Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Faith alone questions

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
So mary was simply biological not actually related to her parents .

Her mother nor dad aren't her parents ,didn't teach her.
Of course but we are not talking biological child but her soul which was created by God Immaculate Gen 3:15 Lk 1:28 Lk 1:49 rev 12:1

Redemption, Justification, Sanctification, and Salvation!

Redemption: 100 percent the work of God, thru the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ! All mankind are redeemed in Christ! Eph 2
Galatians 2:16 3:13
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law...
Christ alone accomplished the redemption of mankind apart from any works on our part!
Hi Don, I agree (about the Lord's redemptive work being necessarily monergistic).

Here is an excerpt from a short article about this topic (about the definition and the benefits of His redemptive work in our lives).

The word redeem means “to buy out.” The term was used specifically in reference to the purchase of a slave’s freedom. The application of this term to Christ’s death on the cross is quite telling. If we are “redeemed,” then our prior condition was one of slavery. God has purchased our freedom, and we are no longer in bondage to sin or to the Old Testament law.
The benefits of redemption include eternal life (Revelation 5:9-10), forgiveness of sins (Ephesians 1:7), righteousness (Romans 5:17), freedom from the law’s curse (Galatians 3:13), adoption into God’s family (Galatians 4:5), deliverance from sin’s bondage (Titus 2:14; 1 Peter 1:14-18), peace with God (Colossians 1:18-20), and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). To be redeemed, then, is to be forgiven, holy, justified, free, adopted, and reconciled. See also Psalm 130:7-8; Luke 2:38; and Acts 20:28. ~https://www.gotquestions.org/redemption.html (the complete article and video can be found at that link)

My question is, if EVERYONE has been "redeemed in Christ" (as you just indicated above) how is it that some are still lost? (I'm assuming that since you are Roman Catholic, you are not a universalist).

Thanks!

God bless you!!

--David

If donadams is an R.C., then I doubt very much he is monergistic.
That is most likely true, of course (of course, Don can clear this up by telling us what he believes and why if he'd care to, and whether or not he is RC too :)).

I used "monergistic" in reference to what Don just said about "redemption" (since he indicated that it was a work that God alone needed to do for us).

God bless you!!

--David

I used "monergistic" in reference to what he said about "redemption" (since he indicated that it was a work that God alone needed to do for us).
He may have said something that gave you this idea; but Roman Catholicism is a works based religion so my guess is that further interrogation will find donadams either doesn't believe that or defines terms differently than we do.
I'm pretty sure he said one has to be baptized to be saved for example.
Aside: Many of his statements are non-sequiturs.

Do you have to choose to believe?

If you hear the Gospel message you must choose to either believe or not believe.

Jesus explains:

Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. Luke 8:12

• lest they should believe and be saved.

These who heard the message chose not to believe, for if they believed, they would have been saved.

Believe = Saved

JLB

I’m not familiar with these concerns

In the first moment of her creation by God she was immaculate

God provided a husband for her but they never had sexual relations

Rom 3:23 refers to original sin

Mary chose to die to resemble her son

Bible proves that Mary most holy, ever virgin mother of God & mother of our salvation is not a sinner!

Lk 1:28 Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou among women.

How can God fill a sinner with grace, and remain a sinner?
Hail Mary full of grace!

How can the Lord be with a sinner?
The lord is with thee!

How can sinner be blessed!
Blessed art thou, and all generations shall call me blessed!

Lk 1: 43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

How can a sinner be the mother of God?

Lk 1: 45 And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.

How could sinner be faithful?

Lk 1: 46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,

How could a sinner magnify the Lord?

Lk 1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

How could sinner be humble?

Lk 1:49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.

How could sinner be the immaculate conception and the have the Holy Spirit accomplish the Miraculous conception of Jesus in Her?

Matt 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,

23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

How could sinner be a perpetual Virgin bringing forth the savior of the world?

Jn 2 how could Christ obey a sinner and perform a miracle in which his disciples believed in him?

Jn 19:27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

How could sinner be our spiritual mother?

Lk 2:30 I have seen my salvation!

How could a sinner be the mother of our salvation?
A good tree!

