Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

If God says do not kill why does He kill?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi, my daughter brought this question to me.
And when I came to my answer it was because God is Judge as He is also Merciful.

But for some reason that was not enough to free her mind.

So as I was searching the internet I came across what seemed to be a Catholic thought on the subject. However I am no Catholic. That was the only article I've read at this point.

I would love for someone who is not Catholic to critique the article for me. And be so kind to express from scripture how you would answer the titled question.

And when I came to my answer it was because God is Judge as He is also Merciful.

So as I was searching the internet I came across what seemed to be a Catholic thought on the subject. However I am no Catholic. That was the only article I've read at this point.

I would love for someone who is not Catholic to critique the article for me. And be so kind to express from scripture how you would answer the titled question.

Without reading the article...
The folks that God has destroyed knew the penalty for their sins was death.
They sinned anyway.
God, who cannot lie, gave them what they asked for.

God never said "you shall not kill." The commandment states: "you shall not MURDER." This is specifically referring to premeditated first degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, execution, warfare, self defense and animal slaughter are not covered. In fact, there're laws about designated sanctuaries for the protection of those who committed involuntary manslaughter, they were to be jailed there until public trial.

And be so kind to express from scripture how you would answer the titled question.

Not gonna critique the article either, but the answer to the question is rather simple.

God created all life from nothing, including the human race. What He gives life to He has the same right to take life from. Humanity does not have the right to take life that belongs to Him.

Some could superficially argue that they give life to their children, but that is in no way the same thing. Mice, worms, and insects procreate as well. God created the earth and everything in it; the stars and the moon, the planets, and all living creatures. Those who think they have the same rights He does need to create their own planet and their own universe, and inhabit it with creations of their own liking. Then they can have some basis upon which to tell Him what He should be doing with His.

The article you give here isn’t Catholic. It’s Protestant, in the Reformed tradition. I agree with all of it and find nothing to be critical of.

God is always just in all he does. So, he never kills for the sake of killing nor does he make a mistake in doing so. Because his justice needed to be satisfied in the OT, he often used (premature, unnatural) death to bring judgement on people (natural death is the punishment for everyone). When whole people groups were to be killed, it was only once the full measure of their sin had been reached. God often used the Israelites to carry out his judgement against sinful nations, but also used those nations to do the same to the Israelites.

God never said "you shall not kill." The commandment states: "you shall not MURDER." This is specifically referring to premeditated first degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, execution, warfare, self defense and animal slaughter are not covered. In fact, there're laws about designated sanctuaries for the protection of those who committed involuntary manslaughter, they were to be jailed there until public trial.
So murder and killing are different
Her question was why does God do things He commands other not to do.
So this is good.
This was a good answer. Because some of the conversation was, why does God do what He commands others not to; As killing.
But as you said .....and then the word looked up as quoted by "Got Questions "
means murder.
So God does not murder, He kills.
And He has commanded people to kill?

next we may want to add the difference..
Like is killing in regards to punishment or judging

The article you give here isn’t Catholic. It’s Protestant, in the Reformed tradition. I agree with all of it and find nothing to be critical of.

God is always just in all he does. So, he never kills for the sake of killing nor does he make a mistake in doing so. Because his justice needed to be satisfied in the OT, he often used (premature, unnatural) death to bring judgement on people (natural death is the punishment for everyone). When whole people groups were to be killed, it was only once the full measure of their sin had been reached. God often used the Israelites to carry out his judgement against sinful nations, but also used those nations to do the same to the Israelites.
Hi, tks Free for taking time to read it. I was not sure and wanted to share it with my daughter. I'm not sure of what reformed is either. But seemed He used Catholic voices to either critique or agree with.
And so I did not want to add confusion.

Good pt. That natural death is punishment for everyone...where can I find that in scripture?

Who is it your daughter understood that God had "killed"?
The specifics of what brought this question up in her mind could make quite a difference in the answer

It sounds like this moment & question with your daughter has been arranged by God Himself for you to explain to her the difference between those who have died both physically & spiritually and will never have life , and those who have died but whose bodies only "sleep" to be awoken to eternal life with Lord Jesus.

2Co 4:14
Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.

