Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Does James 2 Teach Works for Salvation?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

James 1:1 KJV​

“James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.”

James is specifically talking to the Jews which are 12 Tribes of Israel
Do you really think that means his message doesn't apply to anyone who is uncircumcised?

The Bible clearly states that it's not rhetorical but literal (it's not a parable, nor specify that it's metaphorical), James was speaking to the Jews and about End Times where they will be doing good works on top of their faith because they'll be constantly resisting the Mark of the Beast. Don't get me wrong, doing good works for the Lord is good and expected as a saved Christian, what I would like to point out is the Salvation doctrine is different per time period where we are save by grace through faith as stated in Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV in the Church Age (present):

Ephesians 2:8-9​

King James Version​

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

And after the Church Age and during the 7 year Tribulation, you can now apply James 2 for salvation: faith + good works. Else you will have contradictions with Paul's gospels. And woe to Paul if Salvation is Faith + Good Works

Romans 7:24-25
King James Version

24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
Paul's "works" were of the Law of Moses.
Specifically: circumcision, dietary rules, sabbath keeping, tithing, feast keeping, etc.
None of those things could "save" a man.

In Rom 7, Paul had already written that he was no longer in the flesh. (Rom 7:5)
So verse 25 is the result of the separation from the "flesh" so he could henceforth walk in the Spirit.
And verse 24 was already answered in Rom 6:6..."Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin."

James wrote:

James 2:1: "My brothers, do not be-holding the faith (of) our Lord Jesus Christ (of) glory with receiving-of-face."

Did his audience not belong to the church of Jesus Christ if they had the faith of Jesus Christ?

Cephas was condemned by Paul for not including Gentiles with Jews, as someone not walking in accordiance with the good news when Cephas was doing that!

Galatians 2:11: "And when Cephas came to Antioch, I-opposed (him) to his face — because he-was condemned."

Galatians 2:12: "For before certain (ones) came from James, he-was-eating with the Gentiles. But when they-came, he-was-drawing-back and separating himself, fearing the (ones) of (the) circumcision."

Galatians 2:13: "And the other Jews also joined-in-hypocrisy (with) him, so-that even Barnabas was-carried-away (by) their hypocrisy."

Galatians 2:14: "But when I-saw that they were not walking-straight with-regard-to the truth (of) the good-news, I-said (to) Cephas in-front-of everyone — “If you being (a) Jew are-living Gentile-ly and not Jewish-ly, how (is it) you-are-compelling the Gentiles to-Judaize?”"
Welcome to the site.
Where is Drulingen?

Yes you can as it all starts with God's free gift of grace, (in which none of us deserve), by faith which is Christ Jesus in whom our faith rest in His finished works. There are not works involved with receiving a free gift from God.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
How do we eliminate strife and confusion and come to a biblical understanding? Scripture says be if “one mind one heart” Rom 12:16 rom 15:16 2 cor 13:11 Phil 1:27
We need to lose the us verses them mentality and scripture say we must be taught or instructed!
Lk 1:4
Matt 28:19
Jn 20:21
Acts 8:31
Colossians 2:7

Hopefully we can help each other find that biblical understanding!

Okay thanks

Does eph 2 teach all men are saved? Or does eph 2 refer to redemption already accomplished by Christ?

Eph 2:1 and 2:5 say he quickend us, how did he do so or what does it refer to? How does one put on Christ?

What is it about "by grace you have been saved" that you don't understand?
Do you think it refers to you’re being saved?
When we’re you saved?

Btw I am not denying the necessity grace, for without grace there can be no salvation!

How do we eliminate strife and confusion and come to a biblical understanding? Scripture says be if “one mind one heart” Rom 12:16 rom 15:16 2 cor 13:11 Phil 1:27
We need to lose the us verses them mentality and scripture say we must be taught or instructed!

Okay thanks

Does eph 2 teach all men are saved? Or does eph 2 refer to redemption already accomplished by Christ?

Eph 2:1 and 2:5 say he quickend us, how did he do so or what does it refer to? How does one put on Christ?
It's critical to read Scripture in context. Here is Ephesians 2:1-10 (NRSVue): You were dead through the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among those who are disobedient. All of us once lived among them in the passions of our flesh, doing the will of flesh and senses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else, but God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God— not the result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we may walk in them.

