Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Dancing in Church

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-14904">3</sup>But let the righteous be glad; let them rejoice before God: yea, let them exceedingly rejoice. <sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-14905">4</sup>Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him.

Please refer #98 to understand why dancing is irrelevant for worship during NT times.

Hi Felix

I understand and accept the concept of worship to God given on a daily basis. The point I make for this discussion is that the Jews were commanded the Sabbath. The church in the NT met on the 1st day, I Cor. 16:1,2 and Acts 20:7. On which day of the week do you assemble with brethren for worship, the 1st or the 7th? To identify which day may clear a point.

I do worship on Sundays not because I have to meet on Sundays according to Bible but because it is a holiday. My brother is in Kuwait and there he goes to church on Fridays because Sunday is a working day in all Muslim countries. There is nothing called a day for worshiping and has nothing to do with the New Covenant. It is just followed in a way that seems easy to that situation. Disciples and Paul met in Jewish Synagogues on Sabbath as well as met in churches on the Lord's day.

Please refer #98 to understand why dancing is irrelevant for worship during NT times.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16396">1</sup>Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16397">2</sup>Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16398">3</sup>Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16399">4</sup>Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16400">5</sup>Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16401">6</sup>Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16396">1</sup>Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16397">2</sup>Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16398">3</sup>Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16399">4</sup>Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16400">5</sup>Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16401">6</sup>Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

You did not read #98. Did you?

Felix please list all the Psalms that do not have application in the church with explantions.a

You did not read #98. Did you?

Did you read 150?

Did you read 150?

Did you read #59?

Webb, I don't want to deviate but you have to worship the Lord every day and every moment. Neither did Christ said everyone to meet on Sundays. The point of the new covenant is not about 'worship'. Infact Christ did not even say anywhere to worship himself. But it is well understood throughout the NT that He did not want us to 'worship' Him the same way as in OT but to 'love' Him. Worship is serving God but Love is different. If a servant obeys his master, he serves him. However, if the master's son obeys his father, he does not serve but love. God never ever called anyone as his son in OT. However, in NT, He called us His son by adoption through Christ. You can command someone to worship or serve but you CANNOT command anyone in the entire globe to love someone. God wants us to love - not worship.

So, we don't have a master to serve Him by worshiping but we have a loving father to whom we obey out of love. This is why Christ did not ask anyone to worship Him. He just asked us to love Him. Neither we are created to worship God (as we see in Gen 1), God created man to rule the earth and have dominion over all His creations on earth.

:topictotopic

Coming to worshiping by praising, dancing etc etc.. the truth drills down to what Christ asked us to do. He asked us to love Him and love others. If we don't love others and sing praise songs and dance, we don't worship and it not the worship used in NT.

So, dancing is NOT what Christ expects from us anytime. David could have worshiped (served) God in OT by dancing. But, we have to love (obey Him by loving others) God in NT which has nothing to do with dancing.
It s not often someone is so far off the mark I am moved to pity ,but you've done it Felix.

Felix you say dancing is irrelevant so why do fight against it?

When you see someone rejoicing you know it is for joy by the very sight and you will be glad and happy for them. It is not the dance that some are referring people. If you want to refer it, you can call it leaping not dance.

(Luke 1:41) And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
(Luke 6:23) Rejoice in that day and leap for joy! For indeed your reward [is] great in heaven, For in like manner their fathers did to the prophets.
(Acts 3:8) So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them -- walking, leaping, and praising God.

Leaping in Joy is not the same as dancing.

Similarly in David's case the word actually means whirling (not dancing). So, David wasn't dancing to tunes but playing music and whirling out of joy.

The actual word for dance [H4246 מְחוֹלָה mchowlah] is not used in David's case but the word used is whirl [H3769 כָּרַר karar].

If you refer to Julia E. Smith's Literal Translation, one of the best literal translations ever, she referred throughout the event not as dance but leaping.

Hence, it's not dancing that is referred and I will fight against anything irrelevant to Christ creeping into churches for if it is not from Christ, it must be from Satan.

