Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians are to follow Jesus' steps 1 Pet 2:21, how?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Not at all, God was still in heaven and spoke at Jesus' baptism. Jesus himself stated God was a spirit. As the Bible said, God was with us in the fact that He sent His son to die in our behalf Jn 3:16
Hi Highway54

I've always considered that the 'God is with us' more along the Lord's prayer that we all be one as he and the Father are one. It is through the living Spirit of God in us that makes all of us like God. Jesus was the first person to reflect the full love and care of God to us, and that was because he was the first person fully imbued with God's Spirit, given him as he stood in the middle of the Jordan River. And in that manner, 'God is with us'.

Similarly, the passage in Isiah that declares "He will be called the mighty God". That doesn't actually say that he will be the mighty God. It's a prophecy of how we're going to know when Messiah comes. People will be saying that he's the mighty God. Sure enough, there are a few references where 'he is called God, or the mighty God. So, understanding that prophecy, there's only one person who has ever lived that people referred to him as God. I'd say the prophecy was spot on. Not only that, for any reasonable person ought to be able to read those prophetic words and know without doubt or question, "Jesus is the Christ of the living God!"

As I say, this is an issue that is beyond my feeble mind to really know that I know that "Jesus is God", is a true statement. So I'm for acknowledging my lack of complete understanding of the matter, and sticking with how God and Jesus represented themselves, both to us and to each other. I'm good with that. Jesus is the faithful and true Servant and Son of the living God. He was the first to die (of course we know that he really didn't die, well, because...God can't die) We also know that it then isn't true that he is the firstborn from the dead, well...because God can't be 'dead'.

So, I'm good with Jesus is God's Son, because then everything else told about him can be true.

God bless,
Ted

Not at all, God was still in heaven and spoke at Jesus' baptism. Jesus himself stated God was a spirit. As the Bible said, God was with us in the fact that He sent His son to die in our behalf Jn 3:16
Ah, so you think God is confined to one geographical location?

No maam, the Bible does not say that. Some versions of the Bible does. Best listen to the teachings of Jesus in who God is.
Yes, it must certainly days that. The JW version eliminates those words but the originals say that Jesus was with God and was God.

Hi Highway54

I've always considered that the 'God is with us' more along the Lord's prayer that we all be one as he and the Father are one. It is through the living Spirit of God in us that makes all of us like God. Jesus was the first person to reflect the full love and care of God to us, and that was because he was the first person fully imbued with God's Spirit, given him as he stood in the middle of the Jordan River. And in that manner, 'God is with us'.

Similarly, the passage in Isiah that declares "He will be called the mighty God". That doesn't actually say that he will be the mighty God. It's a prophecy of how we're going to know when Messiah comes. People will be saying that he's the mighty God. Sure enough, there are a few references where 'he is called God, or the mighty God. So, understanding that prophecy, there's only one person who has ever lived that people referred to him as God. I'd say the prophecy was spot on. Not only that, for any reasonable person ought to be able to read those prophetic words and know without doubt or question, "Jesus is the Christ of the living God!"

As I say, this is an issue that is beyond my feeble mind to really know that I know that "Jesus is God", is a true statement. So I'm for acknowledging my lack of complete understanding of the matter, and sticking with how God and Jesus represented themselves, both to us and to each other. I'm good with that. Jesus is the faithful and true Servant and Son of the living God. He was the first to die (of course we know that he really didn't die, well, because...God can't die) We also know that it then isn't true that he is the firstborn from the dead, well...because God can't be 'dead'.

So, I'm good with Jesus is God's Son, because then everything else told about him can be true.

God bless,
Ted
Yes sir Ted, we can take confidence that everything told about him in the Bible is true for sure. Adam was his equal, in fact the reason why God had to send His firstborn spirit son, to redeem what His firstborn human son had lost for his offspring. No imperfect human was equal to the loss of the sin Adam did.

