Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How do you know the Bible is the complete, infallible, literal Word of God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
So, I call myself a Christian because I believe in the power of Jesus-He has helped and continues to help me through some very tough times. However, as much as I want to believe the Bible is completely true I just can't-Some of it just seems too far fetched to be taken literally (key word...). That being said, I tend to approach scripture in a symbolic way, and therein find some great codes to live by. I have noticed the majority of people on this board seem to take the Bible literally and my question to you would be why? How can you possibly believe the Earth/universe was created in 6 days? How can you believe that people lived to be hundreds of years old? Why doesn't that happen today? Is it, perhaps, just what you were raised to believe and therefore didn't bother to question it? I am simply curious, and I mean no disrepect whatsoever to any of your beliefs.

essentials

So, I call myself a Christian because I believe in the power of Jesus-He has helped and continues to help me through some very tough times. However, as much as I want to believe the Bible is completely true I just can't-Some of it just seems too far fetched to be taken literally (key word...). That being said, I tend to approach scripture in a symbolic way, and therein find some great codes to live by. I have noticed the majority of people on this board seem to take the Bible literally and my question to you would be why? How can you possibly believe the Earth/universe was created in 6 days? How can you believe that people lived to be hundreds of years old? Why doesn't that happen today? Is it, perhaps, just what you were raised to believe and therefore didn't bother to question it? I am simply curious, and I mean no disrepect whatsoever to any of your beliefs.

essentials

Why should I judge God in such a way as to refute what He says about His creation? Who cares if it is a literal day? Why would you allow such a matter to deter you from believing what God says? Why would you let the awesome nature of many of the accounts in the Bible deter you from knowing the God of the Universe intimately? I choose to believe it and know full well that in the end, when I see God, I will have all my answers then. In the meantime, I enjoy God and am not hampered by unbelief in any way.

Unbelief is a terrible thing--and a bad choice. It is truly the sin of judging God, thereby placing oneself on His throne. It keeps you from God and all He has planned for you.

I ask God to reveal to me His truth before I open the Bible and when I read it, He does. Sometimes the words jump out at me! Try it!

Hebrews 4:12 NLT is an important verse:
For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.

Why should I judge God in such a way as to refute what He says about His creation? Who cares if it is a literal day? Why would you allow such a matter to deter you from believing what God says? Why would you let the awesome nature of many of the accounts in the Bible deter you from knowing the God of the Universe intimately? I choose to believe it and know full well that in the end, when I see God, I will have all my answers then. In the meantime, I enjoy God and am not hampered by unbelief in any way.

Unbelief is a terrible thing--and a bad choice. It is truly the sin of judging God, thereby placing oneself on His throne. It keeps you from God and all He has planned for you.

I ask God to reveal to me His truth before I open the Bible and when I read it, He does. Sometimes the words jump out at me! Try it!

For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.
Amen Alabaster.
It also proves itself, the prophecies of Jesus in the OT, happened.
As alabaster mentioned, I, too come to the Word in prayer and an open heart to receive what God has to teach me. There is no other book where you can receive revelation through your Spirit, it's alive and powerful as Hebrews states.
Pray about it, He will reveal the truth to you.
peace

Well, of course I had to jump in as I have a very similar post running now. I understand that to admit to even only one of the smallest errors and/or stretches would in effect ruin the Bible for the masses because if a single item is found or noted, then surely there must be more. The problem with that sad truth is that it rules out any and all gray areas. I think there is a difference between unbelief and sin of judging compared to simply questioning the logic of certain events. For a very long time everybody knew the world was flat and that was that. I do not see it as a sin to question something that just does not seem right or as in some stories not even possible. Hebrews 4:12 is a beautiful verse, and for all practical purposes I feel to be true. However it does not answer the question.

essentials

I know that the bible is the complete, infallible, literal word of God because that's how I was born again, through its incorruptible and miraculous nature..

Can two walk together except they be agreed ?

It's impossible to walk with God and not believe His word.. and in the volume of the book it is written of Me, says the LORD.. it's God's testimony concerning His Son.

essentials
For one a lifetime of study has shown it to be true. You cant see the wind, yet it still blows, You can feel it on your skin and you can see it when it blows the trees. A mature christian can see Gods actions in his enviroment in the same way.
A study of creation and evolution will show that evolution has more holes in it than a screen door. The sciences are subject to a terminal problem, there financing comes from the gov, providing they have Group support. Thus group think is needed for survival. Ask yourself some questions.
How did blood clotting evolve. blood does not dry in the air and if it dried everywhere the host would die instantly. But there is no need for it before the first cut and without it the host would die the first time. Why do we have voices and ears, communication is not needed in a survival of the fittest enviroment, And one is useless without the other.
A true study of the sciences will point to God, and a 6 day creation.
Oh and The lifespans started dropping after the flood. God limited the lifetime of man to a 120 years. Do the math most of those born before the flood died in the flood. Dont just read it, challenge it.

Unbelief is a terrible thing--and a bad choice.

I picked this sentence out while skimming over the thread and felt compelled to make a comment. I don't want to derail the topic too much but I also don't really want to make a thread (my arguments certainly don't hold much weight in apologetics and theology!)