This was a good answer. Because some of the conversation was, why does God do what He commands others not to; As killing.
But as you said .....and then the word looked up as quoted by "Got Questions "
means murder.
So God does not murder, He kills.
And He has commanded people to kill?
It wasn't an answer, but deconstruction of a false premise. This is a typical loaded question with a false premise, what it needs is a correction, not an answer.

Hi, tks Free for taking time to read it. I was not sure and wanted to share it with my daughter. I'm not sure of what reformed is either. But seemed He used Catholic voices to either critique or agree with.
And so I did not want to add confusion.

Good pt. That natural death is punishment for everyone...where can I find that in scripture?

Rom 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned— (ESV)

1Co 15:56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. (ESV)

The thing about these kind of questions is that it takes just a moment to ask, but even longer to explain. I think the answer that is easiest to understand is that God actually doesn't want people to die, but because people are made of matter they are susceptible to their body failing in one way or another and thus they can die. Even Jesus died, but it isn't as though God killed Jesus. There is also a Biblical way to explain this, but I would first try to understand that humans as they currently are cannot live forever without some serious modifications. You could use that as a segue to talk about how God actually wants to resurrect people to immortality.

Because God's morality is set on souls, not bodies.

God literallly kills each and every single human in one way or another, as curse brought by Adam and Eve. It is a Law enforced action. What God cares is where humans' soul will go after they died. Saving every single soul possible remains His job on earth. He won't allow a single sheep left behind. That's where His morality being set.

God kills with the full awareness of where the souls will go, in order for Israel to be built as a vessel to convey God's truth to today's human kind such that not a single sheep in today's world would be left behind. That sets His morality. For the same reason, God killed the already dead Canaanites who were under the influence of Satan and determined to stand in God's way of salvation towards human kind via the establishment of Israel.

erlc.com/Killing. Are there exceptions

Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

Is there a conflict between these two scriptures, no.

Murder is the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice or forethought. Murder, therefore, is distinguished from killing by the issue of motive.

Jesus identified that motive behind murder as anger in Matthew 5:21, 22. Christ goes to the root of the behavior and sees the anger behind the action. The act of murder is still subject to the punishement in Genesis 9:6.

In Exodus 20:13 God forbids murder as He emphasizes the value of human life because we are all made in His image, but God also shows us that killing doesn't always fall under the category of murder.

Situations where killing is not murder as in accidental death or in self-defense where one is allowed to protect themself, Exodus 22:2, 3; Deuteronomy 19; Nehemiah 4:11-14. Exodus 22:2, 3. If a thief breaks into your house at night time and is struck that he would die there is no blood guilt on the who causes the thief to die. But if it is during the daylight then the punishment of Genesis 9:6 would apply as the thief life was valued . So even after the command in Exodus 20:13 God permits the taking of a life if one's own life is in potential danger. While reasonable self-defense is recognized in scripture, value for human life is the rule.

Capital Punishment

Genesis 9:6 God established capital punishement even before giving the law of "Thou shall not kill" to Moses. The punishment in Genesis 9:6 speaks to the severity of the crime. The taking of a life warrants a punishment as in a death for a death. It's not given for vengeance, but for justice and the role of justice is carried out by one specific office, Romans 13:1-6.

Just Wars

In the OT we read that at times God commands battles between nations. These wars were God's hand of justice against the wicked. There is a difference between the act of murder and a death in battle. In the NT the Church is not a nation that goes to war anymore as the kingdom of God is not of this world, John 18:36. We no longer fight for territory or possessions, but the wicked of even today will be punished according to the law God established in Genesis 9:6.

Deuteronomy 32:39 See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. 40 For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever. 41 If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.

Are you saying God is a hypocrite? Please explain what you mean here.

God says that he loves us more than our parents but he won't save a child from being raped by a priest. Even my mom is infinite times more loving than the God of the bible.

God says that he loves us but he will throw the unbelievers in hell.

God claims that he loves us but he settled up a system in which his loving children will burn in hell just because our greatest grandparents ate an apple... A freaking apple.

God claims that he loved his creation but he drowned his own creation because they were not following him.

God claims that he's a just God but he tell us how we should treat our "slaves"!

And much more...

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back