Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

if one doest accept the trinity then what was jesus?

Micah 5:2 (King James Version)

2But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

mondar said:
Mohrb said:
John 10:33........ The Jews answered him: “We are stoning you, not for a fine work, but for blasphemy, even because you, although being a man, make yourself a god.â€
My guess is this is the New World mistranslation.
Did Yahshua say he was a god, or did he say he was Yahwah?

mondar said:
Mohrb said:
John 10:33........ The Jews answered him: “We are stoning you, not for a fine work, but for blasphemy, even because you, although being a man, make yourself a god.â€

Mondar,

The Trinity doctrine is based on not so clear verses. They don't harmonize with clear verses. That's why you guys are confusing everyone including your own followers, and then you say if you don't understand you are not Christian.

shad said:
elijah23 said:
In other words, God felt he needed to come to earth in the form of a human being to teach and be crucified, so he became Jesus and did that.

Then why did Paul say this?

1 Corinthians 8:5-6 (New International Version)
5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

I can bring up many more that clearly state that Jesus and Father the God are completely different Spirits.
Paul does not say God, the Father, and Jesus are two different beings, does he?

elijah23 said:
shad said:
elijah23 said:
In other words, God felt he needed to come to earth in the form of a human being to teach and be crucified, so he became Jesus and did that.

Then why did Paul say this?

5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

I can bring up many more that clearly state that Jesus and Father the God are completely different Spirits.
Paul does not say God, the Father, and Jesus are two different beings, does he?

Yes, he does, read it again. He is explaining about the Father and Jesus separately.

shad said:
elijah23 said:

I ask you the same question:

Why did Paul say this?

5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom Again, Paul does not say God, the Father, and Jesus are two different beings, does he?

shad said:
Yes, he does, read it again. He is explaining about the Father and Jesus separately.
That doesn’t mean they aren’t the same being does it?

elijah23 said:
I ask you the same question:

Why did Paul say this?

5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom Again, Paul does not say God, the Father, and Jesus are two different beings, does he?

These are simple and clear to me. What is so confusing to you? The Father is God, and Jesus is our Lord. And everything was made by Jesus because God authorized it.

Take a look at the semi colon, that is the separation in how he is explaining about the two.

Is English your second language?

shad said:
John Doe is a wonderful husband.
John Doe is a wonderful father.
Is John Doe one person or two?

God, the Father, is our Creator.
He walked the earth as Jesus, I believe.
Are God and Jesus two different beings?

shad said:
These are simple and clear to me. What is so confusing to you? The Father is God, and Jesus is our Lord. And everything was made by Jesus because God authorized it.

Take a look at the semi colon, that is the separation in how he is explaining about the two.

God plays more than one role.

He is the creator. He walked the earth as a person. He talks to us individually: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

He is just one being, though, I believe.

shad said:

I worship one God, who I believe walked the earth in the body of Jesus Christ, who speaks directly to me with his Holy Spirit. I believe in one God—not three.
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD. Deut 6:4 RSV
Where in the Bible does it say we are to worship three Gods?

Mohrb said:
Honestly, considering the context of Jesus repeatedly giving all glory to his Father, calling his father the "Only true God" (John 17:3), constantly telling people that he does nothing by his own power, but only does the will of his Father and God.... one verse is cherry-picked out where a term that's used for humans is given to the Son also, and there's suddenly NO possibility other than Jesus being the same being as his Father?

Honestly... if Jesus being referred to as "theos" means he must be the same being as "ton theon" ... how do you see the verses where humans are referred to as "theoi?"

Can a trinitarian ever answer this question?
You are exactly right, and I am not trinitarian. The bible makes 2lear statements.
#1 Jesus is God
#2 the Father is the only God

If both of these are true (which they are unless scripture is a lie) Then Jesus' deity is the Father.

shad said:
dadof10 said:
The Bible itself doesn't say it has to be accepted as a rule of faith either, but you accept it.

Yes it does say it clearly. Here is what Jesus says:

"For God so love the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."

You misunderstood me. The Bible nowhere says that the Bible is to be taken as a rule of faith, my point being, you accept extra-Biblical doctrines (i.e. sola-Scriptura). That the Trinity is not spelled out clearly enough for you shouldn't matter, since you accept other doctrines also not clearly spelled out.

[quote:u52xbifl] this may have been covered already.

Yes, everything you are saying is covered already. All you have to do is read this thread.[/quote:u52xbifl]

OK, I found it. Thanks.

