Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

God has only one name made known to us.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
follower of Christ said:
One God still equals one God, friend. :wave
1 + 1 + 1 = 1 That's God's math.
But you arent doing 1+1+1, friend.
You have already shown that you DONT believe in the triune God that is 1+1+1.
Your making each part of God an aspect rather than a person.
That isnt what scripture teaches.
[quote:a1i7wo98]If you want to divide God into thirds then that's your choice.
And if you want to pay attention and HEAR what WE have said rather than inserting YOUR views into our mouths, thats your choice.
Or you can continue misrepresenting what the Trinity actually is if thats your cup of tea.
I prefer to believe Jesus was God come in the flesh.
Uh...yeah...we said that :nono
Jesus, God the Son, came in the flesh.
The Word was God...made flesh and dwelt among us. (as of the only begotten) Not split into two Gods as a human would be two different humans. Humans must become two individuals...God doesn't have to split into two. He stays ONE.
yeah...and that Word was WITH God as well as being God.
No one said a thing about any 'split', chap, so dont start inserting words into my mouth or anyone elses here...lets keep this honest and with some integrity, shall we ?

Youre trying to use YOUR logic that seemingly believes that God has to 'split' (whatever that absurdity would mean) in order to be three persons.
That is ridiculous.

Water is all over this planet within the atmosphere and is in 3 different forms here. IT doesnt have to be sent off into space....ie 'separate'..... in order to be vapor, liquid or solid.
God can be One and be three just like water can be present in 3 forms in the atmosphere (vapor, rain and hail, for instance).

Your idea of God is VERY limited, quite frankly. Youre limiting Him to YOUR finite views rather than just accepting that YOU may not actually grasp what He is in all actuality.[/quote:a1i7wo98]
You certainly are comfortable telling me where I fail.

It's interesting you can use the example of vapor, rain, and hail, but I can't use the example of source, embodiment and essence. If it weren't for God's desire to impart us with life, we could compare God to a judge, redeemer, and advocate. Since we're told we're to have abundant life, I use the examples I do instead of vapor liquid and solid. Yet you tell me I'm misrepresenting the trinity.

You are made in the image of God, having a body soul and spirit. Are you three persons, too?

You certainly are comfortable telling me where I fail.
Huh....and you havent been doing just that ? :confused
It's interesting you can use the example of vapor, rain, and hail, but I can't use the example of source, embodiment and essence.
MY example was simply to show that three forms can be present at the same time. MY example was NEVER meant to argue against Jesus Christ being His own 'person' withing the Godhead.
Youve made it VERY clear that you arent happy with the accepted understanding of 'person' here, friend.

If it weren't for God's desire to impart us with life, we could compare God to a judge, redeemer, and advocate.
Sorry gent but the passage doesnt do the mountaintop guru thing.
It shows VERY plainly that Jesus Christ is our advocate...our 'go between'...with the Father.
If you dont see distinction there then we really need to lay this to rest because you arent going to see and apparently dont want to. :)

Since we're told we're to have abundant life, I use the examples I do instead of vapor liquid and solid. Yet you tell me I'm misrepresenting the trinity.
Do you see three distinct persons within the Godhead ? Yes or no ?
Please explain your anwser briefly.
You are made in the image of God, having a body soul and spirit. Are you three persons, too?
Thats pretty funny because last time I looked I was not an infinite, omniscient, all powerful being :)

Next question :)

follower of Christ said:
glorydaz said:
What? :boxing ... ;) I certainly haven't "watered down" Jesus. :nag
Sure ya have.
You replaced the 'person' of Jesus for "expression"
glorydaz said:
There is a distinction because the Father is the source, the Son is the expression, and the Spirit is the application.
I've elevated Him from where you have Him
Wrong.
In your attempt to understand youve brought Him down and jammed Him into something you can try to fully understand rather than just leaving the infinite God at BEING infinite.
[quote:3v4mugxr]...into His rightful place as God come in the flesh.
There ya go inserting things into our mouths again.
NONE of us has said that God didnt come in the flesh, chap.
If you cant do this with some honesty then maybe its time to quit....kwim ?
:)

You don't have to explain to me what your idea of the trinity is.I've been walking with the Lord for forty years...I know the doctrine very well.
I shouldnt have to. Ive posted enough here for any literate person to figure out my views :)

I've also come to realize the "person" aspect that is understood by many is woefully inadequate in understanding the Oneness of God.
No, youve simply crammed the infinite God into a finite box.

:)[/quote:3v4mugxr]
I can't say essence, but you can say "hail". Gotcha :thumbsup
Actually, you've turned mean. I didn't expect that or I wouldn't have begun a discussion with you to begin with. I explained that I was speaking of other people and their beliefs, and the problems I've seen. You insist on taking everything personally. I don't call that a discussion. If it's a game to see who can expend more effort putting down the other person, I'm not interested.

Just to clarify...from an earlier post.
glorydaz said:
The reason I even bother to discuss this topic is because I see many people...not you, but many people, basing their beliefs on God split up into thirds.

