Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Believe in God, you will be saved

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
If we repent, we are saved.

What does repent mean, except that we turn toward God.

If we turn toward God and obey, we are saved.
If we repent and turn towards God we are baptized into John the Baptist’s baptism.

At John’s baptism we must accept Jesus to be saved. John the Baptist said believe in the one who comes after me. There is one name under heaven that you may be saved by, and it is the name of Jesus.

The Father sent his only begotten son, that whosoever believes on him shall be saved. The work of Jesus bore our sins in his body on the cross that we might be saved at judgement day.

The Holy Spirit was send that we might have power to be witnesses of the good Gospel message.

Father
Son
Holy Spirit

eddif

If we repent and turn towards God we are baptized into John the Baptist’s baptism.

At John’s baptism we must accept Jesus to be saved. John the Baptist said believe in the one who comes after me. There is one name under heaven that you may be saved by, and it is the name of Jesus.

The Father sent his only begotten son, that whosoever believes on him shall be saved. The work of Jesus bore our sins in his body on the cross that we might be saved at judgement day.

The Holy Spirit was send that we might have power to be witnesses of the good Gospel message.

Father
Son
Holy Spirit

eddif
I seem to remember that we were discussing a formula for salvation.

So you believe there's a formula for being saved?
If one believes in God, does he not also believe in Jesus? Is Jesus not God?

If one believes in Jesus, does he not also believe in God? Is Jesus not God?

Believe and obey and you will be saved.
John 3:36

Two steps I see "Believing in Jesus and acting on that faith as in receiving Jesus"

Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

Jesus gives Paul his mission
to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they "may " receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are "sanctified by faith in me.’

Two steps I see "Believing in Jesus and acting on that faith as in receiving Jesus"

Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

Jesus gives Paul his mission
to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they "may " receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are "sanctified by faith in me.’
Opening the eyes.
This is repentance.
This is salvation.

Opening the eyes.
This is repentance.
This is salvation.
You believe and with that faith you "pray". I would assume there is a inward choice being made to choose the right and reject the wrong. And it was stated a "pledge of a good conscience towards God in regard to baptism" But I see believing and acting on that faith as in receiving Christ as the required steps. Jesus see's our hearts and acts accordingly. Nothing is hidden from Him.

A sign of true salvation according to Jesus and a change of heart in Zacchaeus (repentance is noted) But in this case Zacc climbed a tree to see Jesus and Jesus approached him. "I must stay at your house today"

But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord,“Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

First off we are individuals.
Randy brought up Zacchaeus, A very follow honesty person. Yet he still needed Jesus.

I did not / do not think a formula saves us. I do believe there is a
Gospel message that teaches.

Matthew 24:13 kjv
13. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

This is not the only thing that is involved with salvation.

So there is no need to find a scripture that says we sin and cancel the continue.

Acts 2:37 kjv
37. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

And you don’t have to say (well eddif what name do you believe there is a ceremonial name we are baptized into?). Ceremonies do not save alone without a change of heart.
Or
So eddif you believe that you need to speak in tongues to be saved? No. I did not say that.

Any thing I say can be manipulated to change a subject train of thought.

All I have presented is several things that accompany salvation.
1 Corinthians 15 outlines the Gospel
And the facets of it.

The covenant of the law has not totally passed away. You use the law lawfully even today.
So eddif you think we have to follow the law of Moses? No. I did not say that either.

I think this discussion fits this thread.

eddif

First off we are individuals.
Randy brought up Zacchaeus, A very follow honesty person. Yet he still needed Jesus.

I did not / do not think a formula saves us. I do believe there is a
Gospel message that teaches.

Matthew 24:13 kjv
13. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

This is not the only thing that is involved with salvation.

So there is no need to find a scripture that says we sin and cancel the continue.

Acts 2:37 kjv
37. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

And you don’t have to say (well eddif what name do you believe there is a ceremonial name we are baptized into?). Ceremonies do not save alone without a change of heart.
Or
So eddif you believe that you need to speak in tongues to be saved? No. I did not say that.

