Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

But It Doesn't Say That In The Bible!!!!!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Edward

2024 Supporter
I didn't want to derail another thread so will go off on a tangent here instead. It happens every so often and it just happened again, and I always find it quizzical why?

Scripture will be being discussed and someone says something akin to you can/can not do this or that because it isn't addressed in scripture. Then the other brother/sister will say yeah but I was given words of knowledge or whatever and it is ok...Then it's, "scripture doesn't say it so I don't believe it" :sad

Now my intent is not to advise to go extra-biblical, but to ask the question, Is God more than the bible? Is God limited to what scripture says and nothing more?

The bible is critically important to us, that's a given. But in a nutshell, what does it do? It largely leads us to the Lord. Now we can get to know Him, that we've been led to Him. It is written, that if all the things that Jesus did were recorded, that all the books of the world could not contain it...so why the hesitation to receive edification from brothers and sisters because it's outside your religious box? Ok, so it may not be in scripture but that may not mean that it isn't true.

I forget the exact scripture reference, but it's in there about a zillion times (lol) that...we are to walk in faith. There's ways to test everything, and we have the throne room of God on speed dial for us through prayer. Step out in faith. When Peter walked on the water, he had to get out of the boat first before he could walk on water. So it is with pursuing intimacy with our Lord in relationship. You will have to get out of the boat in faith (bible) to grow your relationship with Christ, because everything isn't in the scriptures.
We must be careful to not harden our hearts and limit God to the box of the bible. Iron sharpens iron and in Proverbs, we see it stated as fact that a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. To me, this is practically an instruction to study and fellowship together, lol.

Proverbs 27:17
17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend./(KJV)

That's how the Lord works! No one has all the answers, but as a body complete, we do. So don't be so quick to dismiss things that brothers/sisters say because it's not in scripture.

My understanding is the major point of the bible is to show us a glimpse into God's character, or nature, and to identify that God does nothing outside of it. So, based on that understanding if we receive counsel or some sort of direction that is not specifically stated in the bible we must ask ourselves is this new information in line with what we understand God's nature to be? And if we are unsure we go back to the bible to further study His nature so that we will understand.

When Peter walked on the water, he had to get out of the boat first before he could walk on water. So it is with pursuing intimacy with our Lord in relationship. You will have to get out of the boat in faith (bible) to grow your relationship with Christ, because everything isn't in the scriptures.

That passage also teaches that as soon as one takes their eyes off of Jesus, they become as a nonbeliever and suffer the consequences for their non-belief.

There's nothing wrong with stepping outside the box, but when you do, you take the Lord with you.

My understanding is the major point of the bible is to show us a glimpse into God's character, or nature, and to identify that God does nothing outside of it. So, based on that understanding if we receive counsel or some sort of direction that is not specifically stated in the bible we must ask ourselves is this new information in line with what we understand God's nature to be? And if we are unsure we go back to the bible to further study His nature so that we will understand.

Exactly. It can not conflict with scripture or it gets tossed. That means doing our own homework, lol. But it's the only way to be sure about something. We have the Word, the Holy Spirit, Prayer AND brothers and sisters in the body. Too often though, a discussion where a new viewpoint is raised and one perhaps will not want to take the time to look it up for himself and pray about it or something, so they fall back on, it isn't in scripture so I reject it. Like the kids say, Epic Fail! That could be the Lord trying to show you something through a brother! I think this is something that we, as Christians should be aware of and guard ourselves against.

The Lord is so much bigger than the bible! His Word is priceless, and yet, practically speaking, it's only His autobiography, lol. I listen closely to kids too. It's true that out of the mouths of babes comes wisdom sometimes.

That passage also teaches that as soon as one takes their eyes off of Jesus, they become as a nonbeliever and suffer the consequences for their non-belief.

There's nothing wrong with stepping outside the box, but when you do, you take the Lord with you.

Good point brother. You have to take the Lord with you or who knows where one may end up?!

i_must_be_lost-2780.gif

Proverbs 27:17
17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend./(KJV)

That's how the Lord works! No one has all the answers, but as a body complete, we do. So don't be so quick to dismiss things that brothers/sisters say because it's not in scripture.

2 Corinthians 11....(NKJV)
3 But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4 For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted—you may well put up with it!

Take a deep breath Edward, and relax (just do not go to sleep). LOL

You should be a quoter of
Romans 1:19-20
Especially when you pick an item to study. Just mention the natural heart pacemaker looking like a crucified man (thy word have I hid in my heart). While the words may be silent those around you think (well I do not find that explained anywhere).

I Corinthians 9:9 compares a minister to an ox. Eyes may roll when you examine hoofs of clean animals and count stomachs.

If you think controversy will not follow those who ask for wisdom, you had better be ready to hear laughter. I don't think you should seek attention by being strange, but symbolism is just strange at times. If you have a thought not written about when Revelation was written, then you may be a redneck from Mississippi.

Share with us Edward.

eddif

Look at the NUTS who say God gave them the Word... Jim Jones the David K guy .. etc... Some thing that is contrary to the Scripture i would not believe is from God... Some folks play word games ...

Look at the NUTS who say God gave them the Word... Jim Jones the David K guy .. etc... Some thing that is contrary to the Scripture i would not believe is from God... Some folks play word games ...

And are very good at it.

Do you mean scrabble, or words with friends?

2 Peter 2
18 For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness, the ones who have actually escaped[d] from those who live in error.

I know you were joking. I saw an opening and I took it. :lol

Mat 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
I don't think little faith means no faith, as an unbeliever. :shrug

Mat 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
I don't think little faith means no faith, as an unbeliever. :shrug

It doesn't. But what is doubt?

"Wherefore didst thou doubt?"

Loosely translated: "Why did you not believe?" or for KJV only crowd: "Wherefore didst thou believest not?"

Thoughts?

Absolutely... unless you have B, C, & V, you do NOTHING.

Loosely translated: "Why did you not believe?" or for KJV only crowd: "Wherefore didst thou believest not?"

Thoughts?
Jesus said Peter had little faith or belief in this matter, he got scared just like he did when he denied that he knew Jesus. He didn't say that Peter didn't have any faith in Him at all. It took faith just to step out of the boat.
I see this rather like when we first step out in faith to believe and later things get stormy and we get weak and afraid, so we have to remember to reach out for support because He's already there reaching out to us.

Thoughts?
Faith is like a seed planted. Belief may be the miracle grow and rain that causes increasing growth.

Doubt may be the drought that causes growth to stop.

eddif

Jesus said Peter had little faith or belief in this matter, he got scared just like he did when he denied that he knew Jesus. He didn't say that Peter didn't have any faith in Him at all. It took faith just to step out of the boat.
I see this rather like when we first step out in faith to believe and later things get stormy and we get weak and afraid, so we have to remember to reach out for support because He's already there reaching out to us.

My point is that if Peter would have kept his attention on the world around him, he would have drowned because of his non-belief.

This passage teaches me that we are safe as long as our focus is on Jesus. But when our focus moves from Him to the world, the consequences can be quite dreadful. As in the depiction of Peter sinking to what is an obvious death had he not called out for Jesus.

That's all I was saying...:)

My point is that if Peter would have kept his attention on the world around him, he would have drowned because of his non-belief.

This passage teaches me that we are safe as long as our focus is on Jesus. But when our focus moves from Him to the world, the consequences can be quite dreadful. As in the depiction of Peter sinking to what is an obvious death had he not called out for Jesus.

That's all I was saying...:)
It teaches me that Jesus saved Peter, even though Peter failed to ask for forgiveness, first.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back