Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Dislike for popular church music

I've seen videos and been to some churches where the music is intolerable for me (the guitar, drums, vocalist, that type of setup). I see people jumping and shouting to the music, but I cannot get into it.

Music seems to be the same in almost all of the churches, so I guess I can't really worship God in this way, is that a bad thing?

I've seen videos and been to some churches where the music is intolerable for me (the guitar, drums, vocalist, that type of setup). I see people jumping and shouting to the music, but I cannot get into it.

Music seems to be the same in almost all of the churches, so I guess I can't really worship God in this way, is that a bad thing?

what type of music do you prefer?

welcome to cf.net.

Not knowing where you live or how much you restrict your denomination or nondenominational preferences, it's hard for me to say. But in most areas, I believe it wouldn't be hard to find a church with more traditional music for people such as yourself. My church has a range of service styles from contemporary to progressive. I agree that the jumping around would be distracting to my worship, but I don't mind more progressive music. My preference is the traditional hymns, but I can take the newer up-beat music. Just not so loud that I can't hear myself sing. (My kids would prefer it so that no one can hear me sing. :D )

Don't know what area you are in, but where i am there are churches that only use traditional hymns played on an organ, churches that only use contemporary music, and many that use various combinations of the two. Are you sure there really are none that you could worship at? Maybe with a little bit more tolerance for the tastes of some of the others who worship there as well you could find an acceptable one? Not all of the more conntemporary songs involve loud instruments and people jumping around. I like traditional hymns myself but find there are many of the more contemporary ones that are just as worshipful. It would be a shame not to worship because of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input. I'm 22 but as far as music tastes go I love classical music and it seems I am more like the older crowd which is into choir singing, organ/piano playing type of setups (maybe this is a stereotype with the older crowd, I'm not sure).

I want to be in a younger church, but it seems very proud and arrogant of me to not worship God with music because I dislike the style. Anyone else feel this way?

This is how we are taught in scripture to worship.

We are taught to use all musical instruments to glorify God, to dance, sing, shout, stomp and spin.

Did you know that God does this too? One of the Hebrew words for joy (I think there are at least three of them) means to spin wildly, and it is the same word that is used when God is described as singing/dancing over us with joy in Zephaniah. It is an ACTION word!

If we do not worship God with all our hearts, minds and bodies, we are not fully engaging the way we are commanded in scripture.

If you can celebrate and cheer for your favourite basketball team, you can do the same---and more---for God.

This is how we are taught in scripture to worship.

We are taught to use all musical instruments to glorify God, to dance, sing, shout, stomp and spin.

Did you know that God does this too? One of the Hebrew words for joy (I think there are at least three of them) means to spin wildly, and it is the same word that is used when God is described as singing/dancing over us with joy in Zephaniah. It is an ACTION word!

If we do not worship God with all our hearts, minds and bodies, we are not fully engaging the way we are commanded in scripture.

If you can celebrate and cheer for your favourite basketball team, you can do the same---and more---for God.

Mmmm... gonna have to disagree. A person can and should worship in truth and honesty; not by any certain design. If a person prefers quite reflection, and approaches the Lord in Spirit and in Truth, I believe He blesses this. If they are lead to jump and spin, it wouldn't be in Truth if they held back. I don't believe a church service can be compared to a sporting event where you are cheering a team on. A worship service can be in quiet meditation and deep prayer.

cos, I wouldn't call it being proud to have a worship style that fosters a greater experience. God designed us how we are, and knows us. If we're "faking" something we don't feel in response to particular music, this would be more of a concern to me. Whatever puts you in THAT place where you are putting Him in the Highest Place, is good for you - and the Glory be to God. :twocents

We are to worship Him even when we do not feel like it. Feelings are not what we live by. We are to allow ourselves to be taught BY HIM how to worship Him with abandon. Why? Because He loves it and relishes in it, and He is present in it.

Secondly---we are blessed by it also.

Thirdly---if there are worship leaders who are leading us to worship with abandon, with our hearts, voices and bodies--then we are to allow ourselves to be led, and not refuse their leadership. They are performing a function in the church before the Lord---leading the body of Christ into the heart of God in worship.

Mmmm... gonna have to disagree. A person can and should worship in truth and honesty; not by any certain design. If a person prefers quite reflection, and approaches the Lord in Spirit and in Truth, I believe He blesses this. If they are lead to jump and spin, it wouldn't be in Truth if they held back. I don't believe a church service can be compared to a sporting event where you are cheering a team on. A worship service can be in quiet meditation and deep prayer.

cos, I wouldn't call it being proud to have a worship style that fosters a greater experience. God designed us how we are, and knows us. If we're "faking" something we don't feel in response to particular music, this would be more of a concern to me. Whatever puts you in THAT place where you are putting Him in the Highest Place, is good for you - and the Glory be to God. :twocents

I agree with Mike.
<O:p
I can’t stand load noises and this definitely includes music. I prefer to keep the noise and commotion down to a level where it doesn’t make my stomach turn. I attend a conservative church and I’m comfortable with the music there.<O:p</O:p

We are to worship Him even when we do not feel like it. Feelings are not what we live by. We are to allow ourselves to be taught BY HIM how to worship Him with abandon. Why? Because He loves it and relishes in it, and He is present in it.