Ah, so you think God is confined to one geographical location?
The Bible states this maam: (1 Kings 8:43) . . .may you then listen from the heavens, your dwelling place. . .
That is what I believe.
Jesus in his prayer instruction taught us to pray to our Father who resided in heaven Mat 6:9 Perhaps you prefer the version that says who art in heaven

Yes, it must certainly days that. The JW version eliminates those words but the originals say that Jesus was with God and was God.
No maam, in fact your preferred version inconsistently rendered theos/theon a god at Acts 28:6 but God in John 1:1. So it was deliberately translated that way for an agenda, not out of ignorance. Theos without a definite article like the God in the same verse that had ho in front of Theos, thus properly rendering it God. Your version altered it not ours.

No maam, in fact your preferred version inconsistently rendered theos/theon a god at Acts 28:6 but God in John 1:1.
1. You don’t know my preferred version and 2) Only JWs decided there is more than one God. It was always was God, never a(nother) Gid which makes JWs polytheists in any case.
So it was deliberately translated that way for an agenda, not out of ignorance.
No, the deliberate change came when the NWT came out.
Theos without a definite article like the God in the same verse that had ho in front of Theos, thus properly rendering it God. Your version altered it not ours.
Untrue as no Jew would ever write that there are at least TWO Gods…never ever. You’re believing propaganda.

Yes sir Ted, we can take confidence that everything told about him in the Bible is true for sure. Adam was his equal, in fact the reason why God had to send His firstborn spirit son, to redeem what His firstborn human son had lost for his offspring. No imperfect human was equal to the loss of the sin Adam did.
Adam was created not born

The Bible states this maam: (1 Kings 8:43) . . .may you then listen from the heavens, your dwelling place. . .
That is what I believe.

Do you have a dwelling place? Are you confined to that place? God is spirit. Spirit isn’t confined as physical bodies are in any case.
Jesus in his prayer instruction taught us to pray to our Father who resided in heaven Mat 6:9
He didn’t mention he’s entrapped there. Besides do you know where the Kingdom of Heaven/ God is?
Perhaps you prefer the version that says who art in heaven
You haven’t a clue as to what I prefer. Please don’t assume you do. Thanks

1 Peter 2:19-23
19 For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.
20 For what glory is it, if, when you are buffeted for your faults, you take it patiently? But if, when you do well, and suffer for it, you endure it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
21 For even hereunto were you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow his steps:
22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judges righteously:

So, in context, Peter is talking particularly about following Jesus' steps in regards to patient suffering as a consequence of well-doing. We follow his steps, doing as Jesus did when he suffered for doing what was right, by acting in the manner Peter described of Jesus' conduct. The key, though, is to do so in love, holiness and submission to God. Apart from these things, the disciple of Christ suffers uselessly for doing what is right. See 1 Corinthians 13:1-3, James 4:6-10, 1 Peter 3:10-12.
We are not to only follow Jesus Christ closely, only in this context. We are to follow Jesus Christ footsteps closely in regard to his entire life. Jesus is the example we are to follow how we are to live our lives. We as individuals are to follow his pattern of life as closely as possible.

We are not to only follow Jesus Christ closely, only in this context. We are to follow Jesus Christ footsteps closely in regard to his entire life.

Oh? His entire life, eh? That's going to be a problem since I can't create a universe, or die for the sins of all mankind, or am a deity who has no beginning nor end. I am not perfect, either, or a member of the Trinity. And so on.

Anyway, I never said in any of my posts in this thread that Christians are to follow Christ's example ONLY in regards to suffering unjust treatment. I was speaking only of the context and intent of Peter's words in his first epistle, not asserting the sort of restriction on following Christ's example that you're implying here that I did.

Oh? His entire life, eh? That's going to be a problem since I can't create a universe, or die for the sins of all mankind, or am a deity who has no beginning nor end. I am not perfect, either, or a member of the Trinity. And so on.

Anyway, I never said in any of my posts in this thread that Christians are to follow Christ's example ONLY in regards to suffering unjust treatment. I was speaking only of the context and intent of Peter's words in his first epistle, not asserting the sort of restriction on following Christ's example that you're implying here that I did.
We have the history of how Jesus lived his human life, how he treated people, how he loved people. How he put God's work first and foremost in his life.

