Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Church of Christ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
My neighbor (a local CoC Youth Pastor) says they have changed a lot. If so, you might not be turned off.

Be careful, some (as has been illuminated in another thread) are actually thinly disguised Mormon churches.

We seek and the Holy Spirit will confirm where we need to be even for a time or season. Nothing wrong with checking it out.

We seek and the Holy Spirit will confirm where we need to be even for a time or season. Nothing wrong with checking it out.

They don't believe in that Holy Spirit stuff, in the CoC.

They teach and believe that a person is born again and Baptized in the Holy Spirit, when they are Baptized in water.

JLB

Jethro Bodine chew the meat and spit the bones
index.php
But Granny, you know I always eats the bones. Ellie Mae's critters will git 'em if I don't git 'em firstest.

(Don't worry, I know what your're saying. :wink)

Last edited:
These are good points.

OSAS: don't really care as long as they don't press me to be that, too. (Besides, I'll set 'em straight, lol).

Preterism: As long as it's not what every sermon is about I'll be fine. Since I don't know that much about it anyway it will be interesting to learn more.

Gifts of the Spirit: I'm okay here, too, since I know they pray for their sick, and they prophesy but just don't realize that's what they're doing. I think they are devoted to serious study of the scriptures. I'm looking for that, for sure.

No musical instruments: At my age I really don't care anymore. That can distract from worship anyway. Especially now that rock and/or roll has taken over in the church (generally speaking, Deborah :lol).

Literally being saved by water baptism: Though I don't believe that, I'm all for immediate immersion when a person gets saved. They'll never know what I really think about it. :wink

It's funny, but I had an interesting dream this morning that wants me to go back to thinking about the loco--I mean 'local'--charismatic church. If it's a Joel Osteen offshoot I won't be interested. If it's teaching oriented like Joyce Meyers I'll be very interested.

Jethro Bodine said -

It's funny, but I had an interesting dream this morning that wants me to go back to thinking about the loco--I mean 'local'--charismatic church. If it's a Joel Osteen offshoot I won't be interested. If it's teaching oriented like Joyce Meyers I'll be very interested.

Yes, I hope you take that dream seriously.

I know the Spirit will lead you to the right Church.

JLB

They don't believe in that Holy Spirit stuff, in the CoC.

They teach and believe that a person is born again and Baptized in the Holy Spirit, when they are Baptized in water.

JLB

Do you mean the emotional charismatic part that at times can take over the whole service and leaves out the teaching of the word and only leaves one with a feel good temporal feeling until they walk out of the door or do you mean they have no clue what the Holy Spirit is. I was brought up in the United Church of Christ and that is where I first learned about Jesus in Sunday school at a very young age. My Grandmother who was my Spiritual inspiration when I was in my twenties taught me by example of the love of Christ that shone through her that she learned by going to UCoC. Is it not up to us as an individual to seek out truth and not believe everything that is taught from the pulpit, but to get into the word for ourselves. It could be a time and season that we walk into any Church as we seek truth and if not found there then we move on to another. It's always good when you go to a new Church to ask what their statement of faith is and read their by-laws so you can become familiar with what they do believe.

The CoC I knew may not be the CoC of today, but back then, it was almost sacrilege to express emotion where "church" was concerned. Two things stick inmy mind.

One was a time I was speaking with one of the deacons. I said, "I feel........"
I didn't even get the sentence out when he said in a condescending voice...... "FEELINGS????, Brother?"

Another was when a visitor raised one hand, and quietly said "Amen", to something the preacher said. Almost immediately, someone sitting near him, turned to him and said, quite directly, "We don't do that here."

For His glory said -

Do you mean the emotional charismatic part that at times can take over the whole service and leaves out the teaching of the word

I mean the Baptism of the Holy Spirit that is predominately "explained away" as a first Century phenomenon, by those of the denomination called The Church of Christ.

For His glory said -

Is it not up to us as an individual to seek out truth and not believe everything that is taught from the pulpit,

Absolutely, as it each will be held accountable for what they believe or don't believe by how live there lives during their time here.

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back