Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] Evolution and Christianity

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
RND,
Do you personally believe in evolution. As I am assuming you are a Christian i was wondering if this was a case how it fits together with evolution. I don't know a whole lot about evolution but i'm under the impression that it doesn't actually teach humans come from monkeys and that it doesn't specifically relate to the origin of life. Am i correct in my basic understanding??

seekandlisten said:
I do trust the Word of God.
No need to try an convince me.

God never said the earth wasn't billions of years old, man did.
That's right.

Genesis 1:1 states that God created the heavens and earth. With what I believe of God to be eternal and immortal the beginning could very well be billions of years before we kick off into verse 2.
How does the 'age' of God (who is self-existent and therefore beyond the scope of age) matter when it comes to the age of the earth?

What I think you are attempting to say is that you are equating the age of the earth to the 'age' of God. If God's is billions of years old then earth must be as well. But is that even logical? For example, if an 80 year-old lady paints a picture of the sunrise that doesn't make the picture 80 years old does it? Of course not! Likewise if the eternal, omnipresence, omnipotent, and omniscient God of the universe decides to create something it doesn't mean that thing has to be as old as God does it? Of course not!

RND said:
kenmaynard said:
What? Matter can exist with out sun light. Where did you go to school?
The basic building blocks of all matter is found in the substance of sunlight. Science has known this for years.

Presto! Light Creates Matter

Scientists Use Light to Create Particles

Let There Be Matter

They aren't hired because their theory is wrong. They don't really understand how the earth works, and the result is they can't find oil.
The ability to find oil in the earth has nothing to do with believing the earth is young or old. Your statement is ridiculous on it's face alone.

Oil is not found with divining rods! :nono

LOL You aren't an engineer. No way you think that those links prove that light is necessary for matter to exist and have a science background.

Yes oil isn't found using divining rods it is found using science. Geologists using their theories which include plate tectonics and the earth being billions of years old calculate where oil is likely to be found and where it isn't. If young earthers were right they would be able to find oil and would get jobs. They can't find oil and can't get real jobs. They only work at places like the creation science museum, and churches.

seekandlisten said:
RND, Do you personally believe in evolution.
Nope.

As I am assuming you are a Christian i was wondering if this was a case how it fits together with evolution.
Your assumption is correct and I think you should take the time to re-read my posts in this thread.

I don't know a whole lot about evolution but i'm under the impression that it doesn't actually teach humans come from monkeys and that it doesn't specifically relate to the origin of life. Am i correct in my basic understanding??
It is true that in the last few years that science has tried to come up with more palpable ways to teach evolution by suggesting that evolution does not teach that man, or any other animal, descended from other life forms.

But the bottom line is that evolution is tied directly to the thought that all life on earth now descend from a common ancestor. Evolutionists know this and therefore have to work overtime to suggest differently. The bottom line is this: "The central idea of biological evolution is that all life on Earth shares a common ancestor, just as you and your cousins share a common grandmother." If this is true then put simply the Bible cannot be. The Bible clearly and specifically states that man was created separate and apart from animals.

RND said:
The Bible clearly and specifically states that man was created separate and apart from animals.

Our souls were, but we have animal bodies for sure. We have DNA, eat, poop, age, die just like all other animals.

kenmaynard said:
LOL You aren't an engineer.
You're right!

No way you think that those links prove that light is necessary for matter to exist and have a science background.
I think those links do a great job of proving and increasing our understanding of fundamental particle physics, Quantum physics and the atomic world.

Yes oil isn't found using divining rods it is found using science. Geologists using their theories which include plate tectonics and the earth being billions of years old calculate where oil is likely to be found and where it isn't.
Understanding plate tectonics has nothing to do with believing the earth is old or young.

If young earthers were right they would be able to find oil and would get jobs. They can't find oil and can't get real jobs. They only work at places like the creation science museum, and churches.
Useless generalities.

kenmaynard said:
Our souls were, but we have animal bodies for sure.
All living things on earth are "souls." The distinct in the Bible is that there are different types of bodies.

1Cr 15:39 All flesh [is] not the same flesh: but [there is] one [kind of] flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, [and] another of birds.

We have DNA, eat, poop, age, die just like all other animals.
Which, again, shows the evidence of a common designer not evolution.

Steve76 said:
Interesting topic and I would like to learn more..

I have read this on another website and was wondering what others may think about the time-scales etc..

