Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Faith alone?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Bible

Faith alone! That means faith alone! Period!
No sacraments ez 36:25-27 Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5 acts 2:38-39 acts 8:36-38 Titus 3:5 1 pet 3:20-21
No repentance Lk 3:3
No suffering Mk 8:34 Mk 10:21 Phil 1:29
No hope rom 8:24
No charity 1 cor 13:2 1 cor 13:13
No love of God duet. 6:5
No grace Jn 1:16-17
No nothing but faith alone!
Alone means alone!

No sacraments ez 36:25-27 Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5 acts 2:38-39 acts 8:36-38 Titus 3:5 1 pet 3:20-21
Alone means alone!
I agree given you have defined "Faith alone" in grammatical sense as opposed to its usual theological meaning.

Alone means alone!
A "faith" without an object is no faith at all. It is presumption. It is an attitude of "If I believe hard enough, it might happen". But what is the person believing in? Faith itself? That is nothing more than existentialism, which is faith in faith.

Faith in repentance, loving God, self improvement, Allah, Hindu gods, Buddhism, manifestations, one's favourite pastor or preacher, a particular church which could be "truer" than all the others, will not save.

So, what is saving faith? It is a total trust in the finished work of Christ on the Cross, that when I commit my life to Jesus, when I come up to the Judgment, He would have taken the guilt and punishment for my sin on Himself and exchanged it for His righteousness, and God will declare me acquitted.

The Scripture says, "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed to Him against that Day (the Day of Judgment)." Also, "The work of God is that we believe on Him whom God has sent", namely, Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. The Scripture says that there is no other name under which we can be saved, than the name of Jesus Christ.

A genuinely saved person shows the fruits of righteousness, but these are not good works through our own effort to make

A "faith" without an object is no faith at all. It is presumption. It is an attitude of "If I believe hard enough, it might happen". But what is the person believing in? Faith itself? That is nothing more than existentialism, which is faith in faith.

Faith in repentance, loving God, self improvement, Allah, Hindu gods, Buddhism, manifestations, one's favourite pastor or preacher, a particular church which could be "truer" than all the others, will not save.

So, what is saving faith? It is a total trust in the finished work of Christ on the Cross, that when I commit my life to Jesus, when I come up to the Judgment, He would have taken the guilt and punishment for my sin on Himself and exchanged it for His righteousness, and God will declare me acquitted.

The Scripture says, "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed to Him against that Day (the Day of Judgment)." Also, "The work of God is that we believe on Him whom God has sent", namely, Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. The Scripture says that there is no other name under which we can be saved, than the name of Jesus Christ.

A genuinely saved person shows the fruits of righteousness, but these are not good works through our own effort to make
My last post was incomplete and I couldn't edit it. The fruits of repentance are the good works that the Holy Spirit does in us as part of Jesus' workmanship in genuine converts to Him.

Alone means alone!

I agree.

Faith alone is not biblical.

JLB

Thanks
What finished work of Christ?
does not christ continue his work of redemption thru his church and the apostles?

Thanks
What finished work of Christ?
does not christ continue his work of redemption thru his church and the apostles?
The finished work of Christ was when He suffered on the Cross to take upon Himself the guilt and punishment of our sin. It took three hours of suffering to achieve the completion of God's plan of salvation for mankind. That is the reason why at the end of the three hours, Jesus said, "It is finished!" and then gave up HIs spirit to the Father.

The preaching of the Gospel by the Apostles was to announce and declare what Jesus did for them on the Cross and that He can do the same for their hearers.

The finished work of Christ was when He suffered on the Cross to take upon Himself the guilt and punishment of our sin. It took three hours of suffering to achieve the completion of God's plan of salvation for mankind. That is the reason why at the end of the three hours, Jesus said, "It is finished!" and then gave up HIs spirit to the Father.

The preaching of the Gospel by the Apostles was to announce and declare what Jesus did for them on the Cross and that He can do the same for their hearers.

Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. Hebrews 7:25

Then there is His return where He fights and removes the wicked, raises the dead in Christ, and catches up those who are alive and remain.

Behold, the day of the LORD is coming,
And your spoil will be divided in your midst.
For I will gather all the nations to battle against Jerusalem;
The city shall be taken,
The houses rifled,
And the women ravished.
Half of the city shall go into captivity,
But the remnant of the people shall not be cut off from the city.
Then the LORD will go forth
And fight against those nations,
As He fights in the day of battle.
And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives,
Which faces Jerusalem on the east.
And the Mount of Olives shall be split in two,
From east to west,
Making a very large valley;
Half of the mountain shall move toward the north
And half of it toward the south.
Then you shall flee through My mountain valley,
For the mountain valley shall reach to Azal.
Yes, you shall flee
As you fled from the earthquake
In the days of Uzziah king of Judah.
Thus the LORD my God will come,
And all the saints with You.
Zechariah 14:1-5

Then He judges His people, at the judgement seat of Christ.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. 2 Corinthians 5:10

There is much left for our Lord to do, before He enters His rest.

