Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

[_ Old Earth _] Evolution stopped after billions of years.

Barbarian observes:
No. Entirely new genomes would be evidence for creationism. As you know, evolution procedes by modifying existing genomes.

We both know that there isn't any such thing as evolution, don't we?
As you know, YE creationism denies what God says about creation.
I don't know, and am frankly not interested. But what about you, the catholic?

If you believe in creation, then you should believe in the creation of new genomes all over the place. Do you?

Turns out, some forms of RNA are self-catalyzing. So it's not a problem.
But we're discussing the FIRST living cell. RNA by itself does not a cell make!

Barbarian, regarding favorable mutations:
Yep. We still observe it happening.
I haven't heard of one recently. Got some?

Barbarian observes:
You're wrong about that. Most mutations don't do much of anything. A few are harmful. A very few are useful. Natural selection sorts it out.
I read somewhere that natural selection is being called into question as an effective agent. When I find it again, I'll let you know. In the meantime, please don't mention Kettlewell, who faked his results, and was, as far as I was aware, the best example of NS known.

Good question. First, you have to remember that natural selection does not necessarily cause evolution.
Mistake. NS CANNOT cause evolution. It selects from an existing population, and cannot create new features/ species/ whatever.

If a population is highly fitted to an essentially unchanging environment, it can actually prevent evolution. (scientists call it "stabilizing selection") So we see a sudden increase in taxa when the environment changes, or some kind of breakthrough evolution makes it possible for organisms to take advantage of new ways of life. The sudden increase in the number of taxa during the Cambrian explosion is an extreme example, but there are many others, such as the explosion of mammal species after the K-T event that killed off most large land animals.
Nice try, but doomed to failure.

All the ancestors of the Cmbrian critters could not have existed in stasis before the Cambrian, or the pre-Cambrian would have been nearly as full of them as the Cambrian. I know they're scratching vigorously trying to find the un-findable, so good luck to them. But again, it's foredoomed to failure.

Picture a perfectly round ceramic plate, of uniform thickness, flatness, material, and color. Think of the amount of information necessary to completely describe it.
Yeah.
The picture it dropped on a hard surface, where it shatters. How much information would it take to completely describe it then?
Not much. If you regarded the original plate as being composed of a zillion small pieces, then the amount of info in the smashed plate cannot exceed the original amount. Good try.
But I think it's rather pointless to call a favorable mutation "damage", don't you think?
Again, semantics. But I'm waiting to hear about all these favourable mutations, which could have produced the numbers of new taxa in the Cambrian.

Show us that. In the sense that it is God making nature serve His purposes, it would be true, but I'm not aware of anyone being able to demonstrate it scientifically. Show us.
Every computer is a demonstration of that fact. It took greater intelligence than the computer possesses to construct the computer.

And if they manage to make a super-duper computer which could itself make newer and better computers, then you've merely pushed the problem one step back.

Turns out, God is a lot smarter than you thought.
True,God is a lot smarter than I can imagine - but natural selection and mutations aren't smart at all. Yet here are you, with a brain in your head arguing against that fact!

M and NS couldn't have produced you.

Which brings up another fatal anti-evolution point, which Darwin recognised.

If the human mind is the poduct of the random/non-random movement of molecules, then the products of that mind are equally random,

Therefore, the said products cannot be depended upon.

Therefore the theory of evolution, which is a product of the undependably produced minds, is also undependable.

Isn't that so?

QED

Good luck with that.

My point is that when the Bible clearly uses the Two Kingdom System.
It doesn't get into subdivisions of cells which have nuclear membranes and those which do not.

Nor does it delve into differentiating between Fungi and the animal and other kinds of plants.

It becomes clear that the Bible writers were opting to use the simplest system of classifications, so with that qualification, what they wrote is in line with the science we know all so much about today.

i.e.; your criticism is unwarranted and supercilious.

We both know that there isn't any such thing as evolution, don't we?

It's directly observed. Can't do much better than that.

Barbarian observes:
As you know, YE creationism denies what God says about creation.

