Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Immortality

Do you believe that the human soul is immortal and non-matter?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not immortal, but it is non-matter

• Other

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Featherbop said:
First of all, when all the Bibles information is put together, it doesn't teach an immortal soul.
I tend to agree with this in part. The older the Bible story, the less it says about an afterlife. The New Testament really pushed the concept of an afterlife. Since most of the people at that time believed in an afterlife, your religion has got to say something about it. Plus it makes a good recruitment tool. (Convert or spent eternity suffering.)

Since I like switching sides and play devil's or God's advocate, here is another possibility. Here is a thought experiment that follows all the rules of physics we know and love. Have something that is extremely fast moving, can see down to the atom, can cut atomic bonds and reform them and has a large computational ability. This could be a robot, alien, angel, or whatever. For this case, assume it is a robot.

Say this robot comes to you in your sleep and cuts you in half and a micro second later, reattaches you back together. Are you the same person before you woke up as after? I think most people would say they were.

The next night, the robot cuts you into 100 pieces and puts you back together in a microsecond. Still the same person?

Night 3, the robot cuts every atomic bond and reattaches them in a microsecond. Same person?

Night 4, the robot cuts every atomic bond and reattaches them in an hour. Same person?

Night 5, the robot cuts every bond, throws away the old atoms and gets a fresh batch of atoms to remake you. Still the same?

Night 6, the robot cuts you apart into atoms and marks down in memory where every atom was. He comes back a month later and reassembles you. Are you still the same person?

Month and a 6 days later, you wake up after being reassembled from the previous question. You find out that the robot made a copy of you already 2 weeks earlier. Are you the same person or is the earlier clone or both?

I don't know how people would answer some of these. It really pushes the spiritual side. For example, if you could copy every atom of a person, do you copy their spirit as well? If the position of every atom is all it takes to describe us completely, then we can be stored in a massive computer and recreated later.

So God could just be a master programmer that makes a backup of humans as they die or whenever and reloads them somewhere else. However, it is materialistic immortality, not spiritual.

Quath

However, it is materialistic immortality, not spiritual.
Quath, you just summed up (or should I say, tore down) your scenario with that last statement. Most of here believe the soul and spirit to be immaterial. If it were posible to re-establish the same soul and spirit to the reassembled body, I would say yes, it could be same person. The body is just a vehicle. I believe there won't be a 'backing up' of the spirit. I say this because I believe it is capable of existing in realms we can't even comprehend.

I'm at work and haven't given this my full attention, so my thoughts are a bit scattered. But I did want to at least comment. :)

Vic said:
Most of here believe the soul and spirit to be immaterial.
That is the tough part. There is nothing to show that we have a soul or spirit. It is not reponsible for personality, mood changes, decisions, recognition, intelligence, or consciousness. All these things have been shown to be material. So the soul or spirit has little relation to who you are.

For example, if you copied yourself atom by atom, did your spirit or soul get copied as well? If so, then the soul is material. If not, then how is this clone any different from the original?

Quath

Quath, interesting scenario there, but first of all, I dought that will ever be possible(of course), but also, the soul may be immaterial, but it is dependant on consciousness and awareness, etc on its body it inhabits, more precisely its brain. The two work together marvously.

But, to make copies of a person, I dought is ever going to be possible, and I don't think God would do that for any reason.

But also, don't you think that if a person was copied, and were all exactly the same, would it create a new soul and spirit, or would it be the same one in two people, two copies of the same one, two different ones?

But, my beleifs have no problems with these scenarios.

Hey, we could get into the cloning of humans in this disscussion.

Featherbop said:
K-O Stradivarius said:
The soul has to be something immortal AND non-matter. If it were matter it would die along with the body. Also, God does not save the body. The body will be destroyed eventually. It will return to the dust just as the Bible says. Therefore, there has to be something non-physical and immortal to save. That would be the soul.

The soul being able to exist as a purely non-matter(with no matter parts to it) would not work. It would have no way to store memories, have intellect, experiance anything. That is a dead soul. God will resurrect.

The soul being immortal would make us as God. Can God not destroy it then?

The soul is completely non-physical. Everything physical will be destroyed. The soul does not store memories or have intellect. Storing memories and having intellect are purely physical things and will pass with the rest of the world.

