Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

By Nature Children of Wrath as others !

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Incorrect ... I am assuming in mean available such that a person has an opportunity from man's perspective to be saved
Proof:
  • Premise 1: Faith in Christ is required for salvation John 3:36 He who believes and trusts in the Son and accepts Him [as Savior] has eternal life; but he who does not believe the Son and chooses to reject Him, will not see [eternal] life, but [instead] the wrath of God hangs over him continually.”
  • Premise 2: Faith cometh by hearing the gospel
  • Premise 3: Billions of people have died that have not heard the gospel https://www.globalcp.org/statistics
  • Conclusion: God is not available to ALL.
Given the proof above, how does this change your contention(s) or was it an irrelevant question or do I have a false premise?
Had those "billions" wanted to know and serve a god, our God would have been made known to him/her.
He loves us and wants all men to come to Him.
Knowledge of Him will not be hide from anyone who wants Him.
Yes ... I am assuming you mean in a salvific sense when you say 'reply'.
If you believe salvation is not God's doing then you believe in dualism ... that some other cosmic power has caused a person to 'reply to him'. For God knows before the foundation of the earth those that will believe salvificly. So either God determines one's salvation, or He consults with some other cosmic, eternal power to determine one's salvation. He can't consult you in eternity past because as yet you were nothing ... and nothing comes from nothing.
God has made salvation available.
It is up to us to take it or leave it.
All men get that chance.
John 1:12-13; Phil. 1:29
Psalm 139:16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance, and in Your book all the days [of my life] were written before ever they took shape, when as yet there was none of them. [Your life is written (not recorded) by God, we follow His script and not our own ... at the time you were NOTHING so there is NOTHING to record ....unless some other eternal power told God what was to happen]
God is outside of time, as a thousand years are like one day to Him.
He can peer into anyone's life at any stage thereof.
"Fault" implies responsibility for an accident or misfortune. The misfortune is the fault of the sinner. God does determine who will respond salvificly IMO.
I agree, but that isn't the point you have been trying to make.
I thought you were positing that God decides who will be saved before the man even exists.
Well, where's your evidence to support your contention. I've shown that billions of people go to the lake of fire because they never heard the gospel. How does that fit into your opinion of what God does and does not do?
It is only your assumption that says they never heard it.
If they wanted it, they would have been given the chance, like the Ethiopian eunuch.
He wanted to know God better and Philip showed up at the perfect time.
God could have just let him go back to Ethiopia still wondering, but those who want, are satisfied. (That should be in Psalms !)
They can't. Just like I could not avoid a sin nature being imputed to me from Adam ... yet I am held responsible.
Now, if God wanted to avoid judgement He could cause all those who would not believe salvificly to die in child birth and thus save them (assuming 'age of accountability to be true) ... so, it's not like God's can't save everyone .... or God could have created another Adam that would not eat the forbidden fruit. It's not like God is not in control IMO.

God controls the devil ... see Job.

Isaiah 55:8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD.

Summary of my comments below:
I think we are just looking at it from different angles. You from man's point of view IMO and I from God's point of view (if that is possible to some degree). From man's point of view I think I am in agreement with your points.

Danger is defined as "the possibility of suffering harm or injury." Since God in eternity past predestined the elect to salvation there is NO the possibility of suffering harm or injury ... no danger. I think we have a semantic issue. I think I can see it from your point of view. There is definitely perceived danger from man's point of view.

Please identify to probability of anyone among the elect of going to hell. (God's point of view).
If the probability if 0% then then is NO REAL DANGER. God is truth. God's perspective is truth. God sees no danger in any of the elect going to hell (John 6:39). There is perceived danger on the part of men among the elect.
I am not sure what point you are trying to make by saying the ELECT are in danger.

Well, maybe we are talking about a different danger. I am talking about the danger of going to hell for the elect which there is none from God's perspective. There are other dangers, this I grant. Maybe you are talking about them.

I think we are having a communication problem .... I am getting lost in the details. I am not sure what the main issue is. :chin

God is in all points of time simultaneously (or so they say, I AM, 1,000 yrs is like and day in your sight) ... agreed, from man's perspective "always going to be..." doesn't mean it is so before it's done".

Agreed, from man's point of view.

Agreed, from man's point of view.

Sorry, not trying to give you a hard time. I think we are just looking at it from different angles. You from man's point of view IMO and I from God's point of view (if that is possible to some degree).