I don't know, and am frankly not interested.

If you were more interested in what He had to say to you, it would be better.

But what about you, the catholic?

I think it's important to listen to Him.

If you believe in creation, then you should believe in the creation of new genomes all over the place. Do you?

As you learned, that's not how God did it. He uses nature for most things in this world. Why do you think He made it in the first place?

Barbarian asked about first genes:

(sound of goal posts being frantically repositioned)
But we're discussing the FIRST living cell. RNA by itself does not a cell make!

Cells are a lot easier. It's no coincidence that the one structure that is absolutely essential to a cell is also the simplest and self-organizing. The cell membrane is a simple phospholipid bilayer that spontaneously forms vesicles in water.

I haven't heard of one recently. Got some?

Genetics. 2005 Jan;169(1):475-83. Epub 2004 Oct 16.
Variation after a selective sweep in a subdivided population.

And…

Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1998 Apr;18(4):562-567. "PAI-1 plasma levels in a general population without clinical evidence of atherosclerosis: relation to environmental and genetic determinants," by Margaglione M, Cappucci G, d'Addedda M, Colaizzo D, Giuliani N, Vecchione G, Mascolo G, Grandone E, Di Minno G; Unita' di Trombosi e Aterosclerosi, IRCCS Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, San Giovanni Rotondo (FG), Italy.
Abstract:
Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) plasma levels have been consistently related to a polymorphism (4G/5G) of the PAI-1 gene. The renin-angiotensin pathway plays a role in the regulation of PAI-1 plasma levels. An insertion (I)/deletion (D) polymorphism of the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) gene has been related to plasma and cellular ACE levels. In 1032 employees (446 men and 586 women; 22 to 66 years old) of a hospital in southern Italy, we investigated the association between PAI-1 4G/5G and the ACE I/D gene variants and plasma PAI-1 antigen levels. None of the individuals enrolled had clinical evidence of atherosclerosis. In univariate analysis, PAI-1 levels were significantly higher in men (P<.001), alcohol drinkers (P<.001), smokers (P=.009), and homozygotes for the PAI-1 gene deletion allele (4G/4G) (P=.012). Multivariate analysis documented the independent effect on PAI-1 plasma levels of body mass index (P<.001), triglycerides (P<.001), sex (P<.001), PAI-1 4G/5G polymorphism (P=.019), smoking habit (P=.041), and ACE I/D genotype (P=.042). Thus, in addition to the markers of insulin resistance and smoking habit, gene variants of PAI-1 and ACE account for a significant portion of the between-individual variability of circulating PAI-1 antigen concentrations in a general population without clinical evidence of atherosclerosis.

And…

Am J Hum Genet 1998 Jun;62(6):1507-15. by JC Stephens et al.
Abstract:
The CCR5-Delta32 deletion obliterates the CCR5 chemokine and the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 coreceptor on lymphoid cells, leading to strong resistance against HIV-1 infection and AIDS. A genotype survey of 4,166 individuals revealed a cline of CCR5-Delta32 allele frequencies of 0%-14% across Eurasia, whereas the variant is absent among native African, American Indian, and East Asian ethnic groups. Haplotype analysis of 192 Caucasian chromosomes revealed strong linkage disequilibrium between CCR5 and two microsatellite loci. By use of coalescence theory to interpret modern haplotype genealogy, we estimate the origin of the CCR5-Delta32-containing ancestral haplotype to be approximately 700 years ago, with an estimated range of 275-1,875 years. The geographic cline of CCR5-Delta32 frequencies and its recent emergence are consistent with a historic strong selective event (e.g. , an epidemic of a pathogen that, like HIV-1, utilizes CCR5), driving its frequency upward in ancestral Caucasian populations.

Barbarian observes:
You're wrong about that. Most mutations don't do much of anything. A few are harmful. A very few are useful. Natural selection sorts it out.

I read somewhere that natural selection is being called into question as an effective agent. When I find it again, I'll let you know.

We can directly observe it.

