Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How many “churches” are there?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Yes, made righteous by the mercy of God in the forgiveness of sin and the imputation of his righteousness via the holy spirit received by faith, not made righteous because you did something righteous that God declares you righteous for doing- that's the works gospel condemned in scripture.
These are fine in baptism
Acts 22:16 gal 3:27

Neither was circumcision a self inflicted ritual, yet it is the epitome of doing 'work' in order to be righteous before God.

You don't understand why work can not make you righteous. That's why you think it's a matter of doing the right kind of work to be justified. But no work is able to make you righteous. Work has no power to do that. You don't become a righteous person by doing righteous things. That's why God will not declare you righteous for doing work. You can only be made righteous by having the unrighteousness of your sin removed through the forgiveness of that sin and being given the righteousness of God as a free gift of his grace received by simply believing his promise that he'll give it to you.

To be made righteous is to receive a righteousness outside of yourself. You do not become a righteous person by obediently doing righteous things. This is the revelation that came to Luther which caused him to reject and abandon the Catholic church.
So now you believe in “new revelation” and “new doctrine”? Jude 1:3

No, Luther's revelation was not new to mankind. I pointed out to you in other posts that his revelation came from the Bible. Specifically Romans 1:17. He sought the righteousness that he was taught by the Catholic church develops in you as you seek to be more and more obedient. Then he saw in the scriptures that righteousness comes from outside a person and comes by having faith in God's mercy, not by doing righteous things.

Last edited:
These are fine in baptism
Acts 22:16 gal 3:27
If you believe that you become righteous by being obedient to righteous deeds or religious rituals, rather than by the mercy of God's forgiveness and the cleansing of the Holy Spirit, then you are serving a works gospel.

Last edited:
And so Luther said, "Woa, you mean the righteousness by which I will be saved, is not mine?" It's what he called a justitia alienum, an alien righteousness; a righteousness that belongs properly to somebody else. It's a righteousness that is extra nos, outside of us. Namely, the righteousness of Christ. And Luther said, "When I discovered that, I was born again of the Holy Ghost. And the doors of paradise swung open, and I walked through."

R.C. Sproul

And Luther said, "When I discovered that, I was born again of the Holy Ghost. And the doors of paradise swung open, and I walked through."

Amen, amen, and amen! May God be forever praised!
This is the testimony of everybody who has been born again through faith, apart from works.

God doesn't call it being born again for nothing. It's an awakening of being born afresh into a new life. Eternal life.

Last edited:
No, Luther's revelation was not new to mankind. I pointed out to you in other posts that his revelation came from the Bible. Specifically Romans 1:17. He sought the righteousness that he was taught by the Catholic church develops in you as you seek to be more and more obedient. Then he saw in the scriptures that righteousness comes from outside a person and comes by having faith in God's mercy, not by doing righteous things.
Really he was a rosacrucian occultist who was attacking the church of Christ, do you accept the decrees of apostolic councils like Luther did, he demanded a council to settle his innovations

If you believe that you become righteous by being obedient to righteous deeds or religious rituals, rather than by the mercy of God's forgiveness and the cleansing of the Holy Spirit, then you are serving a works gospel.
By grace the merits of Christ’s blood must be applied to our souls in a supernatural way thru the sacraments

And so Luther said, "Woa, you mean the righteousness by which I will be saved, is not mine?" It's what he called a justitia alienum, an alien righteousness; a righteousness that belongs properly to somebody else. It's a righteousness that is extra nos, outside of us. Namely, the righteousness of Christ. And Luther said, "When I discovered that, I was born again of the Holy Ghost. And the doors of paradise swung open, and I walked through."

R.C. Sproul

And Luther said, "When I discovered that, I was born again of the Holy Ghost. And the doors of paradise swung open, and I walked through."

Amen, amen, and amen! May God be forever praised!
This is the testimony of everybody who has been born again through faith, apart from works.