Secondly---we are blessed by it also.

Thirdly---if there are worship leaders who are leading us to worship with abandon, with our hearts, voices and bodies--then we are to allow ourselves to be led, and not refuse their leadership. They are performing a function in the church before the Lord---leading the body of Christ into the heart of God in worship.

Not all are that way. in worship(this has happened to some) God tells you alone, stop. pray for that man in the front who is weeping. he is in a trial.

and so on. that isnt in disobediance is it.

and last time i checked the church isnt the u.s. army where being an indivual is looked down upon.

its unity not uniformity.

i dont stand all the time or even dance(yet).God is and will change that but thats him not men.

i know some of the most quiet men or women in worship at times and they have the most profound joy.

who says we have to always be loud and joyous, what about the times of somber thanks and reflection

if i just lost my wife to cancer and came to church. I AM NOT going to be leaping for joy, in fact i may be in tears or depressed or will weep during service and crying to God to give me strength.

I lean toward what Mike said too. :yes

I am always reminded of my favorite Adrian Rogers quote:

"A spiritual experience is more than just an emotional burp."

I know there is the David example of worship, but I am also reminded of the word "sober" as it is used in many NT passages

and I'm reminded of this too...

Psa 46:10

I agree with Mike.
<O:p
I can’t stand load noises and this definitely includes music. I prefer to keep the noise and commotion down to a level where it doesn’t make my stomach turn. I attend a conservative church and I’m comfortable with the music there.<O:p</O:p

It isn't quiet or conservative in heaven. How will you cope?

Not all are that way. in worship(this has happened to some) God tells you alone, stop. pray for that man in the front who is weeping. he is in a trial.

and so on. that isnt in disobediance is it.

and last time i checked the church isnt the u.s. army where being an indivual is looked down upon.

its unity not uniformity.

When we are called to worship, we worship. That is unity.

i dont stand all the time or even dance(yet).God is and will change that but thats him not men.

You can change that.

i know some of the most quiet men or women in worship at times and they have the most profound joy.

That's good.

who says we have to always be loud and joyous, what about the times of somber thanks and reflection

God says it. Somber thanks and reflection isn't praise and worship in the context we are discussing.

if i just lost my wife to cancer and came to church. I AM NOT going to be leaping for joy, in fact i may be in tears or depressed or will weep during service and crying to God to give me strength.

I have had the most sublime experiences in worship to God when I have been in mourning, or even ill. I don't stop shouting or dancing before my Lord, no matter what my feelings say or how they object. I will obey Him and so they must move aside...joy and healing comes.

I more than agree with your assesment. I find this as an 'celebration' by David, not Worship.

[12] And it was told king David, saying, The LORD hath blessed the house of Obed-edom, and all that pertaineth unto him, because of the ark of God. So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom into the city of David with gladness.

[13] And it was so, that when they that bare the ark of the LORD had gone six paces, he sacrificed oxen and fatlings.

[14] And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

[15] So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

[16] And as the ark of the LORD [came into the city] of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw 'king' David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart. (this was very sad of her! but that still does not make this a worship in church service)

Evidently she thought that a 'king' was beside himself doing this? Ether way, it still was not a Worship service. (as 'i' see it) If any would just check out worship from Psalms alone, they might find David with another mind set?

--Elijah

I don't know about you, Elijah, but when I come before God (anytime, whether in some service or in my living room) I am celebrating when I worship Him! I take my instruction from God through David, who was a man after God's own heart.

Hallelujah! Glory to God!

When we are called to worship, we worship. That is unity.

You can change that.

That's good.

God says it. Somber thanks and reflection isn't praise and worship in the context we are discussing.

I have had the most sublime experiences in worship to God when I have been in mourning, or even ill. I don't stop shouting or dancing before my Lord, no matter what my feelings say or how they object. I will obey Him and so they must move aside...joy and healing comes.

really i have had the most beatiful times with the lord when its me and no dancing, singing and showmanship . just me and my God in my car.

i wrote my testimony hear and composed in my head while listening to worship music.

worship isnt confined to music.

trust me i have done it with calculus!!

learn that stuff and you will see the glory of the order God instills.

i dont see worship as big kata.

trust me i have has some deep worship while being in afghanistan because sometimes men died and i wanted to enjoy all of God as i needed him.

no matter how you worships its what you put in that is worship.

didnt mary Give glory to God when she pondered things about the man John the baptist

are we not also to give THOUGHTS to the Lord.

thinking of him

what phillipians 4:8

whatsover is pure... etc... THINK of these things!

does that need music all the time?

or dancing.

i'm charismatic, raised (since my conversion)in it and never heard the command all must dance. its if you want to then you may do so,

really i have had the most beatiful times with the lord when its me and no dancing, singing and showmanship . just me and my God in my car.

