Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Compromising with the World

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I understand what you're saying, we love the person and not their sin.
What about believers who remain in their sin, maybe like your friend? Doesn't the Bible say to confront them of their sin and if they remain in their sin have nothing to do with them because they are being rebellious? And then if we pray for them it will lead them to sorrow and repentance?I'm not arguing with you, I'm just exploring and throwing out what I think scripture says and what other people have taught me.

I guess it's just a level of how much patience do you have? Jesus of course has infinite patience with us- but when we die, game over.
With my friend, I've had some ups and downs- talking and not talking to him. He knows where my line in the sand is. But when his husband cheated on him, I was there to offer comfort and advice because if I wasn't he'd be deeper into his sin and worse off. My level of patience with him is pretty high. But I've had times where I've had to cut other friends out of my life entirely. I had another gay best friend in HS and college, who was into witchcraft. I was into it with him for a while but when I decided to get out of it, that's when I stopped talking to him. Another mutual friend of ours who is a Christian talks to him. I just couldn't. I guess God leads us to who we need to help out.
On another note...what is with me and gay dudes huh!? LOL

I see a difference between believers sitting in a bar drinking versus those who are laughing with drug dealer, thieves and robbers. By sitting in a bar drinking, it could cause another to stumble, then I would say yes. We very well could be compromising another's walk. I for one would not go to a bar, sit in it and drink - what good would it do?

Why are we laughing with the drug dealer, thief or robber? My answer would be dependent upon answering that question.
Do you see what your indoctrination just did? Did I say a word about "sitting & drinking?" (Although if it were not for medical reasons, I would enjoy a beer fairly often) No, I did not. Our preacher conducts a Bible study at a local pub every Monday night. Figuring he likes Malt Liquor, I think he does nurse a glass or two all night, But is that compromise? Jesus made 908 bottles of wine for a wedding, and I suspect he did not make a spectacle of himself by refusing to drink any, himself, making all the rest feel the spotlight of accusing condemnation.

And the people we talk with? Sometimes (many times) I have spent hours just talking with them.... without ever "preaching" a bit... at least, with words. Is this "compromise", to be a friend, and spend often months getting to know who they are?

Sure, there is talk of God. As you might imagine, no one speaks with me very long without hearing about my savior... but few people (other than some self-righteous Christians) ever hear me do any specific preaching. However, the God talk is not telling them they are sinners. Contrary to what Kurt & Ray think, there's hardly a human alive that does not understand they are lacking that relationship... if they don't know Him yet.

But the point here is that we are going to be judged by others all the time, and we cannot let that sad fact dictate how we relate to those very people Jesus came to seek & save.

Do you see what your indoctrination just did?
Hey! Leave my indoctrination alone! It's taken up the last few years and many struggles to finally get here! :lol
Did I say a word about "sitting & drinking?" (Although if it were not for medical reasons, I would enjoy a beer fairly often) No, I did not. Our preacher conducts a Bible study at a local pub every Monday night. Figuring he likes Malt Liquor, I think he does nurse a glass or two all night, But is that compromise? Jesus made 908 bottles of wine for a wedding, and I suspect he did not make a spectacle of himself by refusing to drink any, himself, making all the rest feel the spotlight of accusing condemnation.

And the people we talk with? Sometimes (many times) I have spent hours just talking with them.... without ever "preaching" a bit... at least, with words. Is this "compromise", to be a friend, and spend often months getting to know who they are?
I did read into the bar thing, but I did sincerely ask why we're laughing with the drug addict, thief and robber and because I know Jesus meets us where we're at, then I think some people are called to minister to them.

I say "some" because there are some people (according to the Bible) who might not be strong enough in their walk to hang out with them and avoid falling into the same pit as they are in.
Sure, there is talk of God. As you might imagine, no one speaks with me very long without hearing about my savior... but few people (other than some self-righteous Christians) ever hear me do any specific preaching. However, the God talk is not telling them they are sinners. Contrary to what Kurt & Ray think, there's hardly a human alive that does not understand they are lacking that relationship... if they don't know Him yet.

But the point here is that we are going to be judged by others all the time, and we cannot let that sad fact dictate how we relate to those very people Jesus came to seek & save.
I still would not drink because it might cause another to stumble and I know the repercussions of alcoholism. Personally, I think this is where the church has opened it's doors wide and allowed this to be a socially acceptable practice that maybe it shouldn't be.

I do not see the point in that behavior. Why are we altering our minds?