I was just wondering if unbelief, or belief for that matter, is a choice. You certainly can choose to adhere (or not to adhere to) all of the tenets of a religion, but if you don't believe in your heart of hearts, I feel there is nothing you can do (or choose to do) to change it. The same goes for an atheist who works to deny a belief in god while they are really hiding one.

Anyways, something to ponder and discuss.

I picked this sentence out while skimming over the thread and felt compelled to make a comment. I don't want to derail the topic too much but I also don't really want to make a thread (my arguments certainly don't hold much weight in apologetics and theology!)

I was just wondering if unbelief, or belief for that matter, is a choice. You certainly can choose to adhere (or not to adhere to) all of the tenets of a religion, but if you don't believe in your heart of hearts, I feel there is nothing you can do (or choose to do) to change it. The same goes for an atheist who works to deny a belief in god while they are really hiding one.

Anyways, something to ponder and discuss.

If one is calling himself a Christian, he is dishonouring God by his unbelief. A Christian believes what God says. If it is hard to believe, we still choose to believe, and we need to pray and ask God to help our unbelief.

Just think---if someone has been given a revelation of Christ and His cross by the Holy Spirit that brings him to the most wonderful miracle of all--salvation, why and how this problem with unbelief? It can only make one's faith utter shaky ground!

For a Christian, it becomes a choice. Choose life. A strong one.
I prefer solid ground.

essentials

first off, start with the pray is the god of the bible real? and then await for the answer. let him reveal himself to you.belief what the bible does say when you read it and pray and he is revealed to you. i cant say how he does it(or will). then let what you dont understand be slowly revealed to you in due time.trust me there is much i dont understand and wont. i have been with christ for 15 yrs. these are:

war and why does man do so much evil
how creation came to be.
why did i go through what i did(bi-sexual nature prior to christ)

The bible is a book like no other,it is a spiritual book and contains the revelation of God, however there are places that do not necessarily go together to the satisfaction of most folks, just trust the Lord and what you understand follow and do not worry about the rest. Don't ever try to defend the bible as without error to the world(can't be done).

Don't ever try to defend the bible as without error to the world(can't be done).
I will always defend the inerrancy if the Bible. If it falls on deaf ears, that's not my problem or my roll to convince them. I can only plant seeds, and seeds aren't planted by leaving room for error. I've never heard a convincing argument that ANYTHING is of error in the Word. Some may see certain things as allegory, but this isn't the same as calling them errors.

There are some things that cannot be proven true or false for sure, but the fact that much of the historicity has ac
tually has been proven accurate gives me confidence to accept the whole. Civilizations, events and people who were once believed not to have existed or occurred have since been discovered through archaeology. Some scoffed at these things before they were proven accurate. I believe further proof regarding other things will come in time, though this is not necessary to increase my faith.

The Bible is inerrant. There. I said it.

essentials

I wasn't raised to believe and I question the Scriptures and hold them to the text all the time....they pass the tests.

As far as how I can believe that people lived to great ages back when God first created man and for a number of generations afterwords...because I think our bodies, if not subjected to diseases and pollution and impurities would live for a long, long time, something that modern scientists are discovering to be possible. Since, when God made the world, He made it "good", there were no diseases, pollution and impurities, man was protected from those things until after the flood, and it was after the flood that the live spans of men started to plummet....

You said, " However, as much as I want to believe the Bible is completely true I just can't-Some of it just seems too far fetched to be taken literally (key word...). That being said, I tend to approach scripture in a symbolic way, and therein find some great codes to live by."

I don't take everything in the Bible literally...mainly because not everything is to be taken literally. There are many things that are symbolic, many things that are metaphorical, many parables and stories...and much that is simple literal and historical facts. However, ALL of it is true. If you approach the Scriptures with the idea that all of it is true, and then wrestle with passages that seem really illogical or "fairy tale-ish", asking God to reveal the truth to you...I find that He generally does.

Approaching Scripture in a symbolic way and finding great codes to live by is OK, but the problem with that is that it becomes quite easy to say..."I don't agree with that, therefore that part must not be truth." The end result being that one shapes the Scriptures to make it say what one wants, rather than allowing the Scriptures to shape us more according to what God wants for us.

I will always defend the inerrancy if the Bible. If it falls on deaf ears, that's not my problem or my roll to convince them.
Amen, brother!

I will always defend the inerrancy if the Bible. If it falls on deaf ears, that's not my problem or my roll to convince them. I can only plant seeds, and seeds aren't planted by leaving room for error. I've never heard a convincing argument that ANYTHING is of error in the Word. Some may see certain things as allegory, but this isn't the same as calling them errors.

There are some things that cannot be proven true or false for sure, but the fact that much of the historicity has ac
tually has been proven accurate gives me confidence to accept the whole. Civilizations, events and people who were once believed not to have existed or occurred have since been discovered through archaeology. Some scoffed at these things before they were proven accurate. I believe further proof regarding other things will come in time, though this is not necessary to increase my faith.

The Bible is inerrant. There. I said it.

Yes the Bible is inerrant. But which Church has the inerrant and infallible, true doctrine and interpretation of the Bible, the true Gospel of God in Christ? People differ in many ways over this basic, simple questions, and people give very very many many incredibly different and contradictory answers.
Scott Harrington Erie PA

Our error in interpreting the Word does not make the Word errant. That's a thread of a different color. The Word is inerrant. Our interpretation of it is often not.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back