In the meantime, please don't mention Kettlewell, who faked his results

You were fooled there, too. Kettlewell's data confirm natural selection in cases of industrial melanism. If you want to post what you think he faked, I'll show you how they fooled you.

and was, as far as I was aware, the best example of NS known.

It’s a pretty good one. We have white moths with speckles of black. They hide nicely on the trunks and branches of birch trees. Then the industrial revolution hits, soot coats trees, and the dark morphs become more common. Then the environment gets cleaned up, and the white morphs again become more common. But it’s far from the only one. Want to learn about some more?

Barbarian observes:
Good question. First, you have to remember that natural selection does not necessarily cause evolution.

Mistake. NS CANNOT cause evolution.

It’s been directly observed to do so. The moths, for example. Natural selection switched colors as the colors of the trees changed.

It selects from an existing population, and cannot create new features/ species/ whatever.

Surprise. In one case, it was directly observed to produce a new, irreducibly complex enzyme system.

Barbarian continues:
If a population is highly fitted to an essentially unchanging environment, it can actually prevent evolution. (scientists call it "stabilizing selection") So we see a sudden increase in taxa when the environment changes, or some kind of breakthrough evolution makes it possible for organisms to take advantage of new ways of life. The sudden increase in the number of taxa during the Cambrian explosion is an extreme example, but there are many others, such as the explosion of mammal species after the K-T event that killed off most large land animals.

Nice try, but doomed to failure.

Reality, remember? That’s what we observe happening in such cases.

All the ancestors of the Cmbrian critters could not have existed in stasis before the Cambrian, or the pre-Cambrian would have been nearly as full of them as the Cambrian.

And yet, we find soft-bodied or partially scleritized organisms in the Precambrian. When full-body exoskeletons evolved, there was a burst of speciation. That’s the “Cambrian Explosion.†Exactly what evolutionary theory predicts.

I know they're scratching vigorously trying to find the un-findable, so good luck to them. But again, it's foredoomed to failure.

It’s already done. An extensive and varied Ediacaran fauna existed in the Precambrian. Surprise.

(claim that disorder does not increase information)

Barbarian observes:
Picture a perfectly round ceramic plate, of uniform thickness, flatness, material, and color. Think of the amount of information necessary to completely describe it.

For the form itself, just the radius, thickness, material, and color. Four things.

Barbarian asks:
Then picture it dropped on a hard surface, where it shatters. How much information would it take to completely describe it then?

Not much.

Much, much more. Now you have to describe every fragment as to shape, in detail. As you see, disorder requires more information than order.

If you regarded the original plate as being composed of a zillion small pieces, then the amount of info in the smashed plate cannot exceed the original amount.

Wrong again. First, you don’t have to regard it so. The information about the plate is complete without that. But even then, if you wanted to account for every molecule, you’d still have to describe the location of every molecule in every particular fragment, which would take much more information than describing it in the unbroken plate.
Surprise.

Barbarian chuckles:
But I think it's rather pointless to call a favorable mutation "damage", don't you think?

But I'm waiting to hear about all these favourable mutations

See some above. How many do you want to see?

The information used in the construction of computers and the human brain (as well as the many others), indicates categorically that higher degrees of intelligence are required to produce intelligence of any sort.

Show us that. In the sense that it is God making nature serve His purposes, it would be true, but I'm not aware of anyone being able to demonstrate it scientifically. Show us.

Every computer is a demonstration of that fact.

So because man can’t yet make a computer more intelligent than a man, you think God can’t make a world where intelligence arises from His creation? Sounds like you’re putting way too much faith in man, and not nearly enough in God. And what happens if someday we figure out how to make a computer smarter than we are? You've set man above God. Even if we use a computer we made to make the smarter computer, we still have greater intelligence produced by lesser intelligence.

M and NS couldn't have produced you.

Which brings up another fatal anti-evolution point, which Darwin recognised.

If the human mind is the poduct of the random/non-random movement of molecules, then the products of that mind are equally random,

So you think hurricanes are impossible? How so? Non-random processes can easily arise from random processes. Would you like an example?

