Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study Galations 2:20

I've been praying His word over my life lately. Psalm 91...Ephesians 3:14-21.

You can't go wrong praying the word over yourself.

That is sooo true my friend. George Mueller said the same as you. Pray the Word of God over yourself, especially the Psalms. Those are very important words there you young wipper-snapper.

This exchange takes place in the believer’s spirit; Satan out and Christ in. All soul salvation was of self-effort, and the person had to do something to make it happen.
An example of this would be Abraham, who was said to be a great man of faith, but the Scripture states that what made him a great man was his obedience, which is self-effort. Obedience salvation requires that you do something to make it so. All salvation in the Old Testament was soulish with no exchange taking place in spirit.
Salvation only comes by faith, never by self effort! (Rom. 10:9-10) God leaves nothing to self willed worship or chance. (Heb.7:25) The OT saints never achieved Salvation, for Salvation is only possible by the Cross of Christ. The OT saint always looked forward to Christ for Salvation through the ceremonial sacrifices of the Mosiac Law. The NT saint, now has the permanent possession of the Holy Spirit as a guarantee to Salvation (Eph. 1:13-14). The actual act of Salvation takes place at the coming of the Lord.(1 Pet. 1:5) (Rom. 5:8-10) (1 John 3:1-3) (Phil. 1:6).
The only thing that man does is to repent by hearing the word of God, It is God who regenerates by the Holy Spirit. . Regeneration does not take place in the believers spirit, God gives him a new Spirit. He gave us a new man, He never changed the old man and the two are in conflict. (Gal. 5:15-17). You are in error in your teachings.... Please read the Scriptures

Christ in us
Douglas Summers

Last edited:
That is sooo true my friend. George Mueller said the same as you. Pray the Word of God over yourself, especially the Psalms. Those are very important words there you young wipper-snapper.

It was a little bit odd. I was reading Psalm 91...and it started sounding like a prayer to me. Like it was something that I should be declaring over my life! That hit me kind of hard, but in a good way. I instantly knew it was true. I know many people probably hold that this was a protection Psalm for Jesus...but then again...are we not in Jesus, is he not in us? Has He not promised all? So that's ours too. I got a real peaceful easy feeling when I realized that and prayed it. 92 is practically a continuatio of it.

And the good ol' 23rd Psalm. What a fantastic prayer. ...valley of the shadow of death, fear no evil. Geez, this whole planet is the valley of the shadow of death. :yes

Great post Douglas Summers
...Regeneration does not take place in the believers spirit, God gives him a new Spirit. He gave us a new man, He never changed the old man and the two are in conflict. (Gal. 5:15-17). You are in error in your teachings.... Please read the Scriptures...
It is always up to us which side to take, old or new. After all, we still have a free-will. However, the new Spirit is opposite to the old man in many ways. The old man needs our attention (mind) to survive, whereas the new Spirit does not need our attention to survive. The Holy Spirit is and always will remain pure in heart, for it came from God. Whereas the old man of ego came from our body-mind. So, the only conflict in us is one-sided. That is, it is only the old man in conflict with new Spirit. The new Spirit is not in conflict with the old man because the old man is not true and unreal; the old man has nothing worth saving.

The new Spirit waits for us to pay attention to what is True. For us to do this requires us to surrender the old man (becalm it - humbled) to allow room in our consciousness for Truth to fill the void left by the exiting old man. This new heart-consciousness touches our soul and reinvigorates it. Liberated by Truth, our soul is in joy, awe, praise, and enlightened; love takes over our mind (soul-mind). Truths become apparent and we have no conflict with it at all.

While we are in conflict, it is our old man fighting for our attention. In that conflict we are in a state of indecision of what is true or not, what to pay attention to - the old man or the new Spirit. Once a decision is made the conflict subsides to a degree for the old man, for the old man still knows its truth of being a lie.