God doesn't call it being born again for nothing. It's an awakening of being born afresh into a new life. Eternal life.
RC sproul scraping the bottom of the barrel now, he believes in reformed theology
Truth is divine and immutable!

Really he was a rosacrucian occultist who was attacking the church of Christ, do you accept the decrees of apostolic councils like Luther did, he demanded a council to settle his innovations
Knock, knock. Start listening. The revelation he received is right out of the pages of the Bible. No interpretation needed. The Catholic church had suppressed this knowledge with their wickedness for centuries.

RC sproul scraping the bottom of the barrel now, he believes in reformed theology
The Reformers weren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they did see the revelation of justification by faith apart from works quite clearly. Luther was drained and tired from trying to be accepted as righteous by God by doing righteous things all the time. God rescued him from his erroneous Catholic works relationship with God by opening his heart and mind up, in the midst of his distress, to the truth of receiving God's righteousness through faith apart from works. He was following the path that all born again people walk. Born again people start out in the tiring futility of trying to be righteous by doing righteous deeds and rituals and, instead, fall on the mercy of God in their despair when they realize that way doesn't work. Just like the fellow in Luke 18:11-14. Catholics are taught to do rituals and deeds to be accepted by God. That's a works justification gospel.

Oh, and by the way, what Sproul was sharing in that quote had nothing to do with himself. He was relating the experience of Martin Luther. That's why I shared it. I wanted you to know what caused Luther to rebel against the Catholic's erroneous doctrine of justification. The one that wore him to a frazzle and left him helpless and defeated trying to achieve a righteousness that was free for the asking all along.

Knock, knock. Start listening. The revelation he received is right out of the pages of the Bible. No interpretation needed. The Catholic church had suppressed this knowledge with their wickedness for centuries.
Documentation please
Don’t forget
2 Peter 3:16
As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their owndestruction.

That's called works justification.
It’s called the new covenant
Covenant’s have requirements
Must be an outward sign

The biblical mandate of God’s work of creation!

Water and the spirit!

First creation:

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

(water and the spirit)

Noah:

Gen 8:8 Also he sent forth a dove (representing the spirit) from him…

(Water and the spirit)

Red Sea:

Led thru the waters by the spirit.
Exodus 13:21
And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:

(Water and the spirit)

Josuha

Joshua and the people of Israel crossing of the Jordan led by the spirit.

Joshua 1:1 Now after the death of Moses the servant of the Lord it came to pass, that the Lord spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ minister, saying, 2 Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.

(Water and the spirit)

Prophecy of the new creation: (new covenant)

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you…
acts 2:38-39 “this promise”

(Water and the Spirit)

Baptism of Jesus

Jn 1:31 I come baptizing with water. 32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

(Water and the spirit)

New creation by water and the spirit

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

(Water and the spirit)

Christian sacrament of baptismal regeneration is by: WATER AND THE SPIRIT!

The Reformers weren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they did see the revelation of justification by faith apart from works quite clearly. Luther was drained and tired from trying to be accepted as righteous by God by doing righteous things all the time. God rescued him from his erroneous Catholic works relationship with God by opening his heart and mind up, in the midst of his distress, to the truth of receiving God's righteousness through faith apart from works. He was following the path that all born again people walk. Born again people start out in the tiring futility of trying to be righteous by doing righteous deeds and rituals and, instead, fall on the mercy of God in their despair when they realize that way doesn't work. Just like the fellow in Luke 18:11-14. Catholics are taught to do rituals and deeds to be accepted by God. That's a works justification gospel.
Justification by the practice of virtue (humility) and prayer

Show me a scripture that says we died with Christ by “faith alone”?

raised with him by “faith alone“?

Rom 6:3 died with Christ
Col 2:12 risen with Christ

Justification by the practice of virtue (humility) and prayer
No, that's called works justification, lol.