Yes. The soul is immortal. No, that does not make us God because the soul can't do anything it wants. Furthermore, before Adam and Eve sinned, they were un-dying. They would live forever. Did that make them God? Obviously not. If the soul is not immortal, what goes to heaven? Or is heaven not everlasting?

K-O, if the soul stores no memories, and has no intellect, then how is it, in any way, the person? I don't understand what the significance of a soul with no connection to who/what it used to be?

Can you explain your idea, I don't understand.

"Beloved, do not trust every spirit but test the spirits to see whether they belong to God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

Imorality comes from with in the church as jesus said i have not come to comdem the world why ?

Becouse the world is already judged.

But the LORD said to Samuel: "Do not judge from his appearance or from his lofty stature, because I have rejected him. Not as man sees does God see, because man sees the appearance but the LORD looks into the heart." " [1 Samuel 16:7]

He does not trust in God to protect worthy actions that are seen as possibly causing a public schism. He fears being known as a pope responsible for a new schism. (de facto schisms already exist by reason of the many heresies being propounded, accepted and encouraged by the lack of discipline prevalent throughout the Church.)

* "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength." [Mark 12:30] Full love requires trust.

* "Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." [Matthew 5:18]

* "For if you had believed Moses, you would have believed me, because he wrote about me.[ 47] But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?" [John 5:46-47]

* "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as in all wisdom you teach and admonish one another, singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." [Col. 3:16] God has often followed teaching with discipline; frequently severe.

He believes that compromising the Word of God for the sake of human peace is not offensive to God and may even be meritorious.

* "Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword." [Matthew 10:34]

* "This rather is what I commanded them: Listen to my voice; then I will be your God and you shall be my people. Walk in all the ways that I command you, so that you may prosper.

[24] But they obeyed not, nor did they pay heed. They walked in the hardness of their evil hearts and turned their backs, not their faces, to me.

[25] From the day that your fathers left the land of Egypt even to this day, I have sent you untiringly all my servants the prophets.

[26] Yet they have not obeyed me nor paid heed; they have stiffened their necks and done worse than their fathers.

[27] When you speak all these words to them, they will not listen to you either; when you call to them, they will not answer you.

[28] Say to them: This is the nation which does not listen to the voice of the LORD, its God, or take correction. Faithfulness has disappeared; the word itself is banished from their speech." [Jeremiah 7:23-28]

He is involved with some sin such as active homosexuality or pedophilia and is in denial of a God that condemns. It is apparent that many priests and bishops no longer believe in the teachings of Sacred Scripture.

* "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness, [17] so that one who belongs to God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

[4:1] I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingly power:

[2] proclaim the word; be persistent whether it is convenient or inconvenient; convince, reprimand, encourage through all patience and teaching.

[3] For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers

[4] and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths."

[2 Tim. 3:16-4:4] The Scripture referred to in verse sixteen is the Old Testament. The writings of the New Testament had yet to be formulated.

* "Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes (effeminate) nor practicing homosexuals."

[1 Cor. 6:9] Footnote NAB 1 Cor. 6:9-10: A catalogue of typical vices that exclude from Heaven and that should be excluded from God's church. (Idolatry: Includes the worshiping of goals that opposes God's will.)

4. He is a coward who is unwilling to allow knowledge of some prior sin to be made public for which he is being blackmailed. For this reason, or one of the foregoing, he allows the appointments of bad bishops and cardinals and is incapacitated concerning their just discipline.

* "A good tree does not bear rotten fruit, nor does a rotten tree bear good fruit. [44] For every tree is known by its own fruit."

[Luke 6:43-44] (To promote rotten priests to higher office and then maintain them in office when it becomes unquestionably clear that they are rotten is the work of one with rotted faith and who is therefore unwilling to accept martyrdom for the good of God's kingdom.)

* "But as for cowards, the unfaithful, the depraved, murderers, the unchaste, sorcerers, idol-worshipers, and deceivers of every sort, their lot is in the burning pool of fire and sulfur, which is the second death." [Rev. 21:8]

* "For wickedness, of its nature cowardly, testifies in its own condemnation, and because of a distressed conscience, always magnifies misfortunes." [Wisdom 17:11]

The foregoing fall into the category of possible explanations for the activities, the deceptions of pope John Paul II. The following is considered the probable explanation although it may be considered as being in combination with one or more of the precedent.

