Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Ecclesiastes, A Bible Study by Chopper & Reba.

Life would really stink if nothing made you happy.
Very true. Equally true is the fact that the only thing over which God has given us full control is our thoughts.

Therefore you and I can deliberately focus our thoughts on those things which will make us happy, while clearing our minds from negativity. Please note:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8).

In this context, Ecclesiastes is overall depressing, Proverbs is extremely edifying, and Song of Solomon is a reminder that the Church is the Bride of Christ and will become the Wife of the Lamb.

Neh 8:9 And Nehemiah, which is the Tirshatha, and Ezra the priest the scribe, and the Levites that taught the people, said unto all the people, This day is holy unto the LORD your God; mourn not, nor weep. For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the law.
Neh 8:10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.

O my, I've studied that portion of Scripture several times and I almost weep with Joy over the reaction of the people when they heard the Word of Jehovah their Elohim....Like you, I still have my morning cup of coffee with our Heavenly Father. I continue to have studies in the Old Covenant and New Covenant. Presently I'm in Deuteronomy and Matthew. The more I'm in God's Word, the more I'm drawn to it.

Off topic but here goes.. We look at the laws as a binding trap.. God says in them

Pro_6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psa 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

Off topic but here goes.. We look at the laws as a binding trap.. God says in them

Pro_6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psa 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

I love it!! Thank you. :hug

Here we go to our next segment of Scripture...

Ecclesiastes 2:12 "And I turned myself to behold wisdom, and madness, and folly: for what can the man do that cometh after the king? even that which hath been already done.
2:13 Then I saw that wisdom excelleth folly, as far as light excelleth darkness.
2:14 The wise man's eyes are in his head; but the fool walketh in darkness: and I myself perceived also that one event happeneth to them all.
2:15 Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity.
2:16 For there is no remembrance of the wise more than of the fool for ever; seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the wise man? as the fool.
2:17 Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and vexation of spirit."

Solomon here compares wisdom with folly. It seems to me that Solomon is taking a fresh look at the two, in case he might have missed something. Now, King Solomon possessed everything a man would want. In the end, he determined that wisdom was better than all the pleasures of life.

Wisdom has two sides. One is to make one wise in all area's of life. The other is how to use that wisdom. Wisdom could be used for good or evil. Like night and day. If wisdom is used for folly, it amounts to nothing in the end. If used for good? It can benefit human kind with many advantages.

I think of Thomas Edison. He was considered stupid and useless by his early teachers. His Mother refused that knowledge and home schooled Thomas. He had a photographic memory, went to the museum of science and memorized the books there. As a result, he invented with his wisdom, many things that benefited mankind.

In the end, Solomon discovered that everything, whether wise or foolish, man is not remembered for either. So, life is vanity and all the same with the same results.

Personally, I see wisdom as a benefit, perhaps not for me, but for others, if I can just apply my wisdom to help others achieve their goals of living better than I did, my life will have been worth living.

Taking this from a personal level to the school system of today ... It is easy for me to see how foolish the system has become filling young people with superficial self worth..

Speaking of happiness.. if we're not finding true happiness perhaps we're using the wrong formula..

Ecclesiastes 3: 1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

i find that formula in...

Proverbs 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.

15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.

16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.

17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.

18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.

19 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.

20 By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.

21 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:

22 So shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace to thy neck.

23 Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble.

24 When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.

Question is are we using the formula God has given us?

When I got my third stripe I thought I would never be any wiser... I was playing the fool, as do so many today. Solomon, like me, became, at some point, so full of himself that nobody nor anything ment more to himself than himself. That is a dark and disappointing place to find oneself and t fills a body with the need to claw out of that place.

Like Chopper, I found contentment in helping others. This came about just as I was seeking the God I knew was calling me out of the World and the first person I gave all I had to give to was a Central American Lady with no husand and seven children.

The lady lived next door to the girl I had married when she was 18 and she booted me when she was 27. That winter we had a very unusual hard freeze and this poor woman knew nothing of dripping water to prevent her copper pipes from bursting and burst it did.

Being a musician, her Sheriff boyfriend was my friend and he knew I could fix the pipe and asked me to. I spent most of the day there, for 25 dollars, and my not yet divorced wife cursed me out and filed the next day for a divorce.