Hey! Leave my indoctrination alone! It's taken up the last few years and many struggles to finally get here! :lol
I did read into the bar thing, but I did sincerely ask why we're laughing with the drug addict, thief and robber and because I know Jesus meets us where we're at, then I think some people are called to minister to them.

I say "some" because there are some people (according to the Bible) who might not be strong enough in their walk to hang out with them and avoid falling into the same pit as they are in.

I still would not drink because it might cause another to stumble and I know the repercussions of alcoholism. Personally, I think this is where the church has opened it's doors wide and allowed this to be a socially acceptable practice that maybe it shouldn't be.

I do not see the point in that behavior. Why are we altering our minds?
I don't, but many people will not even go into the part of town these people often frequent, mostly for fear of what other "good Christians" might think of them.

This thread is about compromising with the world.
Don't lose sight of that.
We don't walk into the devil's den unless we are sent there.
And very few of us are sent there.

I fear no evil.
Read my signature.
Yet I will not ever go into the devil's den without God leading me there.

1Th_5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
This goes with your thoughts of a stumbling block...
If i was on the street talking with the hookers... that should not be a stumbling block
If i am dressed like a hooker on the street talking with the hookers that might be different...
Balance
This is a very good point.

It should be obvious we are not of the crowd we're speaking to, as in we should not blend in to look like the world.

This thread is about compromising with the world.
Don't lose sight of that.
We don't walk into the devil's den unless we are sent there.
And very few of us are sent there.

I fear no evil.
Read my signature.
Yet I will not ever go into the devil's den without God leading me there.
We are in the world, but protected from the world and not to look like the world.

If God sends us anywhere, he has prepared us and he goes before us.

I don't, but many people will not even go into the part of town these people often frequent, mostly for fear of what other "good Christians" might think of them.
I'm sure they do but I don't think this point is allowing the world in. We're supposed to set an example for everyone, it's just the kind of example that could possibly be shown looks too much like the world.

I have learned and believe this with all my heart, a person will not listen to you unless they know you care and love them first.

So how do we avoid compromising with the world?

One of the most difficult things to do as a Christian (at least for me) is figuring out what it means to avoid compromising with the world (yes, there are the most obvious compromises). There are believers here who would say I am compromising, others who probably have compromised, others who are compromising and others who do not compromise – this is the category I want to be in because it’s the category I see that God told us to be in. He wasn’t kidding when he said don’t compromise with the world.

James 4:4 You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.

I think this issue has no boundaries; it crosses generational lines and is a worldwide universal problem inside the Church. It was already a problem at the start of the Church, which explains all the exhortations and warnings found in the Bible.

I believe the Church is widely affected by society (which you could say is allowing the world in), however the era a person grew up in will influence them and their view on what compromising looks like. Some people might be highly offended by tattoos for instance and make the claim a person doing so has loved the world, while another person would embrace the idea of tattoos, especially if it’s done in an expression of outwardly showing their love for the Lord (no I do not have any tattoos – lol), it’s an example. Others might embrace a secular sport, while others will say this is all secular and we shouldn’t follow any sport, musical group, watch certain movies, etc.

There are so many denominations and differing beliefs out there, I was wondering if you all could help pin down what it means to compromise with the world. I believe the Bible, especially the OT, has some great examples for this, but I wanted to see what you all had to say about it as well.

What is compromising with the world? How do we evangelize but not get entangled with it?

Thanks for your help.
Neither give the devil any! place, http://biblehub.com/niv/ephesians/4.htm

With their cunning sermons also. but a person may ask, how can you tell whether or not it is the real thing? One thing is shore, That is why we should follow his steps with no divisions. I Cor.1-10-31, I Thessalonians 5:1-22-28.

Last edited:
I'm sure they do but I don't think this point is allowing the world in. We're supposed to set an example for everyone, it's just the kind of example that could possibly be shown looks too much like the world.

I have learned and believe this with all my heart, a person will not listen to you unless they know you care and love them first.

So how do we avoid compromising with the world?
Did Jesus concern himself when he actually "touched" the leper? (totally taboo) Or let the prostitute wash His feet? Or ate with the scum?
To me, shirking from doing what God would have us do because of being concerned about our "reputation" IS compromising with the world. What do you suppose Jesus meant when He said not to fear men? It was a lot more than being afraid someone might kill you... it was also letting them control your actions because of "fear" of their impressions and reactions.

Something i get from Scripture is the sinners Jesus spent time with were no longer sinners ... That may not be phrased correctly ....
It is not like He went to the hooker and paid her to wash His feet.
All saved folks are sinners saved by grace..

in the world, not of the world. Wise as serpents, innocent as doves.

