Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Genesis 2-3

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Purpose of the tree of life:
Proverbs 3: 18 the tree of life is wisdom
Proverbs 11:30 the fruit of righteousness
Proverbs 13:12 hope is the desire of the heart
Proverbs 15:4 wholesome tongue
Revelation 2:7 overcomer
Revelation 22:2 twelve fruits of the Spirit and healing of the nations
Revelation 22:14 obedience
Revelation 22:19 book of life

Now, seeing all what the tree of life was for, in Genesis 3:22-24 we read that God sent Adam out of the garden so he could not eat from the tree of life.

Why, because if God did not prevent Adam from eating of the tree of life after he had sinned, a future redemption through the physical death of Jesus Christ would not have been possible.

When Adam sinned, mankind became estranged from God and physical death entered into the world by one man, Adam, death now came to all men. If Adam had eaten from the tree of life after he sinned he would have lived forever, but he would have lived in a state of eternal estrangement from God.

God knew that man would sin as God's plan of salvation before the foundation of the world was through Christ Jesus who gave His life that we can have life eternal to all who will believe in Him, John 3:16. That could not have happened if Adam ate from the tree of life and lived forever.

Glory, Rev. 22:19, says nothing about the, "tree of life," the word, scroll or book used in the texts, depending on the bible version used, is in reference to the book of Rev. itself.

Too, if as you believe, in the list of benefits from eating of the "tree of life", then why wouldn't a loving God had taken Adam and Eve by the hand and lead them to the "tree of life" and required that they eat of it, and on a regular basis, instead of barring them from it? Your understanding of it makes no sense. It is to give eternal life to those who eat of it's many fruits, from month to month, period.

The truth is, ALL of God's laws are just and righteous, and will endure forever. Adam and Eve were guilty of disobedience/sin when they ate from the tree of Good and Evil. The penalty for disobeying, any of God's laws is death by execution. Their execution that very day was, stayed only because they had no knowledge of what evil was. However, for punishment they were sent out of the garden and there conditional immortality ended, since they would not be able to eat of the tree of life, therefore, they became mortals, subject to the first death, of which there is a first or second resurrection. This is the consequences of sin, not to be confused with the penalty for sin, which is death by execution, the second death of which there is no resurrection, the wages of sin, (Rm. 6:23)

Since God's laws are eternal because they are just and righteous, they can not be set aside to save fallen man. Therefore, the Father having foreknowledge, of Adams fall, designed the plan of salvation, to save fallen man, and at the same time uphold His eternal laws.(this is what most people do not understand) This plan would require Jesus, a God Himself, our creator, to humble Himself and be born of man, to fulfill God's eternal laws by living a sinless life, that Adam and Eve and all of their descendants could not life, then die the second death, which all of mankind would have to suffer as the wages for our sins. This Jesus did, and the Father raised Him up from the second death He paid while on the cross.

Salvation is then made possible to fallen man by the grace of God through faith, by believing that God so loved the world that He gave is only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

This then is why Jesus had to die, to uphold God's laws, and to pay the penalty for the breaking of the laws which fallen man could not, and still live life eternal.

Glory, Rev. 22:19, says nothing about the, "tree of life," the word, scroll or book used in the texts, depending on the bible version used, is in reference to the book of Rev. itself.

Too, if as you believe, in the list of benefits from eating of the "tree of life", then why wouldn't a loving God had taken Adam and Eve by the hand and lead them to the "tree of life" and required that they eat of it, and on a regular basis, instead of barring them from it? Your understanding of it makes no sense. It is to give eternal life to those who eat of it's many fruits, from month to month, period.