Felix--So Paul wasted his time waiting for the first day of the week to meet with the saints in Troas, when anyother day would have sufficed?

When you see someone rejoicing you know it is for joy by the very sight and you will be glad and happy for them. It is not the dance that some are referring people. If you want to refer it, you can call it leaping not dance.

(Luke 1:41) And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
(Luke 6:23) Rejoice in that day and leap for joy! For indeed your reward [is] great in heaven, For in like manner their fathers did to the prophets.
(Acts 3:8) So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them -- walking, leaping, and praising God.

Similarly in David's case the word actually means whirling (not dancing). So, David wasn't dancing to tunes but playing music and whirling out of joy.

The actual word for dance [H4246 מְחוֹלָה mchowlah] is not used in David's case but the word used is whirl [H3769 כָּרַר karar].

If you refer to Julia E. Smith's Literal Translation, one of the best literal translations ever, she referred throughout the event not as dance but leaping.

Hence, it's not dancing that is referred and I will fight against anything irrelevant to Christ creeping into churches for if it is not from Christ, it must be from Satan.
Felix having two fives is the same as having one ten.

Felix--So Paul wasted his time waiting for the first day of the week to meet with the saints in Troas, when anyother day would have sufficed?

I believe you are referring to Acts 20:5-6. However, the next verse explains that the disciples met weekly once not every day.

Now theres a distinction without a difference. You might as well say dancing with music is not the same as music with dancing. :toofunny:toofunny:toofunny

Thats what I'm saying, Paul waited 5 days Vs.6 until the brethren met on the first day of the week, vs. 7 to break bread. If any day of the week would suffice for worship with the assembly why not break bread on the 5th or 4th day or whatever? ,

Here. Let me end the discussion right now. When some people see the word "dancing", they go right to that dark little corner of the mind where everything is dirty and "dancing" is filed under "B" for "bumping and grinding."

Now, given Felix's quote (above), I would agree IF someone's idea of dancing is Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey doing the "Dirty Dancing" (from the movie of the same name.)

That's not the kind of dancing the Bible is describing.

Therefore, any objection to dancing in the church is probably based on a false idea of what dance is or isn't in a given context.

Thats what I'm saying, Paul waited 5 days Vs.6 until the brethren met on the first day of the week, vs. 7 to break bread. If any day of the week would suffice for worship with the assembly why not break bread on the 5th or 4th day or whatever? ,

Oh.. I think I forgot to explain better. In those days, people go to work sometimes long distances for work and come after 4-5 days. Not all people are easily accessible everyday as they have other work to do as well. If they want to meet on the next day, informing everyone to come in impossible. They had agreed before hand that they will meet on the Lord's day. So, if Paul wants to meet everyone, he cannot call all people to come the next day but wait for the time when they come together to meet.

It is like our own church. If you want to meet everyone in the church you have to wait for the coming Sunday. Otherwise, you have to give a call to everyone and make arrangements to come on another day which is quite exhaustive effort and not everyone will be available either.

Here. Let me end the discussion right now. When some people see the word "dancing", they go right to that dark little corner of the mind where everything is dirty and "dancing" is filed under "B" for "bumping and grinding."

Now, given Felix's quote (above), I would agree IF someone's idea of dancing is Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey doing the "Dirty Dancing" (from the movie of the same name.)

That's not the kind of dancing the Bible is describing.

Therefore, any objection to dancing in the church is probably based on a false idea of what dance is or isn't in a given context.

Thanks for clarifying it so that it makes it better for me to explain.
If you look at what the original post by Classik was:

Classik said:
One of our pastors isn't quite comfortable with us dancing the way we want. Some criticised our youth, saying our women move (or sort of dance) sexily, and Some dance in some ways that don't glorify God.

What kind of dance would that be?

Women move sexy through the Holy Spirit for glorifying God? What kind of nonsense is that dance doing inside the body of Christ?

These needs to be stopped and rebuked which the Pastor of the church exactly did.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back