Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Ecclesiastes, A Bible Study by Chopper & Reba.

Can we compare our lives with Solomon? Is there wisdom here for us not to pursue certain projects?
We see all around us people tenaciously grasping and clinging to the things of the world in their relentless search for happiness and fulfillment. The wisdom of God teaches us that happiness--the happiness of the world--really can't satisfy. Yet we see countless people in that worldly struggle for satisfaction right up to their dying breath. Some Christians, however, know what Solomon learned; that lasting pleasure and happiness comes from the simplicity of life, not from the abundance of earthly pleasures and privileges bought with an abundance of money. Reminds me of what Paul said:

"17 Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. 18 Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, 19 storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed." (1 Timothy 6: NASB)

The 'life' Paul is referring to here is not just the life to come, but the life God gives now, in this age, to the person who finds his joy and satisfaction in the Holy Spirit. That is true life and happiness. It does seem many, many Christians don't really believe that, as evidenced by their pursuit of the things wise Solomon, guided by the wisdom of God, said can not satisfy.

I'm imagining having all that I have wanted in life... Various dreams...
I think time would go by too quickly actually.

You're stuck at 5 too?
Please tell us why?
The writer of Ecc had never been to Alaska.
The writer of Ecc had never been to the Truckee River.

Are you saying the writer should have known what you do because he was inspired and would necessarily be required to know science and geography and astronomy?

Ecc is a dark and brooding book. It wants us to look upon everything we might enjoy as unenjoyable. As futile. It tells us that nothing in life is worth anything. That nothing is new. Everything is vain and everything is useless.
One poster (I forget who) said that if we stopped here we'd all want to commit suicide. Luckily, it doesn't stop here but forges ahead and gives us the solution for all this futility.

And it's a good book to know and understand because it would spare many of worldly cares and problems.

So if you want to move ahead EZ, please tell us why you're stuck at 5.

W

What is the difference between reason and logic instead of ideas and theories?
If you can define this then you are one step closer to understanding us.

Lets look at all Solomon's accomplishments
Whatever Solomon accomplished, he accomplished only by God's grace and mercy, and because He asked for wisdom and knowledge to judge Israel rightly, God have him riches, and honor besides.
and see where he might have gone wrong or perhaps right?
The strangest thing is that even though Solomon had exceptional wisdom, in the end he behaved foolishly, married heathen women, and practised idolatry. As a result, the kingdom of Israel paid a heavy price.
Can we compare our lives with Solomon?
Every believer has originally been a sinner and loved the world (as did Solomon). So he was no different than anyone else in that regard. The lesson from Solomon's life is obvious, and 1 John 2:15-17 warns us against the love of the world. John also says to Christians "Little children, keep yourselves from idols".
Is there wisdom here for us not to pursue certain projects?
Absolutely. All projects for self-gratification and self-glorification are unacceptable to God.

I'm imagining having all that I have wanted in life... Various dreams...
I think time would go by too quickly actually.
Angel,
Why do you imagine having everything you could ever want?
Do you think if you did that you'd be happy?

W

What is the difference between reason and logic instead of ideas and theories?
If you can define this then you are one step closer to understanding us.
I don't know the difference.
Is it important?
One seems to have more to do with real life.
But I don't see any reason or logic there either.

W

Whatever Solomon accomplished, he accomplished only by God's grace and mercy, and because He asked for wisdom and knowledge to judge Israel rightly, God have him riches, and honor besides.
Mathew 6:33

The strangest thing is that even though Solomon had exceptional wisdom, in the end he behaved foolishly, married heathen women, and practised idolatry. As a result, the kingdom of Israel paid a heavy price.
Romans 7:19

Every believer has originally been a sinner and loved the world (as did Solomon). So he was no different than anyone else in that regard. The lesson from Solomon's life is obvious, and 1 John 2:15-17 warns us against the love of the world. John also says to Christians "Little children, keep yourselves from idols".
Romans 12:2

Absolutely. All projects for self-gratification and self-glorification are unacceptable to God.
Mathew 16:24

Lets look at all Solomon's accomplishments and see where he might have gone wrong or perhaps right? Can we compare our lives with Solomon? Is there wisdom here for us not to pursue certain projects?

Mat 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
Mat 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
Mat 6:29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Mat 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Mat 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Mat 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Rom_14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Is there any real happiness outside of God... sure fleeting moments of joy ... a fun birthday.. the birth of a child ... but deep true happiness?
Long term being at peace within oneself IMO comes only when we are aligned with our Creator

I disagree of there being no true happiness. I've felt happy at times.

Is there any real happiness outside of God... sure fleeting moments of joy ... a fun birthday.. the birth of a child ... but deep true happiness?
Long term being at peace within oneself IMO comes only when we are aligned with our Creator

You know, so far Ecclesiastes hasn't said much about finding happiness. It seems like it's a kings wisdom taking account of everything he has or could have. Ecclesiastes 2:11 I think says it well.

(KJV): "All was vanity and vexation of the spirit, there was no profit under the sun."
(ESV): "All was vanity and striving after the wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun."

Happiness could be one thing Solomon was looking for for something to be gained, but it seems he is also looking for some kind of distinct difference between his efforts as a wise ruler, and the efforts of a drunken fool. Nothing lasts, no garentee that you children will take care of your legacy, and even the wise and the fool both die and are forgoten in the same manner.

What I mean is what if happiness isn't the main subject matter of this book. Lasting happiness I don't think is something that is really mentioned outside of the promises of heaven, or in the prophies of Heaven on Earth. While here in this lifetime, a Christian is promised both peace from God and from the Holy Spirit, as well as persecution, sorrow, and many kinds of hardship because of our following Jesus.

Yet I know happiness and peace because of finding God. Another might find happiness and responsibility from being a parent and raising wonderful children to adulthood. Or who know what other means to be happy and satisfied in life another might discover, regardless of beliefs in faith, or in doctrine. Some might be just as lasting or just as fleeting.

This might not be covered in Ecclesiastes, (or at least not yet), but I think a common attribute with finding God and being close to Him is both security and happiness. But our faith is worth more then the happiness.

I've never thought one could be permanently happy, but I think we all experience it from time to time.
Life would really stink if nothing made you happy.

I've never thought one could be permanently happy, but I think we all experience it from time to time.
Life would really stink if nothing made you happy.

You're right. I just love being happy. I have no idea what drugs can do, some say they give you a high, what ever that is. I want just pure happiness and that I have found is the joy of the Lord. There have been times when the Holy Spirit came on me with the most wonderful glow of Holy Joy that I'll never forget and long for another time when He comes.

I wish there was a formula on how to experience the joy of the Lord. Perhaps someone with more wisdom than I could do a thread on that.

Neh 8:9 And Nehemiah, which is the Tirshatha, and Ezra the priest the scribe, and the Levites that taught the people, said unto all the people, This day is holy unto the LORD your God; mourn not, nor weep. For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the law.
Neh 8:10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.

Back