5. He is an infiltrator into the Church, that is, a shielded member of the Illuminati; a freemason or a member of some associated organization, a communist or an agent of some opposition government or anti-Catholic group, or an active sympathizer of one of the foregoing.

* "But I now write to you not to associate with anyone named a brother, if he is immoral, greedy, an idolater, a slanderer, a drunkard, or a robber, not even to eat with such a person.

[12] For why should I be judging outsiders? Is it not your business to judge those within?

[13] God will judge those outside. "Purge the evil person from your midst."

[1 Cor. 5:11-13] (An idolater is one who lends credence to the validity of a false god, or promotes false beliefs in association with the true God.)

She (Saint Bridget of Sweden [Birgitta] ) was not sparing of her criticisms, and did not fear to denounce a pope (Urban V) "as a murderer of souls, more unjust than Pilate and more cruel than Judas." [Butler's Lives of the Saints, Vol. 4, p. 55-56]

willow the wip said:
"Beloved, do not trust every spirit but test the spirits to see whether they belong to God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

Imorality comes from with in the church as jesus said i have not come to comdem the world why ?

Becouse the world is already judged.
I had a hard time following your post. It sounds like you are saying "I believe in immortality because I believe in immortality." Just about every religion nowadays offers imortality. So any religion could justify their claims to immortality with their holy book just like you use yours.

Quath

i would not say the bible is immoral neather is God of couse you would not understand i do not expect you to.

Featherbop said:
K-O, if the soul stores no memories, and has no intellect, then how is it, in any way, the person? I don't understand what the significance of a soul with no connection to who/what it used to be?

The soul is the spiritual person. As I said before, memories and intellect are merely physical things that were created with Adam and Eve and will be destroyed. The soul will still exist after the body dies. It will then be judged and then will spen eternity in either heaven or hell.

K-O Stradivarius said:
Featherbop said:

The soul is the spiritual person. As I said before, memories and intellect are merely physical things that were created with Adam and Eve and will be destroyed. The soul will still exist after the body dies. It will then be judged and then will spen eternity in either heaven or hell.

Memories and intellect are not physical things. They are pieces of a person, a soul. They will die with the rest of the person. I will give you, however, that the soul exists after death, but it is dead, just like a dead body exists after death, but it is dead also. I beleive that souls do die, because they do, and its proven with my definition of what a soul is.
I don't believe a lot many things that other christians do, becuase there is no evidence of those things.

picking and choosing

Featherbop said:
K-O Stradivarius said:
Featherbop said:

Memories and intellect are not physical things. They are pieces of a person, a soul. They will die with the rest of the person. I will give you, however, that the soul exists after death, but it is dead, just like a dead body exists after death, but it is dead also. I beleive that souls do die, because they do, and its proven with my definition of what a soul is.
I don't believe a lot many things that other christians do, becuase there is no evidence of those things.
====================
Hey Feathebop are you picking and choosing your religous beliefs or was that last sentence evidence of progress on your part? LOL

Featherbop,

I beleive that souls do die, because they do, and its proven with my definition of what a soul is.

Ever heard of circular reasoning?

In other words, you pick and choose what you want to believe regardless of what the Bible says. That is not Christianity.

John 20:28-29, "28 Thomas answered and said to Him, 'My Lord and my God!' 29 Jesus said to him, 'Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.'"

said--I don't believe a lot many things that other christians do, becuase there is no evidence of those things.

I am still waiting for the evidence, I think that in this guys mind he assumes that his definitions and presumptions are the correct ones, and there for all conclusions should be based on them, and when others conclude other wise, then they are not hearing the evidence.

If I was going to be prosecuted in court, I would want this guy to have the job, because his idea of evidence is so far and lost, that I would scate through the trial with a smile in my face.

When did conjecture become evidence?

Oh, and I am sure that some how I just made up some lie about this guy, he really likes to call me a liar. But so far have not proven that JEsus is Micheal, funny that when I pressed him on that I became a liar.