:chin

Extract
We are taught in the Scripture, `one day upon our earth is as a thousand years with God'. Although each day was distinguished by `an evening and a morning', they were six distinct periods of one thousand years wherein God expressed His creative thoughts that would transform earth from an uninhabited lifeless wilderness to the manifestation of those thoughts in an Eden on the Seventh Day

and

God took six thousand years to create Eden. So it was on the Seventh Day, after God had FINISHED His creating, that the things which are seen were formed or manifested. And on this Seventh Day, Satan deceived the woman. God had said, `the day you partake of the Tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil, that day you will surely die'. Eve was seduced by the Serpent, then taught her husband the facts of life and bore two children in her womb: Cain who was born of the wicked one, and Abel who was born of the son of God. Because Adam chose to die in order to redeem Eve, no man has yet fulfilled a day in God's reckoning which would be a thousand years. The oldest man, Methuselah, lived for 969 years.

Now I think we need to quote a few more Scriptures where this word `day' or `yowm', is used, so we can dismiss forever the folly of men who claim God created a finished earth from scratch to the garden of Eden in six solar days of twenty-four hours.
There is the day `yowm' of the Lord. Isaiah 4:1, `And in THAT DAY seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by Thy Name, to take away our reproach'. Revelation 1:10, `I was in the Spirit in the Lord's DAY, and heard behind me a great Voice, as of a trumpet'.

Now `the Lord's Day' or `yowm' is yet future, after the sounding of the Seventh Trumpet to Israel, marking the end of the Gentile dispensation. It is the conclusion of man's day, and not twenty-four hours. John was caught up in the Spirit in the Lord's day for TWO YEARS whilst he was on the Isle of Patmos, and saw things which will come to pass in that time. So a `yowm' does not necessarily mean twenty-four hours any than our English word always means twenty-four hours. And John did not see these visions only on Sunday, as the Brethren denominations teach.

In other instances the word `day' means time itself. Genesis 4:3, `And in PROCESS OF TIME `yowm' it came to pass..' Numbers 20:15, `And we have dwelt in Egypt a LONG TIME, `yowm' ...' A long time indeed! For here a `yowm', the word that appears in Genesis as the creative period and is called there, `day', was 430 years.

Finally let us repeat Genesis 2:4, `These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in THE DAY `yowm' that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens'. In the Genesis one, the story was given in `yowms' or DAYS, or time periods (plural) -- each with `an evening and a morning'. But in the Genesis 2, as one day (singular).

Without the Holy Spirit to guide us into the truth of His Word, we would be confused as to whether His creation was six days or one day. And we'd have a contradiction in the Bible..
We are taught in the Scripture, `one day upon our earth is as a thousand years with God'
END

http://getwiththeword.blogspot.com/

Any comments on the above? :shrug

RND said:
I think those links do a great job of proving and increasing our understanding of fundamental particle physics, Quantum physics and the atomic world.

You said that matter can't exist with out light. That is silly and not true at all. You provided those links as evidence. You either didn't read them or didn't understand them. They provided no such proof. They only showed that the equation E=MC squared can work both ways matter into energy or energy into matter.

RND said:
Understanding plate tectonics has nothing to do with believing the earth is old or young.
Wrong. It has a lot to do with whether it is old or young. Geologists believe the earth to be billions of years old, and that plate tectonics makes the earths land masses move around and collide. That is how mountains are created, They also believed that all the continents were together a long time ago and split up over millions of millions of years[/quote]

RND said:
Useless generalities.

Not useless generalities, but absolute truth. Oil companies don't care about religion they care about oil and cold hard cash. If the young earthers were right they would get those high paying jobs that the real scientists get. Oh and they would be able to find the oil. Which they can't do cause they are wrong.

kenmaynard said:
You said that matter can't exist with out light.
Yes I did. My comment should have been 'matter can not be created with out light.'

That is silly and not true at all. You provided those links as evidence. You either didn't read them or didn't understand them. They provided no such proof. They only showed that the equation E=MC squared can work both ways matter into energy or energy into matter.
Matter is not created without light. It really is that simple.

Wrong. It has a lot to do with whether it is old or young. Geologists believe the earth to be billions of years old,
Some geologists.

and that plate tectonics makes the earths land masses move around and collide.
Which is something that the Bible knew thousands of years ago.

That is how mountains are created,
Some mountains.

They also believed that all the continents were together a long time ago and split up over millions of millions of years
Some do, of that I'm sure. How does any of this related to whether a young earth geologist can find oil?

Not useless generalities, but absolute truth.
Absolutely useless generalities.

Oil companies don't care about religion they care about oil and cold hard cash.
And?

If the young earthers were right they would get those high paying jobs that the real scientists get.
Another absolutely useless generality.