Thanks for you patience.
No, I am not speaking from man's POV, because I am speaking from the biblical text, such as "if you live according to the flesh, you shall die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the flesh, you shall live." When he says "if you..." he is speaking to the church in Rome, which consists of Christians. Granted he is speaking from a human POV in this case, yet a truth and warning to be heeded, and therefore dying the second death is a real danger. Again in Gal. he says "whatever a man sows, that he shall also reap." It's the context of life and death, so spiritual death and judgment is a real danger, and a warning to be heeded by the elect, since he is writing to the churches. What you and the OP are teaching is a false sense of security that people aren't in danger when in fact they are, since there are many warnings of it in the NT. Those warnings aren't there to be irrelevant to the elect, but to be relevant.

So here is a warning to you IMO: teaching a false sense of security is deception. But since the elect can't be deceived, they will not believe what you say. If you are getting lost in the details, and unsure what the main issue is, then does it occur to you that you are confused about it, or at least unfamiliar with the details, that is, the scripture?

So you claim that there is 0% possibility of the elect going to "hell" (that is, lake of fire judgment). Yet, you don't know who the elect are, and very possibly don't even know you are the elect. Just because you claim to be elect and can quote scripture doesn't prove anything. The NT tells us how to evaluate ourselves and others to determine if we are the elect, and that is determined by our lifestyle.

The elect live by a lifestyle of repentance from sin and a mind fixed on what Jesus is like and on the power of the Holy Spirit to overcome the world. It's living in respect and fear of God, which includes obedience to God's law regardless of whether they feel like it or not. Therefore, the elect heed the warnings of scripture because they believe those warnings are real and relevant to their lives. When Paul says "whatever a man sows, that shall he also reap," he is giving a clear warning to people not to live sinfully. "Do not let sin reign in your mortal body." It clearly indicates that if a person (who doesn't really know if he is elect) continues to live sinfully (according to the flesh, or carnally), there is 100% possibility (probability) that he will end up in gehenna.

And to be sure that no one knows if he is elect just by a profession of faith in Jesus, Peter exhorts people in the churches to "make sure your calling and election." It doesn't mean make it happen, but it means to become assured of it, because a mere profession of faith and going to church and quoting scripture doesn't prove that one is elect. What proves it is the increase of the virtues in his life and behavior listed in 2 Pet. 1. And there are many other places in the NT that give the same testimony.

So what we both are saying is not a semantical issue. It's a doctrinal issue. And I say that the doctrine you and the OP are teaching here is not only a false sense of security, it is completely irrelevant to the Christian life, by the fact that scripture says nothing of the sort. Just because a person declares himself to be one of the elect doesn't prove anything at all. If such a person takes heed to your doctrine and lets himself go into a lifestyle of sin because he doesn't believe he is in danger of hell-fire, then your doctrine has deceived him, and you will be held accountable for it (see James 3:1). He will be held accountable for letting himself be deceived by a false sense of security, and you will be held accountable for teaching it. Teaching a false sense of security is not love, because it's not truth.

In fact, the same people that Jesus said "your Father in heaven" to, also said "anyone who says 'you fool' will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Mat. 5:22). Go ahead and examine the context, and you should be able to see the truth of what I'm saying. Danger of being thrown in hell is a real danger, since Jesus says that it is. Just because someone claims to be elect doesn't give any security of being out of danger in the least bit. But if someone, even an elect person, believes what you say, the very least that would happen is a weakening of the conscience, because being "out of danger" is a false sense of security, if such a person thinks they are out of danger no matter what (that is, having 0% possibility of getting thrown into hell). Someone who loves God will also take heed to warnings that speak of danger, because the danger is real by nature of the message. Someone who loves God believes that when God says there is danger of being cast into hell, that it is a real danger, and therefore will heed the warning. Someone who doesn't believe that those warnings are real or relevant will not take heed to them.

Therefore, if you can follow my logic based on scripture, you can see that the elect believe the warnings of scripture speak of real danger, whereas those who are not elect believe those warnings are not real and are irrelevant to themselves. Can you see now that what we both are saying is a doctrinal issue, and is contradictory? IMO you and the OP are teaching contrary to what scripture teaches. Therefore, I'm saying that your POV can't possibly be God's POV, because it is unscriptural. The Bible says "we love because He first loved us." So warnings of danger in scripture is real, therefore, God is loving us by warning us of those dangers. And anyone who loves others will give warnings of those dangers, believing that those dangers are real. And I'm suggesting that the elect are not going to believe what you and the OP are teaching here, because the elect can't be deceived.