Biblical principle:

Matthew 7:18
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

The fruit of the tree of Mary is our salvation! Matt 1:21 Lk 2:30 Jesus is our salvation! This reflects the immaculate conception of Mary and the miraculous conception of Jesus!
Lk 1:30 Mary found our salvation!
Lk 1:38 consented to our salvation!

A good tree (immaculate conception) Lk 1:49 God has done this and it is marvelous in our eyes!

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Matt 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

A sinner would be an evil tree with evil fruit, but the fruit of Mary is salvation!

Mary brings in the good fruits of our redemption and salvation!

So Mary CANNOT be a sinner or a bad tree!

Mary’s throne is the throne of divine grace! Heb 4:16

Hi Don, I agree (about the Lord's redemptive work being necessarily monergistic).

Here is an excerpt from a short article about this topic (about the definition and the benefits of His redemptive work in our lives).

The word redeem means “to buy out.” The term was used specifically in reference to the purchase of a slave’s freedom. The application of this term to Christ’s death on the cross is quite telling. If we are “redeemed,” then our prior condition was one of slavery. God has purchased our freedom, and we are no longer in bondage to sin or to the Old Testament law.
The benefits of redemption include eternal life (Revelation 5:9-10), forgiveness of sins (Ephesians 1:7), righteousness (Romans 5:17), freedom from the law’s curse (Galatians 3:13), adoption into God’s family (Galatians 4:5), deliverance from sin’s bondage (Titus 2:14; 1 Peter 1:14-18), peace with God (Colossians 1:18-20), and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). To be redeemed, then, is to be forgiven, holy, justified, free, adopted, and reconciled. See also Psalm 130:7-8; Luke 2:38; and Acts 20:28. ~https://www.gotquestions.org/redemption.html (the complete article and video can be found at that link)

My question is, if EVERYONE has been "redeemed in Christ" (as you just indicated above) how is it that some are still lost? (I'm assuming that since you are Roman Catholic, you are not a universalist).

Thanks!

God bless you!!

--David
Cos they don’t accept the next step of justification or applying redemption to thier souls in the sacraments primary faith and baptism thanks

If donadams is an R.C., then I doubt very much he is monergistic.
Nope
We must cooperate
Faith and baptism

Effects of faith & baptism!

Ez 36:25-27 washed in baptism, with a new heart and the Spirit
Jn 3:5 born again in baptism
Mk 16:16 faith & baptist
Acts 2:38 repentance & baptism
Acts 8:36-38 faith & baptism
Acts 22:16 baptism washes away sin
Rom 6:3 died with Christ
Col 2:12 risen with Christ
1 cor 12:13 baptized into the church
Gal 3:27 by baptism put on Christ
2 Tim 1:10 eph 2:1 and 5 brought to life
2 cor 5:17 new creation
Eph 1:13 sealed by the Holy Spirit
Eph 4:5 one faith, one baptism
Eph 5:26 faith and baptism
Titus 3:5 baptismal regeneration
1 pet 1:2 washed in Christ’s blood
1 pet 2:9 the kingdom of light
1 pet 3:20-21 baptism saves us!

We must choose to continue and endure to the end believing, Jn 3:16 abiding Jn 15:1-5 suffering Phil 1:29

He may have said something that gave you this idea; but Roman Catholicism is a works based religion so my guess is that further interrogation will find donadams either doesn't believe that or defines terms differently than we do.
I'm pretty sure he said one has to be baptized to be saved for example.
Aside: Many of his statements are non-sequiturs.
Not works
Faith and works as scripture says

James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Faith is implied
Not works alone
Not faith alone

But faith and works united to Christ in grace

Apart from Christ you can do nothing so with Christ we can do all things

Matt 7:14 narrow road leads to life
Jn 15:1-5 abide in Him
Lk 1:4 be instructed
Acts 2:38 acts 8:36-38 Matt 28:19 Jn 3:5 Jn 3:22 ez 36:25 baptism
2 thes 1:8 obedience

Mary all powerful advocate!
Help of Christian’s!

Mary ever virgin, mother of God, is all powerful in her prayers!

