Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Buddhism / Christianity ; are they compatible ?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
That depends, ..for instance,.. might an eternal life envolve reincarnation(s) ?
The hope for Jesus's return in the flesh (re-in-carne) makes me comfortable to see these correlations.

There is a lot of difference between reincarnation and resurrection.

Any Buddhist will tell you that Buddhism does not teach resurrection. It's hard to nail down an exact understanding of Buddhist reincarnation because the English words that are used to explain it have too many connotations that morph the idea into things that are far more compatible with Christianity. But the real teaching of reincarnation is that the universal self evolves along a stream of consciousness that moves from one incarnation (taking on different physical body... be it human, animal or even supernatural) to another... not exactly the same each time... but not all that different either.

This has nothing in common with resurrection. When Christ was resurrected, His body was His own. It was a glorified body... but it was the same body He had when He died... the nail holes and the gash in His side were still there. Also, His consciousness wasn't "evolved"... either upward (depending upon good karma) or downward (if karma was bad). He was still very much, totally and completely the same person Who walked and talked with the disciples for the past three years.

If God is not real.... If there is no such Person as the Father... or the Son or the Holy Ghost for that matter....

...then there is nothing at all wrong with what I've come to view as the "smorgasbord" philosophy of life. As a matter of fact... it rather makes sense to go ahead and view all the world's religions and philosophies... taking hold of what is good or sensible in each and ignoring the dark underbelly of each (including Christianity's own dark underbelly.)

As long as God doesn't exist... this isn't a bad way to operate. I'd probably do it myself if I didn't believe that God is real.

But, as the writer to the Hebrews said, "It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Why "terrifying"? Isn't God a God of love? What's all the terror about?

Well, think about it. If God really is Who He says He is... then we can't just go about picking and choosing what we want to believe about Him and more importantly about what matters to Him. If God really is Who He says He is... then the idea that we can just go about an meld philosophies and ideas into the message that not only did He reveal to us... but He sent His Son to die so that we might be able to live within that message.

And that is the real issue... I believe someone has brought it up already...

If Buddhism and Christianity are really all that compatible... if it really doesn't matter which religion one follows... or simply blend the both if preferable... then why would Father actually send His Son to die?

That is the quantum leap between Christianity and every other world philosophy. The sacrificial death and resurrection (not reincarnation) of Jesus Christ.

Those reaching out in ignorance often find some of the truth simply because God said He would put His invisible attributes and His eternal power and His divine nature in creation. Men over time have observed these... and some have come up with philosophies based upon these that come closer to understanding God's message than others. The Buddha was one such person... in a lot of ways, Confucius was as well. We can respect these men who sought out spiritual truth... but we have the real deal.

As Paul stated, "they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’ Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man."

This is, of course, the basic problem with melding and molding other religions onto and into Christianity... by doing so, we are in effect making God into an image formed by the art and thought of man.

However, as I said, we have the real deal. Again, Paul: "Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead.â€

I happen to believe, and yes, I know I sort of buck the trend of many Christians in this, that when Paul said God "overlooked the times of ignorance" he means there is a lot of hope for those who lived and died in ignorance of the God of the Bible and yet still, seeing those invisible attributes did indeed grope for Him....

However, we are not they. They lived in ignorance. We are blessed beyond measure because we have God's outright declaration of truth and that truth is that Jesus was crucified for our sins, died and buried to pay the wages for our sins and was resurrected and He and He alone will judge,
in all righteousness, our hearts according to our acceptance of this one truth.

Which gets us right back to what the writer to the Hebrews was getting at when talking about how terrifying it is to fall into the hands of a living God.

A god of stone... or a god of thought... isn't going to make a lot of difference to one's eternal status. Neither is real.

But, as the writer of the Hebrews warns us, "
Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?"

It's hard to think of philosophy that brings us these attitudes:

1. I will be mindful and reverential with all life,
I will not be violent nor will I kill.

2. I will respect the property of others, I will not steal.

3. I will be conscious and loving in my relationships,
I will not give way to lust.

4. I will honor honesty and truth, I will not deceive.

5. I will exercise proper care of my body and mind,
I will not be gluttonous nor abuse intoxicants.

... as trampling underfoot the Son of God.

