Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How many “churches” are there?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
This would not match the definition of a Church.
So no... an individual can not be a church.

You are confusing the church with a church building that is of a denomination.

The church is the body of Christ, universal.

Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. And God has appointed these in the church:… 1 Corinthians 12:27-28

Each person is a member of the church; the body of Christ

Each city according to scripture, has a church that gathers there.
Not many different church denominations in a city, but one church that gathers in a city.

And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write…
Revelation 3:7

JLB

You are confusing the church with a church building that is of a denomination.
No I am not.
You have not asked me any questions to clarify my position.
Please do not straw-man me.
The church is the body of Christ, universal.
One very loose interpretation.. yes... but still theoretical at this time.
Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. And God has appointed these in the church:… 1 Corinthians 12:27-28
Yes... the English here says there is a difference between the Body(Church) and the individual members.
You are making my point for me.
Each person is a member of the church; the body of Christ
You are confusing terms again. The Body or the church?

Each city according to scripture, has a church that gathers there.
Not many different church denominations in a city, but one church that gathers in a city.
My city has many churches... so your assertions falls flat.
Also there is reference in the Bible to a Church meeting in a house... not a city... so there is very much room for multiple churches in one city.
1Cor 16:19 The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write…
Revelation 3:7
Again you are bringing up the references to 7 churches.
Do you see Revelation as past history or future prophecy?

The traits of the Spirit Peter lists confirm your calling and election. They do not secure it like Catholics believe they do.

10Therefore, brothers, strive to make your calling and election sure. For if you practice these things you will never stumble, 11and you will receive a lavish reception into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:10-11

I stand by my assertion that the Catholic gospel is a works justification gospel. The one condemned in scripture. Catholics believe you are made a justified/saved person by having faith and doing works. Instead of how Abraham, our example of "righteousness apart from works" (Romans 4:6, Romans 4:23-24) was justified/saved - by faith all by itself apart from works (Romans 4:6). His later obedience being the sign of his righteousness that he already had by faith, not the procurer of it (Romans 4:11).
Not works alone as Paul rightly opposes but faith and works

If you are in Christ, you are a priest.

John, to the seven churches which are in Asia:
Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth.
To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. Revelation 1:4-6

JLB
Spiritual priests of the royal priesthood sure but I’m talking about ministerial priesthood

The three fold new covenant priesthood: and priesthood in scripture is plural.

High priesthood: “Jesus Christ”
acts 10:14
heb 5:1
heb 8:1
heb 8:3

Ministerial priesthood: “apostles & their successors, and those they ordain” (low priests)
Mk 3:14
Jn 15:16
Jn 20:23
acts 1:15-26
acts 14:23
Acts 16:4
Rom 15:16
1 cor 9:14
1 Tim 3:1-2
1 Tim 2:7
1 Tim 4:14
Phil 1:1
James 5:14

The ministerial priesthood acts in “the person of Christ” so it is Christ who acts thru them vicariously.
2 cor 2:10

Royal priesthood: “baptized members of Jesus Christ”
1 pet 2:5-9

The new covenant was a reformation of the mosaic covenant so it has many similarities. Heb 9:10
Heb 10:9
Old Israel:

Ex 19:6
And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

New Israel:

1 pet 2:5-9
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Gal 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

Gal 6:16
And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Apostles / bishops were ordained priests by Jesus Christ at the last supper: 1 cor 11:24-26
do this in memory of me. offer this in memory of me, the Passover was a sacrifice. Ex 12:27 1 cor 5:6-8

Worship:

Adoration: rev 7-12
Propitiatory reparation: Jn 1:29
rom 3:25 1 Jn 2:2 1 Jn 4:10
1 Jn 2:2 1 Jn 4:10
Thanksgiving: Phil 4:6
Petition: Phil 4:6

Spirit and truth:

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Offering the eternal sacrifice of Christ for the salvation of all men!

There are three parts of the priesthood in the new covenant church:

In the order of Melchisedec,
Christ high priest:

His apostles low priests: or
Ministerial priesthood:

and the royal priesthood of Christians.

Christ is Eternal priest:

Heb 7:17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Christ is High priest:

Heb 8:1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

Low priests / priesthood:

There must be low priests in the same order for a high priest to be over them. And the word in scripture “priesthood” is plural.

Jn 20:21-23 apostles have authority to forgive sins.

Christians Required to Confess you’re sins.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Lamb of God:

John 1:29
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

1 cor 5:7 …For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Christ is Eternal priest:

Heb 7:17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Christ is High priest:

Heb 8:1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

Low priests / priesthood:

There must be low priests in the same order for a high priest to be over them. And the word in scripture “priesthood” is plural.