Last edited:
Hi Tdidymas
Could you confirm for me who the elect are...
My definition of who the elect are is based on scripture. If you read my response to the other poster in the link below, it should give you a good idea how I see it.

Brightfame
The above is the funniest post I've read on this forum.

Know why?
Because it clearly shows the conundrum calvinists are in. It shows how they paint themselves into a corner with no way of escape.
Read what you wrote:

"Even as UNBELIEVERS the elect are not under God's wrath."

IOW, why was it necessary for you to be REGENERATED so that you could then BELIEVE if you were saved anyway...
Even when you didn't believe??
:chin:chin:chin
Its not a funny matter friend, its a matter of valuing the Blood of Christ. What is it that propitiates Gods wrath exactly ?

Had those "billions" wanted to know and serve a god, our God would have been made known to him/her.
Interesting take/assumption. Do you have a scripture to back it up like "in the year 50 A.D. no one in China or Japan wanted to know or serve God". (Google est. pop. of China at 100 million around 50 A.D. ... so 0 in 100 million "wanted to know and serve God ... makes Americans looks VERY GOOD)
It is a HUGE coincidence that a significant portion of those that have never heard the gospel are concentrated in geographical areas. For instance, no person in all North America ever heard the gospel until after Columbus discovered America. It is like the location on the earth determined who had any possibility of, as you say, "want[ing] to know and serve a god".
I think you are gasping at straws to explain empirical data that apparently contradicts your understanding of how God interacts with man (not that we don't all do it).

He loves us and wants all men to come to Him.
Well, there is a sense that God wants all men to come to us, this I grant. God also wishes everyone would not sin in a sense too ... but in another sense God has ensured all will sin. Romans 11:32 For God has consigned everyone to disobedience so that He may have mercy on everyone.
Similar story with God's "love". If God loved (volition to favor) everyone to the point He wished them no harm, He could simply have not allowed anyone he foresaw would not believe to not be allowed to impregnate a woman's egg. Thus, no eternity in hell for anyone and God's love for everyone without exception.
You also, when saying God loves everyone, have a huge problem. How can a Holy (“God is light, and in him is no darkness at all”) love those that are evil, sons of Satan.
Yeah, God loves (favors) everyone to the extent that the rain falls on the good and the bad ... this I grant.

God is outside of time, as a thousand years are like one day to Him.
He can peer into anyone's life at any stage thereof.
Agreed. It's the method by which He is omniscient that is interesting. I say God determines all things (Heb. 1:3) and most others say God in eternity past somehow determined what NOTHING would do (which is irrational as Nothing comes from Nothing)

Thanks for your civil and interesting comments. We don't always agree, but I do appreciate your ability to communicate your ideas. Hopefully (no pun intended), God's glory is reflected back to Him from us as we squabble about how GREAT He is from various view points. I wonder if He gets 'ticked off' by us getting it wrong so often.

No, I am not speaking from man's POV,
What you and the OP are teaching is a false sense of security that people aren't in danger when in fact they are, since there are many warnings of it in the NT.
I guess I don't see where you are coming from. You say that you are not speaking from man's POV and therefore I have to think you are speaking from God's POV. Assuming we are only talking about the danger of 'going to Hell' from God's POV I ask this simple question:
From God's POV, identify what the danger (danger defined as the possibility of suffering harm i.e. go to hell) is there for the Elect (Elect defined as those God knows are in Heaven or Heaven bound)?????

What you and the OP are teaching is a false sense of security that people aren't in danger when in fact they are, since there are many warnings of it in the NT.
Again, from God's point of view there is NO DANGER of going to hell for those destined to go to heaven. (aside: from man's POV I agree with you, but you stated you are speaking from God's POV)
God's POV
Premise 1: All the elect go to heaven
Conclusion: There is no danger of going to hell for the elect

If you are getting lost in the details, and unsure what the main issue is, then does it occur to you that you are confused about it, or at least unfamiliar with the details, that is, the scripture?
Agreed, this is one possibility. I would say we (you or me or both of us) have a communication issue.