Any thing I say can be manipulated to change a subject train of thought.

All I have presented is several things that accompany salvation.
1 Corinthians 15 outlines the Gospel
And the facets of it.

The covenant of the law has not totally passed away. You use the law lawfully even today.
So eddif you think we have to follow the law of Moses? No. I did not say that either.

I think this discussion fits this thread.

eddif
Maybe it could use a new thread?

Sometimes I feel like we agree,
And sometimes I don't.

I'm just a bit confused.
Later

If we live by a physical formula created by God at creation, can a spiritual formula exist in the Bible?

eddif

Last edited:
Hi Gallant
Welcome to the forum.

I've come to understand that those that agree with you (as I also do), are not afraid of the word OBEY...even though we all sin at times.

It is those that fear the word OBEY that will debate even John 3:36, which is very clear.

I just don't understand the reason for this fear...
Thank you for the welcome!

100%. We must obey, although yes, we all do stumble. I don't understand either. It is fear, or rebellion, or a misunderstanding of what Jesus did for us. Unfortunately, some people hold a false doctrine of "righteousness by proxy" - the idea that Jesus was righteous for us, because we cannot be righteous, and therefore do not need to live righteously and that we just need to believe (in the shallow sense, like belief in facts and not true πιστεύω). This is heresy, and it is one of the reasons I joined. I am on a mission to combat it.

Thanks again for the welcome and Blessings in Yeshua. 🙏

Hello to all. I read through your discussion, and made a new thread just now, in the Godly love forum.

It is up to everybody now, to believe what they are able to believe, and regarding who stumbles, who commits sins, and who does not, is to believe in death, or life.

Take a look at the thread regarding, NO OCCASION OF STUMBLING FOR HE THAT LOVES HIS BROTHER.

100%. We must obey, although yes, we all do stumble. I don't understand either. It is fear, or rebellion, or a misunderstanding of what Jesus did for us. Unfortunately, some people hold a false doctrine of "righteousness by proxy" - the idea that Jesus was righteous for us, because we cannot be righteous, and therefore do not need to live righteously and that we just need to believe (in the shallow sense, like belief in facts and not true πιστεύω). This is heresy, and it is one of the reasons I joined. I am on a mission to combat it.

Paul seemed to understand the inability of humans to fully obey. The will was in him but the power to obey had to come from an outside source.

eddif

If one believes in Jesus, they have moved from the baptism of John the Baptist to believing in the one who came after John (Jesus).

We start out without belief in God. All sorts of creation hints around us, but we may be unaware of them. Our mind can be unaware of God.
The preaching of the knowledge of God is one of the items in
Hebrews 6.
Knowledge of God is progressive and referred to as foundations. Once you have made it to Jesus it is impossible to backtrack to repentance. I have posted this before. Repentance comes before acceptance of Jesus, but can not be an option after salvation in Christ Jesus. Do we repent of sins as they happen? Yes. Do we return to a totally lost condition after accepting Jesus? No. It is impossible.

eddif

You believe and with that faith you "pray". I would assume there is a inward choice being made to choose the right and reject the wrong. And it was stated a "pledge of a good conscience towards God in regard to baptism" But I see believing and acting on that faith as in receiving Christ as the required steps. Jesus see's our hearts and acts accordingly. Nothing is hidden from Him.

A sign of true salvation according to Jesus and a change of heart in Zacchaeus (repentance is noted) But in this case Zacc climbed a tree to see Jesus and Jesus approached him. "I must stay at your house today"

But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord,“Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”
OK agreed about Zacchaeus.
He must have had some stirrings already because he ran to see Jesus.
His intention to pay back those he had stolen from was immediate....

Please join my other thread which is very specific...
:)

PS
Yes, an inward choice is being made.
The choice one makes determines the outcome of their salvation.

I do believe you've nailed it.