That is like the God time we all have with Him. We are discussing corporate worship here. However, when we have our personal daily time with God we can dance and shout before Him also. Sometimes we must willfully do it, knowing He wants us to sacrifice to Him with our praise.

It's kind of hard to stomp and dance behind my steering wheel--although I want to!

worship isnt confined to music.
No, it is done with our lives, but again, we are talking about in corporate worship.

i'm charismatic, raised (since my conversion)in it and never heard the command all must dance. its if you want to then you may do so,
As a Charismatic believer, I can see through David that we are commanded to worship with all that we have---whether or not we want to. I surely don't think that Joshua's armed men and priests really felt like marching around Jericho seven times blowing their ram's horns...but they did it. In much the same way, our worship is a form of spiritual warfare also, and walls come down, and the enemy is put on notice when we discipline ourselves to do it. After only a short while it becomes a lovely blessing to do, knowing that we have touched the heart of God---He brings His presence to us!

I do not believe that we have a choice but to worship Him with all we've got.

where does it say in command form that all must worship in that afformentioned standard.

all at once i mean.

show me the verses and lets look.
i know them where they are but you tell me.

and i have been to a quiet worship where the holy spirit has literally asked the church be quiet and still for i will speak to you.

and we stopped and were silent and only prayed.

two songs sung before that happened.

doesnt the spirit never reapeat himself via the same thing.

according to pentacostal tradition?

and honestly alot of the dances and suchlike are some form of upmanship or a man reaching god with his flesh in worship.

ie and the lord said..huh(that thing) ones personality.

God allows use to have a personality and we are all unique and wont react to the lord the same.

that i can assure.

if you say praise the lord and i say praise the lord.

what praytell are we praising him for?

you might health, me a job.

same words different reasons.
why cant it be with worship.

That is like the God time we all have with Him. We are discussing corporate worship here. However, when we have our personal daily time with God we can dance and shout before Him also. Sometimes we must willfully do it, knowing He wants us to sacrifice to Him with our praise.

It's kind of hard to stomp and dance behind my steering wheel--although I want to!

No, it is done with our lives, but again, we are talking about in corporate worship.

As a Charismatic believer, I can see through David that we are commanded to worship with all that we have---whether or not we want to. I surely don't think that Joshua's armed men and priests really felt like marching around Jericho seven times blowing their ram's horns...but they did it. In much the same way, our worship is a form of spiritual warfare also, and walls come down, and the enemy is put on notice when we discipline ourselves to do it. After only a short while it becomes a lovely blessing to do, knowing that we have touched the heart of God---He brings His presence to us!

I do not believe that we have a choice but to worship Him with all we've got.

again is the church an army with uniforms, collective mentalities , and the pastor barks orders and we obey without question?

i am a staff sergeant united states army and have been on chapels where that isnt done at all. I have worship God with weapon in hand or by my side and bible in the other.

if i tell my soldiers do they best be doing this.

yes the lord has an army but i dont recall paul mentioning us a roman legionaries, guls, legets, and centurions.

nor does my pastor or any give out warnos and opords and fragos and so forth and make battle plans

i can be like you say all day if i have to but few would even attend such church.

ironic, ds alabaster fits you well.

i see the body a little different we submit out of love and not fear from the lord.

in the army its out of respect in part or fear of reprisal and my rank and those above me have the power to make life heck for the insorbidinate.

does said pastor have this power?should he?

yes i do believe in obediance as that is commanded but theres no mention of what means to worship in corporate at all in the nt.

name an order of service that is used today that is recorded in the nt.

where does it say in command form that all must worship in that afformentioned standard.

all at once i mean.

show me the verses and lets look.
i know them where they are but you tell me.

If you read the Psalms, there are countless instructions and calls to worship. I am not about to post them all here.

and i have been to a quiet worship where the holy spirit has literally asked the church be quiet and still for i will speak to you.

and we stopped and were silent and only prayed.

two songs sung before that happened.

doesnt the spirit never reapeat himself via the same thing.

according to pentacostal tradition?

There is nothing wrong with a people receiving an instruction from the Lord and obeying Him in that way.

In church we will often settle into a period of silence in worship. It is a holy moment, where the presence of God is thick. and hearts are being touched.

and honestly alot of the dances and suchlike are some form of upmanship or a man reaching god with his flesh in worship.

Are they? A lot of them? How many? You are opining and judging the hearts of others with no cause.

Back