I said many people....NOT YOU....yet you continue to accuse me of claiming I'm saying you've said whatever. You don't listen. You've obviously made up your mind. :shame

I can't say essence, but you can say "hail". Gotcha :thumbsup
Youre really wasting my sleeping time with this nonsense.
YOU are the one who said YOU HAD the issue with 'person', not me :)
Actually, you've turned mean.
Oh....thats right, I need to insert " :) " every other line to keep folks from playing psychoanalyst in here :nono
No, Im just getting tired of this waste of an evening here.
You said you have a problem with 'person', then you pretend as if *I* am misrepresenting you.
I didn't expect that or I wouldn't have begun a discussion with you to begin with.
Whats going on is that you arent getting anywhere and its becoming frustrating.
Maybe you thought youd wear me down by now, perhaps ? :)
I explained that I was speaking of other people and their beliefs, and the problems I've seen. You insist on taking everything personally. I don't call that a discussion. If it's a game to see who can expend more effort putting down the other person, I'm not interested.
This stopped being a discussion 10 pages ago.
Where we're at now is just throwing words at back and forth for the other to ignore. :)

glorydaz said:
Just to clarify...from an earlier post.
glorydaz said:
The reason I even bother to discuss this topic is because I see many people...not you, but many people, basing their beliefs on God split up into thirds.

I said many people....NOT YOU....yet you continue to accuse me of claiming I'm saying you've said whatever. You don't listen. You've obviously made up your mind. :shame
Friend, I have completely forgotten about that and anything to do with it.
When Ive said you are misrepresenting me or whatever, it has to do with DIRECT statements youve made. Not some ambiguous comment pages ago.

We done here ? :)

Im going to bed now.
Frankly this isnt worth staying up any longer for.

follower of Christ said:
I guess Gods up there having a schizo conversation with Himself right about now :nono
My little children, these things I write to you, that you may not sin. And if someone should sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
(1 John 2:1 EMTV)
There HAS to be some distinction there, folks.....like it or not.
And no matter what absurd fallacy we come up with the truth will remain truth.
1 John 2 - NIV
1My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

glorydaz said:
mdo757 said:
Yahshua said that he was one among many gods chosen by Yahwah to be His very own son. That does not sound like a Trinity to me.

What? :o
John 10:33. "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

34Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'? 35If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— 36what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'?

mdo757 said:
follower of Christ said:
I guess Gods up there having a schizo conversation with Himself right about now :nono
My little children, these things I write to you, that you may not sin. And if someone should sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
(1 John 2:1 EMTV)
There HAS to be some distinction there, folks.....like it or not.
And no matter what absurd fallacy we come up with the truth will remain truth.
1 John 2 - NIV
1My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
uh....yeah :confused

mdo757 said:
Yahshua said that he was one among many gods chosen by Yahwah to be His very own son. That does not sound like a Trinity to me.
yep....this is why we need to keep an eye on things here.
So...one among many gods, eh ?
Care to post some scripture on that one ? :)

Yahshua said he was a Son of God, which means that he is claiming to be "a god." All of the people in heaven are called gods because they have life immortal. Some scriptures are not translated correctly because of the difference between Hebrew or Aramaic and Greek. That is why the defining article "a" is missing in some places in scriptures.

follower of Christ said:
mdo757 said:
yep....this is why we need to keep an eye on things here.
So...one among many gods, eh ?
Care to post some scripture on that one ? :)

John 10:33. "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

34Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'? 35If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— 36what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'?

mdo757 said:
Trinitarianism come from Gnosticism. The Judaic Christians whom history says almost nothing about never believed in Trinitarianism.
locking this thread as now it has gone into some doctrinal beliefs claimed by some to be valid, which have no true scriptural basis. it may be reopened upon consensus of moderators.

mdo757 said:
glorydaz said:
mdo757 said:

What? :o

And folks THIS is why we must know ALL of the scriptures and not pick at one verse to rip out of context.
This is why we cannot pretend to be scholars of Greek and Hebrew when we arent.
The word used for 'gods' is literally the same word used for God Himself.
G2316
????
theos
Thayer Definition:
1) a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities
2) the Godhead, trinity
2a) God the Father, the first person in the trinity
2b) Christ, the second person of the trinity
2c) Holy Spirit, the third person in the trinity
3) spoken of the only and true God
3a) refers to the things of God
3b) his counsels, interests, things due to him
4) whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in any way
4a) God’s representative or viceregent
4a1) of magistrates and judges
Now, doesnt Gods word say that there is One God and no other ?

Passages like this are ones that people can twist and mangle into something they werent meant to be when they break out a Strongs and find out, guess what, this word literally means GOD.

But there is a context in the original passage that Jesus quotes in Psalms 82 that overall is about Judges and rulers, not literal deities.

A Psalm of Asaph God stands in the assembly of the mighty; He judges in the midst of the gods. Until when will you judge unjustly, and lift up the faces of the wicked? Selah. Judge the poor and fatherless; do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy; save out of the hand of the wicked. They neither know nor will understand; they walk in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken. I have said, You are gods, and all of you are sons of the Most High. But you shall die as men, and fall like one of the rulers. Rise, O God, judge the earth; for You shall inherit in all the nations.
(Psalms 82:1-8 LITV)

Psa 82:6-8
It is hard for men to have honour put upon them, and not to be proud of it. But all the rulers of the earth shall die, and all their honour shall be laid in the dust. God governs the world. There is a righteous God to whom we may go, and on whom we may depend. This also has respect to the kingdom of the Messiah. Considering the state of affairs in the world, we have need to pray that the Lord Jesus would speedily rule over all nations, in truth, righteousness, and peace.
-Matthew Henry
This passage in John 1 is a really good test, in my opinion, as its so easily perverted into being something that it isnt that it can expose false doctrine when someone uses it to say there is more than one God when the CONTEXT from the word of God says nothing of the sort.
There is ONE God.

And we are certain that the Son of God has come, and has given us a clear vision, so that we may see him who is true, and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. My little children, keep yourselves from false gods.
(1 John 5:20-21 BBE)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back