Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

does marriage contracts exist in bible?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Yes.
Then he called his daughter Sarah, and taking her by the hand he gave her to Tobias to be his wife, saying, “Here she is; take her according to the law of Moses, and take her with you to your father.” And he blessed them. Next he called his wife Edna, and took a scroll and wrote out the contract; and they set their seals to it.
(Tobit 7:13-14 - RSVCE)

Yes.
Then he called his daughter Sarah, and taking her by the hand he gave her to Tobias to be his wife, saying, “Here she is; take her according to the law of Moses, and take her with you to your father.” And he blessed them. Next he called his wife Edna, and took a scroll and wrote out the contract; and they set their seals to it.
is that jesus talking ?

Yes.
what teaching of moses?????

what teaching of moses?????

Before the revelation (at Sinai), a man would meet a woman on the street and if both desired marriage, he would bring her into his home and have intercourse privately [without the testimony of witnesses] and she would become his wife. When the Torah was given, the Jews were instructed that in order to marry a woman, the man should "acquire her" in the presence of witnesses and then she would become his wife. As the Torah says, "when a man takes a woman and has intercourse with her." This taking is a positive commandment and is performed in one of three ways—with money, by contract, or by cohabitiation... and it is everywhere called kiddushin or erusin. And a woman who is "acquired" in one of these three ways is called mc'kudeshet or arusah [a betrothed woman]. And as soon as she is "acquired" and becomes betrothed, even though she has not cohabited and did not even enter the groom's home, she is a married woman. Anyone, other than her husband, who cohabits with her, is guilty of capital punishment. If he wishes to separate from her, he requires a divorce.

(https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/465162/jewish/The-Jewish-Marriage-Ceremony.htm)
Where it is in the Torah I don't know.

can you say me it
Yes marriage contracts existed in ancient times. Children were valued by their parents, for who they were, for there economic addition to the family and for there social value.
Marriage was not a love match, but a social or economic contract between families.
There are Jewish Web sites you can investigate for there views on ancient marriage practices.

does marriage contracts exist in bible?​

Deuteronomy 22 speaks of women who are pledged to be married and women who are not. A pledge signifies a contract between the man and a woman, and the woman's father who is giving her away in marriage.

Mary was such a woman. She was pledged to be married to Joseph. And when it appeared she had been unfaithful to Joseph he sought to divorce her quietly. They weren't even actually married yet but a divorce was in order in light of the pledge/contract they had to be married.

does marriage contracts exist in bible?​

Deuteronomy 22 speaks of women who are pledged to be married and women who are not. A pledge signifies a contract between the man and a woman, and the woman's father who is giving her away in marriage.

Mary was such a woman. She was pledged to be married to Joseph. And when it appeared she had been unfaithful to Joseph he sought to divorce her quietly. They weren't even actually married yet but a divorce was in order in light of the pledge/contract they had to be married.
They were actually married.
Jewish marriage was in two stages. After the first (which Mary was in) she was legally married. hence Joseph had to divorce her.

My understanding was that the betrothal was a legal agreement that would require officials dissolution and that generally required grounds because of the financial arrangements. Plus…

In some ancient cultures it seems men in particular could divorce their wives if they felt so inclined. Social and family bonds did more to keep the divorce rate down than the legal system.

My understanding was that the betrothal was a legal agreement that would require officials dissolution and that generally required grounds because of the financial arrangements. Plus…

In some ancient cultures it seems men in particular could divorce their wives if they felt so inclined. Social and family bonds did more to keep the divorce rate down than the legal system.
You are correct.
The two stages are called kiddushin and nisuin. Judaism 101 explains:
Kiddushin is far more binding than an engagement as we understand the term in modern English; in fact, Rambam speaks of a period of engagement before the kiddushin. Once kiddushin is complete, the woman is legally the wife of the man. The relationship created by kiddushin can only be dissolved by death or divorce. However, the spouses do not live together at the time of the kiddushin, and the mutual obligations created by the marital relationship do not take effect until the nisuin is complete.