Christians are to follow Jesus' steps 1 Pet 2:21, how?

The Gospels are the best way to come to know Jesus. They contain a historical account of the life and ministry of Jesus. They show us what he did, said, felt, and taught his followers. In effect, they contain those footsteps we are to follow.

To benefit fully from the Gospels, we must do more than just read them. We need to study them carefully and meditate on them as well. When studying them bring them to life, picture yourself among his disciples as he taught them, and observe the assignments he gave them. Imitate his footsteps in your life. Use your imagination to see, hear, and feel what was happening.
We are to follow Jesus Christ footsteps closely. Jesus knew that being his follower would be challenging, a course calling for endurance. (John 15:20) He was prepared to lead the way, knowing that his example would strengthen others. (John 16:33) Granted, Jesus set the perfect example of endurance, but we are far from perfect. What does YHWH God expect of us? Peter explains: “Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely.” (1 Peter 2:21) In the way he dealt with trials, Jesus left “a model,” a pattern to be copied. The record of endurance that he built up may be compared to “steps,” or footprints. We cannot follow those steps perfectly, but we can follow them “closely.”

Today, the good news of the Kingdom is being preached in many lands, as Jesus prophesied it would be. (Matthew 24:14) As a result, millions of people have dedicated their life to God. They are excited about the blessings that the Kingdom will bring. They look forward to living forever in peace and security on a paradise earth, and they joyfully tell others about their hope. (Psalm 37:11; 2 Peter 3:13)

The apostle Peter wrote: “Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely.” (1 Peter 2:21) Note that in this instance, Peter mentioned, not Jesus’ zeal in preaching or his skill in teaching, but his suffering. As an eyewitness, Peter was well-aware of the extent to which Jesus was willing to suffer in order to submit to YHWH God sovereignty and prove Satan to be the liar that he is. In what ways, then, can we follow Jesus’ steps? We must ask ourselves: ‘To what extent am I willing to suffer in order to support and honor YHWH God sovereignty? Do I show by the way I live my life and carry out my ministry that upholding YHWH God sovereignty is my foremost concern?’(Colossians 3:17)

Every day, we are confronted with trials and decisions, large and small. What should be the determining factor in our response? For example, when we are face-to-face with temptation to do something that would jeopardize our Christian standing, how do we react? When Peter told Jesus to be kind to himself, what was Jesus’ reaction? Jesus said to Peter “Get behind me, Satan!” Jesus exclaimed. “You think, not God’s thoughts, but those of men.” (Matthew 16:21-23) Or when we are offered opportunities for financial or career advancement at the cost of our spiritual welfare, do we react as Jesus did? When Jesus sensed that those who saw his miracles “were about to come and seize him to make him king,” he quickly withdrew from them.(John 6:15)

Why did Jesus react so strongly on these and other occasions? Because he saw clearly that more than his personal safety or advantage was involved. He wanted to do his Father’s will and uphold YHWH God sovereignty at all costs. (Matthew 26:50-54) So, if we do not have the real issue clearly in mind at all times, as Jesus did, there is always the danger of compromise or failure. Why so? Because we can easily fall prey to the machinations of Satan, who is a master in making what is wrong appear desirable, as he did when tempting Eve.(2 Corinthians 11:14; 1 Timothy 2:14)

In our ministry, we should endeavor to speak to people regarding their concerns and to show them the Bible’s answers. This is an effective way to arouse their interest in studying the Bible. Ultimately, however, our goal is not just to help people to know what the Bible says or what blessings God’s Kingdom will bring. We must help them to come to grips with the real issue. Are they willing to become true Christians and pick up their “torture stake” and suffer for the sake of the Kingdom? (Mark 8:34) Are they ready to join the ranks of those who are for YHWH God sovereignty and so prove Satan a liar and a slanderer? (Proverbs 27:11) It is our privilege to help ourselves and others to do so.(1 Timothy 4:16)

Hi BB1956

Good teaching! But who lives in Thomaston GA? for crying out loud. There's only one stop light! LOL! I'm glad since they put in that bypass a few years ago. Slowing down for those railroad tracks downtown was murder for cars.