Oh and they would be able to find the oil. Which they can't do cause they are wrong.
How does ones religious beliefs predicate whether they are able to find oil? You've yet to explain that proposition, other than using "nanny-nanny-boo-boo" argumentation of course.

RND said:
kenmaynard said:
You said that matter can't exist with out light.
Yes I did. My comment should have been 'matter can not be created with out light.'

That is silly and not true at all. You provided those links as evidence. You either didn't read them or didn't understand them. They provided no such proof. They only showed that the equation E=MC squared can work both ways matter into energy or energy into matter.
Matter is not created without light. It really is that simple.

[quote:1462e3z3]Wrong. It has a lot to do with whether it is old or young. Geologists believe the earth to be billions of years old,
Some geologists.

and that plate tectonics makes the earths land masses move around and collide.
Which is something that the Bible knew thousands of years ago.

That is how mountains are created,
Some mountains.

They also believed that all the continents were together a long time ago and split up over millions of millions of years
Some do, of that I'm sure. How does any of this related to whether a young earth geologist can find oil?

Not useless generalities, but absolute truth.
Absolutely useless generalities.

Oil companies don't care about religion they care about oil and cold hard cash.
And?

If the young earthers were right they would get those high paying jobs that the real scientists get.
Another absolutely useless generality.

Oh and they would be able to find the oil. Which they can't do cause they are wrong.
How does ones religious beliefs predicate whether they are able to find oil? You've yet to explain that proposition, other than using "nanny-nanny-boo-boo" argumentation of course.[/quote:1462e3z3]

Your too funny.

Where in the bible does it talk about plate tectonics?

Matter can't be created with out light or light can't be created with out matter. Same thing.

How about this. Which University has a course on young earth geology? What classes are there? Who are the leading Young earth scientists? What journals are they published in. What Oil or gas company has a young earth Geologist on staff?

Who are the leading Biologists who say animal life doesn't have a common ancestor. Which Universities have classes that say life isn't related, and was created as is 6,000 years ago?

kenmaynard said:
Your too funny.
Whenever the level of hyperbole reaches your level Ken it is a sure sign that you have run out of honest and thoughtful argument.
Where in the bible does it talk about plate tectonics?
Wherever the Bible refers to earthquakes. More to the point here are a number of verses where plate tectonics can be seen as being alludded to:

Gen 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

There is a Hebrew word for "broken up." That word is baga and it is used in other Old Testament passages to refer to the geologic phenomena of faulting. To wit:

Zec 14:4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which [is] before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, [and there shall be] a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

Num 16:31 ¶ And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that [was] under them:

Matter can't be created with out light or light can't be created with out matter. Same thing.
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The light or the matter?

How about this. Which University has a course on young earth geology? What classes are there? Who are the leading Young earth scientists? What journals are they published in. What Oil or gas company has a young earth Geologist on staff?
Tell me, what relevance to these questions have regarding the topic at hand, which is evolution and Christianity? I will say this. Whether or not there were absolutely no university in the world that taught creationism doesn't make creationism untrue. Your argument seems to be one born out of teaching what is popular is more important than teaching Bible truth. It would be equivalent of saying that adultery isn't a sin because, well, adultery is very popular!

That said I know in the university system of my denomination that earth sciences are taught from a "creationist" POV.

