Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Compromising with the World

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Jesse

One of the most difficult things to do as a Christian (at least for me) is figuring out what it means to avoid compromising with the world (yes, there are the most obvious compromises). There are believers here who would say I am compromising, others who probably have compromised, others who are compromising and others who do not compromise – this is the category I want to be in because it’s the category I see that God told us to be in. He wasn’t kidding when he said don’t compromise with the world.

James 4:4 You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.

I think this issue has no boundaries; it crosses generational lines and is a worldwide universal problem inside the Church. It was already a problem at the start of the Church, which explains all the exhortations and warnings found in the Bible.

I believe the Church is widely affected by society (which you could say is allowing the world in), however the era a person grew up in will influence them and their view on what compromising looks like. Some people might be highly offended by tattoos for instance and make the claim a person doing so has loved the world, while another person would embrace the idea of tattoos, especially if it’s done in an expression of outwardly showing their love for the Lord (no I do not have any tattoos – lol), it’s an example. Others might embrace a secular sport, while others will say this is all secular and we shouldn’t follow any sport, musical group, watch certain movies, etc.

There are so many denominations and differing beliefs out there, I was wondering if you all could help pin down what it means to compromise with the world. I believe the Bible, especially the OT, has some great examples for this, but I wanted to see what you all had to say about it as well.

What is compromising with the world? How do we evangelize but not get entangled with it?

Thanks for your help.

1Th 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
1Th 4:12 That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.
2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Knowing God's Word... i am not talking about being able to quote all 66 books.... Satan can quote scripture.. know it in your heart... Having had the pleasure of watching a man grow in wisdom ,love ,power to become more Christlike than any one i have ever met.. I will tell you it is growth .. it is leaning ... it is a process . I doubt there is a divine club :rollingpin that slaps ya up side the head.... In some of your actions here you are growing...

Hi Jesse, compromising with the world is as much an attitude as it is doing it.
As the Spirit of God speaks to you, there are things you no longer want to do.
And as you no longer do them, you are breaking away from the world.
These are habits and attitudes towards things.

It doesn't happen overnight, we grow into change as we listen to the Spirit of God speak to us.
In one area of my life, I grew from a right wing Moral Majority member to a pretty near pacifist.
I'm still growing, not just in knowledge but in a change in my heart.

It happens in many areas of our lives, wherever we need work.
God knows.

I made a decision one day that I would put Jesus first in my job, no matter what.
But not without first prayer and believing God wanted me to do this.
Then he blessed me with a ministry at work that was going strong when I retired.

These things happen as we grow in a personal relationship with our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Just keep on worshiping God and reading his word, he will speak to you.

1Th 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
1Th 4:12 That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.
2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Knowing God's Word... i am not talking about being able to quote all 66 books.... Satan can quote scripture.. know it in your heart... Having had the pleasure of watching a man grow in wisdom ,love ,power to become more Christlike than any one i have ever met.. I will tell you it is growth .. it is leaning ... it is a process . I doubt there is a divine club :rollingpin that slaps ya up side the head.... In some of your actions here you are growing...
You mean like:
Hebrews 10:16 "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."

It's something that is learned over time as we spiritually mature, in this way we will instinctively know what is of the world and not of the world?

Satan is subtle and even if we think something is not of the world, it sneaks in and wants to consume us and turn us towards the world. Im thinking of Jehoshaphat from the OT, his relationship with Ahab seemed innocent enough, until it wasn't and almost got Jehoshaphat killed.

These are the kinds of instances I'm talking about, too.

Hi Jesse, compromising with the world is as much an attitude as it is doing it.
As the Spirit of God speaks to you, there are things you no longer want to do.
And as you no longer do them, you are breaking away from the world.
These are habits and attitudes towards things.

It doesn't happen overnight, we grow into change as we listen to the Spirit of God speak to us.
In one area of my life, I grew from a right wing Moral Majority member to a pretty near pacifist.
I'm still growing, not just in knowledge but in a change in my heart.

It happens in many areas of our lives, wherever we need work.
God knows.

I made a decision one day that I would put Jesus first in my job, no matter what.
But not without first prayer and believing God wanted me to do this.
Then he blessed me with a ministry at work that was going strong when I retired.

These things happen as we grow in a personal relationship with our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Just keep on worshiping God and reading his word, he will speak to you.
Thanks Rollo. I was just kind of hoping there was an off and on switch, immediate recognition. haha

What you have described is what I would call the sanctification process, we're purging all the bad and gaining all the Good.

