Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

I am a Catholic, why should I consider becoming a Christian?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
sisterchristian said:
Just what part of "Works is not what gets you into heaven" do you not understand?? Your works is the evidence that you are indeed born again (the fruit of the spirit) It what follows being born again! It is not the Works that ultimately get you into heaven! :smt021

So the samaritan (who was not a jew or Christian by the way) would have been fine leaving the guy in the ditch.

I don't believe that works get one in to heaven either but it is quite clear from Rom 2:4-8 and Matt 25 that a lack of them can keep on out of heaven.

thessalonian said:
So the samaritan (who was not a jew or Christian by the way) would have been fine leaving the guy in the ditch.

I don't believe that works get one in to heaven either but it is quite clear from Rom 2:4-8 and Matt 25 that a lack of them can keep on out of heaven.

Bottom line:

Faith without works is dead. (Yeah, a Lutheran said it. :lol: :wink: )

Fnerb said:
Bottom line:

No this is the bottom Line

When you add works as a requirement for salvation then you are saying that what Jesus did for us on the cross was not Sufficiant!

sisterchristian said:
No this is the bottom Line

When you add works as a requirement for salvation then you are saying that what Jesus did for us on the cross was not Sufficiant!

It's not about adding works to salvation.

How do you know you are a born again child of God? You test your life in light of scripture. Are you living a life of sanctification? Are you loving your neighbor?

If you profess yourself to be a child of God and are truly born again your life will reflect such. Will you still struggle with sin? Of course. Will you still crawl back to the cross for forgiveness - on a daily basis. However, if you live as you would like and you are not producing fruit, how can you be connected to the vine?

Well yeah! So are we we don't just study the Bible at church, we study at home too that just goes without saying! But there is still no excuse for Catholics to not bring their Bibles to church. You need to read and follow along to make sure that what they are teaching you is in fact God's word, and not some made up stuff that they thought of on their own.

I think people would notice if someone said they were reading from Luke but were really just making it up as they went along. The Readings are posted ahead of time you could find the readings for tommorow and go study them, which I usually do the night before, or even the readings for a year from now. I can guarantee you though that none are stuff they "just thought of on their own".

Fnerb said:
Bottom line:

Were you aware that the Lutherans and Catholics issued a joint document on justification a few years back?

aj,

I agree. Thanks for your clarification. If one reads John's book of revelations actually the whole book is spiritually played out in the Mass every single day. A good book on this is Scott Hahn's "The Lamb's Supper". He realized this when he was still a protestant pastor and sat in on a Mass one time. The whole thing parralleled the book of revelatoins. It's a fact. But once again you are not open to it.

Yes, I realized what you were trying to say. I am about half way through The Lamb's Supper, it is quite good.

Texasgirl said:
Were you aware that the Lutherans and Catholics issued a joint document on justification a few years back?

No I wasn't.

I've also realize though that I need to be careful what people think when I say "Lutheran". There are some "Lutheran" synods out there that are just ... well ... "out there".

I think people would notice if someone said they were reading from Luke but were really just making it up as they went along.
Not really, your assuming this for someone that may know the bible, But how many people that profess to be Catholic have actually picked up their Bible and studied it? Everyone I know that is Catholic has not, they just go to mass every sunday and listen to whatever the preist is telling them, and take that for the truth.

sisterchristian said:
Not really, your assuming this for someone that may know the bible, But how many people that profess to be Catholic have actually picked up their Bible and studied it? Everyone I know that is Catholic has not, they just go to mass every sunday and listen to whatever the preist is telling them, and take that for the truth.

What is silly here is that everyone would not half to know. All it would take is for one to know the bible and there are many in the catholic church who do and in fact many in the protestant churches who don't read it either. I heard on Protestant radio that 50% of Protestants have not read the bible in the last year. The number would be considerably worse for daily reading.

You didn't answer my question. Do you suppose that the 3000 who were baptized on pentecost and the 4000 the next day brought bibles to church with them the next day or the next sunday?

Of course there are people that don't pick up their Bible. This isn't just a Catholic problem though. Even if all the people at your Church bring their Bible how many of them are actually reading it? And I don't just mean reading by skimming, I mean actually praying the Scriptures. I am sure you and many others do as I do myself at Mass but of course there are always people that won't read the Bible even if it is shouted in their ear. All we can do for these is pray for them and pray that we might be able to show them the true beauty of the Scriptures.

Fnerb said:
No I wasn't.

I've also realize though that I need to be careful what people think when I say "Lutheran". There are some "Lutheran" synods out there that are just ... well ... "out there".
Which synod are you? And which ones would you consider 'out there'? I've always been interested in how the whole 'synod' deal works.

