but a permanent union.
This is seen in the many marriages through the bible. Jacob Leah and Rachel for whom there was a week of celebration for the marriage, Isaac and Rebekah.
In every case there was a formal request, and a bride price.
By Moses's day there was a need for a formal letter of divorce, this indicates that marriage was far more than just moving in together, society knew who was married to who and divorce was a serious matter.

Yes there was no marriage certificate, but there was a recognition by those arround that a marriage had taken place and been celebrated.

By Jesus's day it was an establish custom of having a celebration when two people got married.

Men want sex its in our nature. Women want it too but they are modest in their approach. I would say learn to connect without sex. sexual activity is sexual immorality, but kissing is okay if you are not tempted, which is rare. Stay away from what you cannot handle. Just hug until you get married.

Back