Who are the leading Biologists who say animal life doesn't have a common ancestor.
Some are Alan Gillen, Ed.D., Frank Sherwin, M.A., Paul Madtes, Jay Wile, Ph.D., Dr. John W. Klotz, Dr. William Arion, Biochemistry, Chemistry ,Dr. Paul Ackerman, Psychologist, Dr. E. Theo Agard, Medical Physics, Dr. Steve Austin, Geologist, Dr. S.E. Aw, Biochemist, Dr. Thomas Barnes, Physicis, Dr. Geoff Barnard, Immunologist, Dr. Don Batten, Plant Physiologist, Dr. John Baumgardner, Electrical Engineering, Space Physicist, Geophysicist, expert in supercomputer modeling of plate tectonics, Dr. Jerry Bergman, Psychologist, Dr. Kimberly Berrine, Microbiology & Immunology,Prof. Vladimir Betina, Microbiology, Biochemistry & Biology, Dr. Andrew Bosanquet, Biology, Microbiology, Edward A. Boudreaux, Theoretical Chemistry, Dr. David R. Boylan, Chemical Engineer, Prof. Linn E. Carothers, Associate Professor of Statistics, Dr. Rob Carter, Marine Biology, Dr. David Catchpoole, Plant Physiology,Prof. Sung-Do Cha, Physics, Dr. Eugene F. Chaffin, Professor of Physics, Dr. Choong-Kuk Chang, Genetic Engineering, Prof. Jeun-Sik Chang, Aeronautical Engineering, Dr. Donald Chittick, Physical Chemist, Prof. Chung-Il Cho, Biology Education, Dr. John M. Cimbala, Mechanical Engineerin, Dr. Harold Coffin, Palaeontologist, Dr. Bob Compton, DVM, Dr. Ken Cumming, Biologist, Dr. Jack W. Cuozzo, Dentist, Dr. William M. Curtis III, Th.D., Th.M., M.S., Aeronautics & Nuclear Physics, Dr. Malcolm Cutchins, Aerospace Engineering, Dr. Lionel Dahmer, Analytical Chemist, Dr. Raymond V. Damadian, M.D., Pioneer of magnetic resonance imaging, Dr. Chris Darnbrough, Biochemist, Dr. Nancy M. Darrall, Botany, Dr. Bryan Dawson, Mathematics, Dr. Douglas Dean, Biological Chemistry, Prof. Stephen W. Deckard, Assistant Professor of Education, Dr. David A. DeWitt, Biology, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Dr. Don DeYoung, Astronomy, atmospheric physics, M.Div, Dr. Geoff Downes, Creationist Plant Physiologist, Dr. Ted Driggers, Operations research, Robert H. Eckel, Medical Research, Dr. André Eggen, Geneticist, Dr. Dudley Eirich, Molecular Biologist, Prof. Dennis L. Englin, Professor of Geophysics, Prof. Danny Faulkner, Astronomy, Prof. Carl B. Fliermans, Professor of Biology, Prof. Dwain L. Ford, Organic Chemistry, Prof. Robert H. Franks, Associate Professor of Biology, Dr. Alan Galbraith, Watershed Science, Dr. Paul Giem, Medical Research, Dr. Maciej Giertych, Geneticist, Dr. Duane Gish, Biochemist, Dr. Werner Gitt, Information Scientist, Dr. Warwick Glover, General Surgeon, Dr. D.B. Gower, Biochemistry, Dr. Robin Greer, Chemist, History, Dr. Stephen Grocott, Chemist, Dr. Donald Hamann, Food Scientist, Dr. Barry Harker, Philosopher, Dr. Charles W. Harrison, Applied Physicist, Electromagnetics, Dr. John Hartnett, Physics, Dr. Mark Harwood, Engineering (satellite specialist), Dr. George Hawke, Environmental Scientist, Dr. Margaret Helder, Science Editor, Botanist, Dr. Harold R. Henry, Engineer, Dr. Jonathan Henry, Astronomy, Dr. Joseph Henson, Entomologist, Dr. Robert A. Herrmann, Professor of Mathematics, US Naval Academy, Dr. Andrew Hodge, Head of the Cardiothoracic Surgical Service, Dr. Kelly Hollowell, Molecular and Cellular Pharmacologist, Dr. Ed Holroyd, III, Atmospheric Science, Dr. Bob Hosken, Biochemistry, Dr. George F. Howe, Botany, Dr. Neil Huber, Physical Anthropologist, Dr. James A. Huggins, Professor and Chair, Department of Biology, Dr. Russ Humphreys, Physics, Evan Jamieson, Hydrometallurgy, George T. Javor, Biochemistry, Dr. Pierre Jerlström, Molecular Biology, Dr. Arthur Jones, Biology, Dr. Jonathan W. Jones, Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Raymond Jones, Agricultural Scientist, Prof. Leonid Korochkin, Molecular Biology, Dr. Valery Karpounin, Mathematical Sciences, Logics, Formal Logics, Dr. Dean Kenyon, Biologist

There are others....this is just a partial list.

Which Universities have classes that say life isn't related, and was created as is 6,000 years ago?
You'd have to contact the above to get your own answer.

kenmaynard said:
http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/Evidence_against_a_recent_creation
Again, I am awestruck at the lengths a supposed believer in the God of the Bible would go to try and disprove what he says he believes. This tells me you either don't believe what you say you believe or you have little faith.