The nisuin (from a word meaning "elevation") completes the process of marriage. The husband brings the wife into his home and they begin their married life together.

In the past, the kiddushin and nisuin would routinely occur as much as a year apart. During that time, the husband would prepare a home for the new family. There was always a risk that during this long period of separation, the woman would discover that she wanted to marry another man, or the man would disappear, leaving the woman in the awkward state of being married but without a husband. Today, the two ceremonies are normally performed together.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any place in the Bible that constitutes having to have a marriage license. Man incorporated this into the law. In the Hebrew tradition a mohar or dowry was paid to the father of the bride by the groom in exchange for the daughter, Exodus 22:17. Genesis 2:23-25 explains the bond of marriage. The two are united as one in the eyes of God. Ephesians 5:22-29 wives are to submit to their husbands as unto the Lord for the husband is the spiritual head of the wife. Man is the provider and protector of his family. Husbands, you are to love your wives like Christ loves his church. This is an unconditional love that looks on the inside of a person and not the adorning of the outside. It is a love with a pure heart.​

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any place in the Bible that constitutes having to have a marriage license. Man incorporated this into the law. In the Hebrew tradition a mohar or dowry was paid to the father of the bride by the groom in exchange for the daughter, Exodus 22:17. Genesis 2:23-25 explains the bond of marriage. The two are united as one in the eyes of God. Ephesians 5:22-29 wives are to submit to their husbands as unto the Lord for the husband is the spiritual head of the wife. Man is the provider and protector of his family. Husbands, you are to love your wives like Christ loves his church. This is an unconditional love that looks on the inside of a person and not the adorning of the outside. It is a love with a pure heart.​
Uhm the why have a pastor marry you?

In the past under Moses .a theocracy the state as the rabbis would write the contract .mom has my grandparents marriage contract . It's in Aramaic.

How would we verify any ones spouse
Definition of contract .oral and Written .

Marriage licenses are more modern. Back in the day….

There were generally incest rules to follow…families were generally involved so the states role was largely regulating marriage divorce etc. to protect property rights and deal with inner issues…

Divorce in ancient cultures tended to be disastrous for women and children. That’s one read Jesus Christ changed the rules.

Marriage licenses are more modern. Back in the day….

There were generally incest rules to follow…families were generally involved so the states role was largely regulating marriage divorce etc. to protect property rights and deal with inner issues…

Divorce in ancient cultures tended to be disastrous for women and children. That’s one read Jesus Christ changed the rules.
who says modern day divorce is any better for those?
answer its not. the father hardly pays if he doesnt care? i have grandkids by two men who have if ever paid . you can work cash and well jail you? ok then what?

im not saying that it should be ignored only that the state laws really dont solve much.

Whoa there. My point was that Jesus wants people to stay married except in really bad situations. He was doing it in part to protect women and children.

Uhm the why have a pastor marry you?

In the past under Moses .a theocracy the state as the rabbis would write the contract .mom has my grandparents marriage contract . It's in Aramaic.

How would we verify any ones spouse
Definition of contract .oral and Written .
Well, I did say I could be wrong as I was hoping someone would show me some scripture about having a marriage license/contract.

Well, I did say I could be wrong as I was hoping someone would show me some scripture about having a marriage license/contract.
implied . implied is quite different then argument of silence.

so i ask why should take your word if there is no witnesss that you are married?escpecially if there is no witness alive to verify?

it was done by a piece of paper that the rabbis had you sign, and it was in aramiac, a tradition they did from the diaspora in babylon. before that it was all in hebrew. you signed it and the first night together was verfied by the rabbi, that is now just a quick tradition done in the temple as i have photos of that ceremony of my grandparents with the the cermonial throwing of plates and the temple of persons crushing them, that is symbolize that once its broken it is very hard to put back together, in fact its final. an oral tradition that speaks of commiment that is very old.

Back