So you claim that there is 0% possibility of the elect going to "hell" (that is, lake of fire judgment). Yet, you don't know who the elect are, and very possibly don't even know you are the elect. Just because you claim to be elect and can quote scripture doesn't prove anything. The NT tells us how to evaluate ourselves and others to determine if we are the elect, and that is determined by our lifestyle.
Agreed. Again, when you say "Yet, you [Fastfredy0] don't know who the elect are" you are talking from man's POV, yet you clearly stated as quoted below that:
No, I am not speaking from man's POV
So, you are confusing the discussion by making points that are from man's POV.

I agree with the rest of your post. But again I feel we don't agree on what we mean by God's POV. We tried though. :yes

Thanks for being patient and civil.

Last edited:
I guess I don't see where you are coming from. You say that you are not speaking from man's POV and therefore I have to think you are speaking from God's POV. Assuming we are only talking about the danger of 'going to Hell' from God's POV I ask this simple question:
From God's POV, identify what the danger (danger defined as the possibility of suffering harm i.e. go to hell) is there for the Elect (Elect defined as those God knows are in Heaven or Heaven bound)?????

Again, from God's point of view there is NO DANGER of going to hell for those destined to go to heaven. (aside: from man's POV I agree with you, but you stated you are speaking from God's POV)
God's POV
Premise 1: All the elect go to heaven
Conclusion: There is no danger of going to hell for the elect

Agreed, this is one possibility. I would say we (you or me or both of us) have a communication issue.

Agreed. Again, when you say "Yet, you [Fastfredy0] don't know who the elect are" you are talking from man's POV, yet you clearly stated as quoted below that:

So, you are confusing the discussion by making points that are from man's POV.

I agree with the rest of your post. But again I feel we don't agree on what we mean by God's POV. We tried though. :yes

Thanks for being patient and civil.
What God says to us is what we need to know. IMO for someone to say they are speaking from God's POV is arrogant, because God's thoughts are so much higher than ours. I never said I spoke from God's POV, I only said I was not speaking from man's POV, because what the scripture says and teaches is where I'm coming from. I understand the idea of speaking "from God's POV," that it is a fantasy that someone is imagining themselves sitting in God's seat and looking at the world from that POV. But it is conjecture. And for you to say that I claimed to speak from God's POV because I said it wasn't man's POV is arguing from silence, and a straw man, because it's not only one or the other. There is also the POV from the standpoint of scripture, which is not necessarily man's POV.

What we actually have is God's special revelation to us in the scripture, and it is often contrary to man's POV. It just seems to me that when you say you're speaking from God's POV that you really don't know what you're talking about, and that your idea "from God's POV" is merely your imagination. If that's the case, then you're just speaking from your POV even though you call it God's POV. I do get your logic concerning how you come to the conclusion you come to, but I disagree with it because I believe it to be a false conclusion, based on my knowledge of scripture. If God says that every unregenerate person is in danger of going to hell (and in need of salvation), then I take it the danger is real, not merely someone's imagination.

It seems to me that you are categorizing the unregenerate elect as being completely safe and not in danger of hell, unlike the rest of mankind. Yet, I don't see that in scripture. On the contrary, I see warnings everywhere I read in the NT that everyone, including the elect is in danger of hell while in the unregenerate state, and that the elect start out in life the same as everyone else, in the same spiritual condition and the same danger. The elect only become safe after they hear the gospel and believe. IMO you are taking scripture and combining it with human reasoning to come to a false conclusion.

Finally, the doctrine that you and the OP are teaching is irrelevant to the Christian life, as I have already explained. That doctrine is completely useless to edify anyone according to how the scripture teaches us to live and believe, and there is a high probability that it would hinder people from entering the kingdom of heaven (ref. Luke 11:52). It makes me wonder if you are looking for some kind of loophole so that you yourself can feel better about your situation, or soothe a guilty conscience. Why else would you go against what scripture clearly states?

God isn't playing games with words. So when He says things such as I quoted before, we can count on it being real and that it applies to us. And since none of the unregenerate can possibly know if they are elect, the doctrine you are teaching is completely irrelevant to them. And since very few, if any, of the elect who first believe (possibly for some months, if not years) know if they are elect, it is completely irrelevant to them. In fact, if a new believer gets wind of your doctrine and starts to believe it, it is more likely that person would backslide because such a person gets a false sense of security.

Where then is their conscience, if they start to become insensitive to the Spirit's correction? Will they not then justify themselves in their false security, saying "I'm safe," when in fact they are in real danger? Ref. Amos 6:1 "Woe to those who are carefree in Zion, and to those who feel secure on the mountain of Samaria..." Wouldn't they be in danger of this verse (or others like it) applying to them? I have seen many people smug in their sinfulness, because they had a false sense of security, saying to themselves "I'm safe now." The apostle Paul has a phrase for someone fixed in their false sense of security - a seared conscience, as it were with a hot iron.