What is compromising with the world? How do we evangelize but not get entangled with it?
Thanks for your help.

I can think of an example being the gay issue. My best friend is gay however, I know that scripture tells me that homosexuality is bad news. However, I also know Jesus hung out with the dregs of society in order to bring them the gospel and God's love. So I do this- I stick by my friend and give him advice when he asks for it and point out when he does something that might lead him down a bad path. Like when he wanted to put himself out there on a certain type of "dating" website. I let him know that as a business man it would be bad for his reputation, it could be unsafe (you don't know what kind of psycho you're "dating"!!), he could get a disease from one of his dates, and that (because He's Catholic) what does the doctrine of the Catholic church say on all this? Of course, he's a grown man and can make his own decisions, but my point is to steer him in the right direction. So eventhough yeah, my best friend is gay, I'm not going to compromise and say "oh that's totally ok that you're doing something that's going to physically, mentally and spiritually harm you!"

I can think of an example being the gay issue. My best friend is gay however, I know that scripture tells me that homosexuality is bad news. However, I also know Jesus hung out with the dregs of society in order to bring them the gospel and God's love. So I do this- I stick by my friend and give him advice when he asks for it and point out when he does something that might lead him down a bad path. Like when he wanted to put himself out there on a certain type of "dating" website. I let him know that as a business man it would be bad for his reputation, it could be unsafe (you don't know what kind of psycho you're "dating"!!), he could get a disease from one of his dates, and that (because He's Catholic) what does the doctrine of the Catholic church say on all this? Of course, he's a grown man and can make his own decisions, but my point is to steer him in the right direction. So eventhough yeah, my best friend is gay, I'm not going to compromise and say "oh that's totally ok that you're doing something that's going to physically, mentally and spiritually harm you!"
I understand what you're saying, we love the person and not their sin.

What about believers who remain in their sin, maybe like your friend? Doesn't the Bible say to confront them of their sin and if they remain in their sin have nothing to do with them because they are being rebellious? And then if we pray for them it will lead them to sorrow and repentance?

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just exploring and throwing out what I think scripture says and what other people have taught me.

Be careful how dogmatic you get in this, or you'll never even be heard by the world. There are people (yes, even right here) who might say you are compromising by owning that particular car you own. But, was Paul "compromising" when he spent time in Athens?

I dunno. Personally, I have very few friends now that I've become a Christian. Its weird...I had a severe psychotic break ("psychotic mania") 7 years ago and a lot of people kinda sorta kept me as a friend, but then Jesus entered the picture and...not so much, lol.

Anyway, as an ex-gay (well...celibate Christian prone to sodomy...), I avoid a lot of people who can't/won't/don't recognize some of their behaviors as sin. Like...gay dudes + their lady companions/enablers, for instance. Also, some of my semi-friends' behavior is so immoral that I just...don't...deal with it. Bad company corrupts good morals.

One of my semi-friends was going to be part of a Medi-Spa. There was a doc involved. He was going to supervise chemical peels, do botox, etc. Big deal for everybody involved. So, he was dating one of her friends, and that stopped, and suddenly...no $$$ for the project. Funny how that happens. So, my semi-friend raided the supplies they'd already gathered. She now has enough Botox to make a nursing home wrinkle-free, and she's lined up a friend to make her own wrinkles go away.

Anyway, I heard she and some other shady characters were going to be at a BBQ, and I was invited. Initially, I wanted to go, but then I thought about it...what do I want to do with these people? I mean, before Jesus, we could hang and all that. I'm no better than her, but we're playing for completely different teams. For me--and keep in mind, I'm a Baby Christian w/ a shady back story--hanging out w/ her and some other former "friends" would be unacceptable compromise with the world (and my past).

Be careful how dogmatic you get in this, or you'll never even be heard by the world. There are people (yes, even right here) who might say you are compromising by owning that particular car you own. But, was Paul "compromising" when he spent time in Athens?
Hey! They better not pick on my car, mine is faster than theirs. haha Talk about guilt - my mothers is drenched in it and she bought me that car out of guilt - I would have rather her get us out of the abuse, but instead she goes all materialism and buys me a car. The teen in me couldn't say "no". lol

Back to topic - this is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to be brought up as well! :) There is a guy who I meant on another forum who believes unless he rids himself of all belongings, he is compromising with the world. Yet he hasn't done anything about it, so not sure how serious he is. lol

The Amish have not compromised with the world - or is all their behavior and actions not being blessed by God. God did say what He said though about loving the world.

