Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Discussion and Questions and Comments on Lesson 2

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Jim;
What is the basis used to identify God's phrase, "Be fruitful and multiply" as a commandment and not just a blessing? Sort of like when we wish someone to do well we might say, "Break a leg." That's certainly not an order.

True, that' a good point too I didn't think of that.

Jim;
What is the basis used to identify God's phrase, "Be fruitful and multiply" as a commandment and not just a blessing? Sort of like when we wish someone to do well we might say, "Break a leg." That's certainly not an order.
Good point. It appears that the statements are imperatives as well as blessings.
Gen 1:22 And God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.”
copyChkboxOff.gif
Gen 1:28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
copyChkboxOff.gif
Gen 9:1 So God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth."

The "blessing" is also a statement of His will.

And, in the contrary, death is evil as is murder and the sacrifice of children to pagan gods.

Question 12, about chiasm. I test pretty well and come up with correct answers, but I don't really understand this.

The very first time I read through this section, I got the sense there was a bigger picture than what I was seeing. Perhaps that was the Holy Spirit nudging me to look closer and see the chiasm?

Maybe going through the details is beyond the scope of this class, and lesson 2F is a starting point for individual study?

While I realize there isn't anything Salvific to discover, God still says His people suffer due to a lack of knowledge. I'd rather not be on that road, and it seems like good stuff awaits here ...

Question 12, about chiasm. I test pretty well and come up with correct answers, but I don't really understand this.

The very first time I read through this section, I got the sense there was a bigger picture than what I was seeing. Perhaps that was the Holy Spirit nudging me to look closer and see the chiasm?

Maybe going through the details is beyond the scope of this class, and lesson 2F is a starting point for individual study?

While I realize there isn't anything Salvific to discover, God still says His people suffer due to a lack of knowledge. I'd rather not be on that road, and it seems like good stuff awaits here ...
A full discourse on the use of the chiasmus in the Bible is presented in Before Abraham Was by Kikowada and Quinn.

Back