So, it does not teach that all people are saved. Paul write that "All of us once lived among them" [the unsaved] and "we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else" and "For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we may walk in them." Clearly there is an us/them scenario. We have been saved by God's grace -- HALLELUJAH! -- but others have not. God chose us by His grace to live in a certain manner -- as slaves to His righteous direction -- while others will die because they refused Him.

Do you think it refers to you’re being saved?
When we’re you saved?

Btw I am not denying the necessity grace, for without grace there can be no salvation!
Yes, it refers to my being saved (along with everyone else whom God has chosen).

I was saved in 1977. I was hospitalized with a very severe asthma attack; the doctors couldn't break the spasm. (At the time I was also a serious atheist.) A pastor with whom I had been arguing came to my room, read me some Scripture, and prayed "Jesus, heal this man". I was immediately healed -- the spasm broke -- and was flooded with an incredible feeling of warmth and love. I became a Christian at that very moment.

Short version!

It's critical to read Scripture in context. Here is Ephesians 2:1-10 (NRSVue): You were dead through the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among those who are disobedient. All of us once lived among them in the passions of our flesh, doing the will of flesh and senses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else, but God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God— not the result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we may walk in them.

So, it does not teach that all people are saved. Paul write that "All of us once lived among them" [the unsaved] and "we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else" and "For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we may walk in them." Clearly there is an us/them scenario. We have been saved by God's grace -- HALLELUJAH! -- but others have not. God chose us by His grace to live in a certain manner -- as slaves to His righteous direction -- while others will die because they refused Him.
But all are redeemed! Christ is the sole redeemer of the world, then we must by faith and baptism accept his redemption and then sanctification and then if we endure to the end salvation!

Redemption: 100 percent the work of God, thru the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ! All mankind are redeemed in Christ! Eph 2
Galatians 2:16 3:13
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law...
Christ alone accomplished the redemption of mankind apart from any works on our part!

(Redemption is not Salvation)
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Justification: our acceptance of redemption thru faith and baptism! Become a disciple and member of Christ and His Church! Jn 3:5 acts 2:38 Mk 16:16 He who believes and is baptized shall be saved. 1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Sanctification: the life of grace in the holy sacrifice of the mass and sacraments, prayer, virture, and good works, the just living by faith, and faith working thru love! Phil 1:29 called to suffer with Christ.
All done in Christ thru His grace! Jn 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Salvation: a christian in the state if grace at the moment of death we enter into the salvation of the Lord! Mt 24:44-47 faithful servant! Jn 15:1-5 abide in me. Mt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Heb 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
Heb 4:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Rom 13:11 ...for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

Suffering required for glorification with Christ!

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Justification and salvation are not the same rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Jn 15:1-5 abide in Him
Hope this helps

It is the revelation of Jesus Christ and the teaching of his one true church! Matt 28:19 Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5 acts 2:38-39 acts 8-12 Acts 8:36-38 acts 22-16

We are referring to justification not salvation.

Redemption:
The redemption was accomplished by Christ with no participation on our part!

Justification:
then when we believe in him and his redemption we are justified in that faith and baptism!

Sanctification:
then we are in Christ and his church by grace faith and baptism we practice good works (prayer, alms, fasting, virtues charity, other sacraments etc.

At the hour of death separation from the grace of God by apostasy / rejection of Christ or failing to repent of serious sin a man is lost in damnation! Or

Salvation:
Is for those who are faithful and die in the grace of God united to Christ and in his saints at death enter into eternal salvation!

Titus 2:14
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, (redemption) and purify unto himself a peculiar people, (justification / baptism notice purify / wash) Jn 3:5 zealous of good works. (Sanctification) Matt 24:13 endures to the end Shall be saved.

More on baptism:

Baptism is the initiation of the new and eternal covenant!

You cannot enter on you’re own or by “faith alone”!

You cannot receive Christ or grace by “faith alone”!

“Accept Christ as you’re personal lord and savior” is fundamentalist baptist tradition not found scripture!

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Baptismal regeneration a new creation in Christ! 2 Cor 5:17

A sacrament is an oath! A sacred promise from God! Ez 36:25-27
Acts 2:38-39 (this promise)

No baptism no grace!

A sacrament is an outward sign for all men including infants And a gift from God to help us see what he does inwardly and invisibly by his grace!

As grace Washes our souls in the merits of Jesus blood from original and personal sin, so the outward action of washing is visible!

without the outward action the inward action cannot take place!