Therefore the theory of evolution, which is a product of the undependably produced minds, is also undependable.

Hypotheses are undependable. That’s why we go out and test them against the real world to see if they fit. If not, they are discarded and modified until they do fit. Natural selection gave us brains that are capable of sorting out things and understanding the world. As God intended. He used nature instead of magic, for reasons we don’t entirely understand. But He did a terrific job of it.

Isn't that so?

Natural selection gave us brains that are capable of sorting out things and understanding the world. As God intended. He used nature instead of magic, for reasons we don’t entirely understand. But He did a terrific job of it.
Man was created "in God's image" via special creation. He has endowed us with the ability to reason with the brain He created us with. There is nothing in Holy Writ that even hints of the notion that man was once a fish. You have bought a bill of goods. Learn for your error.

Man was created "in God's image" via special creation. He has endowed us with the ability to reason with the brain He created us with. There is nothing in Holy Writ that even hints of the notion that man was once a fish. You have bought a bill of goods. Learn for your error.

There's nothing in the ToE that even hints that man was once a fish, either.

There is no contradiction.

The only problem we have here is that you keep oversimplifying and misrepresenting what the ToE is. Pigeonholing and strawmanning won't help you.

While you say that God has endowed man with reason, you keep pretending that man doesn't have enough reason to know the difference between what the theory actually is and what you SAY it is.

Learn from your error.

Man was created "in God's image" via special creation.

Your error is in supposing that God has a physical body that looks like ours. The image is in the special creation of us, as opposed to the part that is produced naturally. You have a body which is created naturally, and a soul that is given directly by God. We look as we do, because our bodies were created by God through natural processes, but our souls were a special creation, given to each of us immediately by God.

He has endowed us with the ability to reason with the brain He created us with. There is nothing in Holy Writ that even hints of the notion that man was once a fish.

Nothing about protons or solid-state physics, either. Many things that are true, are not in the Bible.

You can't serve God by modifying His word. Let Him be God.

My point is that when the Bible clearly uses the Two Kingdom System.
It doesn't get into subdivisions of cells which have nuclear membranes and those which do not.

Nor does it delve into differentiating between Fungi and the animal and other kinds of plants.

It becomes clear that the Bible writers were opting to use the simplest system of classifications, so with that qualification, what they wrote is in line with the science we know all so much about today.

i.e.; your criticism is unwarranted and supercilious.

The bible is not a science book. That is why it doesn't discuss taxonomy.

The reason we use taxa is to explain relationships between living organisms regardless of how simple or complex the system may be.The objective of identifying biological distinctions is not to "come up with the simplest system of classifications." That's starting with the conclusion first and making everything fit an expectation. That's backwards and would be very bad science.

The science is available, so if you don't know the difference between fungi and plants, don't blame it on the bible.

Your error is in supposing that God has a physical body that looks like ours.
But I don't make that error - God is Spirit and God created man "in God's image" via special creation. He has endowed us with the ability to reason with the brain He created within us. God does not say man was once a fish. Man has always been man - you have bought a bill of goods. Learn from your error.

Nothing about protons or solid-state physics, either. Many things that are true, are not in the Bible.

Interpretation: Barb cannot support goo-to-you evolution using Holy Writ nor can he support it using the scientific method - that leaves him believing it through great faith.

The only problem we have here is that you keep oversimplifying and misrepresenting what the ToE is.
Does the ToE suggest man and chimp have a common ancestor? Can you find your evidence from science that proves man-chimp common ancestry or do you believe that notion via faith?

Does the ToE suggest man and chimp have a common ancestor? Can you find your evidence from science that proves man-chimp common ancestry?

I sure can.

From intermediates in the fossil record to identical pseudogenes that confirm that fossil record.

Humans and other apes share the same crippled mutations in damaged genes and on the reverse side, the theory of evolution predicts atavisms that reflect traits in ancestral species will be found. Since we share atavisms with chimps, this also confirms the theory.