I believe by the time Solomon penned these words, that he knew doing a good thing can cost a man a lot, just as I discovered, that day. I, seemingly, unlike Solomon, discovered myself that day and since have lived to do no more than to help others. But as Solomon is saying to me, you must be ready for all the results or you, like Solomon, will cry the Vainity Blues.

Is wisdom the same thing as intelligence?

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, because a lot of stuff we are taught that add to our intellect are laced with lessons that someone else learned from to be wiser about. Being trained in any industry from medicine to construction has both the training for a person's intellect that also has wise reasons for being taught. But I agree with Reba and Th1b.Talor, there is a difference. Wisdom is knowing how to use what you know, and how to use what you have.

Ecc 2:18 Yea, I hated all my labour which I had taken under the sun: because I should leave it unto the man that shall be after me.
Ecc 2:19 And who knoweth whether he shall be a wise man or a fool? yet shall he have rule over all my labour wherein I have laboured, and wherein I have shewed myself wise under the sun. This is also vanity.
Ecc 2:20 Therefore I went about to cause my heart to despair of all the labour which I took under the sun.
Ecc 2:21 For there is a man whose labour is in wisdom, and in knowledge, and in equity; yet to a man that hath not laboured therein shall he leave it for his portion. This also is vanity and a great evil.
Ecc 2:22 For what hath man of all his labour, and of the vexation of his heart, wherein he hath laboured under the sun?
Ecc 2:23 For all his days are sorrows, and his travail grief; yea, his heart taketh not rest in the night. This is also vanity.
Ecc 2:24 There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God.
Ecc 2:25 For who can eat, or who else can hasten hereunto, more than I?
Ecc 2:26 For God giveth to a man that is good in his sight wisdom, and knowledge, and joy: but to the sinner he giveth travail, to gather and to heap up, that he may give to him that is good before God. This also is vanity and vexation of spirit.

Solomon had 'it' all yet he sees he had nothing...
A friend of mine from years back was planning on divorcing.. They owned their home the kids were doing well and healthy... they both enjoyed their jobs... Over coffee she was so sad. she felt no bonding with him, so alone.. empty.. .. A statement she made that morning i still remember..
When we had nothing , reba i mean nothing , for dinner we shared a McDonald's burger we were together....we shared...
Life gave Solomon everything it had to offer.. he was empty... as my friend
Only in Him is there peace and joy...

Php_4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Our understanding would quickly think Solomon had 'it' made .. He found out better

Ecc 2:18 Yea, I hated all my labour which I had taken under the sun: because I should leave it unto the man that shall be after me.
Ecc 2:19 And who knoweth whether he shall be a wise man or a fool? yet shall he have rule over all my labour wherein I have laboured, and wherein I have shewed myself wise under the sun. This is also vanity.
Ecc 2:20 Therefore I went about to cause my heart to despair of all the labour which I took under the sun.
Ecc 2:21 For there is a man whose labour is in wisdom, and in knowledge, and in equity; yet to a man that hath not laboured therein shall he leave it for his portion. This also is vanity and a great evil.
Ecc 2:22 For what hath man of all his labour, and of the vexation of his heart, wherein he hath laboured under the sun?
Ecc 2:23 For all his days are sorrows, and his travail grief; yea, his heart taketh not rest in the night. This is also vanity.
Ecc 2:24 There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God.
Ecc 2:25 For who can eat, or who else can hasten hereunto, more than I?
Ecc 2:26 For God giveth to a man that is good in his sight wisdom, and knowledge, and joy: but to the sinner he giveth travail, to gather and to heap up, that he may give to him that is good before God. This also is vanity and vexation of spirit.

Solomon had 'it' all yet he sees he had nothing...
A friend of mine from years back was planning on divorcing.. They owned their home the kids were doing well and healthy... they both enjoyed their jobs... Over coffee she was so sad. she felt no bonding with him, so alone.. empty.. .. A statement she made that morning i still remember..
When we had nothing , reba i mean nothing , for dinner we shared a McDonald's burger we were together....we shared...
Life gave Solomon everything it had to offer.. he was empty... as my friend
Only in Him is there peace and joy...