Did this guy say that or not?

Re: picking and choosing

reznwerks said:
Featherbop said:
K-O Stradivarius said:
Featherbop said:

====================
Hey Feathebop are you picking and choosing your religous beliefs or was that last sentence evidence of progress on your part? LOL

I've had these beleifs for a long time(for the most part), I'm always making progress, and am always looking for evidences to show me right or wrong, I look at everything, Bible, science, physical evidence, personal experiances, etc, etc. I'm not cut out for this board, because these people don't use all available evidence resources.

But if you think I'm becoming an atheists, well, lets just say I hate losing progress to truth.

Said--I'm not cut out for this board, because these people don't use all available evidence resources

This a cop out, first of all we do not reject the evidence, we reject your interpretation of it. It is not that we are not willing to look at the evidence, we are saying that you are wrong in your interpretions of the evidence.

It is you who will only believe what you want to, and refuse to see anything else, so many in here have shown you evidence, and you dismiss it all out of hand with comments, like that is just the way you have been taught, or you do not know the whole bible, or you are not accepting MY evidence.

To be sure that I say this clear, we are not against the evidence, we are for it. We are saying however that you are wrong about your interpration of it all, and more so that your conjecture is not evidence.

Then what are you here for? We must all form beliefs and opinions of things. your saying I interpret evidence inncorrectly, I'm saying you are inncorrect in your interpretation. What are you here for then?

you are agianst evidence. I'm sure of it. You act like people I've seen that will NEVER, EVER beleive anything that is against what they already believe. You show all the signs of it. Its like you are afraid of being wrong. I used to be that way, and then I became sensible, and accepted that I was wrong. I changed.

You haven't shown any of your beliefs to be true. You ripped out of the Bible, a few scriptures that make you look correct, ignored all other evidence out of the few scriptures, and used horrible grammar and spelling all the while. I can't take you seriously.

You must be in a cult 'church', i'm not saying you are, but I know what kind of people are produced from those "churches". I took abuse from them for not agreeing, and even more abuse from showing them wrong.

we are not making progress at all, so when are you going to be finished with this "debating" you are doing? Are you ever gonig to show me wrong? Or just go in circles mindlessly all day?

---Do any two agree?---

Hardly understandable! (for me :wink:)

Eze. 18:4 & Eze. 18:20 states by 'Inspiration' that the [SOUL] that sinneth, IT SHALL DIE. :sad I BELIEVE the Master's twice stated Word!

But what have we here??? :roll:
Well, there will be two class as seen in Matt. 7's walk. (Narrow way & Broadway)

Both have eternal life most say? You know immortal soul.
Then we see that God must let the ones in hell out every so often to eat of the tree of life, (that itself is not INSPIRATION) so they too can be immortal sinners, huh?

What happens to the (again) INSPIRATION that says ONLY GOD HAS IMORTALITY?? 1 Tim. 6:16 (and how could one have unconditional Immortality & not be ETERNAL? see 1 Tim. 1:17)

Anyway: God states that 'some' are flat out wrong, this is so by reading in Gen. 3:22 & Rev. 22:1-2. Interesting how the first book of His [WONDERFUL] WORD indoctrinates our Holy Spirit 'LED' mind,s from Gen. to Rev., huh? :fadein: See 2 Tim. 3:16.

Notice the OBJECT for living eternally is the TREE OF LIFE!

---John

serapha said:
Many times, in surgeries involving the brain, portions of the brain will be removed, yet, the soul remain unaffect, still a "whole" soul.

They are independent... the brain and the soul.

I wouldn't say that. It's long been known that specific types of brain damage can cause massive personality and mental changes. Granted, other parts of the brain can be removed without noticeable ill effect on the mind, but so can relatively unimportant parts of other systems be damaged--the knees, heart, etc.--without causing those to fail. And even those "unimportant" parts, when removed, often impair the system's function in more subtle ways than can be easily detected.

In general, the nervous system provides very strong evidence for complete mind-brain dependence. Conditions like Alzheimer's disease and amnesia can damage or even destroy parts of the mind in perfect unison with the appropriate brain sections.