If we have decided for the old man, the new Spirit remains restfully waiting for us to surrender our fears and tensions of the old man. As long as we are fearful and tense (lack of faith) we are too busy to pay attention to the new Spirit of Truth, until we get sick and tired of it. We then surrender again to the new Spirit, and wonder why we ever become in conflict with what saves us.

So, we can either be in denial, conflict, or enlightened. Denial is to be in the old man. Enlightened is to be in Christ. Conflict is to be indecisive (struggling with one's own faith).

In regards to people, do not pay no attention (abide) to the old man. Beware of grumpy Christians, help them to decide for what is True. And embrace those who are in Christ.

Let's see, I believe I can see some more nuggets of Truth in Galatians 2:20...."I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

"Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Well now, lets look again at what's happened since I was crucified with Jesus. It looks like I keep on living, but something has changed. There are two great big words, "NOT I" My focus in life is no longer me me me!!! My focus now is....John 17:20 "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me."

My focus now is that I am one with Jesus and His Father. Not my will be done but Jesus' and His Father's will. A whole new life because I'm born again.

Here's something interesting, Jesus died on the altar of the cross, shed His divine precious Blood, so that the whole world has an opportunity to receive forgiveness of their sins so that they can be saved and abide in the Christ Vine as a branch. All glory to God.

Our lives now have changed from self interests to love our neighbors as ourselves. I find it very interesting that being one with Jesus and His Father, their interests have become ours, right? Ours, get it? "Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Hmm, I live, but not really. Someone else moved in. I wonder if every Christian lives with an actual life pattern knowing that Part of Jesus took up residence in them. Hmm, do I? Do you?

Lets see, did I say that right? A part of Jesus took up residence in them? Of course it's the Holy Spirit. I've heard men say "Jesus' Spirit", referring to the Holy Spirit. Is that correct? Or should I refer to the Holy Spirit as a separate Person, not Christ's Spirit, hmm.

Ok. I see in Galatians 2:20 a distinct message from God our Father, that my life, before being born again, used to be about me me me. That's not the case now. My life has shifted from self-interests to Christ's interest's. I think that's the reason that God doesn't want me to rely on my puny little faith but to call upon my Master's great and powerful faith for the removal of those mountains that raise up in front of me that try and stop me from doing God's will for any particular day.

Ok, enough for now. Stay tuned because Hermit or Soul man might have some nuggets to throw your way.

...Our lives now have changed from self interests to love our neighbors as ourselves. I find it very interesting that being one with Jesus and His Father, their interests have become ours, right? Ours, get it? "Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Hmm, I live, but not really. Someone else moved in. I wonder if every Christian lives with an actual life pattern knowing that Part of Jesus took up residence in them. Hmm, do I? Do you?

Lets see, did I say that right? A part of Jesus took up residence in them? Of course it's the Holy Spirit. I've heard men say "Jesus' Spirit", referring to the Holy Spirit. Is that correct? Or should I refer to the Holy Spirit as a separate Person, not Christ's Spirit, hmm....
Fantastic post Chopper. You have yet again gone deeper into Truths that most fear contemplating, because the deeper we go the less the old man has a leg to stand on.

Now it is time to go a bit deeper still.
Matthew 1:18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.
John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Jesus Christ was the Holy Spirit, God's Grace made into flesh, into the form of a human body. The Holy Spirit incarnate.

Both John the Baptist and Jesus Christ had both divine and earthly links. John knew who Jesus was.
Matthew 3:13-17
13. Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John.
14. But John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"
15. Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented.
16. As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him.
17. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

To fulfill all righteousness. Jesus Christ, already the Holy Spirit made flesh, receives the Holy Spirit from God as a demonstration of what is to come for those who believe in the way the truth and the life of Christ.

John 14:6-7, 10.
6. Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
7. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."
...10. Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work

God's Spirit, the Holy Spirit, Christ Jesus's Spirit are all the same, and taken up residence in those who have been baptized to fulfill all righteousness.
1 John 4:15-17
15. If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God.
16. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.
17. This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus.