There's also the fact that humans have one less chromosome than apes. When we look at human chromosome 2, it is an exact duplicate of the ape chromosome, except fused together.

There's also viral fragements that exist in both humans and apes.

Many predictions that are based off the ToE have been confirmed.

As a former fundamentalist and biblical literalist, I didn't come to accept evolution through faith. I fought it tooth and nail, but the evidence was, and still is, overwhelming.

I sure can.
But you have not done so yet - hand-waiving means nothing. Present on this thread the required evidence from science that proves man-chimp common ancestry? I don't think you can.

As a former fundamentalist and biblical literalist, I didn't come to accept evolution through faith. I fought it tooth and nail, but the evidence was, and still is, overwhelming.

If you accept Darwinian lore (and you do) then you do so via great faith - got science?

Barbarian chuckles:
Your error is in supposing that God has a physical body that looks like ours.

But I don't make that error

You sure did. Our similarity to God isn't a physical one. It's in our soul, not our bodies. God doesn't have feet and elbows and earlobes. C'mon.

God does not say man was once a fish.

He doesn't say all matter is made of atoms, either. He didn't say lots of things that are true. There's no point denying the evidence.

Interpretation:
Barb cannot support goo-to-you evolution using Holy Writ nor can he support it using the scientific method

Interpretation:
Zeke realizes his argument was faulty, and busily constructs a strawman to cover his retreat. Evolutionary theory isn't about "goo to you"; that's just what creationists say when they're embarrassed and can't think of anything else to say.

Venting might feel good at the time, but you have to live with the consequences thereafter.

Barbarian I'm not going to sit here and talk theology with you, I started a thread for that at your request and you declined to respond. Just think about something. Does the soul have an image? No one knows what God looks like but did Jesus not say if we see him we have seen the father? Did Isaiah, John, and Daniel not say they had visions of God sitting upon the thrown? Did God not tell Mosses he could not see his face but showed him his back? Sounds like God has a body like ours does it not? I am sure you will ignore it because it don't. help your view and you don't take the Bible literally. But yet you tell others they can not serve God by modifying his word when they believe his word and are not modifying it. You are the one modifying it to fit your beliefs.
You even said so you don't take it literal. God said he created all animals after their kind and created man in his image. I showed you how everything he created was in the opposite order of evolution. You believe God couldn't even get the order right.

I am in Chicago right now and don't have time to address everything but can you not admit the truth? Do you really deny the huge gaps in evolution. All you have is a bunch of twigs on a tree. Similarities can be explained by similar creation. Would God have to make everything without any similarities? Yet evolution claims microbes to man. That means the process of mutations which usually degrade information and cause diseases. Along with natural selection which only removes traits. Look at the complexity and variety of life. Do you really believe that process created what we see and observe. Do you not understand the features that the first microbe would of had to develop. The completely different genomes. The problem is when you look at the evidence believing God's word can't be true and Darwin is right, that's what you are going to make the evidence show you. When you look at it believeing God's word is true then the evidence shows you that. Think about that for a little bit open minded.

I know it won't mean much but we have a chemists in our church who works in the field who use to be a Roman Catholic until he said he stepped back and looked at the evidence from a different view and it was made clear. Many others have done the same. I know it won't mean much but just thank about it. Look at the evidence as Gods word being true. Maybe you won't see it I don't know. But can you at least admit you have no empirical evidence for microbes to man.

Barbarian I'm not going to sit here and talk theology with you,

And you can't talk about the evidence. Rock and a hard place, um?

I started a thread for that at your request and you declined to respond. Just think about something. Does the soul have an image? No one knows what God looks like but did Jesus not say if we see him we have seen the father? Did Isaiah, John, and Daniel not say they had visions of God sitting upon the thrown? Did God not tell Mosses he could not see his face but showed him his back? Sounds like God has a body like ours does it not?

Jesus says that God is a spirit. And he tells Thomas that a spirit has no body. So God can appear to us as He will, but he has no body.