JLB

It is finished! How do you know what the it is?
The it is the Passover sacrifice of christ
Those are the words the high priest must say at the consummation of the passover
Christ is the new covenant Passover sacrifice Jn 1:29
1 cor 5:6-8
But his work of redemption continues in his apostles and the holy church
Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 mph 2:20 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

Jas 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
Jas 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
Jas 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
Jas 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
Jas 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Jas 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
Jas 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
Jas 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
Jas 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

enough said!!!

It is finished! How do you know what the it is?
The it is the Passover sacrifice of christ
Those are the words the high priest must say at the consummation of the passover
Christ is the new covenant Passover sacrifice Jn 1:29
1 cor 5:6-8
But his work of redemption continues in his apostles and the holy church
Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 mph 2:20 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15
It is finished means the fulfilment of the Temple law of sacrifice once and for all through Christ Jesus who paid our debt in fulfilling the Temple law when He cried out to the Father, "into your hands I commend my spirit."

The death of Jesus
Luke 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

John 19:28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
John 19:29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.
John 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Into Your Hand I/we Commit My/our Spirit in total surrender to God

Psa 31:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.
Psa 31:2 Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me.
Psa 31:3 For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.
Psa 31:4 Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength.
Psa 31:5 Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.

altar?
Jas 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
Jas 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
Jas 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

enough said!!!
Many verses with no thesis as to the point trying to be made.

The question put simply IMO is which of the following is true:

1) Faith causes works + salvation
2) Faith + works causes salvation (Roman Catholic doctrine and some protestant)

Gal 5:2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision [or any other work like water baptism], Christ will be of no advantage to you. 3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law.

Eph. 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

These verses (and others) support conclusion #1.
Gal. 5:2 suggests strongly that if you believe conclusion #2 then "Christ will be of no advantage to you". Chose wisely.

Many verses with no thesis as to the point trying to be made.

Gal 5:2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision [or any other work like water baptism], Christ will be of no advantage to you. 3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law.

Eph. 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

These verses (and others) support conclusion #1.
Gal. 5:2 suggests strongly that if you believe conclusion #2 then "Christ will be of no advantage to you". Chose wisely.
Baptism isn't a work of the Law.
Nor are repentance from sin or enduring faithfully until the end.
It was the works of the Law that Paul wrote against.
In fact baptism was commanded by the Lord Jesus before His ascension. (Matt 28:19)
Faith causes people to repent of sin and get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins.

Baptism isn't a work of the Law
Work is a person’s actions or deeds. Work is that which we perform for some kind of reward. We work at our jobs and expect to receive a paycheck for it.
A work is an activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.

Baptism is a work by definition. The law is any instruction of God.

If one believes HE MUST save himself by his obedience to God's instructions (works) then "Christ will be of no advantage to you".

It was the works of the Law that Paul wrote against.
Convenient interpretation. The verses I quoted don't mention the Law. You are adding the Law to justify your belief.

Romans 3:28
For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law. [But not apart from works that are not part of the law according to Hopeful]

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast ...
We are to believe that one is saved by doing deeds and yet cannot brag about bringing about his own salvation??

If you are saved by your works, let me be the first to congratulate you for your part in Saving yourself. Well done, good and faithful servant.:clap

Work is a person’s actions or deeds. Work is that which we perform for some kind of reward. We work at our jobs and expect to receive a paycheck for it.
A work is an activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.

Baptism is a work by definition. The law is any instruction of God.

If one believes HE MUST save himself by his obedience to God's instructions (works) then "Christ will be of no advantage to you".

Convenient interpretation. The verses I quoted don't mention the Law. You are adding the Law to justify your belief.

Romans 3:28
For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law. [But not apart from works that are not part of the law according to Hopeful]

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast ...
We are to believe that one is saved by doing deeds and yet cannot brag about bringing about his own salvation??

If you are saved by your works, let me be the first to congratulate you for your part in Saving yourself. Well done, good and faithful servant.:clap
It grieves me that you can't understand that the works Paul wrote against were only the works of the Mosaic Law.
His writings succinctly go against circumcision and dietary Laws.
Were we to "outlaw" every action, we would also outlaw belief, an action, and confession, an action, and faith itself.
The "faith alone" movement is a trick of the devil designed to make men keep walking in sin, with no recourse.

Paul himself wrote about water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,, and repentance from sin, and enduring until the end, and dozens of other things to keep us walking in the light instead of in sin.
Don't fool your self by following such a wacky anti-doctrine.

Reactions: JLB

None of the above “theories” have anything to do with the principles of Salvation that are taught in the New Testament.

Faith must have obedience (not the works of the law) or it remains dead, inactive, and incomplete; unable to justify and unable to save.

We are saved by grace through faith. This is how we are born again, regenerated, in which we are made a new creation ”in Christ”.

This comes by obeying the Gospel of Jesus Christ; the Gospel truth.

In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.
Ephesians 1:13-14

• after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation;

Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,
1 Peter 1:22-23

• you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit

Only those who obey the Gospel, will be saved.

This is the principle of faith; the obedience of faith.

