Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How many “churches” are there?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The Bible tells us that there is only ONE body. Eph 4. And that the body is the church so the Bible tells us that there is only ONE church. So why do I see a different “church” on about every corner in America? Did God start all of these “churches”? He said there was one!
The key is....how can a person identify the one true church of God. The one he built. The one he purchased with his own blood. Ac 20:28. You can identify the church the same way you can identify anything else. By its description. If someone stole your car and you wanted the police to find it they would ask you to describe it. You would then give them the make, model, color, license plate, any stickers or other dents or identifying marks. They then can know EXACTLY what to look for. Why can’t we do the same thing with the church?
Let’s try and start with Origin. Jesus said he would build his church. Mt 16:19.
1. When did Jesus build HIS church? It belongs to him and no one else.
We will look this up in the next post.
Scripture says we are the Called, ekklesia. The English word ‘church’ is not a translation of the Greek word ekklesia, it comes from a completely different word and replaces what scripture actually says.

Why is this important? Because ekklesia has a specific identity, ‘church’ is just a word that can be placed at the end of a specific doctrinal position- such as, Baptist Church. Its meaning is rendered useless by the divisional monikers we associate with it.

I’ve seen the irony when these churches bless America for religious freedom… until you enter the church and have to hide some of your scriptural insights and sign documents stating you agree to believe their interpretation of the Bible.
Religious Freedom is most often interpreted as, ‘we can do and say whatever we want, God said so in our Constitution!’ (…yes, these types exist)

I would venture to guess, based on what I’ve heard (& experienced) over the years, anyone can build a building or lease a space, call it a church, invite church-goers as a source of income, and know little about the Word of God.
Church marketing strategists are prompting pastors to earn up to 60% of your tithes, which they, themselves, instruct you is your duty to God to give to this non-profit charitable organization. [so, a church of 100 faithful tithers who make as little as $25,000/yr might have a pastor who makes $150,000/yr.— it’s a performance-based income. It’s bound to attract those with the gift of entrepreneurship and ‘new product, new service’ strategies.]

Scripture says we are the Called, ekklesia. The English word ‘church’ is not a translation of the Greek word ekklesia, it comes from a completely different word and replaces what scripture actually says.

Why is this important? Because ekklesia has a specific identity, ‘church’ is just a word that can be placed at the end of a specific doctrinal position- such as, Baptist Church. Its meaning is rendered useless by the divisional monikers we associate with it.

I’ve seen the irony when these churches bless America for religious freedom… until you enter the church and have to hide some of your scriptural insights and sign documents stating you agree to believe their interpretation of the Bible.
Religious Freedom is most often interpreted as, ‘we can do and say whatever we want, God said so in our Constitution!’ (…yes, these types exist)

I would venture to guess, based on what I’ve heard (& experienced) over the years, anyone can build a building or lease a space, call it a church, invite church-goers as a source of income, and know little about the Word of God.
Church marketing strategists are prompting pastors to earn up to 60% of your tithes, which they, themselves, instruct you is your duty to God to give to this non-profit charitable organization. [so, a church of 100 faithful tithers who make as little as $25,000/yr might have a pastor who makes $150,000/yr.— it’s a performance-based income. It’s bound to attract those with the gift of entrepreneurship and ‘new product, new service’ strategies.]
Ekklesia really does not have a specific identity as you claim.
In fact ekklesia is a more general term than church is.
Ekklesia
ek-klay-see'-ah
Noun Feminine
NAS Word Usage - Total: 114

a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly
an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating
the assembly of the Israelites
any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance, tumultuously
in a Christian sense
an assembly of Christians gathered for worship in a religious meeting
a company of Christian, or of those who, hoping for eternal salvation through Jesus Christ, observe their own religious rites, hold their own religious meetings, and manage their own affairs, according to regulations prescribed for the body for order's sake
those who anywhere, in a city, village, constitute such a company and are united into one body
the whole body of Christians scattered throughout the earth
the assembly of faithful Christians already dead and received into heaven

church
noun
noun: church; plural noun: churches

a building used for public Christian worship.

So an ekklesia is a general gathering together(secular or religious, not necessarily Christian) whereas church just relates to Christian worship.

So an ekklesia is a general gathering together(secular or religious, not necessarily Christian) whereas church just relates to Christian worship.
Oh, so that word meaning was changed in scripture because it was too vague for us? Ok, I see what you’re saying… I guess it is convenient to have one word that describes both the people and the building rather than two separate words. Or, I wonder if it was changed because the word ekklesia was only about people and church encompasses so much more.

Thanks for straightening me out on that, seems like everything you read has a double meaning.

Oh, so that word meaning was changed in scripture because it was too vague for us? Ok, I see what you’re saying… I guess it is convenient to have one word that describes both the people and the building rather than two separate words. Or, I wonder if it was changed because the word ekklesia was only about people and church encompasses so much more.