Its great to reach out to the dregs of society, mega-sinners, work-a-day sinners...everybody needs Jesus. Christians reach out for a purpose. We are to facilitate God's work in the lives of people all over--from street walkers and destitute, homeless people, on up to dissatsfied suburbanites suffering from affluenza. But its not really a social call, you know? As I see it, we interact with those in need of Christ for a reason: to point them towards The Good News. Its part of the Christian job description. I think there is such a thing as being too comfortable with and around sin and sinners.

I'm sure there were highly legalistic Jews in the Cana crowd who scoffed at Jesus' miracle of wine. I'm sure having His feet anointed by the prostitute was the talk of the town. The drinker, the whore, the leper, the publican, all sinners in the Gospel and in the world today are loved by Him, and He came to them, and comes to us all, as we are. This is grace unmerited. He was in the world, but not of it, and around Him, people felt the love and acceptance of God.

His love draws us in and we change not because of who we are, but because of Who God Is. It was not the threat of law which changed their hearts, it was not the promise of approval from the socially esteemed, it was love.

Do people around us feel the love and acceptance of God, or the law of the Pharisee? I wonder. Be vessels of grace and love and don't compromise on the word -- it can all be done in a loving and accepting manner. I have never met a person who was lawed, guilted, theologied, doctrined or dogma'd into faith... only set free by the astounding, amazing grace of God, realizing there is something so much greater than their chosen captivity.

My problem is...

...the gospel is offensive to those still in the world. I mean, just based on my few (former) friends and semi friends, Jesus doesn't sit well with a lot of people, especially if you are articulate enough to defend your beliefs. And there's such a thing as being too comfortable with the world and I think...well, we're human beings, you know...we can fall into temptation.

I dunno. There's also, I think, the fact that some of us may be called to reach out to the dregs while others may just reach out to those closest to them. Or those in other countries. I don't think there's a one size fits all rule of thumb for evangelism. Just my thoughts, of course.

Did Jesus concern himself when he actually "touched" the leper? (totally taboo) Or let the prostitute wash His feet? Or ate with the scum?
To me, shirking from doing what God would have us do because of being concerned about our "reputation" IS compromising with the world. What do you suppose Jesus meant when He said not to fear men? It was a lot more than being afraid someone might kill you... it was also letting them control your actions because of "fear" of their impressions and reactions.
If we are not doing what God called us to do - it would be sin for us. God has prepared work for us to do and He will have been prepared us to do that work.

There are people who might stumble though and maybe the key is to ensure we are abiding in Christ, in this way our focus is on Him, while we're with them.

Last edited:
My problem is...

...the gospel is offensive to those still in the world. I mean, just based on my few (former) friends and semi friends, Jesus doesn't sit well with a lot of people, especially if you are articulate enough to defend your beliefs. And there's such a thing as being too comfortable with the world and I think...well, we're human beings, you know...we can fall into temptation.

I dunno. There's also, I think, the fact that some of us may be called to reach out to the dregs while others may just reach out to those closest to them. Or those in other countries. I don't think there's a one size fits all rule of thumb for evangelism. Just my thoughts, of course.
I think you're right, wherever we are, that's where God places us. I don't even know any drug addicts right now in my life and it's not like I have the urge to go find one. God has given me a group of people who I share the gospel with right where I am.

I agree with people being offended by the gospel, even some believers are. lol I think it depends on where that other person is, some people, when they find out you're a believer, is immediately turned off and cops an attitude, while others are humble enough to actually have a conversation with them. Some people's value systems highly contrast ours, and I find it's difficult to converse with them. I suppose this is something I will "grow into".

yeah, I'm not looking to reach out to deviants right now, either. I was a deviant, now I'm not, thanks only to Christ's grace. For this season in my life, I think my "mission field" is my parents and maybe a few other people. For others, however, they may be given a burning desire to reach the most (obviously) wretched, and that's good, too.

yeah, I'm not looking to reach out to deviants right now, either. I was a deviant, now I'm not, thanks only to Christ's grace. For this season in my life, I think my "mission field" is my parents and maybe a few other people. For others, however, they may be given a burning desire to reach the most (obviously) wretched, and that's good, too.
It's true, there is a time and place for everything. Reaching out to certain people takes a level of spiritual maturity and I'm not sure I'm ready to do that, could be why God doesn't have me in that place right now.

You, however, could one day be very powerful in speaking to younger people or wayward ones who need to hear your testimony of how far God has brought you and what He has done in your life. I bet you will be an amazing witness to many people. You already are doing it here.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back