Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does man naturally have ability to Seek God ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What about the 7th commandment, thou shalt not covet, was that couched in that commandment ? Did eve covet something forbidden by God. Scripture said she:

Okay, I am confused. Remind me again what your primary point was that started us down this road because right now, I can't remember what it was? My primary point was simply what Paul had said -- that without law sin is dead, and that it was Christ who took us out from under it; that is, the law being the law of sin and death. Hence, no sin can be imputed to those who have been/will become saved by Christ. Do you do believe that, right?
Regarding the above, I am having difficulty superimposing and distinguishing laws/commandments that occurred a long after the commandment not to eat of the tree yet finding them in it. I think that argument could be made for anything if we look hard enough and dissect it into small enough pieces. To me, if God had wanted to make visible or imply any other commandments or laws at that time, why wouldn't He simply have come out and stated them then and there? I think the commandment not to eat is intended to be taken at face value and no more, or less; that is, He meant simply don't eat the fruit of the tree, period.
Why do you place so much weight and focus on the commandments? I know you realize they we all satisfied in/by Christ and no longer a factor as far as salvation is concerned, right?

What is the New Law Roger ?
That God will write His law into the hearts and minds of those whom He has chosen to save, and that
law is Christ.

[Heb 10:12, 14, 16-18 KJV]
12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; ...
14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. ...
16 This [is] the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
18 Now where remission of these [is, there is] no more offering for sin.

And the reason why I say you are confusing, its because the whole of this discussion was based upon your premise i thought was no law was broken until they discovered their nakedness' with shame.
Actually, that's not what I meant to say, and so didn't convey it well enough. What I meant in long form was that
the law of sin and death (which I also refer to as the law of law) happened at the eating, which they, and all mankind, were then under its authority. All who are under the law of sin and death (which all were before becoming saved) are guilty before God just by the fact they're under it (by the action of Adam and Eve), just as those under the law of the Spirit of life are sinless solely because they're under it. All committed sin is an outgrowth and result of that law. In a way (and I want to be very careful of how I state this), it, in its way, manifests the same pattern as those who are under grace in its way; that is, depending upon the law one is under (either the law Spirit of life in Christ Jesus or the law of sin and death), fruit appropriate to, and because of, that particular law, is manifested by those under it. For example, just as those whom God has placed under the law of the Spirit of life in Christ and are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and therefore bring forth and manifest the good fruit of the Spirit, so too do those under the law of sin and death bring forth sin from Satan as its fruit - usually as works. Going back to the nakedness in the garden, their nakedness wasn't their sin, however, their sin was in their believing they could negate their nakedness through their work (or actions). That belief had been manifested to them by the law they were under: the law of sin and death.
Now, do I believe that I have it all down exactly perfectly? Nope, but I think that if I don't, that I'm on the right track.
Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, brightfame52
Roger

And the reason why I say you are confusing, its because the whole of this discussion was based upon your premise i thought was no law was broken until they discovered their nakedness' with shame.
I should have also included in my last reply that upon the eating, Adam and Eve were both instantaneously and simultaneously by so doing placed under the law of sin and death and accounted to have sinned.

What is the New Law Roger ?
This too regarding the new law:

[Heb 7:18-19 KJV]
18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope [did]; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

roger

Okay, I am confused. Remind me again what your primary point was that started us down this road because right now, I can't remember what it was?

Im not sure but it was something you said Im sure .

My primary point was simply what Paul had said -- that without law sin is dead, and that it was Christ who took us out from under it; that is, the law being the law of sin and death. Hence, no sin can be imputed to those who have been/will become saved by Christ. Do you do believe that, right?

Yeah I believe that, the sins of elect, which they incurred in Adam and in themselves have been imputed to Christ, He dealt with them, they were never imputed to the elect, hence Rom 4:8
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Regarding the above, I am having difficulty superimposing and distinguishing laws/commandments that occurred a long after the commandment not to eat of the tree yet finding them in it. I think that argument could be made for anything if we look hard enough and dissect it into small enough pieces. To me, if God had wanted to make visible or imply any other commandments or laws at that time, why wouldn't He simply have come out and stated them then and there? I think the commandment not to eat is intended to be taken at face value and no more, or less; that is, He meant simply don't eat the fruit of the tree, period.

Yeah I disagree, I believe the whole law of God was given in seed form, couched in that initial commandment. When they disobeyed that one command, in essence they sinned against the entire moral law of God. And immediately thereon they and the elect in them died to God. The Law had been violated !