Jn 3:5 Titus 3:5 water and washing
acts 22:16 wash away your sin!

Jn 3:5 Born again BY water and the spirit! Not by “faith alone”!

They did not go to Jerusalem and preach “accept Christ as you’re personal Lord and savior “

They went to the river (water) and they baptized! Jn 3:22

A covenant requires an outward sign of the inward action of grace!

Ez 36:25 I will sprinkle you with clean water and you shall be made white as snow.

Acts 22:16 washing away your sins.

Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

1 pet 3:21 baptism saves you.

You cannot enter on you’re own or by faith alone!

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Heb 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Baptism!

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38 eph 2

Born again! Born from above!

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by God thru baptism!

Christ instituted the holy church for the salvation of all men, (repent and believe the gospel, with the institution of the sacraments to convey grace to sanctify souls!

Effects of faith & baptism!

Ez 36:25-27 washed in baptism, with a new heart and the Spirit
Jn 3:5 born again in baptism
Mk 16:16 faith & baptist
Acts 2:38 repentance & baptism
Acts 8:36-38 faith & baptism
Acts 22:16 baptism washes away sin
Rom 6:3 died with Christ
Col 2:12 risen with Christ
1 cor 12:13 baptized into the church
Gal 3:27 by baptism put on Christ
2 Tim 1:10 eph 2:1 and 5 brought to life
2 cor 5:17 new creation
Eph 1:13 sealed by the Holy Spirit
Eph 4:5 one faith, one baptism
Eph 5:26 faith and baptism
Titus 3:5 baptismal regeneration
1 pet 1:2 washed in Christ’s blood
1 pet 2:9 the kingdom of light
1 pet 3:20-21 baptism saves us!

“Faith alone” accomplishes nothing!
1 cor 13:2 even all faith (alone) without charity avails NOTHING!!!

Faith and baptism!

Scripture says none of the things about “Faith alone”!

2 Peter 1:11
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The Christian sacrament of baptism is the Initiation into the new covenant and must be ministered to you by the apostles!

“Faith alone”

Questions

where does scripture says we have died with Christ by “faith alone”?

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

where does scripture say we are members of Christ and his church by “faith alone”?

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

where does scripture says we put on Christ by “faith alone”?

Galatians 3:27

Where does scripture say our sins are washed away by “faith alone”?

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

where does scripture say we are saved or justified by “faith alone”?

1 pet 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!

The only reference in scripture to “faith alone” is James 2:24 NOT BY “FAITH ALONE”?

How can you enter by your own if it must be ministered to you? Baptism is done unto you, “not do it yourself by faith alone”

Jn 3:5 born again by faith alone?

Where is “Accept Christ as your personal lord & savior” is found in scripture?

They did not go preaching this line but went immediately to the river and baptized Jn 3:22

And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Eph 4:5 one baptism

Why don’t it say one teeny tiny little act of “faith alone”???

When we first believed we are saved?

Romans 13:11
And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

How can salvation be nearer than when we first believed if you’re saved by believing?

1 pet 1:9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

Matt 24:13 endures to the end Shall be saved.

How can salvation happen when we first believed if it’s the end?

If salvation is by “faith alone” then faith would be the greatest!
1 cor 13:13 charity is the greatest!

Even all faith much less “faith alone” without charity avails nothing!
1 cor 13:2

“Faith alone” unbiblical!

You can add water baptism to your faith for salvation, God will not stop you!

But what you have done is nullify the Grace of God!

Rom. 11:6
"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."

Yes, it refers to my being saved (along with everyone else whom God has chosen).

I was saved in 1977. I was hospitalized with a very severe asthma attack; the doctors couldn't break the spasm. (At the time I was also a serious atheist.) A pastor with whom I had been arguing came to my room, read me some Scripture, and prayed "Jesus, heal this man". I was immediately healed -- the spasm broke -- and was flooded with an incredible feeling of warmth and love. I became a Christian at that very moment.

Short version!
I really don’t want you to get the idea that it’s me verses you or us verses them etc.

How can we eliminate strife and confusion and come to a biblical understanding? Scripture says be if “one mind one heart” Rom 12:16rom 15:16 2 cor 13:11 Phil 1:27
We need to lose the us verses them mentality and obey scripture which say we must be taught or instructed!

Eph 2 was already past tense when you say you got saved in 1977, and it does not refer to you’re faith, it says “not of yourselves”

This is not a Bible study it’s a covenant and the initiation into the covenant is faith and baptism!