We do hear this idea that we are righteous by proxy.
Not only that, I hear that our works are filthy rags to God...alluding to Isaiah 64:6 .

This is really a silly idea since Jesus did nothing but preach about how we are to do good works.

So I believe you're on a good mission.
There are many here that agree with us.

If one believes in Jesus, they have moved from the baptism of John the Baptist to believing in the one who came after John (Jesus).

The baptism of John was for the forgiveness of sins.
The baptism of Jesus is surely for power in the Holy Spirit.
We do learn, however, that when we are baptized our sins are forgiven up to that point.
And then, as time goes by, and sins do happen, we ask God for forgiveness and continue on our way.

We start out without belief in God. All sorts of creation hints around us, but we may be unaware of them. Our mind can be unaware of God.
The preaching of the knowledge of God is one of the items in
Hebrews 6.

I agree that some persons notice nothing in life and it just passes them by.
But biblically speaking, Romans does state that God can be known by the creation around us that is visible.
Definitely preaching is a much better way to get to know about God and to get to know God.

Knowledge of God is progressive and referred to as foundations. Once you have made it to Jesus it is impossible to backtrack to repentance. I have posted this before. Repentance comes before acceptance of Jesus, but can not be an option after salvation in Christ Jesus. Do we repent of sins as they happen? Yes. Do we return to a totally lost condition after accepting Jesus? No. It is impossible.

eddif
I agree with the above till the last sentence.
There are Christians that have left the faith. We are warned against this in scripture.
Then some will say that they were never saved to begin with...
Hate for this to turn into a OSAS discussion, but I'm willing if it's necessary.

I just think this belief system is dangerous to a believer.
Romans 2:6 God will render to each man according to his deeds.

Romans 2:7 Those who by perseverance by doing good, eternal life.

Romans 2:8 To those who do not obey the truth, wrath and indignation.

I've heard Charles Stanley state that anyone can commit any sin and still be saved.
This is not a biblical teaching.

The baptism of John was for the forgiveness of sins
I hope this is not seen as trying to get around an issue.

The major goal IMHO, is how do we receive the gift Jesus gave (forgiveness of sins).

The baptism of John is confession of sins. That prepares the way to the one who comes after John (Jesus)

1 Peter 2:24 kjv
24. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Acts 16:29 kjv
29. Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and
30. And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31. And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and
The man asked what must I do tone saved.
The jailer did not ask for a long doctrinal dissertation. He cut to the bare bones (what must I do to be saved). And got verse 31.

(Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.)

Nothing about confessing sins, nothing about repentance, nothing about the Holy Spirit, nothing about being a witness, nothing about spiritual gifts.

Just salvation. Shall be saved.

I am going to consider what salvation is.

If you have a scripture that says John’s baptism is salvation, then now is the time for it to be posted.

Not remission but salvation.

We are both working through this.

eddif

I hope this is not seen as trying to get around an issue.

The major goal IMHO, is how do we receive the gift Jesus gave (forgiveness of sins).

The baptism of John is confession of sins. That prepares the way to the one who comes after John (Jesus)

1 Peter 2:24 kjv
24. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Acts 16:29 kjv
29. Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and
30. And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31. And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and
The man asked what must I do tone saved.
The jailer did not ask for a long doctrinal dissertation. He cut to the bare bones (what must I do to be saved). And got verse 31.

(Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.)

Nothing about confessing sins, nothing about repentance, nothing about the Holy Spirit, nothing about being a witness, nothing about spiritual gifts.

Just salvation. Shall be saved.

I am going to consider what salvation is.

If you have a scripture that says John’s baptism is salvation, then now is the time for it to be posted.

Not remission but salvation.

We are both working through this.

eddif
Yes. Working through it.

The jailer said believe in Jesus.
What does Believe mean?
Give your definition...see if we're on the same page.

A verse about John's baptism.
Try this...
Those that were going to be baptized DID repent.
They were sorry for their sins. They went down into the water, died and came up clean and alive. Isn't this salvation?

Back