Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Did Paul Ever Misspeak?

E

elijah23

Why do many people believe that Paul never misspoke in the Bible? Certainly God never misspoke, and he is quoted at length, and Jesus, who is God in flesh, I believe, never misspoke, and he also is quoted at length, but why do many people believe that Paul never misspoke?

With the belief that scripture is the Inspired Word of God, anything Paul wrote in scripture is not his words, but the Words of the Holy Spirit. To say he misspoke is to say the Holy Spirit misspoke. I don't believe this has ever happened.

With the belief that scripture is the Inspired Word of God, anything Paul wrote in scripture is not his words, but the Words of the Holy Spirit. To say he misspoke is to say the Holy Spirit misspoke. I don't believe this has ever happened.

Jesus taught us to be just. Paul said women can’t speak in church. I think that was unjust.

I believe all we need to know is in the teachings of God and Jesus, when they are directly quoted in the Bible. Paul has much to teach, but I think he was occasionally wrong. I think the Lord thought we would understand this.

Jesus taught us to be just. Paul said women can’t speak in church. I think that was unjust.

I believe all we need to know is in the teachings of God and Jesus, when they are directly quoted in the Bible. Paul has much to teach, but I think he was occasionally wrong. I think the Lord thought we would understand this.
Wow that is scary...

Gods Word stands we need to adhere to His Word to follow in His steps. Change His Word to what you think it should be and your following yourself.

Wow that is scary...

Gods Word stands we need to adhere to His Word to follow in His steps. Change His Word to what you think it should be and your following yourself.

God and Jesus are both quoted often in the Bible. These words have to be obeyed to the letter. I am not talking about these words. I am talking about the words of Paul and the other epistle writers. I think they had much to offer, but I think they occasionally were in error. Jesus said we must be just, but Paul says women shouldn’t be allowed to speak in church. I think Paul was being unjust.

For me i believe the whole of Scripture to be the Word of God. Not all are the words of God as satan is quoted.

From Genesis to The Revelation is the Word of God to this ol girl. You have a right to believe differently. I will hold to His Word to be my guide not my own path. His Word is a Light.

Throw out the words you dont like or you disagree with that is your choice. I am very sorry to hear of anyone who does so.

As women i dont feel, believe, or think God was unjust in any way.

For me i believe the whole of Scripture to be the Word of God. Not all are the words of God as satan is quoted.

From Genesis to The Revelation is the Word of God to this ol girl. You have a right to believe differently. I will hold to His Word to be my guide not my own path. His Word is a Light.

Throw out the words you dont like or you disagree with that is your choice. I am very sorry to hear of anyone who does so.

As women i dont feel, believe, or think God was unjust in any way.
I throw out nothing of what God and Jesus, who I believe is God in flesh, are quoted as saying, and they are quoted often. To me, THIS, and this only, is the Word of God. It includes the commandments, which I believe should be obeyed to the letter. And when Jesus says we should be just, then we should be just, despite what Paul says.

Paul also said slaves should obey their masters. He was wrong again. As Christians, it is our responsibility to fight injustice, not bless it.

Elijah!!!

You are the only man I have ever met who has said this!!
I believe it too and keep my mouth shut on it because I feel it will make people angry, but you have been brave and given me the inclination to be brave too!

The men who declared all of Paul's letters to be scripture are the same ones who declared a lot of other books to be scripture too! So I have thought that if you think they were inerrant in this declaration, then how is it that you toss out any of the books they declared to be scripture?! You are saying they were inerrant when they declared Paul's letters scripture but they made a mistake when they declared Tobbit and Macabeans, etc., to be scripture!

And Paul even states inplaces in his letters (very FEW places) that he is giving his OPINION, or that he THINKS he has the mind of God on a certain thing.

Jesus quoted from and approved that the OT was the word of God and of COURSE Jesus' own words were the word of God, but when a man says: I give my opinion..........well, I believe this is a different thing than: thus sayeth the Lord. I believe Paul would agree with me if he were here!

Another thing is that I have seen churches insist that women cannot teach but at they DON'T make them cover their heads. They seem to not even SEE the schism there!

You are a brave man for God, Elijah!!!

