Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

But It Doesn't Say That In The Bible!!!!!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I kind of imagine that statement will be echoed by billions one day. And it is not admitting wrong, nor asking for forgiveness.... yet Jesus needs no more than to see we are in trouble to respond. Peter would have been in deep.... water, if Jesus demanded a demonstration of deep sorrow, instead of just fear, before acting.

Brother that is kind of like partial truth in this statment.
Good Christians get killed all the time and dont you think Jesus saw them?
Some times people make bad choices and bad choices have bad out comes....
In the Peter and the started to sink part.......He took His eyes off of Jesus or The word that Jesus gave him. "COME"
When He was full of Jesus or Faith and Trust it was all good, I mean look at him walken on the water.....Then the waves kicked up a little and he began to get some spray on him and then it happened...HE took His eyes off of Jesus or Jesus's Word and looked to the waves and the sinking part....Fear set in and he was slipping down BUT HE CRIED OUT TO JESUS FOR HELP......So Jesus gave Him Help

You take this and connect it with the time when the diciples got into fear and panic with yet another storm you begin to see the patteren here of True Faith or little faith and doubt.....Again we have "Visual Aid Brother"

Lord Krishna isn't in the bible either.

The issue isn't whether it's in the bible or not. The issue is, how does it stand up to the scriptures.

I tend to be more willing to go beyond the strict reading of Scripture. I understand that; I am different. I find the willingness to consider new information allows me to embrace a more living Word. Just how I work. I'm not saying anone else should.

1John 4:1-3
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the spirit of God: every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

I happen to agree with this. Others don't have to, but I do. The example I usually bring up is the last World Series- whichever one it was, it wasn't in the Bible, but I'm reasonably sure it happened regardless.

On a less frivolous note, I don't see why it's so impossible that God has continued to contact some of us since the last word of known Scripture was penned. Yes, you'll bring up the Scripture that warns of deceptive visions increasing into the final end times. I'm sure that is happening also, but why not genuine comm from the Almighty?

I had a vision. I make no attempt to conceal that. I believe it was genuine. I can't prove it was a real message from the Lord (although I have evidence that it was a spiritual occurence of some nature, and not just a bad dream). It changed my life. For better or worse only time will tell.

To me it seems as if there is revelation knowledge (our concepts being taken up a notch) being released to further our understanding of the goodness (or gospel or good news) of God. The church has been under a turn or burn, hell fire and brimstone kind of preaching for a long time. Much like the children of Israel were until Jesus walked and preached. I believe that God wants His goodness preached. The fact that He is a very loving, kind, and generous God, who wants us to be happy,and truly cares about every facet of our lives. How many people in this world do not know us Christians by our love (that God poured out into our hearts when we accepted Him as Lord and savior)? Many people have been hurt by the church, and now want nothing to do with God. It seems to me that it time to shower the world with God's love and forgiveness.

That passage also teaches that as soon as one takes their eyes off of Jesus, they become as a nonbeliever and suffer the consequences for their non-belief.

There's nothing wrong with stepping outside the box, but when you do, you take the Lord with you.
Jesse Edward reba and Gary

That is certainly one way to look at that passage. But perhaps there is something else which is quite obvious. Peter is our example that we all take our eyes of Jesus. We're a broken people in a broken world... and there is nothing new in this world right? Well, perhaps there is something new, and it comes through Jesus.

The text says, Matthew 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

Did we catch that? Jesus immediately was there for him. Perhaps this is actually a story about rescue. Perhaps the words, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? aren't words of shame, but words of empathy.

You see, it's a truth that we all take our eyes of Jesus. Every one of us and we can't save ourselves. But the good news is that Jesus is there for us and when we're drowning, he's there for us and because we know he's there for us, we've got a hope that can never be stripped away.

So, when I read this story, I don't see it as something to shame us with. Instead, I see it as a story of rescue and hope. And isn't that what Jesus came to do? Rescue us from a broken world and build our faith? You see, we all doubt at times and doubt can steal our hope. But Jesus acts in our time of doubt to restore our hope and by doing so, saves us. Isn't that really what the cross was about? He died, was buried and rose again. It's something tangible that others saw with their own eyes. I call it love in action.

Something to think about anyway.

Last edited:
:study yup i see Eddif, O there's Gary.. and JLB.. Wow Jethro Bodine is there too...
Jasonc Edward ... Willie, Jesse... Obadiah.. Well surprise surprise look who else is see... :eek2
scary thought in deed that I will make it to heaven

In the Peter and the started to sink part.......He took His eyes off of Jesus or The word that Jesus gave him. "COME"
When He was full of Jesus or Faith and Trust it was all good, I mean look at him walken on the water.....Then the waves kicked up a little and he began to get some spray on him and then it happened...HE took His eyes off of Jesus or Jesus's Word and looked to the waves and the sinking part....Fear set in and he was slipping down BUT HE CRIED OUT TO JESUS FOR HELP......So Jesus gave Him Help

You take this and connect it with the time when the diciples got into fear and panic with yet another storm you begin to see the patteren here of True Faith or little faith and doubt.....Again we have "Visual Aid Brother"
I think you may be missing the point I keep trying to make.