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

1 Corinthians 3:16 Do you not know that you yourselves are God’s temple, and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Fantastic post Chopper. You have yet again gone deeper into Truths that most fear contemplating, because the deeper we go the less the old man has a leg to stand on.

Now it is time to go a bit deeper still.
Matthew 1:18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.
John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Jesus Christ was the Holy Spirit, God's Grace made into flesh, into the form of a human body. The Holy Spirit incarnate.

Both John the Baptist and Jesus Christ had both divine and earthly links. John knew who Jesus was.
Matthew 3:13-17
13. Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John.
14. But John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"
15. Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented.
16. As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him.
17. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

To fulfill all righteousness. Jesus Christ, already the Holy Spirit made flesh, receives the Holy Spirit from God as a demonstration of what is to come for those who believe in the way the truth and the life of Christ.

John 14:6-7, 10.
6. Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
7. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."
...10. Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work

God's Spirit, the Holy Spirit, Christ Jesus's Spirit are all the same, and taken up residence in those who have been baptized to fulfill all righteousness.
1 John 4:15-17
15. If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God.
16. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.
17. This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus.

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

1 Corinthians 3:16 Do you not know that you yourselves are God’s temple, and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Exhorting each other and sharing Scripture is good and fortifies and encourages the man of God, but the Spirit of all born again believers know what is correct doctrine and is not drawn in by those who might use Scripture wrongly to justify a self willed doctrine (1 John 2:26-28). Most of the warnings in Scripture are to the self righteous and deceived. For there are many tares among the wheat. Christ even gave Judas a chance to repent (Matt. 26:50). One should always search by prayer and humility in the Scriptures. And let us never have pride in knowledge, but instead.......Joy in the Truth. Amen.

Exhorting each other and sharing Scripture is good and fortifies and encourages the man of God, but the Spirit of all born again believers know what is correct doctrine and is not drawn in by those who might use Scripture wrongly to justify a self willed doctrine (1 John 2:26-28). Most of the warnings in Scripture are to the self righteous and deceived. For there are many tares among the wheat. Christ even gave Judas a chance to repent (Matt. 26:50). One should always search by prayer and humility in the Scriptures. And let us never have pride in knowledge, but instead.......Joy in the Truth. Amen.

You make a great point Brother. ...and the answer is to be 4:20 friendly. Lol...

1 Corinthians 4:20
20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.../

There's not much time left Brothers and Sisters.

1 Corinthians 4:21
21. What do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a rod of discipline, or shall I come in love and with a gentle spirit?

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the idea of being born again is perplexing. It is indeed important, but there's a verse (in the gospels or in revelations) that Jesus will separate the nations as a Shepard separates the sheep and the goats. In these verses the people who are accepted ask when they did anything Jesus says they did, and the same with those rejected asked when they didn't help Jesus in the moments of need that He describes.

If there is merit to this then there is likely going to be some perplexion of who is saved, who was born again, and who has the Holy Spirit. We might be surprised who is saved and who isn't when we are all called to account.

This leads itself to the second aspect if perplexion with regard to being born again. There was a time when in my area I saw people differentiate themselves from regular Christians. First saying they are not just Christians, but born again Christians. Then later other added to the title. Born again of the spirit Christians.

This title (while hopefully true at least by some of them) seemed like it was made in a holier then thou kind of way, and to bring a separation of self importance among other Christians.

It's important to have the Holy Spirit, and pray for Him, that God would give us the Holy Spirit. The title however, still raises a red flag to me.

This might be just me. But if I'm not alone in this observation then it could be a reason the topic isn't approached as often. Or why it's not understood. Good luck in your guys' study. Hope to read more.
Hi NNS

I have also often thought of this.
Christian used to mean something.
Then it lost its meaning.
Then born-again Christian had to be invented.
Now some say the are True Christians.