God and Jesus are both quoted often in the Bible. These words have to be obeyed to the letter. I am not talking about these words. I am talking about the words of Paul and the other epistle writers. I think they had much to offer, but I think they occasionally were in error.
The words of Jesus spoken about Paul:
"for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel" Acts 9:15 KJV

The words of Jesus spoken to Paul:
"but rise, and stand upon thy feet; for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen,and of those things in which I will appear unto thee;" Acts 26:16 KJV

And the words of Paul- who Jesus said would be His witness:
"But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ" Gal. 1:11-12

Westtexas

Do you know why he said that? When you find out, get back to us. While you're at it, find out why Paul didn't want women to have positions of authority in the church.

Then tell me how unjust it was.

I do believe that Paul misspoke at times. I also believe that Matthew, Mark, Luke and John did as well. As well as Moses, Elijah, Isaiah, and even Amos...they were all human and all prone to mistakes.

I just don't think that anything they ever wrote down that wound up in the Scriptures was misstated. I think the Holy Spirit not only inspired the writers of the Scriptures, but also divinely kept the Scriptures inerrant. I don't believe anything that the Scriptures clearly teach is in error or a "misspeak" by the writer.

As a woman, I don't find Paul to be the least bit chaunistic or unfair to women. I believe that he taught correctly how women are to be treated and how we are to act. However...

Yep, I do have an "however"...

I do think that we can place some of Paul's writings as being contextual to the time and place...such as women not being able to teach men. He highly respected Priscillia and Priscilla taught Apollos. So, we need to examine these passages (as we do with ALL other passages in the Scriptures) within the full light that the Scriptures bring to the issue. Paul was writing to the Corinthians and to the Ephesians to correct some things that were problematic in those churches. Obviously he never meant for his words to be interpreted as that women should never open their mouths to say anything in church, because he also exhorted the Corinthian women to cover their heads when they prayed or prophesied. Also, in his other writings, he shows great respect and love for the women who worked along beside him in his ministry.

As a woman, what I learn from those passages to the Corinthians and to the Ephesians is that we women need to be very careful of how we handle ourselves with our freedom in the Lord. If we are in a situation (such as the women of Corinth and Ephesus were) where things we would do or say would cause problems, then we need to be circumspect. The same goes for men, but women have to be extra cautious at times, we just do. If there is anything unfair about this...it is because of the sinful world we live in. However, my "equal rights" are not as important as the gospel...I'm willing to forgo some "equality" (in the world's eyes) in order to keep the gospel on track.

Paul also said slaves should obey their masters. He was wrong again. As Christians, it is our responsibility to fight injustice, not bless it.
so i dont have to obey the law?

isnt my parents a master? my boss, then man with the badge.

sigh the bible was written to the audience for the time it was in. its called proper exegesis. would you have philemon slay his master for owning him? how about being a faithful steward so that the master would convert and free him. which did happen as philemon was free to escape he voluntarily went back to his master.

no i am not saying the slavery is ok. but understand the way of the cross.
sometimes suffering is needed for the kingdom. paul understand that he couldnt change society but he could save one soul.

I do think that we can place some of Paul's writings as being contextual to the time and place...such as women not being able to teach men. He highly respected Priscillia and Priscilla taught Apollos. So, we need to examine these passages (as we do with ALL other passages in the Scriptures) within the full light that the Scriptures bring to the issue.

Bullseye. There were women teaching heresies in the church at that time - Gnosticism, if I remember correctly. Paul didn't live in the 20th century, and to judge him with a 21st century mindset is not only historically wrong but Biblically unsound.

so i dont have to obey the law?

isnt my parents a master? my boss, then man with the badge.

sigh the bible was written to the audience for the time it was in. its called proper exegesis. would you have philemon slay his master for owning him? how about being a faithful steward so that the master would convert and free him. which did happen as philemon was free to escape he voluntarily went back to his master.

no i am not saying the slavery is ok. but understand the way of the cross.
sometimes suffering is needed for the kingdom. paul understand that he couldnt change society but he could save one soul.

Exactly. Obeying your master was a good way to keep from getting killed at that time.

I'm a little surprised that a Christian would take the way slaves are spoken of by Paul and make them something they are not. I'm not surprised when those who intend to poke holes in scripture do it, but Christians?...