I believe we do seekers (It's not a "bad" word) a disservice by telling them, as Jesse, and a few others, seem to believe, that Jesus will not rescue us without a demonstration of remorse on our part. He seems to feel that we are not forgiven for ANY thing we do wrong, after the initial cleansing at our baptisms, and that it is a solid and concrete requirement that we MUST go through a procedure of asking for forgiveness, anew, after each and every mistake we make.

Peter did not ask for forgiveness here, nor did he even express sorrow. We have to admit it, he was scared, and cried out for help. And we have no record of him doing the begging scene afterward to gain forgiveness he felt he did not have.

The only time we see him in this state is when Jesus told him to, "Feed my sheep", three times.... and all this time it was HIM who felt shame and guilt, and he, not Jesus, was considering HIMSELF unworthy, while Jesus just kept right on trying to get him to understand that he was OK with Jesus, and was simply to accept the forgiveness he never lost in the first place, and get to work feeding Jesus' sheep.

1John 4:1-3
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the spirit of God: every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
This is a good point.
There are many churches out there today that sidestep Jesus.
They indirectly teach that you can bypass Jesus and go directly to God the Father with your requests.
After all, we are gods too, aren't we?

But what does the Bible say?
1 Timothy 2:5;
"For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Jesus Christ, who gave himself a ransom for all people".

Willie T
By way of example, I was recently promoted at work to a Global position. I didn't think I was qualified and I knew I certainly didn't have the knowledge. Honestly, I didn't even understand part of the role. I was afraid, but excited. But what really pushed me through my anxiety was the people who believed in me. You see, I had to go outside how I viewed myself and my capabilities and simply trust the judgment of others and I had to believe what they thought about me.
In the same way, Jesus believes in us and he has faith in us. Within Christian dialog we always talk about our faith in God, but I think we've utterly failed to understand that Jesus has faith in us. He believes in us. I believe that when we start to really understand that Jesus has faith in us, then that's something worth believing and it can build faith the size of a mustard seed.

Willie T
By way of example, I was recently promoted at work to a Global position. I didn't think I was qualified and I knew I certainly didn't have the knowledge. Honestly, I didn't even understand part of the role. I was afraid, but excited. But what really pushed me through my anxiety was the people who believed in me. You see, I had to go outside how I viewed myself and my capabilities and simply trust the judgment of others and I had to believe what they thought about me.
In the same way, Jesus believes in us and he has faith in us. Within Christian dialog we always talk about our faith in God, but I think we've utterly failed to understand that Jesus has faith in us. He believes in us. I believe that when we start to really understand that Jesus has faith in us, then that's something worth believing and it can build faith the size of a mustard seed.
Yes, it is all in understanding our identity in Him, and how He sees and relates to, and with us.

Excellent post. :thumbsup

I tend to be more willing to go beyond the strict reading of Scripture. I understand that; I am different. I find the willingness to consider new information allows me to embrace a more living Word. Just how I work. I'm not saying anone else should.

A lot of people do that. The 30,000 plus christian denominations in this country attest to that.

The text says, Matthew 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

Correct.

Immediately after, Peter called out for help.

Jesse Edward reba and Gary

That is certainly one way to look at that passage. But perhaps there is something else which is quite obvious. Peter is our example that we all take our eyes of Jesus. We're a broken people in a broken world... and there is nothing new in this world right? Well, perhaps there is something new, and it comes through Jesus.

Did we catch that? Jesus immediately was there for him. Perhaps this is actually a story about rescue. Perhaps the words, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? aren't words of shame, but words of empathy.

You see, it's a truth that we all take our eyes of Jesus. Every one of us and we can't save ourselves. But the good news is that Jesus is there for us and when we're drowning, he's there for us and because we know he's there for us, we've got a hope that can never be stripped away.

So, when I read this story, I don't see it as something to shame us with. Instead, I see it as a story of rescue and hope. And isn't that what Jesus came to do? Rescue us from a broken world and build our faith? You see, we all doubt at times and doubt can steal our hope. But Jesus acts in our time of doubt to restore our hope and by doing so, saves us. Isn't that really what the cross was about? He died, was buried and rose again. It's something tangible that others saw with their own eyes. I call it love in action.

Something to think about anyway.
I am curious as to why i am tagged here?

Correct.

Immediately after, Peter called out for help.

hmm, what version is that? What verse are you referring to?
kjv Matthew 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

asv Matthew 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and took hold of him, and saith unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

ylt Matthew 14:31 And immediately Jesus, having stretched forth the hand, laid hold of him, and saith to him, `Little faith! for what didst thou waver?'

:hug

We are much more secure in Christ then i grew up believing... Not of our actions but of His...
Yeah, Isn't that the simple truth! Sometimes we make it so complicated. No wonder when we fall short we feel so rotton and so many fall away.

hug moment.

add some prayer for my bro, he turned 40 today and its at shands hospital(Gainesville and home of the gators) having his kidney cut open to fix them. that sucks. 40 was rough for me. im sure he is feeling that too, far worse then I did.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back