Mary’s prayers are all powerful not cos she is God but because her son is God!

and on becoming man He (Jesus) obeyed his own commandments

you might check out the one that says “honor Thy father and mother”

“My hour has not come”

The time set by almighty God for the public ministry of Christ had not come, Jesus Christ still performed the miracle cos his mother interceded, thus a higher law, “honor thy father and mother” if ANYONE else asked it would NOT have been done!
John 2

and cos of her intercession the disciples believed in Him!
Jn 2:11

There is another point that Jesus is making when he says: what does it have to do with you and me? My hour hath not yet come. Indicating that when it does come Mary will have a prominent role to play. See Lk 2:35

Praise of Mary and the saints redounds to the glory of God and Christ, cos Mary and the saints are what God made them, it is His handiwork (Lk 1:49 Lk 1:28) and the graces they have come from the merits of Christ’s passion and death.

Likewise an Attack on Mary and the saints, or the authority of the apostles or the church or rejection of such doctrines is and attack on God and on Christ! And His teaching authority in the church by the successors of the apostles!
Acts 9:4 Eph 5:32

If you hear the Gospel message you must choose to either believe or not believe.

Jesus explains:

Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. Luke 8:12

These who heard the message chose not to believe, for if they believed, they would have been saved.

Believe = Saved

JLB
Not until the end Matt 24:13 Mk 13:13 not without baptism which is included in what we must believe

You can’t find faith alone in scripture
Faith alone avails nothing 1 cor 13:2
Faith and baptism Mk 16:16 acts 8:37:38
Faith and works Phil 1:29
Faith and works James 2:24

Nope
We must cooperate
Faith and baptism
I assumed you are a synergist.

Likewise an Attack on Mary and the saints, or the authority of the apostles or the church or rejection of such doctrines is and attack on God and on Christ! And His teaching authority in the church by the successors of the apostles!
Acts 9:4 Eph 5:32
That's one point of view.

authority in the church by the successors of the apostles!
... and here R.C.s departed from God's word and set men up to make salvation dependent upon obeying R.C. church doctrine rather than sola scriptura.
When you understand the idolatry of the mass, that propitiatory sacrifice of Christ can never save anyone, the treasury of merit, indulgences, the excess merit of Mary, purgatory, that one righteousness consists of that of Christ, Mary, the saints and oneself, sacraments, that the priest is another Christ … then one does not have the gospel of that leads to salvation. James White, See Galatians 1:6-9

Jesus explains:

Believe = Saved

JLB
Is the church necessary for salvation?

Not until the end Matt 24:13 Mk 13:13 not without baptism which is included in what we must believe

You can’t find faith alone in scripture
Faith alone avails nothing 1 cor 13:2
Faith and baptism Mk 16:16 acts 8:37:38
Faith and works Phil 1:29
Faith and works James 2:24

You have me mixed up with someone else.

I agree faith alone is not found in scripture.

Faith must have the corresponding act or “work” of obedience in order for faith to be “activated” (alive) and therefore “complete” (perfect) and able to function.

Otherwise faith remains dormant or dead, (inactive) as a body without the spirit is incomplete and dead.

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26

Not the works of baptism, or sacraments, or good works or the works of the law, or works that earn a wage, but the corresponding act or “work” of obedience.

EXAMPLE:

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? James 2:21

Abraham did not do good works or works that earned justification, rather Abraham obey what God specifically told him to do, Whch was offer his son Isaac on the altar.

When God spoke to Abraham to offer his son Isaac, he now received faith by hearing God speak His word to him.

At this point if Abraham, disobeyed the word of faith, he would not have been justified.

Same with Noah —

By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith. Hebrews 11:7

Noah obeyed with godly fear for 120 years until the Ark was complete.

Abraham again obeyed the specific word from God by which he received faith —

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. Hebrews 11:8

This is why Paul calls it the obedience of faith

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26

That’s why it’s called obeying the Gospel

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? Romans 10:16

JLB

Is the church necessary for salvation?

The Church is those who are saved; the body of Christ.

Jesus Christ and the cross He died on for us is what is necessary for salvation; believing and therefore obeying the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

His Church, not the Catholic Church or the Protestant Church is who preaches His Gospel, teaches His doctrine and instructs His commandments, and are necessary for that work which leads people to salvation.