Oh, but it does. It certainly does. Because what the Buddha is saying is... rather opposite of the Obama... that one can do it on one's own. One doesn't need the blood of Christ nor God's grace.

Christianity has already borrowed from heathen religions and cults from around the world. Where do you think Christmas came from? So many of our practices have developed from gnostics and pagans. Most christians celebrate Christmas which was taken from the pagan festival of Saturnalia. Easter (Astarte) and those cute little chocolate bunnies... And that has what to do with Christ? It is a little difficult for us to take the moral high ground when we are already tattooed with so many other heathen practices. Why highlight Buddhism as particularly evil and turn a blind eye to others just because the majority vote has sanctioned some heathen practices and not others? Meditation is a commonly used practice by many health practitioners around the world. Are you also going to claim Acupuncture is evil because it relies on Meridians? Or that herbalist are evil because it is practiced by witches? This argument has become very pretentious and is not becoming. Buddha had excellent values that were shared with a world in darkness. Like all value systems, many things were added later that made it very "religious". The church is no different. We are not going to win these dear people to Christ with such judgemental attitudes.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, i awoke to a lot of posts to respond to ....

Wow, SpagLard. That's what you're going to base your affinity for Buddhism on? .

No that is not what i base my affinity on,
That goes to explain how there is nothing mutually exclusive to me
about Christianity (my religion) and Buddhism (a philosophy.)

I think where most of you fail to understand my position,
is that I am a Christian, that is my conviction,..
but i can still respect a philosophy from another
culture without being affraid of its "mystical nature" influencing my belief.
I can do a comparitive study between the two without feeling threatened
or having to compromise my faith by concepts that are not part of my beliefsystem.

I can't help a confessed Christian to see the red flags in Eastern mysticism if it's something that they do not see a conflict with. If achieving nirvana and becoming one with the universe is something that finds a nice resting place with the Gospel, then what we're told in scripture is of little value.

Different cultures, different values ?
The basic moral tenets of Buddhism do not contain a single thing that i find
contradictive of the Words of Christ. disagree all you like.

Reincarnation? Karma? These are lies that that are in direct conflict with the hope that comes only in Christ. You are wrong about the driving force of these lies in a system that perpetuates inhumane poverty and suffering. Working off bad karma runs counter to the sacrifice on the cross.

God i hate it when people call everything that is not waht they choose to believe " lies" , it shows such utter disdain and ignorance of how cultures differ.
"I am Christian" I am so right, 100% certain of it, so anything slightly different :is a lie of satan , and threatens me " :bigfrown
what are you affraid of but your Faith in God not being strong enough ?

2 Timothy 1:10 "but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel."

Christ is my savior, Buddha was a wise man with noble ideals.
I think they would have gotten along fine, not call eachother liars
and fail to find a resemblence in the essence of their moralities.

I know I'm not going to convince you of the threat that Eastern religions pose to your walk. It might help to find a solid biblical pastor to shepherd you through this, but ultimately it will come through prayer and scripture.

Keep calling buddhism a religion, and you have totally missed the point
of how i approach Buddhism. (it is not a religion to me )
...A Pastor ?
Christ is my guide, that will do.
i do not need to have his Word explained to me by middle-men.

Christianity has already borrowed from heathen religions and cults from around the world. Where do you think Christmas came from? So many of our practices have developed from gnostics and pagans. Most christians celebrate Christmas which was taken from the pagan festival of Saturnalia. Easter (Astarte) and those cute little chocolate bunnies... And that has what to do with Christ? It is a little difficult for us to take the moral high ground when we are already tattooed with so many other heathen practices. Why highlight Buddhism as particularly evil and turn a blind eye to others just because the majority vote has sanctioned some heathen practices and not others? Meditation is a commonly used practice by many health practitioners around the world. Are you also going to claim Acupuncture is evil because it relies on Meridians? Or that herbalist are evil because it is practiced by witches? This argument has become very pretentious and is not becoming. Buddha had excellent values that were shared with a world in darkness. Like all value systems, many things were added later that made it very "religious". The church is no different. We are not going to win these dear people to Christ with such judgemental attitudes.

