Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How many “churches” are there?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
But the disciples started many different churches.
Which one are you referring to as there are quite a few founded during the lifetime of the disciples.

Yes there are churches in different cities.

The apostle Paul didn’t go and raise up a church in a city that was for Jews, then start another church in that city that was for Gentiles.

JLB

Yes there are churches in different cities.

The apostle Paul didn’t go and raise up a church in a city that was for Jews, then start another church in that city that was for Gentiles.

JLB
But multiple congregations in the same city are definitely implied so that would allow for choice in attendance and so be defined as a denomination.
You could go to the church lead by Apollos, or Cephas, or Christ... but not to divide them.
One body with many denominations.

The mercy he pleaded for made him righteous (justified), not what he did to get it:

"God, have mercy on me, a sinner!" Luke 18:13-14,

"He saved us, not by the righteous deeds we had done, but according to his mercy" Titus 3:5.
Titus 3:5 refers to baptism

But multiple congregations in the same city are definitely implied
To the angel of the church of Ephesus write,
‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: Revelation 2:1

To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
1 Corinthians 1:2

when Paul writes to a city he refers to "the church" in that city.

When Paul wrote to a region with many large cities he addressed the churches.

Paul, an apostle (not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead), and all the brethren who are with me, to the churches of Galatia: Galatians 1:2

JLB

Titus 3:5 refers to baptism
You're Catholic. You're taught that the act of baptism makes you righteous, rather than God's mercy given in the forgiveness of sin and the imputation of his righteousness via the Holy Spirit. You serve a works gospel. You serve a false religion that says you are made righteous by being obedient to do righteous deeds and rituals instead of being made righteous by God's forgiveness and the Holy Spirit. Titus 3:5, 2 Timothy 2:9

‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: Revelation 2:1

To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Sorry but Revelation is not written by Paul.
Do you see why I question your interpretation of the Bible?

Paul, an apostle (not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead), and all the brethren who are with me, to the churches of Galatia: Galatians 1:2

JLB
And I'm sure you have a point.
Not exactly sure what it is... as I have never disagreed with your quoting of these verses.

But the disciples started many different churches.
Which one are you referring to as there are quite a few founded during the lifetime of the disciples.
Matt 16:18 only Christ has authority to found the one universal church on the apostles eph 2:20
Local churches under a local bishop are part of the universal church united to Peter (prime minister holding the keys of the kingdom) united to christ the king!

Matt 16:18 only Christ has authority to found the one universal church on the apostles eph 2:20
Local churches under a local bishop are part of the universal church united to Peter (prime minister holding the keys of the kingdom) united to christ the king!
You keep repeating this but it does not get any more convincing the 100th time.

Everybody thinks the church they attend is the one true church, lol.

There is only one true church - the body of Christ. The body of Christ is all those who belong to the body of Christ by virtue of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Because of the corruption that entered the church shortly after the time of the Apostles (Acts 20:29) there has not been a group of people that, as a whole and as an earthly entity, represents the body of Christ, the church, as that was true in the day of the Apostles. The best we have now are various organizations meeting in buildings where people, who may or may not belong to the one true church, the body of Christ, meet together under various official creeds and beliefs and practices that have strayed to one degree or another from the original church of the Apostles.
Who has the keys of jurisdictional authority? Isa 22:21-22 Matt 16:18

Sorry but Revelation is not written by Paul.
Do you see why I question your interpretation of the Bible?
Where did I say Revelation was written by Paul?

I think you see the truth, but are not wanting to admit it, so you are just making up nonsense rather than actually address my points.

Where did I say Revelation was written by Paul?
Post 125.
I think you see the truth, but are not wanting to admit it, so you are just making up nonsense rather than actually address my points.
What points... name one and I will address it.

I don't see a point here... but make one single point and let us address it.

Post 125.

Where in this post did I say Paul wrote the book of Revelation?

Where in this post did I say Paul wrote the book of Revelation?
You include a Revelation reference without any mention of John but multiple references to Paul.
This is a logical assumption.

Now what was that one point you wanted to bring up to discuss?

So thumbs up is the theological point you wish to discuss?
No thank you.

Was there something else on your mind?

I think you must have missed post # 137 where I listed my point that I have made several times now.

Here is one of my points that I have made.

The church is the body of Christ.

Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. And God has appointed these in the church:...
1 Corinthians 12:27-28

Back