"This patient, who suffered damage to both his hippocampus and his temporal lobes (thought to be important for storing memories) at age 46, has total anterograde and near-total retrograde amnesia: he cannot form new memories or recall old ones. He is trapped in a permanent present, a void of consciousness without memory.

Indeed, he has no sense of time at all. He cannot tell us the date, and when asked to guess, his responses are wild--as disparate [as] 1942 and 2013.... This patient cannot state his age, either. He can guess, but the guess tends to be wrong. Two of the few specific things he knows for certain are that he was married and that he is the father of two children. But when did he get married? He cannot say. When were the children born? He does not know. He cannot place himself in the time line of his family life. (Damasio 2002, p. 69-71)
(As Dr. Damasio tells us, the patient's wife divorced him over 20 years ago, and his children are long since grown up and married.) Does this man still have a soul? In what sense is he conscious? He is adrift in a world of darkness, a blank void with neither past nor future, merely an ever-moving present that continually fades from sight."

Damage to the frontal lobes can produce massive changes in both personality and mental abilities. Brain damage can even produce a person who's incapable of acquiring new memories - in effect, a mind trapped in the same time and place, one which will revert to his or her old memories every 15 minutes and nonchalantly ask his loved ones why they've aged so much after 20 years of asking them the same question.

A young priest once suffered a stroke that rendered him incapable of feeling sadness. Formerly compassionate and empathetic to his leukemia-stricken sister, he now made jokes about it and didn't understand why he should feel guilty about it. As his father commented, "... He looks like our son and has the same voice as our son, but he is not the same person we knew and loved... He's not the same person he was before he had this stroke. Our son was a warm, caring, and sensitive person. All that is gone. He now sounds like a robot."

"This wrenching story illustrates how a human property as fundamental as compassion arises from the brain and can be destroyed by altering the brain. A warm, caring, intelligent young man of God, as the result of brain damage, underwent a complete and drastic personality change. He became indifferent to his duties, unconcerned about the potentially fatal illness of a loved one, even light-heartedly joking about it with his grief-stricken parents, who said that he was "not the same person [they] knew and loved", not the same person he had been before his stroke. "

The author of that article, which explains a mass of other difficulties and cites many case studies, closes with this apt statement:

"The materialist can explain the effects of frontotemporal dementia without difficulty. How does the dualist explain it? What is happening to these people's souls? Is the deterioration of the brain causing changes to the soul - or are personality traits a quality of the brain and not the soul? But that implies that these traits will be lost upon death. In that case, in what sense will the soul in the afterlife be the same person it was during life?"

I explained that with the example of the siamese twins. If they were sharing a portion of the same brain, they would still have separate souls.... different intellects, different thoughts, different emotions.

No surprise, as even the same brain can have different thoughts and emotions occuring on different parts. Not only does brain damage harm the mind, but certain bizarre conditions can even produce, for all intents and purposes, two damaged minds for the price of one healthy one.

"Research shows that in such split-brain cases, the brain generates what seems to be two separate consciousnesses. Research on split-brain patients led brain scientist and Nobel laureate Roger Sperry to conclude, 'Everything we have seen indicates that the surgery has left these people with two separate minds, that is, two separate spheres of consciousness. What is experienced in the right hemisphere seems to lie entirely outside the realm of the left hemisphere.'" I will expand on this particular point below.

Case studies in severed corpus callosum (the "split brain experiment" alluded to above) more or less spell the death knell for the soul. First, a bit of background on what we can learn from the different hemispheres in healthy people:

split2.gif

Left brain dominates for language, speech, and problem solving
Right brain dominates for visual-motor tasks

"1. Each hemisphere was presented a picture that related to one of four pictures placed in front of the split-brain subject.
2. The left and right hemispheres easily picked the right card. The left hand pointed to the right hemisphere's choice, and the right hand pointed to the left hemisphere's choice.
3. The patient was then asked why the left hand was pointing to the shovel. Only the left hemisphere can talk, and it did not know the answer because the decision to point to the shovel was made in the right hemisphere."

This experiment indicates both sides of the brain are capable of individual thought in some capacity, as if each one had an independent mind. Now we just need to find out whether this curious effect is merely an artifact of our consciousness, or really at odds with self-awareness being the result of a single, indivisible paranormal spirit.