Baptismal regeneration

Hope this helps
More scripture follows

Faith & Baptism is the initiation of the new and eternal covenant!

“Accept Christ as you’re personal lord and savior” is fundamentalist baptist tradition not found scripture!

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

No baptism no grace!

A sacrament is an outward sign for all men including infants And a gift from God to help us see what he does inwardly and invisibly by his grace!

As grace Washes our souls in the merits of Jesus blood from original and personal sin, so the outward action of washing is visible!

They did not go to Jerusalem and preach “accept Christ as you’re personal Lord and savior “

Ez 36:25 I will sprinkle you with clean water and you shall be made white as snow.

Heb 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Baptism!

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38 eph 2

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by God thru baptism!

Christ instituted the holy church for the salvation of all men, (repent and believe the gospel, with the institution of the sacraments to convey grace to sanctify souls!

Faith and baptism!

For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The Christian sacrament of baptism is the Initiation into the new covenant and must be ministered to you by the apostles!

“Faith alone”

Questions

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

where does scripture say we are members of Christ and his church by “faith alone”?

The only reference in scripture to “faith alone” is James 2:24 NOT BY “FAITH ALONE”?

How can you enter by your own if it must be ministered to you? Baptism is done unto you, “not do it yourself by faith alone”

They did not go preaching this line but went immediately to the river and baptized Jn 3:22

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

How can salvation be nearer than when we first believed if you’re saved by believing?

You can add water baptism to your faith for salvation, God will not stop you!

But what you have done is nullify the Grace of God!

Rom. 11:6
"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."
Why are you saying it’s works? you can’t baptize yourself!

No baptism no grace!

Baptism!

Faith and baptism!

“Faith alone”

Questions

Why is “faith alone” not a work?
You must choose (volition) to believe and keep believing until the end! Matt 24:13

You must confess with your mouth! Ah works! Rom 10:9

But all are redeemed! Christ is the sole redeemer of the world, then we must by faith and baptism accept his redemption and then sanctification and then if we endure to the end salvation!

Redemption: 100 percent the work of God, thru the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ! All mankind are redeemed in Christ! Eph 2
Galatians 2:16 3:13
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law...
Christ alone accomplished the redemption of mankind apart from any works on our part!

(Redemption is not Salvation)
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Justification: our acceptance of redemption thru faith and baptism! Become a disciple and member of Christ and His Church! Jn 3:5 acts 2:38 Mk 16:16 He who believes and is baptized shall be saved. 1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. Galatians 3:27

Sanctification: the life of grace in the holy sacrifice of the mass and sacraments, prayer, virture, and good works, the just living by faith, and faith working thru love! Phil 1:29 called to suffer with Christ.
All done in Christ thru His grace! Jn 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Salvation: a christian in the state if grace at the moment of death we enter into the salvation of the Lord! Mt 24:44-47 faithful servant! Jn 15:1-5 abide in me. Mt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Heb 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
Heb 4:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Rom 13:11 ...for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

Suffering required for glorification with Christ!

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Justification and salvation are not the same rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Jn 15:1-5 abide in Him
Hope this helps

Why are you saying it’s works? you can’t baptize yourself!

No baptism no grace!

Baptism!

Faith and baptism!

“Faith alone”

Questions

I agree that water baptism is a commandment of Christ, but that commandment must be properly carried out.

You are making that commandment a requirement for salvation. Did the ceremony of water baptism baptism die and shed it's blood for you? No, it did not, so why place faith in the work of another man for your salvation to be possible?

You are returning to Law with these commandments!

Okay thanks

There is no strife or confusion when you read that which has already been written instead of believing everything that comes out from the pulpit. Nowhere in these verses does it say we have to work for a free gift. Grace does not come by good works, but only comes from the mercy of God that gives everyone a chance to repent and turn back to Him before it's to late when Christ returns. Unfortunately not everyone will. Faith comes by hearing the word, but yet many refuse to hear as they would rather live by the lust of their flesh.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

This teaches that whosoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved as God's salvation comes only by His free gift of grace through faith. Christ is our faith as being God's grace even before the foundation of the world, 1Peter 1:18-25.

I really don’t want you to get the idea that it’s me verses you or us verses them etc.