I think what they're trying to do is identify themselves with a belief system.
Maybe even to discoover if the person they say this "title" to will respond in kind so they know they're brothers in the Lord.

Here where I am, I often use the term Believer.
It just means that I believe what the church teaches and I believe that Jesus is real and that He is God.

If I get a reaction, I'm happy.
If I don't and I see that I could continue, I do.
Otherwise, I cut it short there because some get pretty upset if you mention God.

I'm not sure they're doing it to be holier than thou...although I'm sure some must.
We're so human !!

Wow, you really need to know the Lord on a personal basis. what you believe is close to blasphemy! (Matt. 12:31-33) Disavowing the work of the Holy Spirit. This is not sarcasm. Our place in eternity depends on our faith in the word of God. If that is your portrait on your post head, You look like a beautiful lovely women, but God looks at the heart of a man and the fruit it bears. It is a simple thing to do, if you are serious, just ask the Lord to show you what is true or false........He will do it. You have grieved the Spirit in me many times (not understanding my intent of teaching) which is my calling and election. We are grieved because the Eternal Spirit of Christ in us is rebuked by the proud and self willed. There is a place that is beyond this planet that we will dwell in that can not be described in human terms that is so beautiful, well, imagine this: Money is not needed, It's light comes directly from the brightness of the Glory of the Lord, The seas and oceans are like shimmering glass. You can read about it. (Rev. 21:1 thru 22:5). If you do not believe these things, then, what is there to hope for?

Christ in us
Douglas Summers

Last edited:
Hi NNS

I have also often thought of this.
Christian used to mean something.
Then it lost its meaning.
Now some say the are True Christians.

I think what they're trying to do is identify themselves with a belief system.
Maybe even to discoover if the person they say this "title" to will respond in kind so they know they're brothers in the Lord.

Here where I am, I often use the term Believer.
It just means that I believe what the church teaches and I believe that Jesus is real and that He is God.

If I get a reaction, I'm happy.
If I don't and I see that I could continue, I do.
Otherwise, I cut it short there because some get pretty upset if you mention God.

I'm not sure they're doing it to be holier than thou...although I'm sure some must.
We're so human !!

Believer is a good term. No nonsense of if your true believer or a true christian, and no fight over your theology based on that identification of yourself.

I've just called myself Christian for do long it's hard to think of it a different way. Not Methodists, Babtist, or nondemonitional, just Christian. Then as you've pointed out the term "true Christian" came out in a big way and people questioned if your Christian-lite or a full meal of a Christian. Great way for division and judging among yourself without even knowing if there's a reason to question our faith. Progress in the wrong direction in my opinion.

But you make a good point. Maybe there's nothing to it more then just people testing the waters and seeing if you respond in a similar kind of way, identifying yourself as faithful and dovoted. I'll try to keep that in mind. Thanks.

Wow, you really need to know the Lord on a personal basis. what you believe is close to blasphemy! (Matt. 12:31-33) Disavowing the work of the Holy Spirit. This is not sarcasm. Our place in eternity depends on our faith in the word of God. If that is your portrait on your post head, You look like a beautiful lovely women, but God looks at the heart of a man and the fruit it bears. It is a simple thing to do, if you are serious, just ask the Lord to show you what is true or false........He will do it. You have grieved the Spirit in me many times (not understanding my intent of teaching) which is my calling and election. We are grieved because the Eternal Spirit of Christ in us is rebuked by the proud and self willed. There is a place that is beyond this planet that we will dwell in that can not be described in human terms that is so beautiful, well, imagine this: Money is not needed, It's light comes directly from the brightness of the Glory of the Lord, The seas and oceans are like shimmering glass. You can read about it. (Rev. 21:1 thru 22:5). If you do not believe these things, then, what is there to hope for?

Christ in us
Douglas Summers
Thanks DS
This isn't the first time you've told me stuff like the above.
Lucky for me and you, I don't get upset easily.