It's you doing righteous things in order to be righteous. Meanwhile us non-Catholics receive the righteousness of God to become righteous. Any honest person who's tried knows it's impossible to be righteous enough for God to declare you righteous. The only way to be righteous in God's sight is to receive his free gift of right standing with him by having the guilt of your unrighteous deeds forgiven by faith, not replaced with the vain and futile effort of your own righteous workings.

Show me a scripture that says we died with Christ by “faith alone”?

raised with him by “faith alone“?
You're leaving out the 'apart from works' part.
The death of the power of the flesh to keep you enslaved to sin happens when we receive the power of the Holy Spirit. We become immersed in the Holy Spirit when we believe. No righteous work has any power to release you from the power of the flesh. Only being forgiven by God and given his Holy Spirit, by faith, can do that. Your baptismal water can't do that. It can only clean dirt off your body. It has no power to transform you. Only the Holy Spirit, received by faith in God's promise of a Son, can do that. The Catholics turned water baptism into a work that makes you right with God. No, faith in God's forgiveness does that all by itself apart from works.

Documentation please
17For the gospel reveals the righteousness of God that comes by faith from start to finish,d just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.” Romans 1:17

You Catholics live by works. You think you live because you do works. You are working you're own righteousness instead of receiving the righteousness that is from God apart from works.

I know you don't believe any of this. You are by definition an unbeliever. You do not believe and trust in the righteousness that comes from God through faith in his forgiveness. You believe and trust in the righteousness of your own behavior.

You're leaving out the 'apart from works' part.
The death of the power of the flesh to keep you enslaved to sin happens when we receive the power of the Holy Spirit. We become immersed in the Holy Spirit when we believe. No righteous work has any power to release you from the power of the flesh. Only being forgiven by God and given his Holy Spirit, by faith, can do that. Your baptismal water can't do that. It can only clean dirt off your body. It has no power to transform you. Only the Holy Spirit, received by faith in God's promise of a Son, can do that. The Catholics turned water baptism into a work that makes you right with God. No, faith in God's forgiveness does that all by itself apart from works.

A sacrament is an outward efficacious sign instituted by Christ to give grace. Jesus Christ himself is the sacrament, as he gave his life to save mankind. His humanity is the outward sign or the instrument of his Divinity. It is through his humanity that the life of the Trinity comes to us as grace through the sacraments. It is Jesus Christ alone who mediates the sacraments to allow grace to flow to mankind.

Christ sent the Holy Spirit at Pentecost to inspire his Apostles and his Church to shepherd his flock after his Ascension into heaven. "As the Father has sent me, even so I send you" (John 17:18, 20:21). Jesus is the Head of his Body the Church (Colossians 1:18). The Church itself is a sacrament instituted by Christ to give grace. Jesus gave us his Body the Church to continue the works he performed during his earthly life. Grace given to us through the sacraments will help us lead a good life in this world and help save us for the Kingdom of Heaven.

The sacraments were instituted by Christ! The Church celebrates in her liturgy the Paschal mystery of Christ, his Passion, Sacrifice on the Cross, Resurrection, and Glorious Ascension. The Greek word μυστήριον or mystery in the Greek New Testament is translated into sacramentum in the Latin Vulgate Bible, from which we derive our English word sacrament (examples: Ephesians 1:9, Ephesians 3:9, Colossians 1:27). The saving effects of Christ's Redemption on the Cross are communicated through the sacraments, especially in the liturgical celebration of the Eucharist.

17For the gospel reveals the righteousness of God that comes by faith from start to finish,d just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.” Romans 1:17

You Catholics live by works. You think you live because you do works. You are working you're own righteousness instead of receiving the righteousness that is from God apart from works.

I know you don't believe any of this. You are by definition an unbeliever. You do not believe and trust in the righteousness that comes from God through faith in his forgiveness. You believe and trust in the righteousness of your own behavior.
Faith and works
Prayer, alms, fasting, suffering, practice of virtue

James 2:42 implies faith and works
Please explain Phil 1:29

Back