What did Paul say to the Corinthians who had a false sense of security saying "all things are lawful"? He replied "but not all things are profitable." This is right after he uses the children of Israel as an example of who got destroyed in the desert (1 Cor. 10). And just as he wrote to the Romans "if you live according to the flesh you shall die," it is clear warning that the danger of judgment is real. And the only way a person can know they are the elect is if they are led by the Spirit. And if a person is led by the Spirit, then what use is it for them to be told they were never in danger of hell? It's totally useless, and is therefore bad doctrine.

To say that the elect is never in danger of hell is to say that the gospel message stating that if a person doesn't believe in Christ (and obey Him), that there is danger of hell, then that part of the gospel message, being irrelevant to the elect, is a big fat lie in reference to the elect. That in regard to the elect, God winks at the warnings because He wants them to believe they are never in danger. Nonsense!

If I say that I am among the elect, because I assess myself according to what I think the scripture teaches, and I have a feeling of security, saying to myself, "I am among the elect, and therefore safe, and have a 0% possibility of being cast into hell," can God reverse that? He is sovereign, and most certainly He can reverse that feeling. Thus Paul's warning "you have not been given a spirit of slavery, leading to fear again..." If I make myself a slave of sin again, will I not lose all sense of God's blessing and approval? Will I not then (according to my conscience) consider myself not among the elect, because I no longer have a feeling of security? Will the Holy Spirit pat me on the head and say to me "you're secure" - I think not. I think He will make me the most miserable person on earth.

If I say to myself "I'm secure, and have 0% possibility of going to hell" who is to say that my security is not false? Who is to say that God will not surprise me in the day of judgment by saying "depart from Me you worker of iniquity"? Just because I do religious things and think myself righteous, and claim that I obey God in all things, doesn't assure that I am one of the elect. Paul considered himself one of the elect, and yet he said "in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead," which implies that he does not consider himself so secure as to claim 0% possibility of being thrown into hell.

My point is that we gain security by what the scripture says (and following it), not by conjectures that the elect have no possibility of being cast into hell. God can reverse anyone's belief that they are among the elect, and thereby prove that they are not elect. Can He do that? He certainly can!!

What God says to us is what we need to know. IMO for someone to say they are speaking from God's POV is arrogant, because God's thoughts are so much higher than ours. I never said I spoke from God's POV, I only said I was not speaking from man's POV, because what the scripture says and teaches is where I'm coming from. I understand the idea of speaking "from God's POV," that it is a fantasy that someone is imagining themselves sitting in God's seat and looking at the world from that POV. But it is conjecture. And for you to say that I claimed to speak from God's POV because I said it wasn't man's POV is arguing from silence, and a straw man, because it's not only one or the other. There is also the POV from the standpoint of scripture, which is not necessarily man's POV.
You have proven you don't understand what I am saying or
I am not able to communicate well
or both
... so not much point responding.
...from my POV you love God...so I will leave it at that.

Its not a funny matter friend, its a matter of valuing the Blood of Christ. What is it that propitiates Gods wrath exactly ?
Why do you never answer my questions?
Here it is again:
If a person is ALWAYS SAVED,,,according to your posts,
then WHY IS IT NECESSARY to regenerate a person in order to save them by giving them faith?

And...

If a person is always saved...why was it necessary for Jesus to die on the cross?
Why is propitiation even necessary if God already knows whom He wishes to save and whom He wishes to pass over?

Propitiation is only necessary if WE have an individual part in our salvation by ACCEPTING the act of propitiation.

Please answer the above...and then I'll reply to your question as to what it is that God accepts as propitiation.
Thanks.

Well, that's why I put IMO as I acknowledge I could be wrong. My apologies for anytime I have misrepresented you. Please correct me when I do so. It is never my intention to do so.
Aside: It is difficult to address your ideas in a post without stating what I believe them to be ... I use IMO to identify the statement is mine and not necessarily yours so others can know I could be wrong.

Tell me where I erred:
Our contention IMO is when does one become God's sheep.

You say IMO we change into sheep from goats when we are converted. I said this as a conclusion of your statement: "I think that answers the question that no one who walks in unbelief can be His sheep." Since, before one is converted you said one can be a sheep, that leaves only goats". Granted, you never said this directly, but it seems a logical conclusion.