If you are in deep meditation your brain goes into theta waves. You are in a trance and I believe you open yourself up to the spirit realm. I am sure Buddha saw a lot of "stuff" to be able to suggest we possibly turn into a supernatural being after we die. I think it's right to warn people. What do you think of Hypnosis? Is it a benevolent therapy or is it occult? Maybe you can meditate all your life and just stay in alpha waves but I'm not going to try it.

If you are in deep meditation your brain goes into theta waves. You are in a trance and I believe you open yourself up to the spirit realm.

Spirit realm ?
There is nothing of the sort even mentioned in Buddhist meditation practice.
I've meditated for 14 years ,
what it does for me is still the mind in it's incessant thoughts-
it silences the rambling and refocusses me as a being. :nod

I am sure Buddha saw a lot of "stuff" to be able to suggest we possibly turn into a supernatural being after we die.

Buddha speculated, postulated,..what would be left of us when the body dies..
that does not require "seeing stuff in the spirit realm " while meditating.

what exactly qualifies as "super-natural" ?

What do you think of Hypnosis? Is it a benevolent therapy or is it occult?

I don't see a direct paralel between meditation and hypnosis.
Hypnosis (post-traumatic-stress disorder therapy) did a lot of good for my father.
Anything you do not understand the inner workings of is "occult " by definition.
So you tell me ? is it "occult" to you ? :confused:

This is like saying I am going to follow the sermon on the mount but I'm not going to accept Jesus as my savior. Are you trying to meditate yourself out of exsistence? That is what Buddhism is really about. If you've never been in a trance I doubt you are taking the goal to escape suffering seriously. If you are just borrowing some ideas to live by the fact they came from Buddha is not much different than if they came from your grandmother.

Look up mara it is a demon that tempted Buddha. Buddha just sees demons as ultimately false as they are all part of the great one.

Not suggesting you embrace the "path" of the Buddhist at all just saying you don't seem to have done that.

And yes hypnosis is occult.

This is like saying I am going to follow the sermon on the mount but I'm not going to accept Jesus as my savior.

No it isn't.
It's more like saying ; I'm of Belgian descent, i'm proud of that and
it is my first identifying marker when thinking of myself, but i can also appreciate
that i live in the UK, and it's culture. I sometimes even eat Italian icecream.

Are you trying to meditate yourself out of exsistence? That is what Buddhism is really about

in all due respect, that description only tells me
that Your understanding of Buddhism is very limited.
No, i don't try to "meditate myself out of existence"
I meditate to pierce the veil of illusions, still the mind and develop spiritually.

If you've never been in a trance I doubt you are taking the goal to escape suffering seriously.

A state of trance is not required to change ones consciousness.
What you label an "escape from suffering" is more correctly ;
acceptance of the constant state of suffering and integrating understanding and compassion for all beings in this state.
It IS NOT a personal want / urge to escape suffering that makes me meditate.

Look up mara it is a demon that tempted Buddha. Buddha just sees demons as ultimately false as they are all part of the great one.

Mara is a symbolic personification of negative impulses !
a metaphor for various processes of doubt and temptation that obstruct spiritual practice.

And yes hypnosis is occult.

By definition, only if you don't understand hypnosis and it's workings.
there is nothing "magickal" or "demonic" about it IMHO .

Well it sounds like you have combined the two some I'm curious how you've done this. A buddhist would say a rock is somehow an expression of himself so is God an expression of you? Is God interdependent with you? Will you reach Nirvana and go to Heaven? Will you be reborn? Are you attached to Jesus or are you free of that desire?

I know you cannot do meditation. You are not trying to become enlightened you are just realizing it. Personally to me it's just playing around with words. If you think Buddha was never in a trance or never experienced anything but normal reality I don't think you are being honest. He starved himself and meditated for days. Where do you think these stories like mara come from or why did he not deny "gods".

Well it sounds like you have combined the two some I'm curious how you've done this.

Please clarify for me :
do you think i combined Christianity and Buddhism into one "religion" ?
i most certainly haven't.