Why do you place so much weight and focus on the commandments? I know you realize they we all satisfied in/by Christ and no longer a factor as far as salvation is concerned, right?

Im just going with the flow of your input. My main emphasis in this thread is that man naturally doesnt have the ability or even the desire to seek the True God. And of course I know that the Laws condemnation and its righteous demands have been completely satisfied by Christ for His Elect, and them only by the way ! In fact, I believe the elect are Justified before God by what Christ did, when they are born into this world, wicked sinners, do you believe that ?

Im just going with the flow of your input. My main emphasis in this thread is that man naturally doesnt have the ability or even the desire to seek the True God. And of course I know that the Laws condemnation and its righteous demands have been completely satisfied by Christ for His Elect, and them only by the way ! In fact, I believe the elect are Justified before God by what Christ did, when they are born into this world, wicked sinners, do you believe that ?

I believe that but am not sure about the "when". I definitely believe God wrote the names of those He chose into the book of life from the foundation of the world, but as far as when actual justification occurred, I am uncertain. I am certain, however, that it would and will occur. The reasons I'm unsure are Paul's statements in Romans (and possibly other places - can't recall them all right now though). Anyway, I certainly hope what you've said is correct and have no reason to doubt you and would definitely be more than happy to find it true for certain because it would resolve questions and inconsistencies that I have in my mind right now. I see what you're saying above but haven't looked at it quite that way before.

[Rom 8:2-3 KJV]
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

[Rom 5:9 KJV] 9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

roger

That God will write His law into the hearts and minds of those whom He has chosen to save, and that
law is Christ.

12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; ...
16 This [is] the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

I believe that law Is the Gospel/Faith. The Gospel is referred to as the Law I believe here Isa 2:3

And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

Thats why Paul says the word is nigh thee, in thy heart Rom 10:8

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Perhaps James had this in mind here James 1:21
21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

That word engrafted means:

1. inborn, implanted by nature, implanted by others instruction

law is Christ.

Actually, that's not what I meant to say, and so didn't convey it well enough. What I meant in long form was that
the law of sin and death (which I also refer to as the law of law) happened at the eating, which they, and all mankind, were then under its authority. All who are under the law of sin and death (which all were before becoming saved) are guilty before God just by the fact they're under it (by the action of Adam and Eve), just as those under the law of the Spirit of life are sinless solely because they're under it. All committed sin is an outgrowth and result of that law. In a way (and I want to be very careful of how I state this), it, in its way, manifests the same pattern as those who are under grace in its way; that is, depending upon the law one is under (either the law Spirit of life in Christ Jesus or the law of sin and death), fruit appropriate to, and because of, that particular law, is manifested by those under it. For example, just as those whom God has placed under the law of the Spirit of life in Christ and are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and therefore bring forth and manifest the good fruit of the Spirit, so too do those under the law of sin and death bring forth sin from Satan as its fruit - usually as works. Going back to the nakedness in the garden, their nakedness wasn't their sin, however, their sin was in their believing they could negate their nakedness through their work (or actions). That belief had been manifested to them by the law they were under: the law of sin and death.
Now, do I believe that I have it all down exactly perfectly? Nope, but I think that if I don't, that I'm on the right track.
Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, brightfame52
Roger
Lol Thats a lot to digest young man ! I would have to read this perhaps a few more times to get an intelligible handle on it.

roger

[Rom 8:2-3 KJV]
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

The elect legally have always been free from the law of sin and death, for they became dead to the law by the body of Christ, simply meaning His death Rom 7:4

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

However the elect dont realize this in their unregenerate state, they like others are in bondage to the law. But once they are regenerated and receive the good news of the Gospel, then they are experientially freed from that bondage and then begin to grow in the knowledge of the liberty they have from Christ from the Law and its curse Gal 5:1

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. I believe this is what Rom 8:2 is speaking of !

Lol Thats a lot to digest young man ! I would have to read this perhaps a few more times to get an intelligible handle on it.

Yeah, I know - that's a problem I have. I could have probably said it in a sentence or two. Probably because my brain is too scattered and undisciplined - sorry about that.
My wife is always telling me that I'm way too verbose.

However the elect dont realize this in their unregenerate state, they like others are in bondage to the law. But once they are regenerated and receive the good news of the Gospel, then they are experientially freed from that bondage and then begin to grow in the knowledge of the liberty they have from Christ from the Law and its curse Gal 5:1

Absolutely - think you nailed it!

a fine played out case for free will

How is this video a case for free will?