You say IMO Christ died the goats that may someday become sheep. You said that no one who walks in unbelief can be His sheep. Since, before one is converted you said one cannot be a sheep, that leaves only goats". Granted, you never said this directly, but it seems a logical conclusion.

You say IMO that God died in vain for billions of goats. Faith from hearing and billions of people never hear the gospel which is a prerequisite for salvation. We've have previous discussions in which you said God died for everyone it seems logical to conclude that God died for goats and since goats don't go to heaven and if Christ died everyone including those He knew would not have faith, He died for nothing. Correct me if I am wrong.
You have misrepresented everything I have said in this thread as this post is very confusing as you make it sound like I am saying things I never said like you did in post #93.

Here is the nutshell. We have all fallen short of the glory of the Lord making us goats at one time. God draws us to Him by the hearing of His word. Jesus is God's plan of salvation before the foundation of the world. Whosoever will believe in Him and accept Him as Lord and Savior, by confessing with their mouth and believing in their heart that Jesus truly is the Son of God who laid His own life down that we can be forgiven of our sin and have life eternal with Him as there with confession we become His sheep, no longer being the goat, as we hear and answer His call to salvation by that of the Spiritual rebirth from above as we are baptized with the baptism of Christ and indwelled with the Holy Spirit.

The children of wrath are those who reject Jesus and continue to walk in unbelief as they will face God's judgement and have condemned themselves not having their names written in the Lamb's book of life. I did not attach any scripture to this post as all through this thread I have already given them.

IMO for someone to say they are speaking from God's POV is arrogant, because God's thoughts are so much higher than ours.
Aside:
Christians have been hindered in their spiritual progress by an erroneous understanding and outrageous application of Isaiah 55:8-9: "'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,neither are your ways my ways,' declares the LORD. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.'"
It is said that this means man can never think or understand God's thoughts. But if this is true, then no one can understand Isaiah 55:8-9! It is because our thoughts do not correspond to God's thoughts that we need to renew our thinking to match his thinking. Since our thoughts are not his thoughts, we must read the Scripture to know God's thoughts, so that we may change our minds, and conform our thinking to his thinking. V. Cheung
Thus, to a very limited degree I know God thoughts. When God tells me He knows all things I know the God knows who are the elect. It is not arrogance, but God's condescension for create special revelation and the Spirit's teaching that enable me to know a few of God's thoughts.

Once we accept a false view of God's POV (not the entirety of it), the rest of the system cannot be Christian.

Last edited:
You have misrepresented everything I have said in this thread as this post is very confusing as you make it sound like I am saying things I never said like you did in post #93.

Here is the nutshell. We have all fallen short of the glory of the Lord making us goats at one time. God draws us to Him by the hearing of His word. Jesus is God's plan of salvation before the foundation of the world. Whosoever will believe in Him and accept Him as Lord and Savior, by confessing with their mouth and believing in their heart that Jesus truly is the Son of God who laid His own life down that we can be forgiven of our sin and have life eternal with Him as there with confession we become His sheep, no longer being the goat, as we hear and answer His call to salvation by that of the Spiritual rebirth from above as we are baptized with the baptism of Christ and indwelled with the Holy Spirit.
I still don't see any of my IMO are misrepresentations of your opinion. Show me which IMO is wrong.
  • You say IMO we change into sheep from goats when we are converted.
  • You say IMO Christ died the goats that may someday become sheep.
  • You say IMO that God died in vain for billions of goats. Granted, you did not use the words IN VAIN ... so tell me the purpose of Christ dying on the cross for those He knew would never believe? Possibly because Christ loved them so much that He wanted additional hot coals to be placed on their heads in hell because they even heard the gospel and yet rejected it, their sin being all the greater? Why did Christ die for the goats???
Again, though this be not an important doctrine ... I contend the elect were always God's sheep... that even in the world of analogies sheep don't turn into goats. God does not say of the elect that have yet to be converted ... of my goats I will not lose one of them.