The holy sacrifice of Christ:

Holy sacrifice of Christ is offered eternally, the office of a priest is to offer sacrifice, Christ is eternal priest so He offers an eternal sacrifice! Both by the high priest and the low priesthood.

once for all:

once bloody on the cross and for all time unbloody sacrifice, pure offering or clean oblation.

Jesus Christ at the last supper ordained the apostles as priests in the order of melchisedec, to offer His eternal sacrifice as he commanded them; do this in memory of me.

Do this in remembrance of me!

Luke 22:19
And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

1 Corinthians 11:24
And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

1 Corinthians 11:25
After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

Malachi 1:11

For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the Lord of hosts.

A pure offering:
A Clean oblation:
An Unbloody sacrifice:

Not works alone as Paul rightly opposes but faith and works
Works of righteousness are utterly powerless to make you righteous and, therefore, eligible for salvation and entrance into the kingdom of God.

The only way to become righteous in God's sight is to have the guilt of your unrighteousness forgiven and replaced with the righteousness that comes from God. Both of which are received by believing and trusting that God will give them to you, not by working for them as Catholics and other religions do. Catholics serve a works justification gospel. That is another gospel. One that can not save you.

Works of righteousness are utterly powerless to make you righteous and, therefore, eligible for salvation and entrance into the kingdom of God.

The only way to become righteous in God's sight is to have the guilt of your unrighteousness forgiven and replaced with the righteousness that comes from God. Both of which are received by believing and trusting that God will give them to you, not by working for them as Catholics and other religions do. Catholics serve a works justification gospel. That is another gospel. One that can not save you.
Not so, we are baptized into Christ
United to his merits and grace that makes our actions righteous and meritorious
How were these righteous lk 1:6?

Not so, we are baptized into Christ
United to his merits and grace that makes our actions righteous and meritorious
No. The action and work and obedience of baptism is not what makes you righteous. Cleansing and renewal by the Holy Spirit is what makes you righteous. The cleansing of your soul by the Spirit is what makes you righteous. Titus 3:5

Your obedience to do a righteous work is not what makes you righteous. The Holy Spirit, the righteousness that is from God, received by having faith in the promise is what makes you righteous.

Last edited:
How were these righteous lk 1:6?
They were not made righteous by their obedience to the commands and ordinances of the Lord. They obeyed the commands and ordinances of the Lord because they were righteous.

This difference in doctrine between Catholics and Protestants is why we non-Catholics abandoned the Catholic church. It teaches a works justification gospel. Doing righteous things is not what makes you righteous. Regeneration and cleansing by the Holy Sipirt is what makes you righteous. You do not get the Holy Spirit by being righteous. You get the Holy Spirit by believing God's promise about his Son.

No. The action and work and obedience of baptism is not what makes you righteous. Cleansing and renewal by the Holy Spirit is what makes you righteous. The cleansing of your soul by the Spirit is what makes you righteous. Titus 3:5

Your obedience to do a righteous work is not what makes you righteous. The Holy Spirit, the righteousness that is from God, received by having faith in the promise is what makes you righteous.
Grace is not possible apart from the sacraments

The Bible tells us that there is only ONE body. Eph 4. And that the body is the church so the Bible tells us that there is only ONE church. So why do I see a different “church” on about every corner in America? Did God start all of these “churches”? He said there was one!
The key is....how can a person identify the one true church of God. The one he built. The one he purchased with his own blood. Ac 20:28. You can identify the church the same way you can identify anything else. By its description. If someone stole your car and you wanted the police to find it they would ask you to describe it. You would then give them the make, model, color, license plate, any stickers or other dents or identifying marks. They then can know EXACTLY what to look for. Why can’t we do the same thing with the church?
Let’s try and start with Origin. Jesus said he would build his church. Mt 16:19.
1. When did Jesus build HIS church? It belongs to him and no one else.
We will look this up in the next post.
Seven local churches are mentioned in the book of Revelation. Others have letters written to them. There are thousands of local churches.

They were not made righteous by their obedience to the commands and ordinances of the Lord. They obeyed the commands and ordinances of the Lord because they were righteous.

This difference in doctrine between Catholics and Protestants is why we non-Catholics abandoned the Catholic church. It teaches a works justification gospel. Doing righteous things is not what makes you righteous. Regeneration and cleansing by the Holy Sipirt is what makes you righteous. You do not get the Holy Spirit by being righteous. You get the Holy Spirit by believing God's promise about his Son.
How did the become righteous?

Right(for a given value of right)... but what would be your interpretation of the word "ekklisia"?
There is more nuances to "church" than just the body of Christ.

The church is a separate people group, called out of darkness into His marvelous light; a holy nation, a royal priesthood.

The Church is a holy nation, and was typified by the nation of Israel.

The Church is the Israel of God.

Jesus is Israel; A Prince of God.