The truth is, ALL of God's laws are just and righteous, and will endure forever. Adam and Eve were guilty of disobedience/sin when they ate from the tree of Good and Evil. The penalty for disobeying, any of God's laws is death by execution. Their execution that very day was, stayed only because they had no knowledge of what evil was. However, for punishment they were sent out of the garden and there conditional immortality ended, since they would not be able to eat of the tree of life, therefore, they became mortals, subject to the first death, of which there is a first or second resurrection. This is the consequences of sin, not to be confused with the penalty for sin, which is death by execution, the second death of which there is no resurrection, the wages of sin, (Rm. 6:23)

Since God's laws are eternal because they are just and righteous, they can not be set aside to save fallen man. Therefore, the Father having foreknowledge, of Adams fall, designed the plan of salvation, to save fallen man, and at the same time uphold His eternal laws.(this is what most people do not understand) This plan would require Jesus, a God Himself, our creator, to humble Himself and be born of man, to fulfill God's eternal laws by living a sinless life, that Adam and Eve and all of their descendants could not life, then die the second death, which all of mankind would have to suffer as the wages for our sins. This Jesus did, and the Father raised Him up from the second death He paid while on the cross.

Salvation is then made possible to fallen man by the grace of God through faith, by believing that God so loved the world that He gave is only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

This then is why Jesus had to die, to uphold God's laws, and to pay the penalty for the breaking of the laws which fallen man could not, and still live life eternal.
Which is why Christians -- those who are in Christ -- are dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. (Romans 6:11) The law no longer governs us; we are guided by the Holy Spirit, given to us by Jesus. You cannot be under the law and be in Christ simultaneously.

Galatians 5:18, "But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law."

I explained all of that in post #51. What I gave in that list is the purpose of the tree of life. Rev 22:19 the book of life is one of the purposes of the tree of life.

Gen 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

When they took of the tree of good and evil then there eyes were opened to know good and evil.

Within the new covenant of God's grace through Christ Jesus all that remains within the 613 laws are the moral laws all of us Jew and Gentile are to follow. The only laws that Christ has fulfilled so far are that of the Temple and its sacrifices fulfilling only the righteousness of the law through His birth, death and resurrection.

Offering up these texts from Proverbs in support of your position is poor scholarship on your part, I think.
It's not poor scholarship, but those who do not see the understanding of the purpose of the tree of life within those scriptures I gave.

I explained all of that in post #51. What I gave in that list is the purpose of the tree of life. Rev 22:19 the book of life is one of the purposes of the tree of life.

Gen 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

When they took of the tree of good and evil then there eyes were opened to know good and evil.

Within the new covenant of God's grace through Christ Jesus all that remains within the 613 laws are the moral laws all of us Jew and Gentile are to follow. The only laws that Christ has fulfilled so far are that of the Temple and its sacrifices fulfilling only the righteousness of the law through His birth, death and resurrection.

You're either under the law or you're under God's grace in Christ. You can't be both.

Romans 7:4, "So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you could be joined to another, to the one who was raised from the dead, to bear fruit to God."

You're either under the law or you're under God's grace in Christ. You can't be both.

Romans 7:4, "So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you could be joined to another, to the one who was raised from the dead, to bear fruit to God."
Does Matthew 5:17-18 ring a bell?

God gave Adam laws/commands and more laws were added and given to Moses. The moral parts of the 613 laws are still in effect today until the return of Christ.

There are laws (commandments) of God that were especially written just for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite that Jesus has already fulfilled. Then there are the existing moral laws (commandments) for all of us to still follow as in prayers and blessings, love and brotherhood. The poor and unfortunate, treatment of the Gentiles, Marriage, divorce and family. Forbidden sexual relations, business practices, employees and servants. Vows, oaths, swearing, Court and Judicial procedures. Injuries and damages, property and property rights, criminal laws. Prophecy, idolatry and all its practices as the moral laws (commandments) keep us in line with the will of God.​

Does Matthew 5:17-18 ring a bell?

God gave Adam laws/commands and more laws were added and given to Moses. The moral parts of the 613 laws are still in effect today until the return of Christ.

