Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How can a Church attract attendees?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Re: What are ways to get people to come to a church?

Jethro Bodine

One could try something simple. Like actually having worship services. Instead of sermon services that are called Worship Services. But then, maybe that's a bad idea if all that's desired are more people to help defray expenses. Yet it might appeal to new believers. Older believers might not understand what it is being so used to sitting in their pews listening to the pastor expound on what he believes the bible is saying.

FC
I agree with this 100%. This deserves it's own thread altogether.

I've kind of given up on the idea of somehow bringing the church back to the guidelines that Paul lays out in the Bible for how we are to meet and have truly Spirit-filled, edifying meetings together that grows everybody up. The more steeped we become in tradition the harder it is to show people the truths of the Bible in regard to this. And we've been pretty steeped in it for a while now, lol. I thank God that I had the opportunity many years ago to be a part of a congregation that followed the pattern of Paul's instructions. I ache for my brothers and sisters to know the same experience.

Way back in the dark ages when i was a kid...

Flannel boards a heavy cardboard board about a yard square or so....covered in fabric,flannel, sat on a easel.. most often the upper part was blue then faded to green.. the sky the earth..... Paper will "stick" to the flannel colourful cut outs of Bible figures were placed on the boards while telling the story...
To this day can not think of Joshua & Caleb with out seeing the 'picture' of the 2 of them a pole over their shoulders holding a bunch of grapes , grapes the size of apples...Then had returned with a good report! I still see Moses in his tiny ark etc..Samson pushing the pillars... getting a hair cut... Abe, his son, the alter, and praise the Lord the ram...
I like it. I mean I like it! It would be a step in the right direction for even us grown up folk these days.

I like to teach (the few times I've been prepared and done it) and it's always good for both student and teacher to use things like this to teach Bible things.

We don't have a flannel board, but maybe I can solicit a volunteer out of the congregation who's wearing a flannel shirt to stand there while the teacher sticks figures on him.

Re: The Lord will send 'em in when He chooses to.

YOUR problem is to be in a spiritual condition to give 'em something then they get there.

Prayer is the ultimate answer. Get the people on their knees, and God will handle the details.
Do you subscribe to the belief that if God doesn't answer your prayers it's a sign to close the doors and move on?

And I'm pretty sure you had another post that isn't here now. Who did you say started the "it's not about you" thing? He is very, very wrong. It's about all of us. I've seen this phrase used to suppress dissenting opinion too many times.

Jethro Jesus grabbed 12 to help support Him and sheesh look who he is.... Dont carry a burden like this alone. Often old folks who think they can't do anything any more are more willing to spend time is prayerful support...

A story from a small church

New pastor comes to town beautiful wife cutest kids... This guy was cool got into the community set up day care, built a small skate park , He should have been selling cars.. the church grew.... I did not like what i was seeing so i had stepped back Surprise pastor called asked me personally to come to Bible study tomorrow.. I said John tomorrow is Valentines day are you having Bible study? he replied yes i said are you sure O yes..... Well there was no Bible study they played a pleasant version of the newly wed game... Bible study was secondary and not just that day

I have no problem with playing games they are fun... they have there place. It would not have bothered me if he had said this week we are playing a game so i'll see ya next week..
He lasted barely 3 years...
Joh 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
Joh 12:33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.

Last edited by a moderator:
iIt's sad when entertainment and business replace the central, spiritual activities of Bible study and prayer.

For Churches that have mortgage and salary obligations and can't realistically function with only a handful of people, what are some of the ways you think a church should or shouldn't draw people to attend?

Did God ask anyone to start churches in debt and have hirelings inside churches?

This is where churches are becoming more commercial entities for it's own survival.

If a church is in mortgage, it requires money. Cash flow is increased when more people come and put offerings. These offerings are used to pay banks. Scripture never said to pay mortgage with offerings or "God's Money". Offerings are for poor and needy, not for banks or to pay mortgage.

So, the motive of the church you are referring is just expecting money for it's own survival. This is why you want something attractive means that are not present in scripture to try out some other worldly means to attract the crowd to get their money through which you can pay mortgage.

Scripture allows only sound doctrine and as scripture itself says, only a few will enter the narrow path. Sound doctrine often attracts only a few truthful crowd.

Sell the church land and building and try to conduct home churches if there are only a few members. You will not only be free from financial stress, but concentrate on the few members in spiritual growth.

felix:

Some very good points there.