God said he created all animals after their kind

But you refuse to accept the way He did it. He created you just as He created them, except He also gave you an immortal soul directly. Let Him be God.

Do you really deny the huge gaps in evolution.

Every science has huge gaps. What we know about evolution or chemistry or physics is quite small relative to what we don't know.

All you have is a bunch of twigs on a tree. Similarities can be explained by similar creation.

As you learned, that is confusing analogy with homology.

Would God have to make everything without any similarities?

I showed you many analogous things in living organisms. And I showed you many homologies that show common descent.

Yet evolution claims microbes to man.

So the evidence shows.

That means the process of mutations which usually degrade information

As you learned, all new mutations in a population increase information. I even showed you how to measure it.

and cause diseases.

And you learned that is wrong. Most mutations don't do much of anything.

Along with natural selection which only removes traits.

And that's wrong, too. It both removes traits, and preserves traits, directly determining the gene pool for the next generation. And that determines the possibilities for that generation.

Look at the complexity and variety of life. Do you really believe that process created what we see and observe.

God created it. It's just that He chose to use evolution, as He chose to use everything else in our world.

Do you not understand the features that the first microbe would of had to develop. The completely different genomes.

As you know, evolution doesn't produce completely new things. It's always a modification of something that came before.

The problem is when you look at the evidence believing God's word can't be true and Darwin is right,

Turns out God's word is true, and Darwin was right.

I know it won't mean much but we have a chemists in our church who works in the field who use to be a Roman Catholic until he said he stepped back and looked at the evidence from a different view and it was made clear.

If he wasn't able to find God as a Catholic, it's great that he was able to find Him elsewhere. God saves on hearts, not on theology.

Even honest creationists admit that the evidence supports evolution. If you're a Christian, you shouldn't be afraid of the truth.

Once again you modified his word to fit your beliefs. You left out some of my post and have contradictions in your answers.

It's directly observed. Can't do much better than that.

I think you're talking about something different to me. I am referring to the formation of new genera and higher taxons. You're scratching about with the odd molecular genetic piece of useless junk and claiming that as evolution.

You can claim all you like, but as Broom said, there hasn't been a new higher taxon for the last 2 million years. Evolution is dead in the water, and that's why it isn't doing anything of any significance at all.

Thos papers you quote below are useless pieces of claptrap in this context. Go find me a new genus that isn't the figment of some idiotic taxonomist's desire to amke a name for him/herself.

Barbarian observes:
As you know, YE creationism denies what God says about creation.[/quote]

I don't know that it does. Proof?

If you were more interested in what He had to say to you, it would be better.
I meant that I was not interested in what YE says.

I think it's important to listen to Him.
So why do you believe in evolution then?

As you learned, that's not how God did it. He uses nature for most things in this world. Why do you think He made it in the first place?
New genomes are not appearing anywhere. As I sad before, evolution is dead in the water from the POV of producing new significant features and thence taxa.

In the beginning, obviously new genomes were created all over the place. Since then, zilch.

But evolution theory demands that there be new genomes coming onstream. Where are they? Nowhere to be seen is the answer.

Barbarian asked about first genes:

(sound of goal posts being frantically repositioned)
Cells are a lot easier. It's no coincidence that the one structure that is absolutely essential to a cell is also the simplest and self-organizing. The cell membrane is a simple phospholipid bilayer that spontaneously forms vesicles in water.
I hear ignorance rampaging unchecked in this parade! You really don't know much about this, do you? Let me enlighten your darkness.
...the cell membrane has been found to be increasingly sophisticated. Not only is the protein-punctuated sandwich structure incredibly complicated, but organisms actively fine-tune its design as conditions change. For instance, the number and location of carbon-carbon double bonds, in the phospholipid tails in the lipid bilayer, are astonishingly modified in real-time to deal with temperature changes. A recent paper agreed that “the membrane is a biological device of a staggering complexity”:
http://darwins-god.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/heres-that-paper-on-cell-membranes-that.html

If you doubt that statement, go look at the linked paper if you want to feel sick.