I thought within the Church, it was well understood that slavery was not the same as what we think of it today. As I understand it, Paul wasn't speaking to forced unpaid labor. He was speaking to slaves as they were in his time who were bound by a debt to another person and were working to pay this debt off; who were had lives similar to "free" people, had jobs, education, were free to come and go by day, had families, etc. Masters of this time were admonished to treat their slaves with care, and historical documentation notes that society was very critical of masters who were abusive to their slaves.

Elijah, I've always held you with regard, and this doesn't change that, but I don't understand how you can take these things you've cited out of context when you are very astute in scripture. Jennie, I'm unfamiliar with you, but I have to believe you're taking these things out of context as well.

To Handy's point, I'm confident that Paul and the penners of scripture erred in their lives. With Paul's emotional nature, I wouldn't be surprised if he got out of line quite often. He spoke to his struggle with sin, so we know he behaved in manners that didn't align with his faith. But the Words that were in scripture were Given to him by the Holy Spirit and couldn't have been misspoken.

The scripture referenced is not what you think

I Corinthians 14:35 "And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for woman to speak in the church."

When you read something of this nature and you are only of the English tongue, it should be obvious that something is missing from the Greek. Back in I Corinthians 11:5, 13 we were told that women were to pray and prophesy in the church. However they were to have the veil over them, which is to say "Christ in them" all of the time. Now did Paul change his mind? Of course not. The course or figure of speech that this was written in the Greek is saying, "woman should not chatter in the church while the service is going on". However this applies to men also. No one should chatter in the church during the service, not the women, nor the men or even the children.

Remember that the whole church is the bride of Christ so the order is given in the feminine gender, but applies to the entire bride of Christ. This is why women get a bad rap when the men do the interpretation of the Word. Chatter is a distraction to the one teaching, and also to those who are trying to learn something that may be a bit difficult to understand with clarity. The course of the subject is to convey the message from God's Word and chatter interferes with that course.

It seems to me that we are missing the point. The Word of God is the 'Testimony' of many 'Inspired' men giving Testimony in their own honest Inspired words of testimony. Otherwise why have four of what most call N.T. books? Even with the same INSPIRED Words all being somewhat different. Or why would the complete BOOK be required? Matt. 4:4 + 2 Tim. 3:16? And do not miss Isa. 28:9-10!!

I find only one Isa. 8:20 verse that God Himself gave His EXACT WORD! (which many want to also dump:crying) And it does tell of the TWO there!

--Elijah

I do believe that Paul misspoke at times. I also believe that Matthew, Mark, Luke and John did as well. As well as Moses, Elijah, Isaiah, and even Amos...they were all human and all prone to mistakes.

I just don't think that anything they ever wrote down that wound up in the Scriptures was misstated. I think the Holy Spirit not only inspired the writers of the Scriptures, but also divinely kept the Scriptures inerrant. I don't believe anything that the Scriptures clearly teach is in error or a "misspeak" by the writer.

As a woman, I don't find Paul to be the least bit chaunistic or unfair to women. I believe that he taught correctly how women are to be treated and how we are to act. However...

Yep, I do have an "however"...

I do think that we can place some of Paul's writings as being contextual to the time and place...such as women not being able to teach men. He highly respected Priscillia and Priscilla taught Apollos. So, we need to examine these passages (as we do with ALL other passages in the Scriptures) within the full light that the Scriptures bring to the issue. Paul was writing to the Corinthians and to the Ephesians to correct some things that were problematic in those churches. Obviously he never meant for his words to be interpreted as that women should never open their mouths to say anything in church, because he also exhorted the Corinthian women to cover their heads when they prayed or prophesied. Also, in his other writings, he shows great respect and love for the women who worked along beside him in his ministry.

As a woman, what I learn from those passages to the Corinthians and to the Ephesians is that we women need to be very careful of how we handle ourselves with our freedom in the Lord. If we are in a situation (such as the women of Corinth and Ephesus were) where things we would do or say would cause problems, then we need to be circumspect. The same goes for men, but women have to be extra cautious at times, we just do. If there is anything unfair about this...it is because of the sinful world we live in. However, my "equal rights" are not as important as the gospel...I'm willing to forgo some "equality" (in the world's eyes) in order to keep the gospel on track.

Very good explanation! :)

Back