Sometimes a church building is so small and there are so many attending, that they will take out a loan to pay for an extension. Right or wrong? I wouldn't be too dogmatic, but certainly you are right that often it just descends into a business, which is completely wrong. Like you say, we need to get back to New Testament simplicity among those who are actually committed to a truthful and doctrinal testimony from the Scriptures.

Put an "all-welcome sign" on the front lawn. Put clever catchy slogans on the billboard. Invest in a good sound system. Preach salvation for a simple acceptance of what the church is up to. Ignore the harder verses but if some narrow verses are somehow brought up...never let the Holy Spirit maintain any conviction of sin in the departing attendees....instead fix that with an altar call!

This is a great question as I see Churches trying different techniques, some successful, some not so successful.

I think they should attract young people with youth programs. It's vital that teenagers and young adults are also attracted! They are the future!

I am non-denominational, I respect all, and go to many different Churches. I go to Church to worship God, not be indoctrinated with that particular Churches views. I love sermons built around the gospel that steer away from politics and indoctrination, but won't go back to a Church that seems to have it's own agenda. I doubt if I am unique in this.

Getting back to basics would be my suggestion!

For Churches that have mortgage and salary obligations and can't realistically function with only a handful of people, what are some of the ways you think a church should or shouldn't draw people to attend?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 For why should you, my son, be exhilarated with an adulteress
And embrace the bosom of a foreigner?
21 For the ways of a man are before the eyes of the LORD,
And He watches all his paths. (Proverbs 5:20-21 NASB)
Statistics say that if you put an electric guitar in with your worship music, your attendance will increase by 10 per cent.
Add name it and claim it sermons and your attendance will increase who knows how much.
Sell everything, books, cds, dvds, Bible classes, schooling, etc... and the church will become very rich.

Re: What are ways to get people to come to a church?

or maybe let go of the building and instead of caring for the building show the love of Christ without any motive, expecting nothing in return other than they grow closer to Him?

That's what the Apostle Paul did.

Re: The Lord will send 'em in when He chooses to.

Do you subscribe to the belief that if God doesn't answer your prayers it's a sign to close the doors and move on?

And I'm pretty sure you had another post that isn't here now. Who did you say started the "it's not about you" thing? He is very, very wrong. It's about all of us. I've seen this phrase used to suppress dissenting opinion too many times.

Nah, the shouldn't close the doors. Keep praying, fasting perhaps. Get the Holy Spirit into that church. Maybe the staff and select members could do a combined prayer vigil & fast together. Everyone draw closer to the Lord and He will draw closer to the church. He will, take care of the details as the other poster put it.

My church is huge. It doesn't even pass a collection plate. The have offering boxes set up all around and it's enough. My church probably has the biggest outreach into the community of any church in town. They give so much to the community. It all comes back. The place is modest, but big. They don't have 400K dollars worth of decorations all over. The pastor wears blue jeans instead of a 600 dollar suit. They have flannel boards and a Childrens ministry! And when you walk in the place, you can feel the power of God present. There is a heavy spirit presence there. It's all about giving to others there. Whether it is help, or spiritual food. I don't even think the pastor speaks there, I think it's the Holy Spirit speaking through him.

They say don't read the bible for information. Read the bible to get to know God. I think they have something there. People are starving for spiritual meat in today's world. Give it to them. People will talk and bring more in. Substance. They will come. I will pray for them.

Was you talking about my "It's not About Us" thread? That was me. That is not wrong. It is not about us. It is about the Lord, and giving Him glory and worship. Our lives are not our own, bought and paid for. We have sonship. We are sowers of seeds only. All we have to do is to know the Lord and believe. To walk in the Spirit and live as Jesus lived. In the Spirit, in total love, with no expectation of anything onto others. Then they will see what we have and want it. They will come. I don't even try to convert people anymore. They expect that. I just let them see what I have and have confidence that the Holy Spirit will water that seed after they leave. But of course a church should have an altar call.

I think maybe they may be trying too hard? The Holy Spirit's a big boy and does great works on His own. Stay focused on the Spirit and not on the church and things may turn around. Marketing is not the answer, the Holy Spirit is.

Oh, I wasn't offended. I just knew that it is true though for it is something I was given recently and was just being willing to clarify if need be. :)

Church is all about everyone in attendance...including yourself.

We go there to serve, and be served. We need to be built up just as much as we need to build others up. Paul said we are to build each other up when we meet together.

Back