Certain epileptic patients that don't respond to conventional treatment sometimes get the brain halves severed from each other. Amazingly, both halves can go on to develop unique tastes, preferences and beliefs. This indicates once the data link is cut, both can effectively function as "half a soul." In turn, this is quite difficult to reconcile with any remotely traditional model of dualism.

Courtesy of the Macalester College psychology department::

"Before the operation he integrated information between the two hemispheres freely, but after the operation he had two separate minds or mental systems, each with its own abilities to learn, remember, and experience emotion and behavior. Yet, WJ, was not completely aware of the changes in his brain. As Gazzaniga put it: "WJ lives happily in Downey, California, with no sense of the enormity of the findings or for that matter any awareness that he had changed." As previously explained (experiments), words flashed to the right field of vision of patients like WJ could be said and written with the right hand. In contrast, patients couldn't say or write words flashed to their left field of vision [even though they could pick out the object with their hand]."

One brain hemisphere is verbal but has difficulty with certain other functions, while the other can't really talk but has other traits that make up for it. Each of those can, in their own way, identify and describe reality around them, but neither hemisphere has access to the self-awareness or thoughts of the other. Splitting them produces all kinds of anomalous results, like this:

"The patients give evidence of having two differing minds. The best example of this is patient Paul S., whom you read about on the home page. Paul's right hemisphere developed considerable language ability sometime previous to the operation. Although it is uncommon, occasionally the right hemisphere may share substantial neural circuits with, or even dominate, the left hemisphere's centers for language comprehension and production. The fact that Paul's right hemisphere was so well developed in it's verbal capacity opened a closed door for researchers. For almost all split brain patients, the thoughts and perceptions of the right hemisphere are locked away from expression. Researchers were finally able to interview both hemispheres on their views about friendship, love, hate and aspirations.

Paul's right hemisphere stated that he wanted to be an automobile racer while his left hemisphere wanted to be a draftsman. Both hemispheres were asked to write whether they liked or disliked a series of items. The study was performed during the Watergate scandal, and one of the items was Richard Nixon. Paul's right hemisphere expressed 'dislike,' while his left expressed 'like.'"

In light of these and other facts, the existence of the soul is effectively falsified unless one postulates an enormous number of ad hoc hypotheses to salvage it from the data. A modus operandi that tells us nothing about truth, and in fact usually obscures it.

If the soul existed, people wouldn't suffer Alzheimer's disease, couldn't be anesthetized, wouldn't have radical personality changes caused by tumors, and would, if brain hemispheres were split, either die or show a mysterious, spooky data link was still operating at a distance to make both hemispheres consistent with a single mind.

The difference can best be described as thin-client/mainframe vs. personal computing. In one device, the "consciousness" would run on an inaccessible device some distance away from the client, getting its instructions from a network connection. Damaging the client (i.e. body) would leave the files and processes (consciousness) on the mainframe as safe as ever, but it would only produce erratic results in the client.

If a part of the client's processor was damaged, you would feel as fine and clear-headed as you usually would, but your sources of input from the physical world would progressively fail until the link was severed, at which point you would experience conscious, total sensory deprivation (assuming no other source of input was provided, this is a nightmarish scenario).

You couldn't lose any memories, personality and self-awareness, because it would be safe and indestructible on the server. At worst, you could only lose the ability to express it to others successfully as the body went, but it would affect all memories equally, not apparently destroy some while leaving others entirely untouched.

As a further analogy, you could destroy your client's ability to present Microsoft Word documents to others, but you could never find that a specific DOC was missing on the mainframe from damage entirely limited to the client side.

This is not what occurs--in fact, the exact opposite is observed. People really forget things because of brain damage. Chemical changes in the brain can induce depression and other personality changes. Self-awareness itself goes bye-bye if you're knocked on the head, anesthetized or asleep. And, of course, the "soul" is somehow split in two, directly correlated with physical splits to the brain itself. Thus, there's only one conclusion you can honestly draw from the neurological evidence. You're not an indestructible entity using a fragile gateway to the physical world--you are the gateway, on which every single aspect of yourself is stored. Once it goes, so do "you." So enjoy it while it lasts. 8-)

Back