When Israel was a child, I loved him,
And out of Egypt I called My son.
Hosea 11:1

When he arose, he took the young Child and His mother by night and departed for Egypt, and was there until the death of Herod, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, “Out of Egypt I called My Son.” Matthew 2:14-15

The church is a separate people group, called out of darkness into His marvelous light; a holy nation, a royal priesthood.

The Church is a holy nation, and was typified by the nation of Israel.

The Church is the Israel of God.
So you use no references for your thoughts on Church.
But I asked for your understanding of the work ekklisia.
So do you know what the Greek word means or are you trying to avoid the question?
Jesus is Israel; A Prince of God.

When Israel was a child, I loved him,
And out of Egypt I called My son.
Hosea 11:1
This is not how language works.
These are two distinct statements.
And you appear to bleed them together to form a statement that is not in the original Biblical text.
That is man making a separate scripture.
So according to basic English rules, Jesus is NOT Israel using your Hosea quote.
When he arose, he took the young Child and His mother by night and departed for Egypt, and was there until the death of Herod, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, “Out of Egypt I called My Son.” Matthew 2:14-15

Seven local churches are mentioned in the book of Revelation. Others have letters written to them. There are thousands of local churches.
Good job one, holy, catholic, and apostolic! There is only one founded by Christ all others are the tradition of men!

If you read rev it is thee (one true) church located in 7 cites

Good job one, holy, catholic, and apostolic! There is only one founded by Christ all others are the tradition of men!

If you read rev it is thee (one true) church located in 7 cites
By your definition the Apostolic Church would be the one founded by Christ.
Not the Catholic Church.

And 5 of the 7 Churches in Revelation have God actively fighting/removing/warring with them.
So the 5/7ths of the one true church has God working against them.
Sounds right to you?

Not found in scripture.
Mk 16:16

The Christian sacrament* of baptismal regeneration is required for the new covenant and salvation!

*this promise acts 2:38-39 is a sacred oath from God ez 36:25-27 and a sacred oath is a sacrament!

Initiation!!!

Faith & Baptism is the initiation of the new and eternal covenant!

You cannot enter on you’re own or by “faith alone”!

You cannot receive Christ or grace by “faith alone”!

“Accept Christ as you’re personal lord and savior” is fundamentalist tradition not found scripture!

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Baptismal regeneration a new creation in Christ! 2 Cor 5:17

A sacrament is an oath! A sacred promise from God! Ez 36:25-27
Acts 2:38-39 (this promise)

No baptism no grace!

A sacrament is an outward sign for all men including infants And a gift from God to help us see what he does inwardly and invisibly by his grace!

As grace Washes our souls in the merits of Jesus blood from original and personal sin, so the outward action of washing is visible!

without the outward action the inward action cannot take place!

Jn 3:5 Titus 3:5 water and washing
acts 22:16 wash away your sin!

Jn 3:5 Born again BY water and the spirit! Not by “faith alone”!

They did not go to Jerusalem and preach “accept Christ as you’re personal Lord and savior “

They went to the river (water) and they baptized! Jn 3:22

A covenant requires an outward sign of the inward action of grace!

Ez 36:25 I will sprinkle you with clean water and you shall be made white as snow.

Acts 22:16 washing away your sins.

Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

1 pet 3:21 baptism saves you.

You cannot enter on you’re own or by faith alone!

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Heb 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Baptism!

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38 eph 2

Born again! Born from above!

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by God thru baptism!

Christ instituted the holy church for the salvation of all men, (repent and believe the gospel, with the institution of the sacraments to convey grace to sanctify souls!

Effects of faith & baptism!

Ez 36:25-27 washed in baptism, with a new heart and the Spirit
Jn 3:5 born again in baptism
Mk 16:16 faith & baptist
Acts 2:38 repentance & baptism
Acts 8:36-38 faith & baptism
Acts 22:16 baptism washes away sin
Rom 6:3 died with Christ
Col 2:12 risen with Christ
1 cor 12:13 baptized into the church
Gal 3:27 by baptism put on Christ
2 Tim 1:10 eph 2:1 and 5 brought to life
2 cor 5:17 new creation
Eph 1:13 sealed by the Holy Spirit
Eph 4:5 one faith, one baptism
Eph 5:26 faith and baptism
Titus 3:5 baptismal regeneration
1 pet 1:2 washed in Christ’s blood
1 pet 2:9 the kingdom of light
1 pet 3:20-21 baptism saves us!

“Faith alone” accomplishes nothing!
1 cor 13:2 even all faith (alone) without charity avails NOTHING!!!

Faith and baptism!

Scripture says none of the things about “Faith alone”!

Only James 2:24 a man is justified by works and not by “faith alone”

2 Peter 1:11
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The Christian sacrament of baptism is the Initiation into the new covenant and must be ministered to you by the apostles!

Back