JLB

Last edited:
Don't fool your self by following such a wacky anti-doctrine.

Amen.

Any doctrine that teaches against the doctrine of Christ is anti-Christ.

”anti” means against.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him, Hebrews 5:9

JLB

Last edited:
It grieves me that you can't understand that the works Paul wrote against were only the works of the Mosaic Law.
Well, you assume you are correct but give not scriptural evidence to back it up as I did and do below.
His writings succinctly go against circumcision and dietary Laws.
You missed the context. It is OK to be circumcised. It is not OK if you believe circumcision is a requirement of salvation, in which case "Christ will be of no benefit to you". Similarly, if you consider water baptism or any other WORK to be a condition of salvation, "Christ will be of no benefit to you" because you put faith in yourself for salvation instead of Christ alone.
Gal. 5:2 Notice, it is I, Paul, who tells you that if you receive circumcision [as a supposed requirement of salvation], Christ will be of no benefit to you [for you will lack the faith in Christ that is necessary for salvation]. AMP

You apparently and conveniently split WORKS for SALVATION into:
You cannot do works of the law for salvation
You can do works not of the law for salvation

Galatians 2:21 I do not ignore or nullify the [gracious gift of the] grace of God [His amazing, unmerited favor], for if righteousness comes through [observing] the Law, then Christ died needlessly. [His suffering and death would have had no purpose whatsoever.]”

Paul’s insistence (1) that there is only one gospel—justification by faith alone in Christ’s work alone (Romans 3:27, Romans 3:28; Romans 4:5; Romans 10:4; Galatians 2:16a, Galatians 2:16b; Galatians 3:10, Galatians 3:11, Galatians 3:26; Philippians 3:8a, Philippians 3:8b), (2) that any other “gospel” is not the gospel, (3) that those who teach any other “gospel” stand under the anathema of God (Galatians 1:8, Galatians 1:9), and (4) that those who rely to any degree on their own works for their salvation nullify the grace of God (Romans 11:5–6), make void the cross work of Christ (Galatians 2:21; Galatians 5:2), become debtors to keep the entire law (Galatians 5:3), and in becoming such “fall from grace” (Galatians 5:4), that is, place themselves again under the curse of the law. As for the four church fathers named above—and many others like them—it is neither my nor their defenders’ place to assure the Christian world that surely God justified them by faith alone even though they themselves did not hold to a sola fide view of justification. To judge an individual’s salvation is God’s province and His alone. Therefore, I will not speculate one way or the other about their salvation. But I will say that our attitude should, with Paul, ever be: “Let God’s truth be inviolate, though every man becomes thereby a liar” (Romans 3:4). What I mean by this in the present context is that the clear teaching of the Word of God should be upheld and we should not look for reasons to avoid it, even if the alternative would force us to conclude that these fathers—and all others like them—were not saved. Robert Reymond A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith

Were we to "outlaw" every action, we would also outlaw belief, an action, and confession, an action, and faith itself.
Agreed. It is not my contention that we stop any work. Works are the RESULT of belief. If you have NO WORK, then you don't have salvific belief. I will spell it out again. I state that Salvation is by FAITH ALONE and this faith will cause one to do works (obey God). The counter to this belief is the you must have FAITH and do WORKS to be saved. There is a subtle difference. I don't perceive you comprehend the difference.

The "faith alone" movement is a trick of the devil designed to make men keep walking in sin, with no recourse.
Again, you give no scriptural evidence. I do. Thus I can state:
The "faith + works" movement is a trick of the devil designed to make men keep walking in sin, with no recourse.
Gal. 5:2 Notice, it is I, Paul, who tells you that if you receive circumcision [as a supposed requirement of salvation], Christ will be of no benefit to you [for you will lack the faith in Christ that is necessary for salvation]. AMP

Gill - his view of works for salvation rendered Christ unprofitable, made his death to be in vain, his sacrifice of no effect, and his righteousness useless: besides, Christ is a whole Savior, or none at all; to join anything with him and his righteousness, in the business of justification and salvation, is interpreted by him as a contempt and neglect of him, as laying him aside, and to such persons he is of no profit; and if he is not, what they have, and whatsoever they do, will be of no advantage; wealth and riches, yea, the whole world could it be gained, their works and righteousness, whatever show they make before men, God has declared shall not profit them; and trusting to these renders Christ unprofitable to them.

Matthew-Henry: Christ will not be the Savior of any who will not own and rely upon him as their only Savior. Let us take heed to the warnings and persuasions of the apostle to steadfastness in the doctrine and liberty of the gospel. All true Christians, being taught by the Holy Spirit, wait for eternal life, the reward of righteousness, and the object of their hope, as the gift of God by faith in Christ; and not for the sake of their own works.

The finished work of Christ was when He suffered on the Cross to take upon Himself the guilt and punishment of our sin.

There was definitely a work of Christ that was finished upon the Cross. But does that mean that Christ has finished his works? Jesus said in my Fathers house there are many mansions, I go and prepare a place for you. Was that work completed on the cross, or did that work only begin after the cross?

Last edited:
Back