There are laws (commandments) of God that were especially written just for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite that Jesus has already fulfilled. Then there are the existing moral laws (commandments) for all of us to still follow as in prayers and blessings, love and brotherhood. The poor and unfortunate, treatment of the Gentiles, Marriage, divorce and family. Forbidden sexual relations, business practices, employees and servants. Vows, oaths, swearing, Court and Judicial procedures. Injuries and damages, property and property rights, criminal laws. Prophecy, idolatry and all its practices as the moral laws (commandments) keep us in line with the will of God.​
We have been through this before; we disagree. Here is what Matthew 5:17 says; read it carefully...

Matthew 5:17-18, "“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have not come to abolish these things but to fulfill them."

The laws have been fulfilled in Jesus Christ. If you are in Christ, you have fulfilled the law 100%.

You can live by the 613 laws if you so desire. You might as well convert to Judaism! Personally, I rest in Christ, who has fulfilled the law 110%.

I feel so sorry for you that you can't accept the righteousness that has been fulfilled in Christ.

jaybo for_his_glory In my opinion, the verse indicates that the Torah was in use among Jewish Christians in Matthew's church.

However, what is your interpretation of the term "fulfill" in this verse? I think that is important to the discussion. For reference, the Greek is πληρόω, pléroó, Strong's 4137.

We have been through this before; we disagree. Here is what Matthew 5:17 says; read it carefully...

Matthew 5:17-18, "“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have not come to abolish these things but to fulfill them."

The laws have been fulfilled in Jesus Christ. If you are in Christ, you have fulfilled the law 100%.

You can live by the 613 laws if you so desire. You might as well convert to Judaism! Personally, I rest in Christ, who has fulfilled the law 110%.

I feel so sorry for you that you can't accept the righteousness that has been fulfilled in Christ.
I never said we are to follow all 613 laws, but only the moral laws as we treat others. I agree Jesus fulfilled the righteousness of the law, but only fulfilling the righteousness of the rituals and sacrifices of the Temple as the 613 laws had no saving provisions in them. Yet, we still follow the moral parts of the law that I listed by keeping the greatest law of love in how we treat others.

jaybo for_his_glory In my opinion, the verse indicates that the Torah was in use among Jewish Christians in Matthew's church.

However, what is your interpretation of the term "fulfill" in this verse? I think that is important to the discussion. For reference, the Greek is πληρόω, pléroó, Strong's 4137.
To fulfill something is to carry out that which needs accomplished as in what Christ did in His birth, death and resurrection that we we now live by the greatest commandment of the law which is love. .

I never said we are to follow all 613 laws, but only the moral laws as we treat others. I agree Jesus fulfilled the righteousness of the law, but only fulfilling the righteousness of the rituals and sacrifices of the Temple as the 613 laws had no saving provisions in them. Yet, we still follow the moral parts of the law that I listed by keeping the greatest law of love in how we treat others.
This is sophistry. I believe what the Bible clearly says. I won't discuss this with you any more. Believe what you will, live under the law... It's up to you. Personally, being a Christian, I am in Christ; He has fulfilled the entire law and therefore, so have I.

It's not poor scholarship, but those who do not see the understanding of the purpose of the tree of life within those scriptures I gave.
Glory, I know it seem I'm picking on you, but I guess I expect better of you since you are a moderator.
The statement above is a incomplete thought, therefore, it makes no sense. I even had my wife read it and she can't make sense of it.

Do you not read your post before you make them active?
Would you please restate what you mean. Thanks.

Glory, I've read through that post half a dozen times or more. Just because you claim something does not make it so. I also quoted all the texts from Proverbs you referenced to show that none of them state that such and such is the purpose of the tree of life. In this post you repeat the same texts in Rev. 22:19, that I called you out on in a earlier post, saying Rev. 22:19, says nothing about the, "tree of live," and here in this post you repeat the same claim.

So I'll quote the texts and show that nothing is said about the "tree of life." Rev. 22:19, "and if any man shall take away from the words of the book [Rev.] of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book [Rev.] So what say you?

