Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Common Usage?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Is this important to you?
Why?

It is.

You asked if I think the Messiah made a mistake? I replied that I didn't. I then asked what I had written that causes you to ask such a question. I'd like to know so that I can avoid writing any similar confusing comment/s in the future.

It is.

You asked if I think the Messiah made a mistake? I replied that I didn't. I then asked what I had written that causes you to ask such a question. I'd like to know so that I can avoid writing any similar confusing comment/s in the future.
Have to go back and reread everything.
Hold on....

It is.

Post 169 refers back to 164.

For some reason, it's very important to you as to how many nights Jesus spend in the spirit world before the resurrection.
Is this right?

My point to you is that IT WAS common usage.
I even gave you an example and it was how Italians "next week" many times.
The Jews did count any part of a day or night as a whole day.
Thus, even though Jesus died on Friday at 3 p.m.,,,it is counted as 3 days and not 2...
which is what we in the West would say (that there are 2 days between Friday and Sunday).

I asked you if you thought Jesus made a mistake in stating Jonah 1:17 and relating it to Himself...
that Jesus would be in the earth 3 days and 3 nights.....
Jesus was quoting Jonah....

Some theologians believe Jesus did not die on a Friday, but on Thursday....
So the resurrection would have been on the Sabbath.

I just fail to see how this is worth debating/discussing.
What difference does it make?

P.S. You didn't say anything that you should be careful of in the future.
:)

wondering,
re: "For some reason, it's very important to you as to how many nights Jesus spend in the spirit world before the resurrection. Is this right?"

No, not for the purpose of this topic.

re: "My point to you is that IT WAS common usage. I even gave you an example and it was how Italians 'next week' many times."

Even if your reasoning is appropriate - and I don't think that it is - you're talking about Italian customs in the 21st century and not about customs in 1st century Palestine.

re: "The Jews did count any part of a day or night as a whole day."

Agreed. But when did they count no part of a night as a night or no part of a daytime as a daytime?

re: "I asked you if you thought Jesus made a mistake in stating Jonah 1:17 and relating it to Himself..."

And I ask again, what have I written which caused you to ask that question?

re: "I just fail to see how this is worth debating/discussing.

I hadn't intended this topic to be about debate or discussion. I am merely asking for examples.

wondering,

You have a couple of questions directed to you in post #186.
BTW, you said that there are 2 days between Friday and Sunday. Actually there is only 1 day between Friday and Sunday.

wondering,

You have a couple of questions directed to you in post #186.
BTW, you said that there are 2 days between Friday and Sunday. Actually there is only 1 day between Friday and Sunday.
Please tag me or I won't know you're posting to me. Put a @ before the name.

This is an old thread and I can't remember it, to tell you the truth.

I don't really know how the Jews counted the days or nights....but each part of a day or night is considered a whole time period.

But where is no part of a day or no part of a night considered even a part of a day or a part of a night?
Huh?
Sorry rstrats...I really don't know much about Jewish time and have mentioned this already.

Why not join us here on a different thread that you enjoy?

Why not join us here on a different thread that you enjoy?

Some of the topics I've posted in here are:

Dietary Laws
Predestination: For or against?
Belief a CHOICE?
Mark 16:9
Are there contradictions in the Bible?
Three Curtains
Does Old Testament shadow work in New Testament Reality?
Are the Ten Commandments valid for Christians today?
Discrepancy between Leviticus 23:6 and Matthew 26:17?
Freewill

Some of the topics I've posted in here are:

Dietary Laws
Predestination: For or against?
Belief a CHOICE?
Mark 16:9
Are there contradictions in the Bible?
Three Curtains
Does Old Testament shadow work in New Testament Reality?
Are the Ten Commandments valid for Christians today?
Discrepancy between Leviticus 23:6 and Matthew 26:17?
Freewill
Hi strats,
These sound like interesting threads.
Maybe we could revive a couple?
I'll look into it.

And again, that "someone new" needs to be someone who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of the week resurrection, and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period.

And again, that "someone new" needs to be someone who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of the week resurrection, and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period.

No it was Heavenly language:

John 3:12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13 And NO MAN HATH ASCENDED UP TO HEAVEN, BUT he that came down from heaven, even THE SON OF MAN WHICH IS IN HEAVEN.

Jesus had not yet ascended to the Father, that is why He said touch me not( till three days and nights completed and accomplished for the heart of the earth, for the preaching of the saints in prison, who are away from the Father)..

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, TOUCH ME NOT, FOR I AM NOT YET ASCENDED TO MY FATHER: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Malachi 4:6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

No it was Heavenly language:

John 3:12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13 And NO MAN HATH ASCENDED UP TO HEAVEN, BUT he that came down from heaven, even THE SON OF MAN WHICH IS IN HEAVEN.

Jesus had not yet ascended to the Father, that is why He said touch me not( till three days and nights completed and accomplished for the heart of the earth, for the preaching of the saints in prison, who are away from the Father)..

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, TOUCH ME NOT, FOR I AM NOT YET ASCENDED TO MY FATHER: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Malachi 4:6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Searching verses there...........

Back