That you can call the cell membrane simple and try to hand-wave it away is pretty pathetic in view of the above quote (and there are others, if you do a search).

Genetics. 2005 Jan;169(1):475-83. Epub 2004 Oct 16.
Variation after a selective sweep in a subdivided population.

And…

[...]

Honestly Barbarian, can't you see that these are jokes in the context of the production of new species, genera and any other taxa?

How 'beneficial' they really are remains to be seen, and any shouting that they are beneficial may turn out to be a trifle premature.

Until then, your case remains highly dubious to say the least, in the context we are discussing.
Barbarian observes:
You're wrong about that. Most mutations don't do much of anything.
That's exactly what I said. Did you read it, I wonder?

A few are harmful. A very few are useful. Natural selection sorts it out.
And right there is your biggest problem. If a VERY FEW are beneficial, then that VERY FEW cannot possibly have produced the Cambrian explosion (never mind the others) from the known pre-Cambrian critters. Not in the time available, anyway.

I asked you for some estimate of the rates of speciation. Any luck with finding that yet?

We can directly observe it.
No you can't. I'm not referring to those piffling cases you've dredged up from somewhere. I'm talking about serious observations of serious 'transformations'. Where are they?
You were fooled there, too. Kettlewell's data confirm natural selection in cases of industrial melanism. If you want to post what you think he faked, I'll show you how they fooled you.
Kettlewell's evidence, as I said, was the best example of NS known. Hooper criticised it, but quite a few have sprung to his defence. I wonder who's right.

If he was right, then you're back in the old, old hole. No production of new species took place, and BOTH forms of moth existed (and still exist today) when the experiment started.

The experiment merely showed the alteration in relative numbers of the two varieties of moth as a result of environmental changes (which changes, incidentally, have now been reversed with the Clean Air Act of 1968).

No evolution there, I'm afraid.

Barbarian observes:
Wrong again. Natural Selection CANNOT CAUSE evolution. It selects from existing populations as shown above, and can be reversed.

No new taxa are produced.
Surprise. In one case, it was directly observed to produce a new, irreducibly complex enzyme system.
For heaven's sake, Barbarian, can we talk about something significant, without all this scratching round for trifles? Are you referring to Lenski, whose 35,000 generations of E.coli have successfully produced nothing new?

Mind, there's an excellent question there arising from his complete failure.

If 35,000 generations have produced 0 new species or anything else, then how long do you think it would take to produce the millions of new species etc in the Cambrian?
Barbarian continues:
That's not good enough, I'm afraid - merely another example of special pleading.

If a new genus arises somewhere, colonising a new environment, possessing entirely new features, such as an exoskeleton, how does the new organism know how to handle it? Where does the instinct pre-requirement come from?

Remember, there are no parents to copy! Like the first bat, bird, sea-urchin, swallow, shearwater etc etc.

And yet, we find soft-bodied or partially scleritized organisms in the Precambrian. When full-body exoskeletons evolved, there was a burst of speciation. That’s the “Cambrian Explosion.” Exactly what evolutionary theory predicts.
Complete junk.

Just look at the question-begging you are forced to do. 'When full-body exoskeletons evolved'.

What is the subject we're arguing here? Yes, whether evolution occurred or not. You may not assume the case is proven. You need to prove it.

It’s already done. An extensive and varied Ediacaran fauna existed in the Precambrian. Surprise.
You seem to spend your life in a continual state ot astonishment.

The various elements of the Ediacara fauna are united by one common character, none have any hard parts. There is no evidence of mineralisation in any fossil so far found

No hard parts? Then what's this guff about partial scleritisation?

(claim that disorder does not increase information)

Barbarian observes:

For the form itself, just the radius, thickness, material, and color. Four things.

Barbarian asks:
Then picture it dropped on a hard surface, where it shatters. How much information would it take to completely describe it then?

Much, much more. Now you have to describe every fragment as to shape, in detail. As you see, disorder requires more information than order.
Wrong again. First, you don’t have to regard it so.
Yes you do.