Just came on this...
A thread that asks if man is able to seek God on his own when the entire bible makes it clear that he does seems uninteresting to me and self-aggrandizing.

roger

The elect legally have always been free from the law of sin and death, for they became dead to the law by the body of Christ, simply meaning His death Rom 7:4

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. I believe this is what Rom 8:2 is speaking of !
The elect have always been free from the law of sin and death?

What is ALWAYS?

Roger,

I believe that but am not sure about the "when". I definitely believe God wrote the names of those He chose into the book of life from the foundation of the world, but as far as when actual justification occurred, I am uncertain. I am certain, however, that it would and will occur. The reasons I'm unsure are Paul's statements in Romans (and possibly other places - can't recall them all right now though). Anyway, I certainly hope what you've said is correct and have no reason to doubt you and would definitely be more than happy to find it true for certain because it would resolve questions and inconsistencies that I have in my mind right now. I see what you're saying above but haven't looked at it quite that way before.

Roger, Justification can be looked at from different perspectives and they are all valid. and center in the Cross of Jesus Christ. I commend unto you an article that I believe sets forth these biblical perspectives: The writer is Bill Parker. Also when I recommend articles or writers, it doesnt automatically mean I endorse everything they teach or believe.

roger
What I meant in long form was that
the law of sin and death (which I also refer to as the law of law) happened at the eating,

Actually the Law existed prior to the eating, so when they ate they transgressed the law God had given them

which they, and all mankind, were then under its authority. All who are under the law of sin and death (which all were before becoming saved) are guilty before God just by the fact they're under it (by the action of Adam and Eve), just as those under the law of the Spirit of life are sinless solely because they're under it.

I can agree with this, but the elect I believe were never legally guilty before God, They became experientially guilty because they lost their innocence and became transgressors and in need of restoration, and dead to God. Remember for them Christ had already stood as their surety before the foundation of the world Rev 13:8

8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

So the condemnation of the elect at the sin of Adam their Natural head, was always charged to Christ, their condemnation and their guilt legally was His and God always looked to Him to satisfy their debt to His Law and Justice.

All committed sin is an outgrowth and result of that law. In a way (and I want to be very careful of how I state this), it, in its way, manifests the same pattern as those who are under grace in its way; that is, depending upon the law one is under (either the law Spirit of life in Christ Jesus or the law of sin and death), fruit appropriate to, and because of, that particular law, is manifested by those under it. For example, just as those whom God has placed under the law of the Spirit of life in Christ and are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and therefore bring forth and manifest the good fruit of the Spirit, so too do those under the law of sin and death bring forth sin from Satan as its fruit - usually as works

I can see this. We either walk according to the flesh, which is death, or according to the Spirit which is life and peace, Even the most sincere and honest and religious, if theu havent been born anew, are only bringing forth fruit unto death Rom 7:5-6

5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Remember Paul was speaking about his past life before conversion, he was a zealous religious man, even though himself blameless before the Law Phil 3

Now he says that was just the flesh, bringing forth fruit unto death,

Good fruit is walking according to the Faith of Jesus Christ, walking by Faith in what He has done to make us righteousness before God, having put away our sins, and imputing His Perfect Law keeping righteousness upon us.

And yes, the opposite of walking by Faith in Christ, is nothing but works, some how and some way they condition salvation on what man does !
Going back to the nakedness in the garden, their nakedness wasn't their sin, however, their sin was in their believing they could negate their nakedness through their work (or actions). That belief had been manifested to them by the law they were under: the law of sin and death.

I believe their sin was in their disobedience to Gods stated Law to them Rom 5:19

19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Now their attempt to hide their nakedness to me shows how we are naturally and attempt to make it by our own righteousness, for as it is written Prov 14:12

There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

We naturally try to hide our sinfulness !

To get on the right track we will be on the wrong track quite often, as long as the foundation is right, there is hope we will be lead into the truth. Christ must be that foundation, and to have that right is the gift of God.

Justification can be looked at from different perspectives
and just what would the different perspectives ? we are JUSTIFIED the exact moment we are Born again .its the very act of being forgiven..by grace by faith and by the Blood
t I believe were never legally guilty before God, They became experientially guilty because they lost their innocence and became transgressors and in need of restoration, and dead to God

Roger, Justification can be looked at from different perspectives and they are all valid. and center in the Cross of Jesus Christ. I commend unto you an article that I believe sets forth these biblical perspectives:
Thanks, brightfame52 - a very persuasive article. I will need to ponder it further though, as there is a lot to it. I will need reread (probably multiple times) to fully comprehend it.
Thanks again

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back