Php_4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Our understanding would quickly think Solomon had 'it' made .. He found out better
Great insight! Before I surrendered my will to our LORD I married three very good looking, sweet ladies. I hung on for years with my first wife for three painful years trying to get her to come home but she would have no part of it. I was very, very, empty, much like Solomon but for a different reason.

Numbers two and three hung with me for better than nine years each but each reached a point that they could no longer live with me and they tossed me out and would not go for any form of counseling. Life is as Solomon says here when your happiness depends on somebody other than God.

As a young man, full of harmones, I thought Solomon was crazy because he had 700 wives and concubines and as king if he needed a new one to be happy, as many as he wanted were his. That is insane to any man with, even, the least of wisdom.

The truth is man or woman, your mate can never fulfill you and neither can hundreds of shack jobs. It will give you the necessity to buy a lot of Six Shooters so you can notch the handles to keep score but in the end of all that, all you will have in the end is a collection of pistols with ruined grips in need of replacing. Pure vanity, nothing more.

But I finally surrendered, got off stage and God brought my Deeter to me... inside and from the Church Family I joined and became one with. From that first Sunday in 1990 I have not, just been happy, I found the joy of our LORDS was mine and from that Joyu I am filled to overflowing.

Poor Solomon was not continually filled with the Holy spirit as am I. Had he been he filled he would not have been so tempted and he would never have felt empty for days, weeks, months and for years. The only way a Spirit filled person can feel that emptiness is for them to turn their back to Him and to walk away, stubbornness.

We have only ourselves to blame for our emptiness. I ministered to a gentleman was knew as Smiling Mike during the late ninties and through twenty ten.

Mike had murdered a police officer when he was seventeen. He had put a bullet between the Officer's eyes by holding the revolver to hid skin and pulling the trigger. And for this he received a life sentence because Texas was forced to observe a Death Sentence Moratorium and his case was decided right in the middle of it.

He was known as Smiling Mike because he had been removed from the Motorcycle Gang Culture and during the first twenty years he listened to the call of God and even though he was locked inside the Walls Unit for more than thirty-five years, he knew completion and freedom. The very things all of us need and they are only real in Jesus.

I understand being empty and trying to find fullness through the opposite sex. Ive had many boyfriends (this I am ashamed of now) even drug addicts. I tried to cure them but i ended up using too. I have learned that my happiness does not depend on my partners happiness.

Im kinda like the woman at the well, where she had 6 partners or something like that and asked Christ for living water...

I found the living water :)

And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart.
It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house.
Here we go to our next segment of Scripture...

Ecclesiastes 2:12 "And I turned myself to behold wisdom, and madness, and folly: for what can the man do that cometh after the king? even that which hath been already done.
2:13 Then I saw that wisdom excelleth folly, as far as light excelleth darkness.
2:14 The wise man's eyes are in his head; but the fool walketh in darkness: and I myself perceived also that one event happeneth to them all.
2:15 Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity.
2:16 For there is no remembrance of the wise more than of the fool for ever; seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the wise man? as the fool.
2:17 Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and vexation of spirit."

Solomon here compares wisdom with folly. It seems to me that Solomon is taking a fresh look at the two, in case he might have missed something. Now, King Solomon possessed everything a man would want. In the end, he determined that wisdom was better than all the pleasures of life.

Wisdom has two sides. One is to make one wise in all area's of life. The other is how to use that wisdom. Wisdom could be used for good or evil. Like night and day. If wisdom is used for folly, it amounts to nothing in the end. If used for good? It can benefit human kind with many advantages.

I think of Thomas Edison. He was considered stupid and useless by his early teachers. His Mother refused that knowledge and home schooled Thomas. He had a photographic memory, went to the museum of science and memorized the books there. As a result, he invented with his wisdom, many things that benefited mankind.

In the end, Solomon discovered that everything, whether wise or foolish, man is not remembered for either. So, life is vanity and all the same with the same results.

Personally, I see wisdom as a benefit, perhaps not for me, but for others, if I can just apply my wisdom to help others achieve their goals of living better than I did, my life will have been worth living.
1 Kings 3
7 “Now, Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. 8 Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. 9 So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?”

This could be waring on his heart evidently he received his wisdom young and had no experience to help discern things

Back