How can we eliminate strife and confusion and come to a biblical understanding? Scripture says be if “one mind one heart” Rom 12:16rom 15:16 2 cor 13:11 Phil 1:27
We need to lose the us verses them mentality and obey scripture which say we must be taught or instructed!

<snip> (to save space...)

You wrote that "all are redeemed! Christ is the sole redeemer of the world, then we must by faith and baptism accept his redemption and then sanctification and then if we endure to the end salvation!"

I agree that all are redeemed but there is one step that is required: we must accept that redemption, i.e., that we are guilty of sin and deserving of death and eternal separation from God and need to pay the penalty, either 1) by accepting Christ's sacrifice as payment on our behalf, or 2) pay it ourselves. "For there is no distinction, since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus," Romans 3:22b-24. a) All have sinned, b) all are justified by His grace as a gift. However, one must accept the gift! If the gift of Christ's sacrifice and payment for sin isn't accepted, then the individual must pay the price.

Salvation is achieved through Jesus' sacrifice only; there is no other way. Acts 4:12, “There is salvation in no one else [other than Jesus], for there is no other name under heaven given among mortals by which we must be saved.” My added comment, of course.

I disagree with "Sanctification: the life of grace in the holy sacrifice of the mass and sacraments, prayer, virtue, and good works, the just living by faith, and faith working thru love!" If you go to mass and receive the sacraments, fine, then do so, but it is not a requirement for salvation. "Prayer, virtue, and good works, the just living by faith, and faith working thru love!" are all essential behaviors for Christians.

Suffering is not required for glorification with Christ! There is no redemption achieved by suffering at the hands of sinners. It it happens, it happens, and must be endured, but it is not a requirement. 1 Peter 3:13b-15, "Now who will harm you if you are eager to do what is good? But even if you do suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear what they fear, and do not be intimidated, but in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord."

2 Timothy 2:11-13, "The saying is sure:

If we have died with him, we will also live with him;
if we endure, we will also reign with him;
if we deny him, he will also deny us;
if we are faithless, he remains faithful—
he cannot deny himself."

Romans 5:1-11, "Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ [present tense!], through whom we have obtained access to this grace in which we stand, [present tense] and we boast in our hope of sharing the glory of God. And not only that, but we also boast in our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.

For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. Indeed, rarely will anyone die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person someone might actually dare to die. But God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us. Much more surely, therefore, since we have now been justified by his blood, will we be saved through him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more surely, having been reconciled, will we be saved by his life. But more than that, we even boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation."

Salvation is entirely a gift from God and we have received reconciliation with Him through our Lord Jesus Christ. Salvation is not achieved by "works" (by suffering, rituals, etc.); it is achieved entirely by God's gift!

You must choose (volition) to believe and keep believing until the end! Matt 24:13

Is the hearing of the Gospel and accepting the Gospel a work?

No, it's not! That's how Paul can say, "we are saved by Grace through faith, not of works."

If hearing and accepting the Gospel was a work (which is faith alone), then Paul could not say "not by works."

Faith alone is God's free gift of His grace through Christ Jesus. There are no works in receiving this gift by faith, but after faith comes good works. We do not work for salvation, but after faith we then continue in the good works of the Lord. If you are working for your salvation then you have no idea what grace means. All God wants from us is to love Him and Jesus and to love, pray and help those in need.

Rom 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Let me ask you this. What are the works you are talking about? How do you work for your salvation?

I put this in read as the very words Jesus spoke.

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
John 10:2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
John 10:3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
John 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
John 10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

SALVATION – delivered from sin, promise of our welfare brought about by faith in Christ Jesus.

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Titus 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior;
Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

REPENT - change, transform, transfigure, reconsider

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:39 for the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

GRACE
- undeserved, unmerited favor, Gods willingness to give us His power and ability even though we do not deserve it.

Titus 2:11 for the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Titus 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ;
Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
Titus 2:15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Mercy - Moves with compassion, Gods unconditional love towards us

Exodus 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.

2Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

There are no scriptures that say we have to work for our free gift of God's grace through faith in Christ Jesus who is our salvation before the foundation of the world.

Do you really think that means his message doesn't apply to anyone who is uncircumcised?
The scriptures can have double application, but the Salvation doctrine for the Church Age is still by faith alone, not faith + works, I don't diminish the importance of doing good works as I mentioned, good works in the Church Age is the basis of getting crown and rewards in the Judgement Seat of Christ when we're caught up with Him in the Rapture

Back