No, I am not speaking from man's POV, because I am speaking from the biblical text, such as "if you live according to the flesh, you shall die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the flesh, you shall live." When he says "if you..." he is speaking to the church in Rome, which consists of Christians. Granted he is speaking from a human POV in this case, yet a truth and warning to be heeded, and therefore dying the second death is a real danger. Again in Gal. he says "whatever a man sows, that he shall also reap." It's the context of life and death, so spiritual death and judgment is a real danger, and a warning to be heeded by the elect, since he is writing to the churches. What you and the OP are teaching is a false sense of security that people aren't in danger when in fact they are, since there are many warnings of it in the NT. Those warnings aren't there to be irrelevant to the elect, but to be relevant.

Hi Tdidymas,
Your link brought me here.

Paul said IF many times, which means that we have a choice to make between as to following the flesh or the spirit. This is true even of believers who can always go back to their old ways if they so choose. He also gave many warnings.

I LOVE your idea of OSAS being a false sense of security...I have also said this many times, which is why it is one of the most important ideas to understand about our Christianity.

I had asked you what you mean by the elect because it's a term used by the reformed, but you don't sound like one to me.
To me, and to all of Christian denominations EXCEPT the reformed,,,the elect simply means the chosen ones. The chosen ones are chosen because they wish to follow the conditions God has set on being saved. It is the person's choice as to whether or not he cares to accept the gift of salvation offered by God to all of humanity.
1 Timothy 2:4 God desires all to be saved. (but not all wish to be saved).
John 3:16 Whoever believes in Jesus will be saved.

So here is a warning to you IMO: teaching a false sense of security is deception. But since the elect can't be deceived, they will not believe what you say. If you are getting lost in the details, and unsure what the main issue is, then does it occur to you that you are confused about it, or at least unfamiliar with the details, that is, the scripture?

Agreed.

The elect live by a lifestyle of repentance from sin and a mind fixed on what Jesus is like and on the power of the Holy Spirit to overcome the world. It's living in respect and fear of God, which includes obedience to God's law regardless of whether they feel like it or not. Therefore, the elect heed the warnings of scripture because they believe those warnings are real and relevant to their lives. When Paul says "whatever a man sows, that shall he also reap," he is giving a clear warning to people not to live sinfully. "Do not let sin reign in your mortal body." It clearly indicates that if a person (who doesn't really know if he is elect) continues to live sinfully (according to the flesh, or carnally), there is 100% possibility (probability) that he will end up in gehenna.

And to be sure that no one knows if he is elect just by a profession of faith in Jesus, Peter exhorts people in the churches to "make sure your calling and election." It doesn't mean make it happen, but it means to become assured of it, because a mere profession of faith and going to church and quoting scripture doesn't prove that one is elect. What proves it is the increase of the virtues in his life and behavior listed in 2 Pet. 1. And there are many other places in the NT that give the same testimony.

:thumbsup
So what we both are saying is not a semantical issue. It's a doctrinal issue. And I say that the doctrine you and the OP are teaching here is not only a false sense of security, it is completely irrelevant to the Christian life, by the fact that scripture says nothing of the sort. Just because a person declares himself to be one of the elect doesn't prove anything at all. If such a person takes heed to your doctrine and lets himself go into a lifestyle of sin because he doesn't believe he is in danger of hell-fire, then your doctrine has deceived him, and you will be held accountable for it (see James 3:1). He will be held accountable for letting himself be deceived by a false sense of security, and you will be held accountable for teaching it. Teaching a false sense of security is not love, because it's not truth.

Agreed!
So right about James 3.1

In fact, the same people that Jesus said "your Father in heaven" to, also said "anyone who says 'you fool' will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Mat. 5:22). Go ahead and examine the context, and you should be able to see the truth of what I'm saying. Danger of being thrown in hell is a real danger, since Jesus says that it is. Just because someone claims to be elect doesn't give any security of being out of danger in the least bit. But if someone, even an elect person, believes what you say, the very least that would happen is a weakening of the conscience, because being "out of danger" is a false sense of security, if such a person thinks they are out of danger no matter what (that is, having 0% possibility of getting thrown into hell). Someone who loves God will also take heed to warnings that speak of danger, because the danger is real by nature of the message. Someone who loves God believes that when God says there is danger of being cast into hell, that it is a real danger, and therefore will heed the warning. Someone who doesn't believe that those warnings are real or relevant will not take heed to them.

