Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How Best to Handle This?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hey All,
WIP, would not the texts prove your point or disprove hers? Her instructions should be in those texts. Next time, instead of deleting them, save them. If she says she gave such-and-such instructions, you have written proof. Review them and show her. She might agree with you and you can just laugh it off.
Mid sixties is somewhat early, but is it possible that she is experiencing early signs of dementia? In her mind she believes an event happened a certain way. In reality, the event didn't happen that way at all. As you use the texts, the evidence will build one way or the other. Just a thought.
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Okay, my wife and I are both approaching our mid 60’s. For the last few months or perhaps even couple years, I find myself being accused of not hearing or ignoring things she has allegedly said to me and it causes strife. Here’s an example.

This morning, I was asked to drive to town, about 3 miles away, to drop something off for our daughter at her hair salon and while in town to pick up a couple things we need. Here’s how I remember the chain of events.

I got about 1/2 mile from home and my wife called to add that I pick up a package of Always for her mother who is staying with us for a short time. I told her to text me with the request because I wasn’t quite clear about what she needed. When I got to town, I read her text message and determined what she wanted was Always Discreet underwear for her elderly mother who is staying with us for a short time. There were two other brands available, Depends and Composure, but not the brand she asked for. Past experience has taught me that it is best not to use my judgment in this situation so I sent her a text and told her they did not have the brand she wanted and explained what they did have. She replied to get the Depends Overnight in XL size Unfortunately, they only had the daytime version and did not have the overnight version. It was a 50:50 shot that I would do the right thing, either get the wrong version which would have been rejected or get nothing since they didn't have the right thing.

When I got home and told them that they didn’t have the overnight variety she got hostile and claimed that she told me that her mom needed them and that I should have got the daytime variety anyway. I have absolutely zero recollection of her saying that to me and when I told her that, she claimed she told me this before I left to go to town. The first recollection I have of her even mentioning getting these items was when I got her phone call on my way to town.

This is the kind of thing that happens somewhat regularly in our household. Could she be correct that my memory is failing and becoming that selective? I suppose, but normally if I forget something and then later reminded I am able to recall it. In these situations, I honestly have no recollection whatsoever even after being “reminded.”

Here’s the catch. Due to a back injury that occurred over 10 years ago, she daily takes a lot of medications including narcotic pain killers, anxiety meds, anti-depressants, and others. She has experienced short-term memory loss that our daughters have witnessed for themselves like doing something and moments later not remembering that it was done.

My question is, how do I best handle this? I usually try to defend myself and tell her she did not say this or that but she won’t accept that defense so it becomes her word against mine which rarely goes well. In the end I usually, but not always, just take the blame and let it go.
Yikes! I thought I was the only one going through this. I feel for you, but I don't really know what to tell you other than to pick your fights carefully. Wasting energy vs being right vs just correct the matter for peace. Pick your poison.

Reactions: WIP
well if theres failing communication- maybe she has to go out and buy those things herself, if its a complicated item to acquire for sure she has to take responsibility to not frustrate you with such, to me i have no idea what the difference is and i dont think ill even figure it out either. is she maybe just being pedantic? you tried your best- possibly theres some deeper reason for her spiting you, because it seems unfair of her to do so

either shes giving you faulty instruction or you have a memory problem- or she does!
so start both taking some memory tests i would say. worst case scenario is that she spites you and is setting you up for failure to then manipulate you when you do what everyone would have done in same situation

i do get a dark vibe off this being a recurring theme, and you posting on here tells me most likely youre not doing this on purpose

Back