Some are Alan Gillen, Ed.D., Frank Sherwin, M.A., Paul Madtes, Jay Wile, Ph.D., Dr. John W. Klotz, Dr. William Arion, Biochemistry, Chemistry ,Dr. Paul Ackerman, Psychologist, Dr. E. Theo Agard, Medical Physics, Dr. Steve Austin, Geologist, Dr. S.E. Aw, Biochemist, Dr. Thomas Barnes, Physicis, Dr. Geoff Barnard, Immunologist, Dr. Don Batten, Plant Physiologist, Dr. John Baumgardner, Electrical Engineering, Space Physicist, Geophysicist, expert in supercomputer modeling of plate tectonics, Dr. Jerry Bergman, Psychologist, Dr. Kimberly Berrine, Microbiology & Immunology,Prof. Vladimir Betina, Microbiology, Biochemistry & Biology, Dr. Andrew Bosanquet, Biology, Microbiology, Edward A. Boudreaux, Theoretical Chemistry, Dr. David R. Boylan, Chemical Engineer, Prof. Linn E. Carothers, Associate Professor of Statistics, Dr. Rob Carter, Marine Biology, Dr. David Catchpoole, Plant Physiology,Prof. Sung-Do Cha, Physics, Dr. Eugene F. Chaffin, Professor of Physics, Dr. Choong-Kuk Chang, Genetic Engineering, Prof. Jeun-Sik Chang, Aeronautical Engineering, Dr. Donald Chittick, Physical Chemist, Prof. Chung-Il Cho, Biology Education, Dr. John M. Cimbala, Mechanical Engineerin, Dr. Harold Coffin, Palaeontologist, Dr. Bob Compton, DVM, Dr. Ken Cumming, Biologist, Dr. Jack W. Cuozzo, Dentist, Dr. William M. Curtis III, Th.D., Th.M., M.S., Aeronautics & Nuclear Physics, Dr. Malcolm Cutchins, Aerospace Engineering, Dr. Lionel Dahmer, Analytical Chemist, Dr. Raymond V. Damadian, M.D., Pioneer of magnetic resonance imaging, Dr. Chris Darnbrough, Biochemist, Dr. Nancy M. Darrall, Botany, Dr. Bryan Dawson, Mathematics, Dr. Douglas Dean, Biological Chemistry, Prof. Stephen W. Deckard, Assistant Professor of Education, Dr. David A. DeWitt, Biology, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Dr. Don DeYoung, Astronomy, atmospheric physics, M.Div, Dr. Geoff Downes, Creationist Plant Physiologist, Dr. Ted Driggers, Operations research, Robert H. Eckel, Medical Research, Dr. André Eggen, Geneticist, Dr. Dudley Eirich, Molecular Biologist, Prof. Dennis L. Englin, Professor of Geophysics, Prof. Danny Faulkner, Astronomy, Prof. Carl B. Fliermans, Professor of Biology, Prof. Dwain L. Ford, Organic Chemistry, Prof. Robert H. Franks, Associate Professor of Biology, Dr. Alan Galbraith, Watershed Science, Dr. Paul Giem, Medical Research, Dr. Maciej Giertych, Geneticist, Dr. Duane Gish, Biochemist, Dr. Werner Gitt, Information Scientist, Dr. Warwick Glover, General Surgeon, Dr. D.B. Gower, Biochemistry, Dr. Robin Greer, Chemist, History, Dr. Stephen Grocott, Chemist, Dr. Donald Hamann, Food Scientist, Dr. Barry Harker, Philosopher, Dr. Charles W. Harrison, Applied Physicist, Electromagnetics, Dr. John Hartnett, Physics, Dr. Mark Harwood, Engineering (satellite specialist), Dr. George Hawke, Environmental Scientist, Dr. Margaret Helder, Science Editor, Botanist, Dr. Harold R. Henry, Engineer, Dr. Jonathan Henry, Astronomy, Dr. Joseph Henson, Entomologist, Dr. Robert A. Herrmann, Professor of Mathematics, US Naval Academy, Dr. Andrew Hodge, Head of the Cardiothoracic Surgical Service, Dr. Kelly Hollowell, Molecular and Cellular Pharmacologist, Dr. Ed Holroyd, III, Atmospheric Science, Dr. Bob Hosken, Biochemistry, Dr. George F. Howe, Botany, Dr. Neil Huber, Physical Anthropologist, Dr. James A. Huggins, Professor and Chair, Department of Biology, Dr. Russ Humphreys, Physics, Evan Jamieson, Hydrometallurgy, George T. Javor, Biochemistry, Dr. Pierre Jerlström, Molecular Biology, Dr. Arthur Jones, Biology, Dr. Jonathan W. Jones, Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Raymond Jones, Agricultural Scientist, Prof. Leonid Korochkin, Molecular Biology, Dr. Valery Karpounin, Mathematical Sciences, Logics, Formal Logics, Dr. Dean Kenyon, Biologist

:salute

Ed the Ned said:

Wow what a bloated list of non biologists. It contains agricultural scientists, engineer lol.

Ed the Ned said:

Wow what a bloated list of non biologists. It contains agricultural scientists, engineer lol. Also why aren't their academic employment included. Why no email addresses. I smell a least a little fraud.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back