God bless,
Ted

Hi BB1956

Good teaching! But who lives in Thomaston GA? for crying out loud. There's only one stop light! LOL! I'm glad since they put in that bypass a few years ago. Slowing down for those railroad tracks downtown was murder for cars.

God bless,
Ted
Hey I like Thomaston Georgia, I was born in Thomaston Georgia.

Hey I like Thomaston Georgia, I was born in Thomaston Georgia.
Yea! I'm in Anderson SC and often drive to Florida and go route 17 through....wait for it...Oooops. It's Thomson GA that I go through. Never mind! Carry on.

God bless,
Ted

We are to follow Jesus Christ footsteps closely. Jesus knew that being his follower would be challenging, a course calling for endurance. (John 15:20) He was prepared to lead the way, knowing that his example would strengthen others. (John 16:33) Granted, Jesus set the perfect example of endurance, but we are far from perfect. What does YHWH God expect of us? Peter explains: “Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely.” (1 Peter 2:21) In the way he dealt with trials, Jesus left “a model,” a pattern to be copied. The record of endurance that he built up may be compared to “steps,” or footprints. We cannot follow those steps perfectly, but we can follow them “closely.”

Today, the good news of the Kingdom is being preached in many lands, as Jesus prophesied it would be. (Matthew 24:14) As a result, millions of people have dedicated their life to God. They are excited about the blessings that the Kingdom will bring. They look forward to living forever in peace and security on a paradise earth, and they joyfully tell others about their hope. (Psalm 37:11; 2 Peter 3:13)

The apostle Peter wrote: “Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely.” (1 Peter 2:21) Note that in this instance, Peter mentioned, not Jesus’ zeal in preaching or his skill in teaching, but his suffering. As an eyewitness, Peter was well-aware of the extent to which Jesus was willing to suffer in order to submit to YHWH God sovereignty and prove Satan to be the liar that he is. In what ways, then, can we follow Jesus’ steps? We must ask ourselves: ‘To what extent am I willing to suffer in order to support and honor YHWH God sovereignty? Do I show by the way I live my life and carry out my ministry that upholding YHWH God sovereignty is my foremost concern?’(Colossians 3:17)

Every day, we are confronted with trials and decisions, large and small. What should be the determining factor in our response? For example, when we are face-to-face with temptation to do something that would jeopardize our Christian standing, how do we react? When Peter told Jesus to be kind to himself, what was Jesus’ reaction? Jesus said to Peter “Get behind me, Satan!” Jesus exclaimed. “You think, not God’s thoughts, but those of men.” (Matthew 16:21-23) Or when we are offered opportunities for financial or career advancement at the cost of our spiritual welfare, do we react as Jesus did? When Jesus sensed that those who saw his miracles “were about to come and seize him to make him king,” he quickly withdrew from them.(John 6:15)

Why did Jesus react so strongly on these and other occasions? Because he saw clearly that more than his personal safety or advantage was involved. He wanted to do his Father’s will and uphold YHWH God sovereignty at all costs. (Matthew 26:50-54) So, if we do not have the real issue clearly in mind at all times, as Jesus did, there is always the danger of compromise or failure. Why so? Because we can easily fall prey to the machinations of Satan, who is a master in making what is wrong appear desirable, as he did when tempting Eve.(2 Corinthians 11:14; 1 Timothy 2:14)

In our ministry, we should endeavor to speak to people regarding their concerns and to show them the Bible’s answers. This is an effective way to arouse their interest in studying the Bible. Ultimately, however, our goal is not just to help people to know what the Bible says or what blessings God’s Kingdom will bring. We must help them to come to grips with the real issue. Are they willing to become true Christians and pick up their “torture stake” and suffer for the sake of the Kingdom? (Mark 8:34) Are they ready to join the ranks of those who are for YHWH God sovereignty and so prove Satan a liar and a slanderer? (Proverbs 27:11) It is our privilege to help ourselves and others to do so.(1 Timothy 4:16)
You said it better than I could for sure BB1956. Great response. You remind me of a poster on Craigslist, do you by any chance post on that as well?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back