Therefore, if you can follow my logic based on scripture, you can see that the elect believe the warnings of scripture speak of real danger, whereas those who are not elect believe those warnings are not real and are irrelevant to themselves. Can you see now that what we both are saying is a doctrinal issue, and is contradictory? IMO you and the OP are teaching contrary to what scripture teaches. Therefore, I'm saying that your POV can't possibly be God's POV, because it is unscriptural. The Bible says "we love because He first loved us." So warnings of danger in scripture is real, therefore, God is loving us by warning us of those dangers. And anyone who loves others will give warnings of those dangers, believing that those dangers are real. And I'm suggesting that the elect are not going to believe what you and the OP are teaching here, because the elect can't be deceived.
Matthew 24:24 came to mind...but it's not in context to the above.
It speaks of false prophets doing great miracles that even the elect could be deceived.
However, I don't see any great miracles these days.
I do, however, believe the elect could be deceived because I see the deception if the reformed faith.
I also believe the O.P. is making rather arrogant statements since the reformed person will not know until
the end of their life whether or not they are saved because it is possible for God to take away that salvation at
any time He so chooses. A worry not shared by those that choose God for salvation of their own free will.

Besides this there is a special call which, for the most part, God bestows on believers only, when by the internal illumination of the Spirit he causes the word preached to take deep root in their hearts.
Sometimes, however, he communicates it also to those whom he enlightens only for a time, and whom afterwards,
in just punishment for their ingratitude, he abandons and smites with greater blindness.

Institutes of the Christian Religion, John Calvin
Book 3 Chapter 24 Paragraph 8

I still don't see any of my IMO are misrepresentations of your opinion. Show me which IMO is wrong.
  • You say IMO that God died in vain for billions of goats. Granted, you did not use the words IN VAIN ... so tell me the purpose of Christ dying on the cross for those He knew would never believe? Possibly because Christ loved them so much that He wanted additional hot coals to be placed on their heads in hell because they even heard the gospel and yet rejected it, their sin being all the greater? Why did Christ die for the goats???
Again, though this be not an important doctrine ... I contend the elect were always God's sheep... that even in the world of analogies sheep don't turn into goats. God does not say of the elect that have yet to be converted ... of my goats I will not lose one of them.
In John 10, where Jesus speaks of the sheep and how they hear His voice,
could you point out one verse that explains HOW or WHY those sheep hear His voice?
If you don't care to respond to me...could you post a general post?
Thanks.

Why do you never answer my questions?
Here it is again:
If a person is ALWAYS SAVED,,,according to your posts,
then WHY IS IT NECESSARY to regenerate a person in order to save them by giving them faith?

And...

If a person is always saved...why was it necessary for Jesus to die on the cross?
Why is propitiation even necessary if God already knows whom He wishes to save and whom He wishes to pass over?

Propitiation is only necessary if WE have an individual part in our salvation by ACCEPTING the act of propitiation.

Please answer the above...and then I'll reply to your question as to what it is that God accepts as propitiation.
Thanks.
What is it that propitiates Gods wrath exactly ?

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
Eph 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
Eph 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
Eph 1:8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
Eph 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
Eph 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

The reason I give these scriptures is to show that what God predestined before the foundation of the world was His plan in creating man/woman to be holy and without blame before Him in love. God also predestined the plan of salvation through Christ Jesus before the foundation of the world. Did God know that man/woman would fall away from His glory even though He created them to be holy and blameless? I would have to say yes because of the fall of Satan before man/woman were created, that caused Satan as a roaring lion to seek and devour what God planned to be holy and blameless before Him. God predestined the man/woman to be holy and blameless before Him in love, but yet at the same time predestined the plan of salvation through Christ Jesus that man/woman can be redeemed from their sin and turn back to Him. Unfortunately not everyone will return back to Him as they walk in unbelief. If one does not believe, then one is none of His own.

The Bible says that Jesus died for all; therefore, Jesus died for all. God so loved the world, not just the Christian, that He died for everyone and it is up to the person to accept or reject Jesus. If he rejects Jesus, then the atonement is not applied to the person and he will go to hell. But, Jesus' sacrifice was not only sufficient for all, but intended for all.

Jesus died for everyone:
John 1:29, "The next day he saw Jesus coming to him, and said, 'Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!'"
John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life."
John 4:42, "and they were saying to the woman, 'It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves and know that this One is indeed the Savior of the world.'"
1 Tim. 4:10, "For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers."
1 John 2:2, "and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world."
1 John 4:14, "And we have beheld and bear witness that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world."

Please show me where I said that God died in vain for billions of goats. Sorry, now you say I did not use the words in vain. Is what I am saying so confusing you can not follow it all, but only twisting to what I have said. Please read my post # 120 in response to your question

Back