A buddhist would say a rock is somehow an expression of himself so is God an expression of you?

i'm not a buddhist nor did i ever claim to be,
I AM a Christian.

Will you reach Nirvana and go to Heaven?

God willing , i'll go to heaven.
(although i don't believe that that means "going somewhere " at all)

Will you be reborn?

I sure hope not.

Are you attached to Jesus or are you free of that desire?

I am free of many desires, but i am With Christ.

I know you cannot do meditation. You are not trying to become enlightened you are just realizing it.

i never said that was a goal of meditation for me "to become enlightened"

Personally to me it's just playing around with words. If you think Buddha was never in a trance or never experienced anything but normal reality I don't think you are being honest.

i think you have a very rigid idea about what "reality" entails/encompasses.
Buddha experienced nothing outside of "reality" .
because there never was/ is anything to experience outside of reality.
All experiences are within the reality we share.

He starved himself and meditated for days. Where do you think these stories like mara come from or why did he not deny "gods".

Buddha's entire realisation and consequent teaching/ method is reactionary to
the then-prevalent Brahmanic religion.
Buddha did not deny "gods", true
buddha questioned them as he did with any part of "reality" .
but they are not "gods" to be defined as anything like Our Lord God.

Do you imply that meditation or self-emaciation are required
to develop concepts like mara , maya or the devas ?

Please clarify for me :
do you think i combined Christianity and Buddhism into one "religion" ?
i most certainly haven't.
Well thats good as they are not compatible.
i'm not a buddhist nor did i ever claim to be,
I AM a Christian.
Well that's good I guess I got that impression from the topic and your defense of Buddhism.
God willing , i'll go to heaven.
(although i don't believe that that means "going somewhere " at all)
Ok, I think it's literal.
I sure hope not.
Don't worry you wont.

I am free of many desires, but i am With Christ.
Personally I don't think God wants us to be free of desires and emotions. God gets angry, he cries, he desired to bring Jerusalem under his care. He told the leper he wanted to heal him not I think it's a good idea.
i never said that was a goal of meditation for me "to become enlightened"
Well if Buddhism and Christianity were compatible you'd have to try and become the Buddha so no they are not compatible. If you simply borrow some of Buddha's ideas and apply them to your life it may as well have been your grandmother though only Jesus is the light of the world.

i think you have a very rigid idea about what "reality" entails/encompasses.
Buddha experienced nothing outside of "reality" .
because there never was/ is anything to experience outside of reality.
All experiences are within the reality we share.
In the Bible God let someone see into the spiritual before a battle. When God willed Isreal win a battle what do you think was happening? There is quite a lot you could see and normally and thankfully we don't.

Buddha's entire realisation and consequent teaching/ method is reactionary to
the then-prevalent Brahmanic religion.
Buddha did not deny "gods", true
buddha questioned them as he did with any part of "reality" .
but they are not "gods" to be defined as anything like Our Lord God.

Do you imply that meditation or self-emaciation are required
to develop concepts like mara , maya or the devas ?
Well yes and no. I could just make up some story to illustrate a point but Buddha experienced these things. I have also meditated for hours on end and awakened my "kundalini". You actually see stuff. Lights, colors. If Buddha saw a beautiful woman to tempt him after meditating and not eating for days I would say he actually saw something. When he was questioned I would say he actually heard something. Like native american vision quests and stuff. These are quite literal. It's not as if nothing happens and they make up some story of a flying bird to illustrate a point.

It is ironic that those who are adamant that Buddhism and Christianity share nothing in common will at the same time try to convince people that the political Kingdoms, which Satan is ruler over, are combatable with Christianity. The double standards are laughable... :sad

"We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one." (1 John 5:19)

"I will not speak with you much longer, for the ruler of this world is coming." (John 14:30)

"the god of this age has blinded the minds of those who do not believe." (2 Cor 4:4)

How has Buddha become the Antichrist and the political institutions are now our friends (whom we are combatable)? This logic is hypocritical.

Let's stay on topic here. This isn't about governments.

Personally, I see anything with a different message than that of the Gospel anti-Christian and "an" anti-Christ.

Let's stay on topic.

Personally, I see anything with a different message than that of the Gospel anti-Christian and "an" anti-Christ.