Glory, I know it seem I'm picking on you, but I guess I expect better of you since you are a moderator.
The statement above is a incomplete thought, therefore, it makes no sense. I even had my wife read it and she can't make sense of it.

Do you not read your post before you make them active?
Would you please restate what you mean. Thanks.
We all see through a glass darkly. Even moderators. I do find it strange that you basically infer that you understand everything through? Elihu must be one of your long lost cousins.
Maybe this will help

This is not The Tree of Life, but it lends a little understanding when talking about special trees.

I have had the privilege to have experienced two different varieties of malaria. One case sub clinical and one pretty bad. The cinchona tree of South America was for years the only tree that supplied bark for quinine. Rumors of a Georgia fever tree, but also statements about lacking evidence.
You can not get a patent on a natural plant so now we have synthetics.

The New Jerusalem has a tree planted on either side of a river preceding from the throne of God. Would you care to explain this to us in graphic detail?

I just wind up at the cerebellum every time.
Romans 1:20 The spiritual gifts coming down from heaven. Practiced by the prophets and the early Church. I think they are for today also. So is this river between OT & NT?

Honestly I would seem less strange to just drop all this? But the symbols are there for a reason.

eddif

I ain't glory, but I would like to make a comment about books / scrolls.

All life has a scroll. In us we call it genetics.
Jesus opened the genetics of people born blind and healed them.

A seed has an instruction scroll cross linked inside and out.
The Bible has physical and spiritual information that is cross linked.

It is interesting to me that scrolls, books and genetics have messages for life.

Scientists are scrambling to understand genetics. I wonder if we spend enough time comparing the parallel physical and spiritual? The. Message of genetics becomes a physical organism. The word of healing heals. Covid should be put to naught.

The leaves are for the healing of the nations. The grafting takes place in the branches.

eddif

We all see through a glass darkly. Even moderators. I do find it strange that you basically infer that you understand everything through? Elihu must be one of your long lost cousins.
Maybe this will help

This is not The Tree of Life, but it lends a little understanding when talking about special trees.

I have had the privilege to have experienced two different varieties of malaria. One case sub clinical and one pretty bad. The cinchona tree of South America was for years the only tree that supplied bark for quinine. Rumors of a Georgia fever tree, but also statements about lacking evidence.
You can not get a patent on a natural plant so now we have synthetics.

The New Jerusalem has a tree planted on either side of a river preceding from the throne of God. Would you care to explain this to us in graphic detail?

I just wind up at the cerebellum every time.
Romans 1:20 The spiritual gifts coming down from heaven. Practiced by the prophets and the early Church. I think they are for today also. So is this river between OT & NT?

Honestly I would seem less strange to just drop all this? But the symbols are there for a reason.

eddif
I do not know how much credit you give to left brain right brain studies. I did not give much credit till macular degeneration

The information coming from heaven has different viewpoints. One side of the river is more mathematical than the artistic side. The cross links exist here to . Genetics are cross linked and so are hemispheres. Years can go by before two thoughts merge. I did not give much credit till macular degeneration came along.

eddif

Glory, I've read through that post half a dozen times or more. Just because you claim something does not make it so. I also quoted all the texts from Proverbs you referenced to show that none of them state that such and such is the purpose of the tree of life. In this post you repeat the same texts in Rev. 22:19, that I called you out on in a earlier post, saying Rev. 22:19, says nothing about the, "tree of live," and here in this post you repeat the same claim.

So I'll quote the texts and show that nothing is said about the "tree of life." Rev. 22:19, "and if any man shall take away from the words of the book [Rev.] of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book [Rev.] So what say you?
Hopefully this will help explain what I mean about the purpose of the tree of life.

The tree of life is a life eternal as taking from the fruit of this tree gives one eternal life as they could never physically die. The fruit of the tree is wisdom, God's righteousness, desire to be with God eternally, having a pure tongue in what we speak, overcome evil, twelve fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23), obedience to God's commands, book of life meaning eternal life.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back