I dunno. Personally, I have very few friends now that I've become a Christian. Its weird...I had a severe psychotic break ("psychotic mania") 7 years ago and a lot of people kinda sorta kept me as a friend, but then Jesus entered the picture and...not so much, lol.

Anyway, as an ex-gay (well...celibate Christian prone to sodomy...), I avoid a lot of people who can't/won't/don't recognize some of their behaviors as sin. Like...gay dudes + their lady companions/enablers, for instance. Also, some of my semi-friends' behavior is so immoral that I just...don't...deal with it. Bad company corrupts good morals.

One of my semi-friends was going to be part of a Medi-Spa. There was a doc involved. He was going to supervise chemical peels, do botox, etc. Big deal for everybody involved. So, he was dating one of her friends, and that stopped, and suddenly...no $$$ for the project. Funny how that happens. So, my semi-friend raided the supplies they'd already gathered. She now has enough Botox to make a nursing home wrinkle-free, and she's lined up a friend to make her own wrinkles go away.

Anyway, I heard she and some other shady characters were going to be at a BBQ, and I was invited. Initially, I wanted to go, but then I thought about it...what do I want to do with these people? I mean, before Jesus, we could hang and all that. I'm no better than her, but we're playing for completely different teams. For me--and keep in mind, I'm a Baby Christian w/ a shady back story--hanging out w/ her and some other former "friends" would be unacceptable compromise with the world (and my past).
It sounds like that was a wise move on your part, CE, to avoid those people. I have been invited to a ton of parties but I don't go and I hear you about the friend thing. I think a lot of people would call me their friend, but those friendships are superficial. I too have very few close friends, Jesus only had 3 of them in his inner circle!

What about my example about Jehoshaphat and Ahab's friendship that I posted earlier? That friendship seemed innocent and genuine but Ahab had ulterior motives. It's more difficult to stand up against what we consider a true friend, then one who is not so much - like you refer to them as a "semi-friend".

Hey! They better not pick on my car, mine is faster than theirs. haha Talk about guilt - my mothers is drenched in it and she bought me that car out of guilt - I would have rather her get us out of the abuse, but instead she goes all materialism and buys me a car. The teen in me couldn't say "no". lol

Back to topic - this is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to be brought up as well! :) There is a guy who I meant on another forum who believes unless he rids himself of all belongings, he is compromising with the world. Yet he hasn't done anything about it, so not sure how serious he is. lol

The Amish have not compromised with the world - or is all their behavior and actions not being blessed by God. God did say what He said though about loving the world.
Well, Satan slips in just as craftily with our legalism, too.

After all, what does the Bible say is the power of sin?

Well, Satan slips in just as craftily with our legalism, too.
That is true, but I don't want to be over on that side either. If we defined legalism we might say it is the man made laws people have created for themselves.

I'm just talking about the boundaries God has placed in our lives for our own safety and guidance, and where are those boundaries. What do they look like?

In all this, I believe we have to keep returning to ONE THING for balance and stability.
And that is to ask what Jesus told us to do.... and to remember WHAT God is.

People can often, and correctly, say that they see members of my church at a bar, and also laughing with drug dealers, hookers, and thieves. And they would be right. But is there "compromise" in that?

People can often, and correctly, say that they see members of my church at a bar, and also laughing with drug dealers, hookers, and thieves. And they would be right. But is there "compromise" in that?
I see a difference between believers sitting in a bar drinking versus those who are laughing with drug dealer, thieves and robbers. By sitting in a bar drinking, it could cause another to stumble, then I would say yes. We very well could be compromising another's walk. I for one would not go to a bar, sit in it and drink - what good would it do?

Why are we laughing with the drug dealer, thief or robber? My answer would be dependent upon answering that question.

1Th_5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

As Willie said
In all this, I believe we have to keep returning to ONE THING for balance and stability.
And that is to ask what Jesus told us to do.... and to remember WHAT God is.

What may look evil to grumpy ol Joe might just be what the guy needed...

1Th_5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
This goes with your thoughts of a stumbling block...
If i was on the street talking with the hookers... that should not be a stumbling block
If i am dressed like a hooker on the street talking with the hookers that might be different...
Balance

Back