Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Christians? Using self-defense and Guns?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
LOL! You're right. I forgot to provide the scripture! Sorry, here it is.

"For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience." (Romans 13:3-4, ESV)

Ephesians 6:17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword the of Spirit, which is the word of God

Ephesians 6:17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword the of Spirit, which is the word of God
Yes, that is a great verse and that section of scripture (armor of God) is actually the main theme of a newly founded ministry I am now part of! Very exciting!

But you asked me for the scripture that supported my earlier post, which I provided when you reminded me I forgot to put it in. The one I posted applies to the situation you questioned me about, as also does this one in Ephesians. But Ephesians really applies in a more indirect way. The sword in context of the Romans passage isn't the "sword of the spirit", it is an instrument of enforcement or punishment given to the governing authorities ("rulers", in the first part of verse 3) of which I was an agent. Ephesians 6:17 is talking about spiritual warfare against the devil, not always about a physical confrontation between two people. This does apply in part if the actions of the other person were being controlled by the devil, which in my situation I believe at least partly they were due to his drunkenness, which I believe along with other things was letting Satan control him to a point. A lot of this came out in conversations I had with him later on after he was sober and calmed down.

If more people and business owners were armed, the criminals would think twice about robbing, killing and raping.

If someone was raping your child, wife or mother - you would just stand there? Survival skills would kick in and I would find whatever I could find (if I had a gun I would use it), to fight off the rapist or murderer or robber. If that person was killed in the chaos, it'd be his/her fault.

God entrusted our loved ones to us, especially children, by not protecting them, it'd be a sin.

God entrusted our loved ones to us, especially children, by not protecting them, it'd be a sin.

Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my disciple.

If you are willing to put anyone above God and his purpose, you cannot be his.

1Ti 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel

In my mind this verse includes safty

Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my disciple.

If you are willing to put anyone above God and his purpose, you cannot be his.
Stopping a would be rapist and murderer is not putting anyone above God, it's simply stopping someone from raping/murdering another.

Can you stand by and watch your son, daughter, mother and father being raped or killed and do nothing?

1Ti 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel

In my mind this verse includes safty
That is excellent, reba.

I think people who would avoid fighting off a would be rapist/murder/robber who is intent on evil, is self-righteous.

Stopping a would be rapist and murderer is not putting anyone above God, it's simply stopping someone from raping/murdering another.

Can you stand by and watch your son, daughter, mother and father being raped or killed and do nothing?

You can stop a murder or rape without violence.

You are taking someone else's child away from them, what makes anyone better than the next person?
Because it's not your child. If you can stand by and watch your child be killed and not do anything, then I believe there is something wrong with you. No offense, it's just strange.

This whole thread got started because of the current events happening. Guns killing people.....I also lump the military into it, because they use guns for "peace"

So you think our military should get rid of their guns?

You think the police should get rid of their guns?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back