Thanks for straightening me out on that, seems like everything you read has a double meaning.
What is this other word that you say church is translated from?

I see you are getting it backwards.

Ekklesia is a general word and church is more specific.

The church is of divine origin and cannot be corrupted or reformed by the tradition of men! Truth is immutable!

The church the only ark of salvation, the household of faith and is not spiritual to the exclusion of the physical or invisible to the exclusion of the visible but, visible, invisible, spiritual, physical, and supernatural of divine origin and therefore divine preservation! Matt 16:18-19 Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13 Jn 10:16

A city set on a hill: Matt 5:14
Light of the world: Matt 5:14
Pillar of truth: 1 Tim 3:15
Teach and sanctify all men: Matt 28:19

Unity of faith!

Four Marks of the True Church founded by Jesus Christ on Peter, the apostles, and their successors!

One, holy, catholic (universal) and apostolic (succeeding from Christ, Peter and the apostles)

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(Acts 9:4 eph 4:4 eph 5:32)
The church is the pillar of truth
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13)

Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Christ established the sacraments as the primary means of grace!

Sacramental life: Jn 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. Jn 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Christ founded the church for the salvation of souls!
Teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation!
Matt 28:19

Psalm 33:4 For the word of the Lord is right; and all his works are done in truth.

The church is of divine origin and cannot be corrupted or reformed by the tradition of men! Truth is immutable!

The church the only ark of salvation, the household of faith and is not spiritual to the exclusion of the physical or invisible to the exclusion of the visible but, visible, invisible, spiritual, physical, and supernatural of divine origin and therefore divine preservation! Matt 16:18-19 Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13 Jn 10:16

A city set on a hill: Matt 5:14
Light of the world: Matt 5:14
Pillar of truth: 1 Tim 3:15
Teach and sanctify all men: Matt 28:19

Unity of faith!

Four Marks of the True Church founded by Jesus Christ on Peter, the apostles, and their successors!

One, holy, catholic (universal) and apostolic (succeeding from Christ, Peter and the apostles)

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(Acts 9:4 eph 4:4 eph 5:32)
The church is the pillar of truth
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13)

Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Christ established the sacraments as the primary means of grace!

Sacramental life: Jn 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. Jn 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Christ founded the church for the salvation of souls!
Teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation!
Matt 28:19

Psalm 33:4 For the word of the Lord is right; and all his works are done in truth.
Total fabrication....there are many thousand churches.

Total fabrication....there are many thousand churches.
Matt 16:18-19 I will build my church (singular)
Jn 16:13 one fold (one church)

Only Christ has authority to found the church on Peter and all others are only sects full of errors and the tradition of men

Only Christ has authority to found the church on Peter and all others are only sects full of errors and the tradition of men
The church was NOT founded on Peter. Peter was NOT the head of the church, Jesus Christ was and is. No scripture supports this claim.

The church was NOT founded on Peter. Peter was NOT the head of the church, Jesus Christ was and is. No scripture supports this claim.
You right Jesus is the head of the church and the king, but He ascended to heaven!
Did he appoint anyone to be the head of the church on earth in His place until He returns in glory or does He allow spiritual anarchy producing spiritual chaos and confusion?

Who did God choose in acts 15:7?

Thanks

You right Jesus is the head of the church and the king, but He ascended to heaven!
Did he appoint anyone to be the head of the church on earth in His place until He returns in glory or does He allow spiritual anarchy producing spiritual chaos and confusion?

Thanks
There is no head of the church other than Christ. Jesus appointed no one.

There is no head of the church other than Christ. Jesus appointed no one.
It’s a free-for-all spiritual anarchy???

Are you sure I have loads of verses that say otherwise!

Lk 22:29 for example

29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

And
Acts 15:7 referring back to Matt 16:18-19

Thanks

On the last day, there will be one church.

It’s a free-for-all spiritual anarchy???

Are you sure I have loads of verses that say otherwise!

Lk 22:29 for example

29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

And
Acts 15:7 referring back to Matt 16:18-19

Thanks
Am i sure? I'm positive. You are misunderstanding Mat 16:18-19. Look up my thread on this forum which covers this topic in detail entitled Peter not the 1st pope.

Thread 'Peter NOT the 1st pope: Analysis Matthew 16 - Peter and the keys of the kingdom' https://christianforums.net/threads...w-16-peter-and-the-keys-of-the-kingdom.94913/

Thanks
No one is stating that Peter was NOT one of the true Apostles of the Lord. Just as Paul was as well. It isn't a contest they had the same authority from above. It is God who makes the seed they planted grow. You state Jesus is in heaven as if His arm is to short to act His will on earth.

No one is stating that Peter was NOT one of the true Apostles of the Lord. Just as Paul was as well. It isn't a contest they had the same authority from above. It is God who makes the seed they planted grow. You state Jesus is in heaven as if His arm is to short to act His will on earth.
Acts 15:7 who did God choose?

Back