JLB

I assumed you are a synergist.

That's one point of view.

... and here R.C.s departed from God's word and set men up to make salvation dependent upon obeying R.C. church doctrine rather than sola scriptura.
When you understand the idolatry of the mass, that propitiatory sacrifice of Christ can never save anyone, the treasury of merit, indulgences, the excess merit of Mary, purgatory, that one righteousness consists of that of Christ, Mary, the saints and oneself, sacraments, that the priest is another Christ … then one does not have the gospel of that leads to salvation. James White, See Galatians 1:6-9
James white really? At least it ain’t jack schick

So you don’t have any requirements for salvation in the new covenant?

Faith must have the corresponding act or “work” of obedience in order for faith to be “activated” (alive) and therefore “complete” (perfect) and able to function.

Otherwise faith remains dormant or dead, (inactive) as a body without the spirit is incomplete and dead.

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26

Not the works of baptism, or sacraments, or good works or the works of the law, or works that earn a wage, but the corresponding act or “work” of obedience.

EXAMPLE:

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? James 2:21

Abraham did not do good works or works that earned justification, rather Abraham obey what God specifically told him to do, Whch was offer his son Isaac on the altar.

When God spoke to Abraham to offer his son Isaac, he now received faith by hearing God speak His word to him.

At this point if Abraham, disobeyed the word of faith, he would not have been justified.

Same with Noah —

By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith. Hebrews 11:7

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. Hebrews 11:8

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? Romans 10:16

JLB
And Christ commanded the apostles to teach and sanctify all men Matt 28:19

The Church is those who are saved; the body of Christ.

Jesus Christ and the cross He died on for us is what is necessary for salvation; believing and therefore obeying the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

His Church, not the Catholic Church or the Protestant Church is who preaches His Gospel, teaches His doctrine and instructs His commandments, and are necessary for that work which leads people to salvation.

JLB
Spiritual invisible church is condemned by the apostolic council in the early church
Matt 5:14

Saved really?

Not bible

Matt 24:13 he who endures to the end shall be saved.

Mark 13:13
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

Heb 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

1. Romans 11:22 – God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness

2. Colossians 1:21-23 – holy and blameless, if you continue in the faith"

3. The race of faith: the example of Paul

4. Hebrews 12:22-25: "we shall not escape if we turn away from Him"

5. Hebrews 4:1-3, 9-12: "strive to enter the rest of God"

6.Hebrews 6:4-9 – those who became partakers of the holy spirit and fell away

7. Hebrews 10:23-29, 35-39: "if we sin willfully", "if anyone draws back".

8. Matthew 24:13: He that endures to the end, the same shall be saved

9. Hebrews 3:4-6: Holding fast our confidence firm until the end

10. Matthew 24:13: "But the one who endures to the end will be saved"

11. 1 John 2:24-25 – "if what you heard from the beginning abides in you"

12. 2 John 8-9 : to "everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ

13. 2 Peter 1:5-11 : "Make every effort to supplement your faith"

14. Philippians 2:12-16: "work out your salvation with fear and trembling"

15. 1 Timothy 6:10-16: the love of money

16. Galatians 5:2-4 "Severed from Christ"

17. 2 Timothy 2:11-13: "if we deny him, he will also deny us"

18. James 5:19-20: the wandered brother

19. Some will abandon the faith

20. 1 Timothy 5:8: "he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever"

22. The real family of Jesus: "Those who hear the Word of God and do it"

23. 1 Corinthians 5:5: "so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord"

24. Peter 2: "It would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness"

25. Jude: "Turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness" - a much relevant warning

26. 1 Cor. 9:27 ....Lest I myself might become a castaway

27. Heb 1:14 shall be heirs of salvation

Romans 1:5
By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
(Must remain obedient)

(He who endured to the end) one who dies in a state of grace united to Jesus Christ by faith and baptism!
Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38 1 pet 3:21
Matt 24:13

Romans 13:11
And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

So salvation by “faith alone” is completely false and impossible if baptism is rejected!

EXAMPLE:

Same with Noah —

JLB
Is suffer required for salvation?
Is suffering required for being glorified?

Back