Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

did jesus die on the cross or the stake

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here. After reading that article it seem more toward being against the use of the cross in worship or glorifying the device used to kill Jesus? One other question, what difference would it make if it was a cross or a stake?

the jw call all christians that believe that jesus died on the cross idol worshippers. They see this as a reason not to believe what those outside the 'truth' say. The jw believe that they are the only way to the kingdom of god.

i did a search on that website and that one was the only one that showed. Archeology says that Jesus died on the cross as crucifixacation was the means to punish those that werent Roman citizens. So either their nwt bible is the only true bible and all others are lies or vice versa

i was raised jw and that point is a big one to the jw.

Well, personally, I'm not going to lose sleep over whether it was a cross or a stake, the point is in what happened on it. I do think there may be some point to being careful that the cross doesn't become an object of worship. On the other hand I don't think its right to lump all those that think Jesus died on the cross as idol worshipers.

Calling the cross a stake is just one of the few things that JW's differ on orthodox Christianity about.

The Mormons consider the cross an idol also. You won't find a cross in their temple, churches or homes.
I've heard it said, "Smith died by a gun but you don't see me wearing the figure of a gun around my neck."

To me, whether Jesus died on a stake or a cross doesn't matter all that much, just what happened on the cross/stake, although I do believe it's a cross. Notice that the linked JW article said "some ancient drawings depict the use of a single wooden pole in Roman executions". Notice the use of the word SOME. I believe the common thing was to be crucifixed on a cross, rather than a stake.

I do in a way agree with the article in that we should not get wrapped up with worshipping the cross/stake itself, rather what it represents, although I don't see a need to ban it or anything from a church.

prough91 said:
Calling the cross a stake is just one of the few things that JW's differ on orthodox Christianity about.
JW's differ immensly from Christianity. If you have a look at their set of beliefs you'll find that they are quite different. Quite possibly based on similar things, but very different.

Nick_29 said:
prough91 said:
JW's differ immensly from Christianity. If you have a look at their set of beliefs you'll find that they are quite different. Quite possibly based on similar things, but very different.
Oops, that was supposed to be "one of the many things". Thanks for pointing that out, brother.

prough91 said:
Nick_29 said:
prough91 said:
Oops, that was supposed to be "one of the many things". Thanks for pointing that out, brother.
Ahhh, well that changes the situation, then. :salute :)

They the JW's also say Jesus is Michael the arch angel. My older brother and His wife where Jw for some time, I myself had attended on serveral occasions. The cross around my neck is not to be worshiped, but a reminder of what Jesus had to endure to save me. They also say Jesus has aready come back, and He came to the Watch Tower to show them how to bring His kingdom in..

freeway01 said:
They the JW's also say Jesus is Michael the arch angel. My older brother and His wife where Jw for some time, I myself had attended on serveral occasions. The cross around my neck is not to be worshiped, but a reminder of what Jesus had to endure to save me. They also say Jesus has aready come back, and He came to the Watch Tower to show them how to bring His kingdom in..
i dont recall that one, as its called the Watch Tower and tract society , the home organization that prints all the literature. I got the link that goes to the sire they run themselves posted so that we know what they are saying.

I dont think there is a difference really. The point is he suffered and died for our sins. Whethere he died on a cross or steak doesnt matter to me. That being said, from everything i have read it was the customary to use a cross.

jasoncran said:
the jw call all christians that believe that jesus died on the cross idol worshippers. They see this as a reason not to believe what those outside the 'truth' say. The jw believe that they are the only way to the kingdom of god.

i did a search on that website and that one was the only one that showed. Archeology says that Jesus died on the cross as crucifixacation was the means to punish those that werent Roman citizens. So either their nwt bible is the only true bible and all others are lies or vice versa

i was raised jw and that point is a big one to the jw.

The leadership swallow camels and chock on gnats. It really doesn't matter compared to the weightier things like the bodily resurrection of Jesus that they deny for example.

I remember telling a JW who is a friend that this type of thinking and trying to convince people (of insignificant things) just alienates them more and hurts their efforts.

I also to told them that even if they have the Father but not the Son then they don't have the Father.
Compared to other Christians who have the Son automaticly have the Father.

I can reason with my friend but he is too intrenched in his doctrinal stance from the leadership to change.

What I find interesting, is they say that if we can prove them wrong they will change, but when I went to their website you cannot write to them, except your info for a visit.

But I must say I admire them for their door to door work, they are planting seeds for sure and I pray the Holy Spirit takes hold of the younger generation of believers.

Sadly they believe only the 144k can have the Holy Spirit and eat of the body of Jesus and blood of Jesus. So they stop the children of that church from eating of the bread and drinking of the wine.

Better question is their Jesus the Egyptians Horus? Who died on a tree.

I've always known about the JW claim of the stake. But somethings not connecting. Why do they force this issue? I'm not sure I can even frame the question right. If they're concerned with the cross becoming an idol, couldn't that happen with a stake? I just don't understand why you would have to believe one over the other.

To me there's no point besides giving them a reason to say Christians are wrong. Do they give any offense for this belief as opposed to defense of it?

mjjcb said:
I've always known about the JW claim of the stake. But somethings not connecting. Why do they force this issue? I'm not sure I can even frame the question right. If they're concerned with the cross becoming an idol, couldn't that happen with a stake? I just don't understand why you would have to believe one over the other.

To me there's no point besides giving them a reason to say Christians are wrong. Do they give any offense for this belief as opposed to defense of it?
they believe that cross is a pagan symbol originally from the ankh.

Do they deny that Romans generally used the cross for execution, or do they just say that Jesus was not hung on a cross?

Back