The information about the plate is complete without that. But even then, if you wanted to account for every molecule, you’d still have to describe the location of every molecule in every particular fragment, which would take much more information than describing it in the unbroken plate.
Surprise.
Further nonsense. If I have described every molecule, then there is nothing left to describe, wouldn't you agree?

Barbarian chuckles:
But as we have seen, there are no significant 'favourable mutations'. Every one that has been touted as the saviour of evolution is a minor, trifling piece of insignificant value to the greater scheme of things!

How you can presume to say that 'favourable mutations' can produce 4 separate wing types, the limbs of tetrapods and all the mighty differences between the phyla and kingdoms, I don't really know.

With the evidence we have before us, which you have presented, evolution is going, and has gone nowhere since the very Cambrian and pre-Cambrian times.

So take it away. It's no use whatsoever.

See some above. How many do you want to see?
I'd like to see ONE, SINGLE, materially significant mutation which has genuinely produced something new: a new organ would do nicely thanks.
You have been shown. It's your turn to show that non-intelligence can produce intelligence. Let's have a mighty P_A_P_E_RRRRR!

So because man can’t yet make a computer more intelligent than a man, you think God can’t make a world where intelligence arises from His creation? Sounds like you’re putting way too much faith in man, and not nearly enough in God. And what happens if someday we figure out how to make a computer smarter than we are? You've set man above God. Even if we use a computer we made to make the smarter computer, we still have greater intelligence produced by lesser intelligence.
This is nonsense, don't you think?
True. But M and NS are unintelligent, blind, random, forces, which are going nowhere. Or do you believe in teleology?

So you think hurricanes are impossible? How so? Non-random processes can easily arise from random processes. Would you like an example?
What are you talking about? Try and make some sense, willya?
Hypotheses are undependable. That’s why we go out and test them against the real world to see if they fit. If not, they are discarded and modified until they do fit.
Like hell they are. Why is evolution still here, then?
Natural selection gave us brains that are capable of sorting out things and understanding the world.
You gotta be kidding, man. How can you possibly talk such nonsense?
As God intended. He used nature instead of magic, for reasons we don’t entirely understand. But He did a terrific job of it.
I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken there. The instinctive phenomena alone finish this off. They appear magical, but that is because they were divinely implanted in His creatures. We can define that as magic if you like, but that's up to you.

I wouldn't do so myself, but...

But God is spirit, not physical.

Spirit is like the substance of thinking.
Man, physically, was created to be able to mentally reflect the spirit of God inside man's mind.

When Jesus says, "I am the Truth," he acknowledges this idea of man imaging the Almighty external world of this existence, or in a word, Reality."

God is all that is external to us, and is not us...

thinkingimages.jpg

... the Holy Spirit, the image of God, is present inside ourmind when our thinking images the TRUTH, or the picture of Reality inside ourmind.

Our similarity to God isn't a physical one.
You are simply arguing with yourself--and losing the argument. No one on this thread is saying God has a physical body. The fact remains - neither science or the Bible teach the nonsense that man evolved from "lower forms". Man is the result of God's special creation - man is not the result of random evolutionary possesses that did not have him in mind. Adam does not have a "father after the flesh" - Adam did not descent from "beasts of the field". You have been deceived by materialists. Wake up.

Venting might feel good at the time, but you have to live with the consequences thereafter.

Then stop venting and let go of Darwinian mythology and come in out of the cold. Darwinism is atheism.

But God is spirit, not physical.
Again, no one has said God is 'physical'. God created man in His image via special creation. He has endowed us with the ability to reason and when we use our noodle to reason we easily see that Darwinian mythology is just that - mythology passed off as science. That, my friend is reality.

Again, no one has said God is 'physical'. God created man in His image via special creation. He has endowed us with the ability to reason and when we use our noodle to reason we easily see that Darwinian mythology is just that - mythology passed off as science. That, my friend is reality.

We agree that the image of our god is modeled by the use of our god-given ability to reason and, hence, see the Truth,...

John 14:6 "I am the Truth"....

Back