This was issued with the Lutheran World Federation, and here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/ponti ... on_en.html

Catholics would in fact notice because they have had the scripture read to them so many times. I usaully know the scriptures on sunday immediately when they start reading them. Primarily because I have heard them in Mass so many times over the years. When I read them later there is nothing different. Your point is pointless sisterc. It is another one of those same old rehashed arguements that sound good on the surface to the one who hates catholicism. But don't hold under scrutiny.

thessalonian said:
Catholics would in fact notice because they have had the scripture read to them so many times. I usaully know the scriptures on sunday immediately when they start reading them. Primarily because I have heard them in Mass so many times over the years. When I read them later there is nothing different. Your point is pointless sisterc. It is another one of those same old rehashed arguements that sound good on the surface to the one who hates catholicism. But don't hold under scrutiny.
You really should start being honest in your assessment of those speaking out against the teachings of Roman Catholicism. It is not a hatred of catholicism; it is a hatred of the teachings of the devil that are being taught to the laity in the Roman Catholic Cult. Get it straight edited!!!!

Is it important to study the Bible? Of course it is, otherwise God wouldn't have given us His Word. It is up to the individual to study the Bible. Yes, of course we can go to church and study it too. The Bible says that faith cometh by hearing and by the Word of God. This tells me that we are to make sure the preacher is teaching correct doctrine. The Word was very important to Jesus too, as He often said it is written.

I believe we do have a great responsibility to study the Bible ourselves. Let me ask some questions. From the start of the first century till now, we have many past Thelogians and present day thelogians with many commentaries. How do we know they are correct? Do we sit back and take their word for it? Are we not suppose to be lead by the Spirit? Are we not to discern what is correct or not? I don't know about you, but I want to be a part of the know crowd. Doesn't the Bible say, my people are destroyed by lack of knowledge? Well it does.

Let me give you an important reason why we are to show thyselves approved. I believe we all know how some denominations have come into error in the recent years. The Episcopal church is a good example. Most of their leaders say it is alriight to be a homosexual and Ok to live that life.Well the Bible says homsexual behavior is an abomination before God. So, if one doesn't study this issue in the Bible for himself, then this person could possibly believe what the preacher is preaching. And this could these people straight to hell.

In ending my discussion here, I will give you a few words of wisdom: I believe it is all important that we pay personal attention to our eternal welfare, and that we not trust the best man in the matter. If we permit men to mislead us in eternal matters and are lost, it will be too late to personally see after our welfare.

Ccan I have an Amen?

May God bless, Golfjack

Solo said:
You really should start being honest in your assessment of those speaking out against the teachings of Roman Catholicism. It is not a hatred of catholicism; it is a hatred of the teachings of the devil that are being taught to the laity in the Roman Catholic Cult. Get it straight edited!!!!
Amen, solo!

Jack, I think I can give you a whole-hearted Amen on studying the Word for ourselves...as a believer, I think God has put it us, His children, to want to know Him, and His Word, in Truth. I think we should be gleaning everyone, everything, and especially the Word for the Truth.

As far as faith...James points to works justifying us. Why does he say this? Aren't we justified by grace through faith? Yes, we are. I don't think that James is contradicting Paul. Why then? I would say it's because our definition of faith is off. Faith is acting on the Truth that we believe in. This is why James can say that he will show you his faith by his works. It's not the evidence of faith...it's the nature of faith. The Lord bless all of you.

lovely said:
Jack, I think I can give you a whole-hearted Amen on studying the Word for ourselves...as a believer, I think God has put it us, His children, to want to know Him, and His Word, in Truth. I think we should be gleaning everyone, everything, and especially the Word for the Truth.

As far as faith...James points to works justifying us. Why does he say this? Aren't we justified by grace through faith? Yes, we are. I don't think that James is contradicting Paul. Why then? I would say it's because our definition of faith is off. Faith is acting on the Truth that we believe in. This is why James can say that he will show you his faith by his works. It's not the evidence of faith...it's the nature of faith. The Lord bless all of you.
I would just like to say that I believe you are exactly right and that is quite profound.

thessalonian said:
YEP. The scriptures are incredible. We had the parable of the good samaritan for sunday. Our men's bible study group looked it over Saturday and guys brought out so many things in that passage I hadn't seen before. Then I was doing a signup for Theology of the Body, by John Paul II on Sunday. I heard two priests sermons at two Masses, bringing up things we hadn't even considered that rang to the heart. THe scripture are amazing!

Oh and then there is that Theology of the Body by JP II that I mentioned. Tonight I am fascilitating an 8 week study on it. You protestants have nothing like it. It captures the depth and beauty of what it means to be male and female, marriage, family, Christ's redemption. It is all solidly based in scripture. If you were open you would be greatly blessed by it but all you will do is criticize and geer and make fun. That is extremely immature three and sisterc.
Wow...you really have a distorted view of what protestants do. We have "nothing like it???"...you have no idea what we have! And anything by JP II would write has to be corrupt. You wish it was based in scripture. The words might be there but it's most likely taken out of context. They're real good at that!

I am not closed minded as you seem to think. If I was, I'd still be Catholic! And yes, at times, I do poke fun because of her filth. It disgusts me. I await for the day Jesus destroys her. :bday:

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back