I can understand that position,
but i also think it is a somewhat arrogant and impossible position to occupy.

If i would reason along the same lines, i'd consider anything except
Chistianity as "evil" or "the enemy" .
I would likely feel like anything and everyone with a "different"
outlook on the world than my own is against me and my faith.

please understand this ;

Anything actually, truly Anti-Christian i don't hesitate to label an enemy.

but,..
If i would label everything different from Christianity "anti-Christian"
i would instantly have a whole lot of "enemies".

But that would be wrong (a logical fallacy) in my opinion,
as : something DIFFERENT is not nescessarily something incompatible with or against (anti-) Christianity.

"This one is the antichrist: the person who denies the Father and the Son." (1 John 2:22)

John was writing, as usual, in a parable. It was cryptic. We have taken these words literal as though Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu's, Shinto's, Confucius, etc, were all the Antichrist. This was not what John meant. His words are prophetic of an outcome as much as they are pragmatic dogmas. Much of the scripture has been written in parable which catches the wise in his own cunning.

I can understand that position,
but i also think it is a somewhat arrogant and impossible position to occupy.

If i would reason along the same lines, i'd consider anything except
Chistianity as "evil" or "the enemy" .
I would likely feel like anything and everyone with a "different"
outlook on the world than my own is against me and my faith.

please understand this ;

but,..
If i would label everything different from Christianity "anti-Christian"
i would instantly have a whole lot of "enemies".

But that would be wrong (a logical fallacy) in my opinion,
as : something DIFFERENT is not nescessarily something incompatible with or against (anti-) Christianity.
I don't think Mike is saying that "everything different from Christianity" is anti-Christian, but rather anything that proposes salvation other than through Christ's death and resurrection, anything that is anti-gospel, and anything that opposes or contradicts Scripture. Anything that is against Christ can rightly be called "anti-Christ".

Gal 1:6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel—
Gal 1:7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.
Gal 1:8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

I have not been involved in this forum for a long time, but I thought I would like to add a few comments:

Buddhism is not a philosophy it is a religion and believe through certain beliefs and actions they will reach enlightenment (Nirvana). Although they may have some beliefs that resemble parts of the Christian faith it does not make them compatible. It makes it more dangerous as Christians can be decieved into following other false beliefs. This is the basis of deception in the Church.

Why bother involving yourself with if all you need is Christ and the aspects of Buddhism that are not similar are against Christ and what he taught.

I have not been involved in this forum for a long time, but I thought I would like to add a few comments:

Buddhism is not a philosophy it is a religion and believe through certain beliefs and actions they will reach enlightenment (Nirvana). Although they may have some beliefs that resemble parts of the Christian faith it does not make them compatible. It makes it more dangerous as Christians can be decieved into following other false beliefs. This is the basis of deception in the Church..

Whether one approaches Buddhism as a religion or a philosophy
is a personal choice. (perhaps unless one in born /raised buddhist)
Some atheists and agnostics take Christianity as a philosophy ,
a set of guidelines and find value in its moral tenets.
There is nothing wrong with that to me.
There is nothing to buddhism that requires "belief" to consider
it as a paralel / other outlook on the world with valuable teaching in it.
I am not affraid of being deceived by entertaining concepts and ideas that are not my own per se.

Why bother involving yourself with if all you need is Christ and the aspects of Buddhism that are not similar are against Christ and what he taught

Why bother doing anything but reading Christ's word over and over ?

context, comparisons and contrast my friend. that is what people learn from..
NOT by studying a single outlook,..
ONE static unwavering outlook which they fear of being challenged by anything that is different from that worldview.

I study various cultures, ideas and religions,
i always consider multiple options / explanations
and never has this made me trust any less in our Lord Christ. go figure.

"abillity to endure contradiction, is a high sign of culture "

spag i have a big problem with your idea of mixing siddarthma gupta with christ. i did some of that before i got save. i was way into the martial arts and that is what they teach. buddhism is primarily taught in the traditional arts.

its not forced on you and i know christians that do those arts but if you want to learn zen buddhism and or buddha. you can easily see it and get the info.

Back