Luke 10:26-28
26. "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
27. He answered, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
28. "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

Simply love the Love that loves you.
To do this, and by doing this, your connection with Christ and God will provide you with ALL the way, the truth, and the life of a Christian.
This is what believers of the Word, believers of Christ, believers of God do. They do so out of pure love.
Obedience to Truth no longer becomes musts or shoulds; but by desire, devotion and oneness with Truth.

Salvation only comes by faith, never by self effort! (Rom. 10:9-10) God leaves nothing to self willed worship or chance. (Heb.7:25) The OT saints never achieved Salvation, for Salvation is only possible by the Cross of Christ. The OT saint always looked forward to Christ for Salvation through the ceremonial sacrifices of the Mosiac Law. The NT saint, now has the permanent possession of the Holy Spirit as a guarantee to Salvation (Eph. 1:13-14). The actual act of Salvation takes place at the coming of the Lord.(1 Pet. 1:5) (Rom. 5:8-10) (1 John 3:1-3) (Phil. 1:6).
The only thing that man does is to repent by hearing the word of God, It is God who regenerates by the Holy Spirit. . Regeneration does not take place in the believers spirit, God gives him a new Spirit. He gave us a new man, He never changed the old man and the two are in conflict. (Gal. 5:15-17). You are in error in your teachings.... Please read the Scriptures

Christ in us
Douglas Summers

You have made an accusation against my Brother....
You are in error in your teachings.... Please read the Scriptures

Would you care to explain yourself?

You have made an accusation against my Brother....

Would you care to explain yourself?
Hi Chopper, He is my brother too, He understood what I was talking about. Our difference was the difference between Self effort of the flesh and faith in God, Of which father Abraham is our father of Faith,(believed God) and it was accounted to him for righteousness. (Romans 4:3) God leaves nothing to self will. God saved Noah....not because he was a perfect man, but because he looked to God (probably sacrificing the same as Able's sacrifice) (Gen. 6:9) He was a righteous man (faith in God) (2 Pet. 2:5).

self will was the error vs. faith

Hope that helps. Man has no part in his salvation except faith.

Last edited:
Hi Chopper, He is my brother too, He understood what I was talking about. Our difference was the difference between Self effort of the flesh and faith in God, Of which father Abraham is our father of Faith,(believed God) and it was accounted to him for righteousness. (Romans 4:3) God leaves nothing to self will. God saved Noah....not because he was a perfect man, but because he looked to God (probably sacrificing the same as Able's sacrifice) (Gen. 6:9) He was a righteous man (faith in God) (2 Pet. 2:5).

self will was the error vs. faith

Hope that helps. Man has no part in his salvation except faith.

Great my friend. Your explanation make sense. Thank you very much. Do you think "self effort" is prevalent in the folk in the churches of today? In one of the churches that I was their pastor, a very intelligent man (Harry Percival) just couldn't believe that salvation was free. He believed that there was something that he had to do to earn salvation.

He finally came around, but not thru many meetings with him. The Holy Spirit sure had His work cut out for Him to change Harry's mind.

It was a little bit odd. I was reading Psalm 91...and it started sounding like a prayer to me. Like it was something that I should be declaring over my life! That hit me kind of hard, but in a good way. I instantly knew it was true. I know many people probably hold that this was a protection Psalm for Jesus...but then again...are we not in Jesus, is he not in us? Has He not promised all? So that's ours too. I got a real peaceful easy feeling when I realized that and prayed it. 92 is practically a continuatio of it.

And the good ol' 23rd Psalm. What a fantastic prayer. ...valley of the shadow of death, fear no evil. Geez, this whole planet is the valley of the shadow of death. :yes

Surely

Last edited:

Christ in us
Douglas Summers

Care to expound on this, 'a new spirit. Where can I find that written as pertaining to the new birth.

Back