No it is not clear statement at all. My Lord is Jesus, My God is Father. If you want to believe otherwise it is plain I cannot stop you.

Thomas could easily be exclaiming to the Father and Jesus at the same time.

I believe that translation is not clear. Jesus did not rebuke him because He knew Thomas was exclaiming to the Father too.

You see, it is not clear because we can read in more than one way.

Huh??? This makes no sense. Could you please elaborate?

Mysteryman said:
Show me where it says ----- And Thomas said to Jesus, YOU(Jesus) are my Lord and my God

Way too many people put their own private interpretation upon scripture, so that a verse or phrase within scripture suggests what they are thinking.

Thomas said - "My Lord and My God"

Now, was he speaking too Jesus ?

Or

Was he speaking about God , whom raised Jesus from the dead ?

He was speaking directly to Jesus.

"And Thomas answered and said unto him [autos], My Lord and my God."

And Jesus answered Thomas directly : "Jesus saith unto him..."

You must deal with the plain, SIMPLE words of Scripture.

shad said:
mondar said:
Mohrb said:

Mondar,

The Trinity doctrine is based on not so clear verses. They don't harmonize with clear verses. That's why you guys are confusing everyone including your own followers, and then you say if you don't understand you are not Christian.

Shad,
Yes, the issue is who is a Christian. That has always been the question. The first anti-trinitarians may have been the gnostics. Of course the Early Church Fathers rejected gnostic philosophy. Later the Arians came into being. Historic Christianity has always rejected non-trinitarians as being a part of the faith. I say this not to cause offense, but the truth in this matter is definitional of the term "Christian." The concept of three persons, one being is historically definitional. If I am wrong about Christ being a part of the godhead, then I am not a Christian. I am not worshipping the real and actual God. If you are wrong, then you are not a Christian, and you worship a wrong God. I absolutely admit that I think in those ways because the issue of the trinity is definitional to Christianity.

As for clear/unclear verses, I would suggest the most clear verse in the entire NT is in Colossians 2:9.
(ASV) "9 for in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily, ,"

While the entire concept of the trinity might not be in this verse, there is at least a duality in the Godhead. That is the point of this thread, more then the trinity. The OP is correct in starting trinitarian doctrine with the question, "who is Christ." In Colossians 2:9, the nature of Christ as a person of the godhead is clearly articulated. In fact, this verse is air tight.

What is in the verse?
----- "all the fullness" --- It is interesting that Paul not only includes the term "fullness," but he includes the term "all" (pas pasa pan). There is nothing less divine or godlike about Christ then there is about the Father. If the Father is God, Christ is all that God is too. With this phrase he cannot be less then the Father, and yet he is not the same person as the Father.

*** "of the Godhead" --- I wish this word were used more in the GNT, but off the top of my head, I recall that it is the only place in the GNT that this term is used. It is the greek term ????????. It is a strong term, speaking of every and all aspects of what it means to be God. It is a term stronger then the more vague term God (theos).

*** "bodily" --- Christ was not only fully God before his incarnation, but he was fully God when bodily on earth.

Concerning the context issue, and what context is clear and what is not.... Colossians is a book about the very subject of the nature of Christ. Now the Gospel of John certainly has many passages which speak to the issue of the nature of Christ in narrative form, Colossians is more clear because it is set in propositional form, and not narrative. Colossians 2:9 is the most clear statement in Colossians, but there is also Colossians 1:19 also makes reference to the same thing. It is a weaker statement in my opinion because the word "godhead" (????????) does not occur. But it is nevertheless, important. It is Colossians 2:9 that contains the decisive clauses. This is not to say that many passages in John are not also clear, but there is no way around Colossians 2:9.

mdo757 said:
mondar said:
Mohrb said:

Certainly Jesus claimed to be fully God. See the previous post of mine.

shad said:
Verses supporting the deity of Jesus--that he is God in the exact same way the Father is said to be God, yet not the Father--are crystal clear. These are verses that non-trinitarians and those against the deity of Christ must either ignore or change the meaning of, as has been shown numerous times. The whole point of the doctrine of the Trinity is to make sense of all that Scripture reveals about God and Christ. Every other position that I have come across that is non-trinitarian does violence to the text in some way.

No one is saying (that I can see) that if one doesn't understand the Trinity that one isn't saved. However, salvation is very much based on who Jesus is; that is absolutely central.

mdo757 said:
mondar said:
Mohrb said:

Since "my God" is YHWH to Thomas, and Jesus verified Thomas' statement, Jesus claims to be YHWH. Simple, huh?

Back